Does Taco Bell Know About Us? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-17-2004, 12:13 PM
Veggie Regular

We discuss them so often as one of the very, very few fast joints that are relatively veg-friendly, and that quite a few of us patronize.

Were I to find myself in an unexpected hungry situation, that's where I would go, just based on all the info I've read on VB.

Lots of VBers have contacted them to verify ingredients and all ... just got me wondering if they realize that they're the fast food restaurant of choice for so many veggie people. (After all, they *could* just as easily use lard, gelatin, etc. in many items, but for whatever reason do not.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-17-2004, 01:12 PM
Veggie Regular

That is a good question! I know places like BK does because PETA protested them into adding the veggie burger on their menus.. but Taco Bell has never been subject to any sort of bad media from the activists that I know of.

But, then again, they do have some sort of alliance with KFC don't they? Here in the south, KFCs and Taco Bells all have the same building (like Arbys and Cinnabons do)
#3 Old 02-17-2004, 01:16 PM
Banned

Hehe. I bet it's just cheaper to leave the animal ingredients out. Fast food joints are all about saving money.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-17-2004, 01:20 PM
Veggie Regular

I go to TacoBell in a pinch as well. I might write a letter saying " for being veg*n (can we still use that )!"

I'd rather go there than BK or any other fast food joint. If I have to get fast food.
#5 Old 02-17-2004, 01:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artichoke47 View Post

Hehe. I bet it's just cheaper to leave the animal ingredients out. Fast food joints are all about saving money.

Yes, this crossed my mind. It could be true! And yet there are so many products that appear to have no need for animal ingredients, and yet contain them. I don't know as much as I could or should about the economic aspect.

#6 Old 02-17-2004, 01:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by anndr0id View Post

That is a good question! I know places like BK does because PETA protested them into adding the veggie burger on their menus.. but Taco Bell has never been subject to any sort of bad media from the activists that I know of.

But, then again, they do have some sort of alliance with KFC don't they? Here in the south, KFCs and Taco Bells all have the same building (like Arbys and Cinnabons do)

Yep, KFC and Taco Bell and Pizza Hut are all owned by the same company. PETA is working with the parent company to adopt animal welfare reforms. (See LINK). But as someone else suggested, I think it just has more to do with money. I hardly ever go to Taco Bell (prefer BK and sub shops), but I'm glad so many vegan options exist there. =)
#7 Old 02-17-2004, 02:08 PM
Veggie Regular

I dunno really. The vegetarian situation is different in teh US than it is in the UK. In the UK, if you leave the vegetarians out, then you're f**ked, so almost every restaurant will take tiem to consider vegetarians, as you're obviously going to get them.

But I think that taco bell might be aware of vegetarians. If they become more aware, tehn they might start to develop the menu to accomodate vegetarians even more. You never know. But it would be a good idea to be positivce and upbeat about taco bell. From the sound of it, American fast food restaurants tend to be very veg-unfriendly, and taco bell seems to be an exception.
#8 Old 02-17-2004, 02:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by anndr0id View Post

Pepsico owns KFC, Taco Bell, Pizza Hut, and Frito-Lay. (Used to work at KFC...)
#9 Old 02-17-2004, 02:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post

I dunno really. The vegetarian situation is different in teh US than it is in the UK. In the UK, if you leave the vegetarians out, then you're f**ked, so almost every restaurant will take tiem to consider vegetarians, as you're obviously going to get them.

But I think that taco bell might be aware of vegetarians. If they become more aware, tehn they might start to develop the menu to accomodate vegetarians even more. You never know. But it would be a good idea to be positivce and upbeat about taco bell. From the sound of it, American fast food restaurants tend to be very veg-unfriendly, and taco bell seems to be an exception.

I am about an hour from Santa Fe, and find it surprising that it is so difficult to find a vegetarian meal at night. Daytime is no problem. Apparently, people are only vegetarian during the day. (*sarcasm*)
#10 Old 02-17-2004, 04:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Baja Fresh, here in California, recently expanded their menu of vegetarian Mexican food, but it gave way not long after for Atkins-friendly low-carb products. The food is still available to order, but it isn't on the menu.
#11 Old 02-17-2004, 05:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Pepsi owns Prizm, formerly Tricon, which owns the 3 restaurants.

maybe we all should write an email to TB thanking them for considering us and encouraging them to develop more vegetarian menu items

and then write to KFC and ask why they can't be more like their little brother

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
#12 Old 02-17-2004, 10:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Actually I think a main reason they are veg-friendly is because for some reason they have a high number of hindu customers, or at least that's why at the one I worked at! When I worked there, substituting things costed extra, except for subsituting beans instead of meat, to make things fair for Hindus. Sounds kinda odd actually...
#13 Old 02-17-2004, 10:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFaile View Post

maybe we all should write an email to TB thanking them for considering us and encouraging them to develop more vegetarian menu items

That's a nice idea! Even if their veg-friendliness is inadvertent, it couldn't hurt to give them some positive feedback for it.
#14 Old 02-19-2004, 03:10 PM

i always found it very weird that wendy's does not have a veggie burger choice.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page