A Veggie Government to Save the Planet? - VeggieBoards
View Poll Results: Should Obama Advocate Vegetarianism?
Heck yeah! 13 86.67%
Umm...I don't think so. 2 13.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-26-2011, 07:05 AM

Hey guys, as you probably know, President Obama is going to answer questions tomorrow for the entire country. I submitted a question about vegetarianism, and when he's going to advocate it. As y'all might know, vegetarianism is the solution to the world's major problems of poverty, world hunger, Global Warming, pollution, various diseases, and humanitarian problems.

If you don't mind, could you vote "thumbs up" for my question so that we can get Pres. Obama to see it? Just go to http://www.youtube.com/user/worldview , and find the search box on the right. Type in "vegetarianism save the planet", and my question is the only one there!

PLEASE do this, I really want to bring vegetarianism to Obama's attention.

The question is this: The evidence is all there that our world and our people are at risk because of livestock raising. It contributes to more than 50% of Global Warming and it causes pollution, disease etc. When are you going to advocate vegetarianism to save the planet?

This looks like a great site and a great way to meet new veggie friends!!
Byron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-26-2011, 08:48 AM
Veggie Regular

Do not hope for change from the politicians. If this country is to change for the better, it is the people themselves who will initiate that change.

"It is far better to be happy than to have your bodies act as graveyards for animals. Accordingly, the apostle Matthew partook of seeds, nuts and vegetables, without flesh"- Clement of Alexandria
#3 Old 01-26-2011, 09:52 AM

mmmm...so sad. But it doesn't hurt to try, right? Anyway, if Obama answered a question like this, it would educate the people. So, idk. I always get negative reception when I post a vegetarian comment elsewhere. lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-26-2011, 08:55 PM

Voted for you
#5 Old 01-26-2011, 10:11 PM
Veggie Regular

I think its closed now...

ÂNothing can cure the soul but the senses, just as nothing can cure the senses but the soul. - Oscar Wilde
#6 Old 01-27-2011, 01:46 AM
Beginner

He's already been asked a similar question, in case you haven't seen it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rt56ER4TSqc

Don't get your hopes up... Siding with vegans and vegetarians would be political suicide.
#7 Old 01-27-2011, 04:39 AM

@Noisy Crowd - thanks!

To everyone else- Update: I got 203 likes and 23 dislikes. Not bad! At least, maybe I introduced some "vegetarian intrigue" in people's minds

@Wil Wheaton Fan - yes I have seen the video. I just thought I'd bring the issue up again! One can hope...
#8 Old 01-27-2011, 05:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by byron108 View Post

As y'all might know, vegetarianism is the solution to the world's major problems of poverty, world hunger, Global Warming, pollution, various diseases, and humanitarian problems.

Veg*anism can fix all you listed except for poverty. Poverty is caused by laziness or lack of capabilities on the person's side and greed on the side of governments and corporations. Veg*anism would not help poverty at all.
#9 Old 01-27-2011, 05:33 AM

Hey! Why do you put a * in Veganism?
#10 Old 01-27-2011, 06:14 AM
Beginner

I was going to vote for you, but I think I was too late. 203 votes is not bad.

People write veg*nism so, I believe, it can be interpreted as either vegetarianism or veganism.
#11 Old 01-27-2011, 06:27 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepydvdr View Post

Poverty is caused by laziness or lack of capabilities on the person's side[...]

Wow. Talk about a generalization.
#12 Old 01-27-2011, 06:56 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarita Osita View Post

Wow. Talk about a generalization.

They did also say 'greed on the side of the corporations.' Some people are lazy, some are lumpen, and 'lack of capabilities' is hardly critical, seeing as how it infers a lack of skills for any reason, not just laziness. Could be lack of availability of training, etc.

In this grand illusion of entitlement to life / Our 'need' is a mask for our greed and it's not right /
We are executioners who parade ourselves as kings / As selfish and deluded as the blood-bathed Bathory. ~Kingdom, 'Bathory' xVx
#13 Old 01-27-2011, 09:23 AM

Haha! Yes

Fetti, thank you for the explanation. Beautiful picture, btw!!
#14 Old 01-27-2011, 05:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Even tho he advocates healthy eating and standards and better quality of food safety here , I don't think he will get fully supportive of Vegeterian and Vegans however, he might influence programs to help the lifestyle but not fully be for them. I rather combat factory farming and make meat eating very hard for people in our country and perhaps around the world.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page