VeggieBoards

VeggieBoards (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/)
-   Vegetarian Support Forum (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/11-vegetarian-support-forum/)
-   -   Stupid Things Omnivores Say, Version 5.0 (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/11-vegetarian-support-forum/118367-stupid-things-omnivores-say-version-5-0-a.html)

danakscully64 10-31-2010 07:36 AM

Look at the new, shiny thread. Time to dirty it up with comments

Killer_queen 10-31-2010 08:51 AM

When they swear at the animals in Earthlings .

Fromper 10-31-2010 09:54 AM

Wow... when I first joined VB, we were still on version 2.0 of STOS. I can't believe we're adding a new one every year, pretty much.

--Fromper

Emmio 10-31-2010 10:03 AM

My first proper comment, here we go!

Dad: Can you still eat minced meat?
Me: No.
Dad: What about steak?
Me: That is meat.
Dad: Pork?
Me: Also meat.
Dad: For Christ's sake, what about sausages?
Me: Also meat.
Dad: I'm very disappointed in you.

Talk about supportive dad.

Rhys 10-31-2010 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmio View Post

My first proper comment, here we go!

Dad: Can you still eat minced meat?
Me: No.
Dad: What about steak?
Me: That is meat.
Dad: Pork?
Me: Also meat.
Dad: For Christ's sake, what about sausages?
Me: Also meat.
Dad: I'm very disappointed in you.

Talk about supportive dad.

Totally reminds me of the vegetarian scene from Everything is Illuminated. XD

Madness 10-31-2010 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmio View Post

My first proper comment, here we go!

Dad: Can you still eat minced meat?
Me: No.
Dad: What about steak?
Me: That is meat.
Dad: Pork?
Me: Also meat.
Dad: For Christ's sake, what about sausages?
Me: Also meat.
Dad: I'm very disappointed in you.

Talk about supportive dad.

Is he really serious? What kind of meat IS meat then??

Cyclone T 11-01-2010 01:55 AM

I was at a restaurant and the only vegetarian option other than a garden salad or medley of steamed vegetables was the pea risotto that was listed as suitable for vegetarians. As there was only one veg*n choice and the other risotto was chicken and mushroom I decided to double check.

Me: What kind of stock is used to make the pea risotto?

Server: I am not sure I will check with the chef.

Me: Thank you

Server: The chef says the regular kind. (Hmm?)

Me: Could you please ask if it is a meat based stock like chicken or if he uses a vegetable stock?

Server: I will check with the chef.

Me: Thank you

Server: He says it is chicken stock.

Me: Could you please ask if it could be made with vegetable stock?

Server: I will ask the chef.

Chef: Are you asking about the stock?

Me: Yes

Chef: I make all risotto with chicken stock as it adds flavour and creaminess. I am sure it will not disappoint you.

Me: Thank you for taking the time to speak with me. I am veg*n and do not consume animal products.

Chef: Stock is made from a carcass which means the chicken was already dead. I didn't kill it for the stock so my pea risotto is veg*n.

Me: I am sure your medley of steamed vegetables minus butter will be lovely.

*Baffled by the logic*

@rno 11-01-2010 02:27 AM

Saw this answer in a discussion about vegetarians and eating eggs:

Why vegetarians should not eat eggs....
Because many are ignorant of the fact that eating an egg destroyes a life. Even if the eggs aren’t ‘fertilized’, they still contain genetic material responsible for propagating life.

http://www.vegandietadvisor.com/answ...getarian-diet/

Deis 11-01-2010 02:30 AM

My coworkers all know that I'm vegan, as they generally end up making me my salad sandwichs on breaks (I work in a McDs). One of them suggested that I try the filet - "fish is vegan, right?".

rags. 11-01-2010 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhys View Post

Totally reminds me of the vegetarian scene from Everything is Illuminated. XD

Yes! And then they end up giving him a boiled potato on a plate! Haha.

fadeaway1289 11-01-2010 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone t View Post

chef: Stock is made from a carcass which means the chicken was already dead. I didn't kill it for the stock so my pea risotto is veg*n.

wtf??

danakscully64 11-01-2010 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone T View Post

Chef: Stock is made from a carcass which means the chicken was already dead. I didn't kill it for the stock so my pea risotto is veg*n.

WTF?! What an IDIOT. I would contact the restaurant. This guy isn't a Chef, people trained in culinary school know that animal stock isn't vegetarian.

disneyfav4ever 11-01-2010 08:09 AM

I was told last night that I was only trying to be veg*n because it was the cool thing to do right now. Um no, I'm trying to be veg*n because I think it's wrong how horribly animals are treated.

danakscully64 11-01-2010 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfav4ever View Post

I was told last night that I was only trying to be veg*n because it was the cool thing to do right now. Um no, I'm trying to be veg*n because I think it's wrong how horribly animals are treated.

Who said that? I hope you set them straight.

disneyfav4ever 11-01-2010 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

Who said that? I hope you set them straight.

Yeah, but we got into this huge debate about it. He said that animals were put on the earth to be eaten, and if they hadn't been God wouldn't of made them taste so delicious. And then I was saying how humans aren't designed to eat meat since their digestive system is different then that of carnivores, and they can't hunt their own food, etc.

danakscully64 11-01-2010 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfav4ever View Post

Yeah, but we got into this huge debate about it. He said that animals were put on the earth to be eaten, and if they hadn't been God wouldn't of made them taste so delicious. And then I was saying how humans aren't designed to eat meat since their digestive system is different then that of carnivores, and they can't hunt their own food, etc.

That's when you say "With that logic, we should eat each other because human flesh tastes like other animal meat. Mmmmm baby meat."

rags. 11-01-2010 09:10 AM

wait what, is being veg*n cool at the moment then?


disneyfav4ever 11-01-2010 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rags. View Post

wait what, is being veg*n cool at the moment then?


Apparently.

Cyclone T 11-01-2010 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rags. View Post

wait what, is being veg*n cool at the moment then?


Not just at the moment - it has always been cool to be veg*n

rags. 11-01-2010 09:26 AM

well then, we are the coolest people on the internet.

Idhan 11-01-2010 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by @rno View Post

Saw this answer in a discussion about vegetarians and eating eggs:

Why vegetarians should not eat eggs....
Because many are ignorant of the fact that eating an egg destroyes a life. Even if the eggs aren’t ‘fertilized’, they still contain genetic material responsible for propagating life.

http://www.vegandietadvisor.com/answ...getarian-diet/

To clarify: are you saying this is actually a good reason not to eat eggs? (It isn't. There are good reasons, but not this.) Or are you just listing it in the Stupid Things Omnivores Say thread as an instance of a stupid thing said by a veg*n?

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfav4ever View Post

I was told last night that I was only trying to be veg*n because it was the cool thing to do right now. Um no, I'm trying to be veg*n because I think it's wrong how horribly animals are treated.

Besides, don't the cool people these days think that veg*ns are delusional and out-of-sync with the harmonies of the natural world, and the cool thing to do is actually to buy some super-expensive artisanal beef from a local bearded Mennonite farmer who probably secretly hates your hipster guts?

danakscully64 11-01-2010 09:57 AM

I think he's saying that's a stupid thing a veggie (or omni) to say.

Madness 11-01-2010 11:29 AM

I started reading the megapopular book Eat Pray Love by Elizabeth Gilbert, and came across this shocking quote... not if this counts as "stupid thing omnivore say", since it's a book, but the author claims all of this to be pretty true, so... I'll give you the best bit.

Quote:
I was with Luca the first time I ever tried eating the intestines of a newborn lamb. This is a
Roman specialty. (..) Then I pushed it aside and asked for a salad.
You dont like it? asked Luca, who loves the stuff.
I bet Gandhi never ate lamb intestines in his life, I said.
He could have.
No, he couldnt have, Luca. Gandhi was a vegetarian.
But vegetarians can eat this, Luca insisted. Because intestines arent even meat, Liz.
Theyre just s***.


AeryFairy 11-01-2010 07:01 PM

^Ew.

Hello, shiny new thread.

Here's one from today. Setting: in a cocktail bar with a friend, and she was trying to find a cocktail that I would drink. She pointed out the bloody mary, I said I couldn't because of the Worcestershire sauce.

Her: What's wrong with that?
Me: It has anchovies in it.
Her: Oh... but at least that's not a real animal.
Me: Eh?
Her: Well, I know it's an animal, but it's not a REAL one, like a cute one... it's just a fish. They're in the same class as like... insects. It doesn't really matter if you accidentally kill one.

Kiz 11-01-2010 07:40 PM

I have this rant in this thread every year. But still, yet again....

Each year for Melbourne Cup we are given chicken and salad. Each year they order so much chicken they throw lots of it in the bin at the end (no really, they do). I don't eat chicken so I just have salad. So I ask an extra scoop of salad. Not a lot more, just one spoonful more. I'm having less than half the meal, one more spoon would be good.
(One or two quarters of a chicken to three small spoons, a little larger than teaspoons, of salad).

I invariably get sneered at, told not to be greedy, that other people want to eat. Why should I get more than anyone else? (Um, even with one more spoon I'm getting over less than half of what the others get). I feel like Oliver friggin' Twist. Some guys were taking extra chicken but that is Ok because they are Men or Growing Boys and Need The Protein. Then at the end of the day, they throw salad in the bin because no-one wants it, because they all want chicken.

Oliver friggin' Twist, I swear. You should see the "you greedy cow" looks I get.

Irritating though it is I guess it evens out. I go and get the chicken out of the bin at the end of the day and give it to rescue animals. I feel a bit peculiar being the vegetarian who roots through the bin for chicken, but it is better than it going to waste.

GGRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rachel Bonneau 11-01-2010 08:00 PM

"vegetarians can't keep pets who hunt for prey. especially live prey. which means your snakes must be set free outside where they belong." (not given to a good home, no. set free outside, when it's starting to get cold and some would inevitably die. and never mind that none of them are native to MA...)

danakscully64 11-01-2010 08:01 PM

^^ Is there anyone you can talk to about this? If the person handing out the food made a comment to me, I would say "Excuse you, did I ask for stupid comment? I'm getting less than everyone else already, even with that extra scoop. I'm sorry you can't comprehend that Besides, most of the salad will be wasted." Sorry, I'm kinda mean today

Rachel Bonneau 11-01-2010 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

^^ Is there anyone you can talk to about this? If the person handing out the food made a comment to me, I would say "Excuse you, did I ask for stupid comment? I'm getting less than everyone else already, even with that extra scoop. I'm sorry you can't comprehend that Besides, most of the salad will be wasted." Sorry, I'm kinda mean today

I agree with this. I'd just mention how much of it gets thrown away and that at least *someone* is trying not to waste food. Especially if it happens every year. I'd also bring a camera and take a picture each time of how much salad gets thrown out and bring them each time to show them. (I'm one of those **** stirrers though, so this may or may not actually be doable for someone who isn't...)

Kiz 11-01-2010 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

^^ Is there anyone you can talk to about this? If the person handing out the food made a comment to me, I would say "Excuse you, did I ask for stupid comment? I'm getting less than everyone else already, even with that extra scoop. I'm sorry you can't comprehend that Besides, most of the salad will be wasted." Sorry, I'm kinda mean today

Yes, I complain. That is pretty much exactly what I say. Every single other function they cater for vegetarians. And they do let you go back and grab the left over bound-for-the-bin salad as they are throwing it out, so I won't go hungry, it's just the disparaging looks I get when I say anything. When I say what you said, they stare at me as if I'm the world's worst glutton, that is what gets me.

Someone just came over and say "hey Kiz, there is more salad if you want some before they throw it away". Well, duh, there was no need to look at me as if I was Miss Greedy Guts earlier. Maybe I should take a photo of the sneery looks. I get similar odd looks when I won't gamble on the horse race, too, by some people. "You weirdo, you mean you don't like people flogging horses to death around a race track then selling them for dog meat if they lose? How can you not like that?"

danakscully64 11-01-2010 08:46 PM

Have you tried talking to the place about having them donate the food? That's terrible how wasteful they are!

Thorham 11-02-2010 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfav4ever View Post

And then I was saying how humans aren't designed to eat meat since their digestive system is different then that of carnivores

Humans are biological omnivores. There are people who eat almost only meat, and they have done so for thousands of years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfav4ever View Post

and they can't hunt their own food, etc.

Humans can hunt their own food, because they can invent and wield weapons.

Now, where's that thread about the stupid things veg*ns say?

Killer_queen 11-02-2010 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfav4ever View Post

Yeah, but we got into this huge debate about it. He said that animals were put on the earth to be eaten, and if they hadn't been God wouldn't of made them taste so delicious. And then I was saying how humans aren't designed to eat meat since their digestive system is different then that of carnivores, and they can't hunt their own food, etc.

This is all based on opinion. And people can hunt their own food. It being legal to do so or not is what's questionable.
But I don't think you're stupid for saying it.

danakscully64 11-02-2010 09:09 AM

Part of what Disney said is correct though... we can eat meat, but we tend to thrive without it. And when it comes to nature, we can't typically hunt our own food without tools. Carnivores don't need tools, neither do other omnis. I get what they're saying, I don't think what they said was dumb at all.

Killer_queen 11-02-2010 09:16 AM

I don't think she was dumb for saying it.

Thorham 11-02-2010 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

And when it comes to nature, we can't typically hunt our own food without tools. Carnivores don't need tools, neither do other omnis.

Humans are tool and weapon makers, and without them we would've gone extinct a very long time ago. Furthermore, animals use tools also. Some animals use rocks to crack open shells to get to the animal inside.

Why do people keep coming up with this thing about humans needing tools and carnivores not needing them? We need tools for just about everything, including survival (we're a species which depends on tools and the ability to invent them completely).

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

I get what they're saying, I don't think what they said was dumb at all.

It would just be nice if people would get their facts straight. Veg*ns should perhaps make it their business to know better.

danakscully64 11-02-2010 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorham View Post

Humans are tool and weapon makers, and without them we would've gone extinct a very long time ago. Furthermore, animals use tools also. Some animals use rocks to crack open shells to get to the animal inside.

Why do people keep coming up with this thing about humans needing tools and carnivores not needing them? We need tools for just about everything, including survival (we're a species which depends on tools and the ability to invent them completely).

Of course, but nature didn't equip us with the strength and nails to take down most predators on our own. I'm aware that some animals use rocks (and even drops) to open shells, I even thought about that as I was posting, but... yeah, I'm not coming up with anything. In my head it makes sense I go back to the way our teeth are, digestive tracks, saliva, etc. People have adapted to survive, but I don't think they've necessarily become animals that require the death of others to survive. Humans have the intelligence to feel empathy for others and know how to survive without killing. We're capable of using tools to torture, should we? Probably not.

Now you're just justifying your reason for calling what they said stupid (which is an insult to the person). I don't think that was nice or appropriate for this forum.

Madness 11-02-2010 01:28 PM

Kiz,
if it's possible, you should really contact the organisers of this event. Food waste is a huge problem in Western world after all, and a little change would stll be a change... What surprises me the most is other peoples' attitude towards you. I mean... waf?! You are trying to solve the problem and get ridiculed about it?? And all that stuff about "salad greediness" was veeery shady too. It's not really like someone will suddenly DIE if they won't get exact amount of salad leaves with their chicken, will they?... geez....

Wanted to ask, who are these people who are giving you the "looks"? Your friends? Collegues? Random people?

aDayToRemember 11-02-2010 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by @rno View Post

Saw this answer in a discussion about vegetarians and eating eggs:

Why vegetarians should not eat eggs....
Because many are ignorant of the fact that eating an egg destroyes a life. Even if the eggs aren’t ‘fertilized’, they still contain genetic material responsible for propagating life.

http://www.vegandietadvisor.com/answ...getarian-diet/

I don't know what to think of this. If the argument is "don't eat eggs because they contain genetic material that's responsible for propagating life", then women must not have abortions, must not take birth control, men cannot spill their seed, and sex must not happen unless the intent is to propagate life.

Kiz 11-02-2010 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer_queen View Post

I don't think she was dumb for saying it.

Not dumb, just uneducated. Unfortunately it does make other vegetarians look dumb (or uneducated) when new vegetarians make random, incorrect statements before doing any of the research.

It is a little silly to try and debate a subject before you know anything about it. Especially if you turn around and comment the other side has said "stupid" things. It really was the pot calling the kettle black kind of post. It was just kind of ironic that the poster had in effect called the omnivore "stupid" while making a similar mistake themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danascully64 View Post

Now you're just justifying your reason for calling what they said stupid (which is an insult to the person). I don't think that was nice or appropriate for this forum.

He's not justifying, he has a point. There is a thread on "stupid things vegetarians say" as well as "stupid things omnivores say". It is appropriate to point the person towards the correct thread, he wasn't being "not nice", just accurate. If you think this thread and the other thread should be "Uneducated things omnis/veggies say" rather than "Stupid things" that if valid, but you should apprach a moderator to amend the titles.

Kiz 11-02-2010 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madness View Post

Kiz,
if it's possible, you should really contact the organisers of this event. Food waste is a huge problem in Western world after all, and a little change would stll be a change... What surprises me the most is other peoples' attitude towards you. I mean... waf?! You are trying to solve the problem and get ridiculed about it?? And all that stuff about "salad greediness" was veeery shady too. It's not really like someone will suddenly DIE if they won't get exact amount of salad leaves with their chicken, will they?... geez....

Wanted to ask, who are these people who are giving you the "looks"? Your friends? Collegues? Random people?

I have approached them, each year. That is why I get so frustrated. It's only this event, other people bring it up, not just me, yet it is the same each year. And it's the servers that give me the looks.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:05 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.