What's in pasta sauce? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-13-2004, 06:24 AM
Veggie Regular

Such as Prego and Ragu. I noticed there is no Kosher symbol on the label. The ingredients doesn't list anything animal derived.

What gives?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-13-2004, 06:36 AM
Veggie Regular

It depends on what flavor you have.

But a lot of products that are kosher don't put the kosher symbol on their label. It's not required or anything. Same with the vegan symbol, very few products put that on their label even if it's completely vegan.
#3 Old 02-13-2004, 07:35 AM
Veggie Regular

A company must choose whether or not they want thier product to carry the Kosher symbol. This means they have a Rabbi on staff. The Kosher symbol is not always a good indicator whether or not a product is veg*n. They might contain fish or dairy and still be Kosher. It's best to rely on the ingrediants rather than the symbol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-13-2004, 07:53 AM
Veggie Regular

I've noticed that a lot of pasta sauces have cheese in them, even if they don't list it as the primary flavor of that particular blend. I just double-check the label.
#5 Old 02-13-2004, 08:17 AM
Veggie Regular

I notice that a lot of jarred sauces have high fructose corn syrup in them, which is insane to me. If I do buy jarred sauce, I buy Barilla. It's simple and tasty. Since I make my own most of the time, I've not had a chance to try Muir or Amy's or other organics which I am sure are of better quality than like Ragu or Prego.
#6 Old 02-13-2004, 08:34 AM

They can also contain Kosher cow, chicken etc. Just because there is a Kosher symbol on it by no means makes it vegetarian. I don't trust a lot of pasta sauce since they label "natural flavors" in the ingredients. A lot of people make pasta sauce with pig bones or pig butt for "flavor". That may be why there is no Kosher symbol on the jars as pig is not Kosher. So even though there may not be actual meat in the sauce, if they prepare the sauce with pig bones for "flavor" then disguise it as "natural flavors" you are eating a non-veg item.

I like Amy's pasta sauce. They have a good line out. Of course I just prefer to make my own sauce.
#7 Old 02-13-2004, 09:06 AM
Veggie Regular

Pig butt, eeeuuuu....Yea, making your own sauce is so easy it's hardly worth buying the jarred stuff. You can make a big batch, control all the ingredients, and freeze or refrigerate it into portions till you're ready to use it.
#8 Old 02-13-2004, 09:47 AM
Veggie Regular

I tried making my own...but it didn't work. How do you make your own exactly?
#9 Old 02-13-2004, 10:27 AM
Veggie Regular

Just get yourself a couple of cans of tomato sauce or puree. If you like it chunky, you can also use 1 can diced tomatoes and 1 can of sauce. To make a very basic sauce, just pour the sauces into a bowl. Add salt, pepper, garlic powder to taste, and a teaspoon or so of dried herbs such as oregano or basil. Some people like to add a pinch of sugar as well. Stir this up, and you could heat it if you want it for pasta right away, or use it for pizza sauce.

To get into deeper flavor, saute minced garlic and onion in a tbs of extra virgin olive oil in a sauce pan before adding the tomato sauce and seasonings.

Also, here is my recipe for some fantastic veggie "meat" sauce:

12 oz. package veggie ground round, like Smart Round by Litelife

28 oz. can tomato puree

½ cup dry white wine

3 plump garlic cloves, finely chopped

1 small onion or a large shallot, finely chopped

1 6 oz jar whole button mushrooms, drained and cut in half lengthwise

2 tbs. extra virgin olive oil

½ tsp fennel seed

1 tsp. dried oregano

1 fresh bayleaf, torn but left intact to release flavor

pinch of crushed red chili flakes

1 tsp natural sugar

sea salt and freshly ground black pepper

First, prepare the herbs. Crush the fennel seed and chili flakes with a mortar and pestle, or with the back of a spoon on a cuttin board. Put in a small bowl and set aside.

In a large deep skillet, heat the olive oil on medium-low heat. Add the onions (the oil should lightly sizzle them, not fry and spatter) and cook until soft and translucent, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and stir for a minute more. Add the fennel and chili flakes and stir to blend with the onion and garlic. Stir in veggie meat and mushrooms until all is mixed. Season with some salt and pepper. Now increase heat to medium high. Pour in the tomato puree (save the can), bay leaf, oregano, sugar, and wine and give it a good stir. Once it starts to bubble, reduce to a simmer, cover the pan and leave it alone for about 20 minutes.

Check the sauce by first observing the consistency. If its too thick, add some water straight from the tomato sauce can, up to a cup or so. Adjust the seasonings by adding more salt and pepper. Stir, cover, and simmer for about 10-15 more minutes, and keep tasting and adjusting seasoning along the way.
#10 Old 02-13-2004, 10:57 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalafelsRule View Post

So even though there may not be actual meat in the sauce, if they prepare the sauce with pig bones for "flavor" then disguise it as "natural flavors" you are eating a non-veg item.

Let me 100% concur here. I am very suspicious of

the Ragu line of sauces with their natural flavors.

I used to eat them, and it sure *seemed* like there

was some sort of meat-product flavor in there.

Barilla seems to be free of that issue, although some

of the sauces contain sugar (I realize that this isn't

an issue for some people here).

There have been some excellent recipe suggestions

here. I think that red wine is key for making a richer

tomato sauce. I've also found that pureeing some

carrot, celery, and onion in a little water or wine

and then cooking the mixture in olive oil and garlic

makes a wonderful base for pasta sauce. Ground

fennel seems to provide a "meatiness" too.
#11 Old 02-13-2004, 11:50 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCVeg View Post

I think that red wine is key for making a richer

tomato sauce. I've also found that pureeing some

carrot, celery, and onion in a little water or wine

and then cooking the mixture in olive oil and garlic

makes a wonderful base for pasta sauce. Ground

fennel seems to provide a "meatiness" too.

Yes, red wine is definitely a key ingredient! I think I used white in the last recipe because I was out of red! And sometimes I do what you suggested with the carrot, celery and onion but usually for a bolognese sauce. Oh man, now I am hungry! Doesn't take much food talk to get me in the mood....
#12 Old 02-13-2004, 12:54 PM
Veggie Regular

The Hunt's brand (the ones in the tall cans) are vegan, I've heard. That only applies to the sauces that don't have cheese or meat stuff in them (obviously) but I think the plain and the garlic one are vegan because the "natural flavours" are plant-derived.

Ragu is far too sweet for me and I've never tried Prego.
#13 Old 02-13-2004, 01:01 PM
Veggie Regular

if I don't make my own, I always get the safeway select brand spicy red pepper one. I understand all the words in the ingredients list...no cheese, no meat..no pig butt
#14 Old 02-13-2004, 01:03 PM

So when u folks use wine, is it vegan wine? Most commercial wine sold is not vegetarian.
#15 Old 02-13-2004, 01:04 PM
Veggie Regular

yes yes, vegan wine.

But I usually buy Wal-Mart brand Traditional pasta sauce. Can't go wrong with wal-mart brand, eh.
#16 Old 02-13-2004, 01:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

So when u folks use wine, is it vegan wine? Most commercial wine sold is not vegetarian.

I would believe so, FR. I'm sure the wine connoisseurs here are well-versed on what *vegan* wine works in any given recipe (since vegans are prone to do a lot of research about everything).

Clairbear: I didn't realize Safeway had their own spaghetti sauce. Thanks for the tip.
#17 Old 02-13-2004, 01:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Pasta sauce was the one thing I always figured would be vegan. I bought a jar of it once without reading the label. When I got home I noticed that it contained parmasan (sp?) cheese? It was plain sauce. I had no problems returning it to the store for a cheeseless version but I still think it's odd.
#18 Old 02-13-2004, 03:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Aside from the obvious vegan or organic wines sold at like Whole Foods or Wild Oats, someone gave me a list of wineries that don't use animal part substances for filtering, which would make their products cruelty free. Now I just have to find the dang list....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page