Sabotaged food?? - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

#31 Old 04-28-2011, 09:54 AM
Veggie Regular

Wow VegRunnerLady, I can't believe she did that! I would start screaming my head off!

Chillin' in my blue jeans!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 04-28-2011, 10:08 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegRunnerLady View Post

This is kinda long:

My mother-in-law does this. The first few times, I gave her the benefit of the doubt and assumed it was an accident. The last time it happened, I watched her read the ingredients. It took her kind of a while to read them, so I was about to ask her if there was anything she wasn't sure about, but she turned around, smiled at me, and said, "Yep, it's vegan". So, I trusted her.

On the way home, I started getting really bad stomach cramps, my husband said his stomach was a little upset also. So, when I got home I went online and checked the ingredients of the can of mixed greens she had fed us. It was a very short ingredient list, about 6 or 7 items and 3 of them were animal products. Not obscure animal products either. I'm talking lard, bacon fat, and pork fat. I realized it took her so long to read the ingredients, not because she was unsure of something, but because she was trying to decide if she could get away with it.

I was FURIOUS. I later told her it was unacceptable to lie to me about what's in my food. My husband and I were both sick because of what she did. Did she apologize? Nope. She said "Lying is a very strong word, young lady! I would never try to hurt you! Why are you trying to hurt me?" Yeah, she tried to guilt-trip me. Rediculous. I didn't say anything else to her about it, I just avoided her. I'm not really interested in dealing with that type of person - family or not.

The next time I saw her, she attacked me. I told her I would like an apology and a promise that it wouldn't happen again. She kept insisting that she didn't lie. Eventually, she apologized...sort of. She'd say, "I'm sorry, but not really. I didn't do anything wrong. If you can't accept my apology then that's on you." Uhhh, what am I supposed to do with that? She later resorted to personal attacks: "You've alienated your entire family and now you're trying to alienate mine." Uhhh? She doesn't know my family nor do I talk to her about them. And trust me, we get along great. "I hope you break your leg!" and she told my husband he deserves a better wife right infront of me. My husband and I left and went home.

On the way home, I got a text from her that said "Are we going to get over this, we're family."

I haven't spoken to her since. This was last Thanksgiving. I just don't want to deal with her. Really, it's not so much that there were animal products in my food, it's that she lied to me, tried to guilt trip me about it, and then said my husband deserved a better wife.

What...the...??? Wow...Is this woman 5 years old?? And a demon? How could a person be so mean and so immature?? I'm so sorry you had to go through that!
#33 Old 04-28-2011, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluejeans84 View Post

Wow VegRunnerLady, I can't believe she did that! I would start screaming my head off!

LOL, well, I am extrememly non-confrontational. I'm usually a pretty calm, easy-going person, I didn't scream at her, but it was really hard to keep my temper in check.

I can't believe her pride is more important to her than our relationship. I didn't ask her to grovel at my feet and beg for my forgiveness, I just wanted some sort of acknowlegement that she actually cares about my feelings. I have forgiven her - for my own sanity really. But, I will never be able to trust her again, and I can't get the "you deserve better" to my husband out of my head. It's really sad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 04-28-2011, 11:37 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

LOL, well, I am extrememly non-confrontational. I'm usually a pretty calm, easy-going person, I didn't scream at her, but it was really hard to keep my temper in check.

I can't believe her pride is more important to her than our relationship. I didn't ask her to grovel at my feet and beg for my forgiveness, I just wanted some sort of acknowlegement that she actually cares about my feelings. I have forgiven her - for my own sanity really. But, I will never be able to trust her again, and I can't get the "you deserve better" to my husband out of my head. It's really sad.

I'm so sorry. If it helps, my grandmother is sometimes a lunatic, too. xD How did your husband feel about the whole thing?

#35 Old 04-28-2011, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluejeans84 View Post

I'm so sorry. If it helps, my grandmother is sometimes a lunatic, too. xD How did your husband feel about the whole thing?

He didn't really say much while we were arguing, just that it's happened several times, so how can he believe it was an accident? I know it was kind of an awkward position for him to be in. He's even more non-confrontational than I am. After we left, he told me he was proud of me for standing up to her, but I'd never get an apology from her, she'll never admit she was wrong. It's pretty much pointless to argue with her. He said that when he went over to her house for Christmas, he told her she was in the wrong here and not to bring it up again.

He doesn't visit her much anymore. We used to go hang out with her and her husband 2-3 times a month. He's only been up there 2 or 3 times since Thanksgiving. He'll call once in a while, but that's about it.

btw - my husband is vegan too, so he definitely wasn't happy with her.
#36 Old 04-28-2011, 12:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

He didn't really say much while we were arguing, just that it's happened several times, so how can he believe it was an accident? I know it was kind of an awkward position for him to be in. He's even more non-confrontational than I am. After we left, he told me he was proud of me for standing up to her, but I'd never get an apology from her, she'll never admit she was wrong. It's pretty much pointless to argue with her. He said that when he went over to her house for Christmas, he told her she was in the wrong here and not to bring it up again.

He doesn't visit her much anymore. We used to go hang out with her and her husband 2-3 times a month. He's only been up there 2 or 3 times since Thanksgiving. He'll call once in a while, but that's about it.

btw - my husband is vegan too, so he definitely wasn't happy with her.

The whole situation was so unfair. She should be able to take responsibility for her actions. I'm glad your husband agreed with you.

#37 Old 04-28-2011, 12:53 PM
Veggie Regular

VRL: Sorry, that sucks. Your mother-in-law kinda sounds like a crazy *****. No offense.
#38 Old 04-28-2011, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbivorous B.I.G. View Post

VRL: Sorry, that sucks. Your mother-in-law kinda sounds like a crazy *****. No offense.

LOL, she is!
The whole situation is crazy! I mean what's the point of sabotaging someone's food? So you can laugh behind their back? This woman is in her 50's. She should know better.

Luckily, she's the only person that I have a problem with. I'll occasionally get some teasing from my friends and family, but they'll all go out of their way to make sure I have vegan food. My dad made the entire Thanksgiving dinner (except the turkey) vegan and my little sister made me some freakin' awesome candies for Christmas last year. So, really I have it pretty good.
#39 Old 04-28-2011, 02:11 PM

this has happened to me ALOT!!!! like i was grabbing soy sauce for my vegetable fried rice one time and my sister hid a piece of fried chicken in it. another time my dad made mashed potatoes and gravy. i specifically asked if it was veg and he said yes. i finished eating it and he said that there was bacon grease in it. i was super pissed!! i was gonna punch him in the face. then i called him a douche-bag and i got grounded. how ****ty is that?!?!?!?
#40 Old 04-28-2011, 02:14 PM
Veggie Regular

No one has ever intentionally tried to feed me meat, and I've been around some people who were pretty adamantly against veg*nism. It's pretty amazing to me that a friend or family member would sabotage someone's food like that. It's so disrespectful. I'm not sure how I would react if someone did something like that to me. My opinion of that person would drop pretty drastically, and I certainly would never eat anything that person made for me ever again. I'd probably forgive them just for the sake of harmony if they sincerely apologized, (and I better believe that they meant it) but the trust would be gone. Relationships without trust are pretty superficial.

What an idiotic thing to have to deal with. I'm sorry for anyone who's had to experience this first hand.

"I am a woman of science. At least that's what my horoscope said."
#41 Old 04-28-2011, 02:14 PM
Arrrg! Me mateys.

When I was 11 I made my friend try a bit of my sandwiches to test if they were meat or not. I think I'd do that mostly because she gave a funny "Eeewwwww!!" reaction when she'd eat it, but I know she loved it.

But I don't believe I've had any food sabotaged by family. I remembered being offered chicken soup and stuff after I was already vegetarian for a couple years, but that's pretty much it.

korrakorrakorrakorrakorra
#42 Old 04-28-2011, 03:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by death_2_egg-farms View Post

this has happened to me ALOT!!!! like i was grabbing soy sauce for my vegetable fried rice one time and my sister hid a piece of fried chicken in it. another time my dad made mashed potatoes and gravy. i specifically asked if it was veg and he said yes. i finished eating it and he said that there was bacon grease in it. i was super pissed!! i was gonna punch him in the face. then i called him a douche-bag and i got grounded. how ****ty is that?!?!?!?

Wow, I hear of dads that are against their kid's veg*nism, but he should have known better than to disrespect your beliefs like that. My mom would *try* do it a lot so I just make all of my own meals now.

#43 Old 04-28-2011, 04:11 PM
Rat Queen/Mouse Matriarch

When I first went veg, my dad tried to sneak meat into my food quite often so I started preparing my own things to eat. My aunt frequently offered me non-veg*n foods and I caught her lying to me about ingredients so I don't accept food from her anymore. Her husband is someone I can trust though. I also haven't seen her since she switched to an almost fully vegetarian diet for an illness she was recently diagnosed with (doc's orders) so maybe she'd be a bit more understanding these days.

I can't abandon the person I used to be, so I carry her.
#44 Old 04-28-2011, 04:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Wow I really feel for you guys. I've never had anyone even attempt to do that to me on purpose. At least not when it comes to family/friends. There's been plenty of times at restaurants where I've had it happen though.

Would your friends/family still sabotage your food if you had a possible deadly reaction to a certain ingredient? Would they be that much of an ******* to compromise your health or even your life?
#45 Old 04-29-2011, 04:39 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm so glad no one has done this to me! I'd be beyond angry!!!!

Went vegetarian on the 27th December 2013!
#46 Old 04-29-2011, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

Would your friends/family still sabotage your food if you had a possible deadly reaction to a certain ingredient? Would they be that much of an ******* to compromise your health or even your life?

Yes. My husband is allergic to dairy. His mother fed it to him all the time. Her excuse is that she doesn't think he's THAT allergic to it.
#47 Old 04-29-2011, 06:47 AM
Veggie Regular

My mother is coming to pick me up at my place in about an hour, and we're going to Boston for the day. And I'm always excited to hang out with my mom.

But honest to God, the stories some of you guys have told about your parents... It makes me want to buy my mom presents and flowers. I'm not proud to admit it, but I'd absolutely punch some of your parents in the teeth if they were my parents.

Actual Content: No one has intentionally fed me any animal products that I'm aware of. Accidentally, yes, it's happened. But whatever. We live and learn.
Purp likes this.
#48 Old 04-29-2011, 07:48 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppet Master View Post

When I was 11 I made my friend try a bit of my sandwiches to test if they were meat or not. I think I'd do that mostly because she gave a funny "Eeewwwww!!" reaction when she'd eat it, but I know she loved it.

But I don't believe I've had any food sabotaged by family. I remembered being offered chicken soup and stuff after I was already vegetarian for a couple years, but that's pretty much it.

That's pretty cute. Like having a royal taster or whatever the people who tasted the king's food to make sure it wasn't poisoned were called.

"My body will not be a tomb for other creatures."
 Leonardo da Vinci
#49 Old 04-30-2011, 05:25 PM
Banned

As far as I know no one has done this to me, yet, but I have been around a few people who have a think for making mooing, oinking, or clucking sounds while eating. It's sick, but then again a lot of restaurants seem to have a thing for putting a picture of the prey that goes into their signature dish on their logo. I think really most carnivores feel guilty deep down inside even if they won't admit it to themselves, and cracking sick jokes about the process is their way of coping with the fact that they're eating flesh and that they don't think there's anything they can do about it.
#50 Old 04-30-2011, 07:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Yes. My husband is allergic to dairy. His mother fed it to him all the time. Her excuse is that she doesn't think he's THAT allergic to it.

That's sick. Way to be a caring mom
#51 Old 04-30-2011, 07:42 PM
Banned

I'm sure I put my fist or foot through something when my mom did the sneaky trick with bacon grease. I just had to let it go when my Grandma sneaked the egg in the pancakes.
A man never tried that **** with me, cause any man around me knows there's a fine line between me not kicking his ass and sending him through a second story window.
Got to be female and up in age to live through it, with me.
#52 Old 05-01-2011, 08:23 AM
Veggie Regular

Accidents have happened but I don't think anyone has ever purposefully fed me something with meat and lied about it. Aside from a few people being a little annoying and repeating the same protein concerns over and over, everyone has been real cool about my switch.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page