Real Life High Profile Veg*ns - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-19-2010, 12:07 AM
Veggie Regular

As a kind of follow on from the Fictional Veg*n thread where there was discussion about how veg*ns are portrayed I started to wonder if there are there any Real Life Veg*ns you are disappointed in?

I was pleased to hear that one of my favourite Australian comedians Dave Hughes was a veg*n. Sadly though I was watching one of his DVD's and he joked about still eating fish. It disappointed me that it could perpetuate the vegetarians eat fish myth.

Have you ever been disappointed or pi$sed off with a high profile veg*n?

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-19-2010, 03:52 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone T View Post

Yes almost all of them since the majority seem to resort back to being omni for ridiculous reasons, only stick with it for a short while to look "trendy" or admit to still eating fish/other non veg*n food.

Some of the ones that do NOT disasspoint me are Ellen, Emily Deschanel, and Woody Harrelson.
#3 Old 12-19-2010, 04:39 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

As a kind of follow on from the Fictional Veg*n thread where there was discussion about how veg*ns are portrayed I started to wonder if there are there any Real Life Veg*ns you are disappointed in?

Why would someone's austerity in their diet call for your disappointment?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-19-2010, 08:39 AM
Veggie Regular

Dennis Kucinich is a vegan and an awesome guy. He should of became president.

"It is far better to be happy than to have your bodies act as graveyards for animals. Accordingly, the apostle Matthew partook of seeds, nuts and vegetables, without flesh"- Clement of Alexandria
#5 Old 12-19-2010, 08:55 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

Some of the ones that do NOT disasspoint me are Ellen, Emily Deschanel, and Woody Harrelson.

Heather Mills (Paul McCartney's ex wife) is a vegan.
#6 Old 12-19-2010, 09:15 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotoshave View Post

Dennis Kucinich is a vegan and an awesome guy. He should of became president.

Dennis AND Sandy! I can't find the info now, but doesn't Sandy have a position in PCRM, or similiar organization?

I wish all the failed vegans would simply admit their weakness. Every article that comes out from former "vegans" brings more ammo for the omnivores to use to justify animal slavery.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#7 Old 12-19-2010, 09:28 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by theLaika View Post

Why would someone's austerity in their diet call for your disappointment?

When celebrities say things people agree with they're taken as gospel fact. If people disagree with them, it's dismissed. So many people are vegan-phobic anyway they feed on anything that justifies eating animals.

I watched the t.v. show Funniest Commercials because Isaiah Mustafa (vegan- Old Spice guy) hosted it. He had a line saying Hasselhoff looked good in leather. It may be a small thing, but I find vegan celebrities seem to be fed lines that they would never say on their own. Like Woody H.s character in Zombieland eating twinkies. Of all the amusment park food they could of picked for that character, why beef tallow twinkies? Pam Anderson did a bit on a news segment show on celebrity food where she talked about making cobb salad. Hers was naturally vegan, but when the guy reproduced it he added bacon. It's like they have to add animal products everywhere!

#8 Old 12-19-2010, 10:01 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post

He had a line saying Hasselhoff looked good in leather. It may be a small thing, but I find vegan celebrities seem to be fed lines that they would never say on their own.

I would say if someone looked good in leather. I'd even compliment my omni housemates on a well-prepared meat dish. It's not a huge deal - i.e. It doesn't signal my dismantling my ethics. Besides, who here is actually listening to celebrities for guidance on serious issues?
#9 Old 12-19-2010, 11:05 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

No. They are all living in a land of extremely privileged make-believe, so I can't take a single one of them seriously.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#10 Old 12-19-2010, 11:18 AM

I was pissed off when i saw an article in a newspaper about Angelina Jolie saying that being a vegetarian/vegan(i don't really know what the hell she was) almost killed her. i was annoyed especially because i was at my boyfriends parents house(very anti vegetarianism) and i thought they were give me crap again...
and of course she almost died...anyone would die from eating only a leaf of salad per day(to maintain those skinny knees). you'd think that with the amount of money she has she would be the most healthy person in the world regardless if she is vegetarian or not. with that kind of money she could buy herself vegetarian food to make her live to 150 years.
the really nasty part is that she said how much she now enjoys a rare steak...bleah...how little of that can she eat to maintain a good view at her every bone?!
#11 Old 12-19-2010, 01:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomebodyElse View Post

No. They are all living in a land of extremely privileged make-believe, so I can't take a single one of them seriously.

LOL excellent point.
#12 Old 12-19-2010, 01:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Most celebs seem to go back to omni or do or say something stupid (case in point, Alicia Silverstone). People who I am not disappointed in are Morrissey and.. that's about it.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#13 Old 12-19-2010, 01:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

People who I am not disappointed in are Morrissey and.. that's about it.

Yeah, about that,,,
#14 Old 12-19-2010, 01:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Whenever a celeb 'comes out' about being or becoming veg*n I tend to take it with a grain of salt reminding myself that they are most likely doing it as some form of a publicity stunt--similar to all the other ex- or pseudo-veg*n celebs [or bloggers ] mentioned already in this thread.

"you know, nowhere in the bible does it say that jesus was not a raptor"

www.animal-adoptions.org

#15 Old 12-19-2010, 02:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Yeah, about that,,,

Clearly the chinese are not a subspecies but they do tend to push animal abuse just that little bit further.Just when you think you've seen it all out comes another video of some chinese women crushing rabbits.

Back on topic. I dont know much about any high profile veg*ns. A few celebs that people have mentioned here but i don't really follow them.
#16 Old 12-19-2010, 03:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Yeah, about that,,,

It's a disappointment about Morrissey, but not a disappointed about his diet or lifestyle. I may be disappointed if Joaquin Phoenix stars in a really crappy movie but I put that in a different category from being disappointed that Alicia Silverstone is a pescetarian.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

#17 Old 12-19-2010, 04:28 PM
Veggie Regular

I have a close friendship with a person of Chinese origin so I naturally was extremely repulsed by those comments by Morrissey.

Tam! RUGH!
#18 Old 12-20-2010, 02:27 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

It's a disappointment about Morrissey, but not a disappointed about his diet or lifestyle. I may be disappointed if Joaquin Phoenix stars in a really crappy movie but I put that in a different category from being disappointed that Alicia Silverstone is a pescetarian.

Can I have a link to Alicia Silverstone being pescetarian please?

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein
#19 Old 12-20-2010, 04:23 AM
Banned

Quote:

I watched the t.v. show Funniest Commercials because Isaiah Mustafa (vegan- Old Spice guy) hosted it. He had a line saying Hasselhoff looked good in leather. It may be a small thing, but I find vegan celebrities seem to be fed lines that they would never say on their own.

Isaiah Mustafa isn't vegan. He eats a strict vegetarian diet (no animals products) as part of his fitness regime (as it's his body that has helped with his fame) but he is in no way vegan (he doesn't follow the lifestyle).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAci1YblqHA
#20 Old 12-20-2010, 10:43 AM
Veggie Regular

I'll chime in about one time I was pleasantly surprised by a veg*n celeb. Tobey "Spider-Man" Maguire was on Leno a few years ago (before Leno left and came back - probably around the time of the 3rd Spider-Man movie). At the time, Leno's band leader (I forget his name) was actively campaigning for Peta's "sexiest celebrity vegetarian" contest. Maguire called him out on eating fish, and not being a real vegetarian.

--Fromper
#21 Old 12-20-2010, 12:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Alissa Milano.

http://haylieskitchen.blogspot.com/ (married to an omni so cooking from both spectrums)
#22 Old 12-20-2010, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fromper View Post

I'll chime in about one time I was pleasantly surprised by a veg*n celeb. Tobey "Spider-Man" Maguire was on Leno a few years ago (before Leno left and came back - probably around the time of the 3rd Spider-Man movie). At the time, Leno's band leader (I forget his name) was actively campaigning for Peta's "sexiest celebrity vegetarian" contest. Maguire called him out on eating fish, and not being a real vegetarian.

This is great.
Although this probably isn't fitting in this thread as he is long since deceased... Leondardo Da Vinci (famous and awesome; so I thought I would mention it).
#23 Old 12-20-2010, 03:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Can I have a link to Alicia Silverstone being pescetarian please?

https://www.veggieboards.com/newvb/sh...=1#post2746836

"and I stand

upon a mountain

#24 Old 12-20-2010, 04:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Dennis AND Sandy! I can't find the info now, but doesn't Sandy have a position in PCRM, or similiar organization?

I wish all the failed vegans would simply admit their weakness. Every article that comes out from former "vegans" brings more ammo for the omnivores to use to justify animal slavery.

Yeah she is: http://www.pcrm.org/news/release091029.html

I thought it was telling during the last presidential election that ABC didn't invite Kucinich to one of the Iowa or New Hamsphire debates. During that debate a bunch of pharmaceutical commercials aired. And I suddenly understood why Kucinich wasn't invited. It sickens me how the media controls who gets elected.

"It is far better to be happy than to have your bodies act as graveyards for animals. Accordingly, the apostle Matthew partook of seeds, nuts and vegetables, without flesh"- Clement of Alexandria
#25 Old 12-20-2010, 04:42 PM
Veggie Regular

If it was Iowa I apologize for my stupid state. We have tons of "Beef it's what for dinner" and "Pork, the other white meat" commercials around here too. Actually the Pork place that made that slogan and everything is located in one of Des Moines' suburbs, I've driven by it a billion times. They have their logo on part of the building and it's a giant cut of meat with the slogan under it. Back on topic, I believe Clint Eastwood is a vegetarian, anybody else know for sure?
#26 Old 12-20-2010, 04:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrealeeanne View Post

Back on topic, I believe Clint Eastwood is a vegetarian, anybody else know for sure?

I remember reading that in some interview he expressed annoyance how people attribute veg*nism to him even though he isn't veg*n. But don't quote me on that.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

#27 Old 12-20-2010, 05:46 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annia View Post

Isaiah Mustafa isn't vegan. He eats a strict vegetarian diet (no animals products) as part of his fitness regime (as it's his body that has helped with his fame) but he is in no way vegan (he doesn't follow the lifestyle).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAci1YblqHA

That stinks. I'm glad he's advocating strict vegetarianism as a healthy lifestyle at least-he certainly wears it well!

I'm going with Chryssie Hyndes as the vegan I'd put money on the long run.

#28 Old 12-20-2010, 06:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I'm going with Chryssie Hyndes as the vegan I'd put money on the long run.

Not a vegan:
https://www.veggieboards.com/newvb/sh...appy-milk-quot

"and I stand

upon a mountain

#29 Old 12-20-2010, 07:21 PM
Banned

Quote:

That stinks. I'm glad he's advocating strict vegetarianism as a healthy lifestyle at least-he certainly wears it well!

I went and corrected the wiki article. I wonder if they'll accept the change

(It annoys the hell out of when people say that people who don't eat any animal products are vegan even though there's no evidence of them avoiding animal products in other parts of their life )
#30 Old 12-20-2010, 07:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Found the bit about Clint Eastwood not being vegetarian:
http://www.ecorazzi.com/2008/12/16/c...tarian-either/

"and I stand

upon a mountain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page