McDonalds Fries and Natural Beef Flavor - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-09-2011, 01:30 AM

I had a craving for some McDonald's french fries tonight and ordered some. Later on I went to their website to find out how many calories I had eaten and the ingredient list stated that they were flavored with natural beef flavor. So they're cooking their fries with cow? I would have never known. I just feel like they could choose another ingredient. I know McDonalds' isn't the healthiest but I do get that craving every once in a while. Sometimes you just don't know what foods are truly vegetarian.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-09-2011, 01:43 AM
Veggie Regular

I have heard about that, it's a real shame. Ridiculous and unnecessary really.

Mcdonald's fries in Canada are vegan though, we're lucky we have a large Hindu population and there were some lawsuits. Apparently they are vegan in the UK as well?

I just spent way too long trying to find a way to copy paste the Canadian ingredients list from the McDonald's Canada website but it wouldn't work. Anywho I got the info here: http://www.mcdonalds.ca/NutritionCal.../index_en.html

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#3 Old 02-09-2011, 01:45 AM
Veggie Regular

Seriously? That sucks!! At least we won't be supporting that awful company.

ÂNothing can cure the soul but the senses, just as nothing can cure the senses but the soul. - Oscar Wilde
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-09-2011, 08:55 AM
Veggie Regular

Yep. About a decade ago they were sued by a group of Hindus for not disclosing that their fries contain beef. While McD's did not change the ingredients, they have begun posting them online.

slops, gloops, and gruels.
#5 Old 02-09-2011, 09:02 AM
Veggie Regular

It doesn't seem like it would be hard to change that. It is even more frustrating to see animal products in things that really don't need them. Once I saw cookies with beer fat in them... cookies!!

ÂNothing can cure the soul but the senses, just as nothing can cure the senses but the soul. - Oscar Wilde
#6 Old 02-09-2011, 09:08 AM
Banned

McDonald's fries are Vegetarian Society Approved here in the UK. (That also means that there's no chance of contamination from the meat fryers or anything.)

That suck though
#7 Old 02-09-2011, 09:13 AM
Veggie Regular

I heard that years ago from my brother. At first I thought he was messing with me, but it turned out to be true. But my mom told they stopped doing it, I would be surprised if she was just flat out lying. She doesn't really respect my decision. Luckily, I've learned not to fall so easily for that. BTW, I for one was surprised to learn that cool whip has beef fat in it!

Chillin' in my blue jeans!
#8 Old 02-09-2011, 09:15 AM
Veggie Regular

BTW, doesn't PETA have something against them? I never looked in to that much, because I don't really like PETA. But still.

Chillin' in my blue jeans!
#9 Old 02-09-2011, 09:37 AM
The prowling wolf

Which vegetarian wouldn't have something against MC'Ds if they know how they cause mass animal slaughter under the worst possible circumstances?

Nothing tastes as good as compassion feels.
#10 Old 02-09-2011, 10:14 AM
Veggie Regular

McDonald's has used a beef-derived flavoring in their fries for many years. My understanding is that they used to fry them with a small amount of beef tallow to get their signature flavor, but now they use they use the beef flavoring to get the same flavor while frying them in vegetable oil. In the US, they have probably never been vegetarian. The hash browns also contain the beef flavoring. You can read the ingredients of all their menu items online: Ingredients list (pdf)
#11 Old 02-09-2011, 10:16 AM
Arrrg! Me mateys.

At the factory where they are made, they are cooked with bovines. At the 'restaurant', they are finished cooking in the fryer with vegetable oil.
I remember when I found out about it. Made me sick, but also happy, because that stuff is gross and there isn't a single reason I should support that company anyways.

korrakorrakorrakorrakorra
#12 Old 02-09-2011, 11:44 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkwingDuckie View Post

It doesn't seem like it would be hard to change that. It is even more frustrating to see animal products in things that really don't need them. Once I saw cookies with beef fat in them... cookies!!

That's a common ingredient in Hostess products: Ding Dongs, Twinkies, etc. Oreos used to have beef fat many years ago.

‎"One meal, soon forgotten, in exchange for a whole life." Author Unknown
"Fur is worn by beautiful animals and ugly people"

#13 Old 02-09-2011, 07:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by peace View Post

Yep. About a decade ago they were sued by a group of Hindus for not disclosing that their fries contain beef. While McD's did not change the ingredients, they have begun posting them online.

Huh, it seems weird they'd change the ingredients here but not there. I guess there was a lot more pressure here?

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#14 Old 02-09-2011, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkwingDuckie View Post

It doesn't seem like it would be hard to change that. It is even more frustrating to see animal products in things that really don't need them. Once I saw cookies with beer fat in them... cookies!!

Isn't that gross? Until I went veg, I never realized how much random stuff like cookies, pies and such have meat in them somewhere.
#15 Old 02-09-2011, 08:31 PM
Veggie Regular

I wouldn't support McDonald's by purchasing their heart attack inducing, blood sugar rising, obesity causing grease coated sh*t they try to pass off as food in the first place.

There are no reasons to not go vegan, only excuses.
#16 Old 02-09-2011, 08:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by whisper View Post

That's a common ingredient in Hostess products: Ding Dongs, Twinkies, etc. Oreos used to have beef fat many years ago.

Everything used to have beef fat in it many years ago, until they discovered hydrogenated vegetable oil which is cheaper and easier to preserve.
#17 Old 02-10-2011, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnerVeggie View Post

McDonald's has used a beef-derived flavoring in their fries for many years. My understanding is that they used to fry them with a small amount of beef tallow to get their signature flavor, but now they use they use the beef flavoring to get the same flavor while frying them in vegetable oil. In the US, they have probably never been vegetarian. The hash browns also contain the beef flavoring. You can read the ingredients of all their menu items online: Ingredients list (pdf)

Their hash browns too. That sucks!
#18 Old 02-10-2011, 10:52 AM
Veggie Regular

That sucks! I thought they removed the beef flavoring after the lawsuit. Just another reason not to eat there!

ÂAn animalÂs eyes have the power to speak a great language.Â
ÂMartin Buber
#19 Old 02-12-2011, 07:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppet Master View Post

At the factory where they are made, they are cooked with bovines. At the 'restaurant', they are finished cooking in the fryer with vegetable oil.
I remember when I found out about it. Made me sick, but also happy, because that stuff is gross and there isn't a single reason I should support that company anyways.

I agree. McDonald's sucks and it's yet another reason to NOT go there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeLines View Post

I wouldn't support McDonald's by purchasing their heart attack inducing, blood sugar rising, obesity causing grease coated sh*t they try to pass off as food in the first place.

I couldn't have said it better myself.
#20 Old 02-12-2011, 07:40 PM
Veggie Regular

It bothers me that Mcdonald's has never claimed any of their food to be vegetarian.

DON'T BRING MY MOTHER INTO THIS!
#21 Old 02-12-2011, 08:27 PM
Veggie Regular

I knew about the fries but didn't know about the hash browns... bummer, but good to know. Honestly, even aside from the beef flavoring, the list of ingredients for their fries is waaay too long. There is absolutely no reason french fries should need to contain anything but potatoes, vegetable oil, and salt.
#22 Old 02-12-2011, 08:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlend View Post

I knew about the fries but didn't know about the hash browns... bummer, but good to know. Honestly, even aside from the beef flavoring, the list of ingredients for their fries is waaay too long. There is absolutely no reason french fries should need to contain anything but potatoes, vegetable oil, and salt.

I agree, you could even make fries without salt if you wanted to.

DON'T BRING MY MOTHER INTO THIS!
#23 Old 02-12-2011, 08:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Fries are so much better anyway when they actually taste like fresh-cut potatoes.

I make my own baked "fries" by just tossing them in a little salt and olive oil and baking them on a cookie sheet. They are so easy and just as yummy as any fries I've ever had when dipped in ketchup. Actually, this discussion is really making me want to go make some now.
#24 Old 02-12-2011, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

I have heard about that, it's a real shame. Ridiculous and unnecessary really.

Mcdonald's fries in Canada are vegan though, we're lucky we have a large Hindu population and there were some lawsuits. Apparently they are vegan in the UK as well?

I just spent way too long trying to find a way to copy paste the Canadian ingredients list from the McDonald's Canada website but it wouldn't work. Anywho I got the info here: http://www.mcdonalds.ca/NutritionCal.../index_en.html

What? I've been avoiding McDonalds fries here in Canada because I thought they had beef in them everywhere...
I supose That's good anyway, as McDonalds isn't good for you at all.
I've also had a realization lately that even though some companies make vegan options, maybe I shouldn't be supporting them by buying their vegan products so they can kill more animals for their non-vegan products... meh, I have to eat something
#25 Old 02-12-2011, 09:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Before I became a vegetarian I use to get dollar menu and I always regretted getting the fries because they salt them so freaking much it becomes unenjoyable. I didn't know about the beef favoring but I have stopped supporting them for a while now. Get better fries from elsewhere.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.
-Buddha
#26 Old 02-12-2011, 10:07 PM
Veggie Regular

When I want fries I take a few regular baked potatos and cut them up to fry size. I then put them in our deep fryer we have one. It tastes way much more better then MCcruelity
#27 Old 02-12-2011, 10:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacefulveglady View Post

When I want fries I take a few regular baked potatos and cut them up to fry size. I then put them in our deep fryer we have one. It tastes way much more better then MCcruelity

On a scale of 1-10 their fries are 0! People shouldn't waste their time with that trash, you could get better fries at freaking wendys.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.
-Buddha
#28 Old 02-12-2011, 10:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by keishari View Post

On a scale of 1-10 their fries are 0! People shouldn't waste their time with that trash, you could get better fries at freaking wendys.

Wendy's fries are flavored with beef too.

There are no reasons to not go vegan, only excuses.
#29 Old 02-13-2011, 12:48 AM
Veggie Regular

Wendy's fries ingredients:
Medium Fries
Potatoes, Vegetable Oil (contains one or more of the following oils: canola, soybean, cottonseed, sunflower, corn), Dextrose, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate (to maintain natural color). Cooked in Vegetable Oil (soybean oil, corn oil, cottonseed oil, hydrogenated soybean oil, natural flavor [vegetable], citric acid [preservative], dimethylpolysiloxane [anti-foaming agent]). Cooked in the same oil as menu items that contain Wheat, Egg, Milk, and Fish (where available). Seasoned with Sea Salt.
So, according to their website, Wendy's fries don't contain any beef flavoring.
#30 Old 02-13-2011, 02:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeLines View Post

Wendy's fries are flavored with beef too.

Darn

-Buddha

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page