"Vegetarian" label - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 20Likes

#1 Old 01-31-2011, 01:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Is the "vegetarian" label more common in the UK than the USA? When I was there it certainly seemed so. Why? There are significant veggie/vegan movements in both the UK and USA but UK business' and packaging certainly seem to be more vegetarian friendly.

"It is far better to be happy than to have your bodies act as graveyards for animals. Accordingly, the apostle Matthew partook of seeds, nuts and vegetables, without flesh"- Clement of Alexandria
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-31-2011, 01:52 PM
Veggie Regular

How many vegetarians are there in the UK?

Look How EASY it is to be Vegan: http://dailyveganeats.tumblr.com (Tumblr blog); http://twitter.com/dailyveganeats (by-the-meal Tweets!)
Why Vegans Shouldn't Worry About (and how to add in more)...
Protein: http://tinyurl.com/2uquvh7, Iron: http://tinyurl.com/3anud79, Calcium:...
#3 Old 01-31-2011, 02:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Apprently around 4 million veggies in the UK and 178,000 vegans. Not sure how accurate that is though, or what it's like in the US. That's also not including people who simple can't eat dairy/eggs/certain meats etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-31-2011, 03:18 PM
Veggie Regular

The vegetarian label is really common here; most companies use it. I think it -may- have something to do with labelling laws, or something.

Or maybe they just know we're more likely to eat it if we see that v.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#5 Old 02-01-2011, 09:10 AM
Super Moderator

UK, I am very jealous of your veg*n labeling.
#6 Old 02-01-2011, 09:30 AM
Ira
Banned

we don't have the label in Canada. I wish we did
#7 Old 02-01-2011, 02:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, Americans tend to be jealous when we hear that food in the UK is easily labeled to identify veg*n products. I still don't understand why American companies don't do that.

--Fromper
#8 Old 02-04-2011, 12:43 PM
sai

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeryFairy View Post

I think it -may- have something to do with labelling laws, or something.

As far as I know there aren't any laws in the UK about veg*n labelling, but there are official guidelines:

'In 2006 the Food Standards Agency (FSA) published guidance designed to improve food labelling for vegans and vegetarians. It was produced after consultation with stakeholders including the Vegetarian Society and the Vegan Society and provides "official" criteria for the use of the terms vegetarian and vegan on food labels for the first time.'
http://www.vegsoc.org/page.aspx?pid=767
#9 Old 02-04-2011, 02:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fromper View Post

Yeah, Americans tend to be jealous when we hear that food in the UK is easily labeled to identify veg*n products. I still don't understand why American companies don't do that.

--Fromper

Trader Joe's labels their products. I'm hoping that other companies notice that some veg*ns shop there just because of that so we don't have to stand there for 1/2 hour squinting at labels every time we shop.
cherries likes this.
#10 Old 02-04-2011, 02:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Every supermarket, and most companies, label their products as vegetarian if they are. All crisps, chocolate, ready meals, sweets, etc that I can think of do, although it's been a while since I was vegetarian (ie: rather than vegan) so other people might be able to give a better idea of how much %age wise. Some companies label things vegan, a couple of the main supermarkets and one of the main drugstores do (obviously as well as specific vegan products). The marjority of resturaunts with a big menu (ie: not one or two options places, but places with a lots of options) have a vegetarian section or label their vegetarian options with a V.

I figured everywhere was the same untill I came on these forums and saw that it wasn't the case!

I always figured its because we had a bigger population of vegetarians but I don't know if that's true. There's been a big increase on vegan labelling in the past few years inthe UK that I've noticed.
#11 Old 02-04-2011, 02:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Well, I'm here in the U.S.A and it's a rare occasion I see something labeled "Vegetarian" or "Vegan". I've learned to deal with it. (With lots of help from the internet).

Chillin' in my blue jeans!
#12 Old 02-04-2011, 09:45 PM
Riot Nrrrd

The words 'vegetarian' and 'vegan' were both coined in the UK. Probably has nothing to do with contemporary usage, but an interesting tidbit.

'Vegetarian' by some unknown individual mid 1800s. It was introduced into general usage and formally defined by the Vegetarian Society (Manchester) in 1847. There are a handful of usages prior to the foundation of the Vegetarian Society, all but one of these usages definitely associated with the group behind the Vegetarian Society. The one exception has clear links to this group of people though.

'Vegan' by Donald Watson in 1944. The American Vegan Society doesn't come along until the 60s.

Isn't history fun

Dave in MPLS / DISCLAIMER: I am not an actual rooster.
"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 18002738255
#13 Old 02-04-2011, 09:57 PM
Veggie Regular

in the US the supermarket Wegmans labels their store brand with several icons and one of them is a 'V' which stands for vegan. its very convenient and they have a lot of vegan products. i have been noticing a lot of vegan symbols these days on random products, but mostly stuff i pick up from whole foods or from the health section of a grocery store.
cherries likes this.

http://www.butikiteas.com
#14 Old 02-04-2011, 10:21 PM
Riot Nrrrd

Where are Wegman's located? I'm not familiar with that chain.

Dave in MPLS / DISCLAIMER: I am not an actual rooster.
"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 18002738255
#15 Old 02-05-2011, 12:49 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in MPLS View Post

Where are Wegman's located? I'm not familiar with that chain.

northeast, US

http://www.butikiteas.com
#16 Old 02-05-2011, 07:32 AM
Beginner

My personal conspiracy theory is that, in the US, meat producers carry so much clout that they have kept vegetarian labeling from becoming mainstream because it would promote veg*nism as a viable alternative. I have absolutely no factual support for this! :P
cherries likes this.
#17 Old 02-05-2011, 08:12 AM

...-

#18 Old 02-07-2011, 03:24 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sai View Post

As far as I know there aren't any laws in the UK about veg*n labelling, but there are official guidelines:

'In 2006 the Food Standards Agency (FSA) published guidance designed to improve food labelling for vegans and vegetarians. It was produced after consultation with stakeholders including the Vegetarian Society and the Vegan Society and provides "official" criteria for the use of the terms vegetarian and vegan on food labels for the first time.'
http://www.vegsoc.org/page.aspx?pid=767

That's kind of what I meant; I knew there was no specific law saying that companies had to mark things as veggie, but there are clear guidelines as to what is and isn't veg*n. I suppose this makes it easier for companies to know which labels to put on things. Also, the vegetarian and vegan societies will put their own logo on certain products, so you know those are absolutely safe.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#19 Old 02-07-2011, 05:57 PM

Trader Joe's has awesome labeling but in general most manufacturers in the US don't
cherries and EvilCartman like this.
#20 Old 02-12-2011, 06:42 AM
Beginner

In the UK, Tesco's, Asda and Sainsbury all label most of it with a "V" which I imagine is for vegetarian.
Checking things of course, is the way to go.

Vegetarian since October 1983
#21 Old 02-12-2011, 10:00 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickenpets View Post

My personal conspiracy theory is that, in the US, meat producers carry so much clout that they have kept vegetarian labeling from becoming mainstream because it would promote veg*nism as a viable alternative. I have absolutely no factual support for this! :P

That's my theory as well. The United States seems more meat-obsessed and opposed to vegetarians, too.
#22 Old 02-12-2011, 10:58 AM
Veggie Regular

I'd much rather buy foods with short ingredients lists than have a vegetarian or vegan label stamped on everything. I'm going to read the ingredients anyway.
#23 Old 02-13-2011, 10:35 PM

I hate always having to read the ingredients label on every product when at the grocery store. A giant "V" would save me so much time and energy.
#24 Old 05-09-2016, 11:40 AM

I've noticed that almost everything vegetarian is labelled vegetarian but not so much vegan, although it's becoming a LOT more common woo! Also I don't know if it's the same in the US but allergens are always highlighted which makes packing easier to read for things like milk products, egg, fish etc.
David3 likes this.
#25 Old 05-10-2016, 04:44 AM
Lifelong vegetarian

I think is is better to have a label for non-veg products which says: "Contains dead animals!", "This product can harm your health, your environment, your wallet, the earth".
Naturebound and Thalassa4 like this.

My usual answer: I have never heard a convincing reason to eat meat.
#26 Old 05-10-2016, 06:51 AM

Well, at least for central Europe, the Naturata markets seem to have at least all vegan products market with a symbol. Plus an EU-wide symbol for organic food. And fortunately there is one close to the place I work, so that makes life even easier. I too have observed that the vegan symbols have become more common in the past years, which is a good thing I guess.
David3 likes this.

Blog and vegetarian recipe books:

#27 Old 05-19-2016, 11:41 AM
Plant Powered

In many restaurants here (in Western Canada), they will label their menu items with V (Vegetarian), Ve (Vegan) and GF (Gluten Free). It's incredibly helpful, and probably less annoying for the staff not having to field questions like "is this soup made with animal juice?" LOL
LedBoots likes this.
#28 Old 05-19-2016, 07:26 PM
Veggie Recycler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symondezyn View Post
In many restaurants here (in Western Canada), they will label their menu items with V (Vegetarian), Ve (Vegan) and GF (Gluten Free). It's incredibly helpful, and probably less annoying for the staff not having to field questions like "is this soup made with animal juice?" LOL
Yeah I'm super happy I see a lot of this in California, at least at smaller businesses. There is some American packaging that says vegan, but it's usually stuff that is already organic or something else. On mainstream foods, they've fortunately started bolding wheat, soy and milk for allergy sufferers. So at least milk is usually in bold.
LedBoots, David3 and Symondezyn like this.
#29 Old 05-19-2016, 07:28 PM
Veggie Recycler

Quote:
Originally Posted by @rno View Post
I think is is better to have a label for non-veg products which says: "Contains dead animals!", "This product can harm your health, your environment, your wallet, the earth".
We will get there. Twenty years ago I never imagined packs of cigarettes would actually have black labels that say "will cause death."
cherries, David3 and Symondezyn like this.
#30 Old 05-19-2016, 07:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickenpets View Post
Exactly what I was going to say!

It takes two to speak the truth: one to speak, and another to hear.
—Henry David Thoreau
My site

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page