Stupid Things Omnivores Say, Version 5.0 - Page 60 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 265Likes
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
#1771 Old 06-19-2011, 08:00 PM
Newbie
 
PonyGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjesta View Post

There's somebody I rather respected up to now who I just saw on a picture wearing a shirt saying "MEAT IS MURDER. Tasty, tasty murder." I don't know, suddenly I've lost a lot of respect for that person

Dude I totally see those shirts and get really excited about finding a kindred spirit,... and then I read the second line.
PonyGirl is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#1772 Old 06-20-2011, 01:39 AM
Veggie Regular
 
lucky_charm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjesta View Post

There's somebody I rather respected up to now who I just saw on a picture wearing a shirt saying "MEAT IS MURDER. Tasty, tasty murder." I don't know, suddenly I've lost a lot of respect for that person

Yeah I got upset when my best friend joined a Facebook group of that name
lucky_charm is offline  
#1773 Old 06-20-2011, 04:24 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Josh James xVx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 3,097
Yesterday at mom's house she grilled out vegan food for me and her, and my grandparents grilled disgusting smelling pork and beef for them. My grandfather refuses to eat "vegan food." I had a bit of fun with him when he bit into a big corn on the cob without butter. I told him he shouldn't eat that because it's vegan.

Tam! RUGH!
Josh James xVx is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#1774 Old 06-20-2011, 04:44 AM
Veggie Regular
 
AeryFairy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh James xVx View Post

Yesterday at mom's house she grilled out vegan food for me and her, and my grandparents grilled disgusting smelling pork and beef for them. My grandfather refuses to eat "vegan food." I had a bit of fun with him when he bit into a big corn on the cob without butter. I told him he shouldn't eat that because it's vegan.

Heh, this is always a little funny... "OMG all vegan food is totally disgusting!" *eats chips*


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
AeryFairy is offline  
#1775 Old 06-20-2011, 07:25 AM
Beginner
 
Grubnutter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 178
A mutual friend of my housemate came around and I offered him a cup of tea or coffee, as you do. The conversation went....

Me: "...but I've only got Soy milk in the house."
Him: "Ugh, what for?"
Me: "What do you mean 'ugh'? It's not that bad."
Him: "The sound of it is disgusting. Why haven't you got any proper milk?"
Me: "Well, I'm trying to avoid animal products. You know, meat and suchlike."
Him: "What's milk got to do with animals?"




::facedesk::

Tumblr: http://grubnutter.tumblr.com/
Twitter: 666Cookie666
Facebook: Steffen Cook
Grubnutter is offline  
#1776 Old 06-20-2011, 07:27 AM
Beginner
 
Grubnutter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjesta View Post

There's somebody I rather respected up to now who I just saw on a picture wearing a shirt saying "MEAT IS MURDER. Tasty, tasty murder." I don't know, suddenly I've lost a lot of respect for that person

I have a t-shirt that reads:

Vegetarians! Get A life!
You Pasty-faced [email protected]!


It's my favourite shirt.

Tumblr: http://grubnutter.tumblr.com/
Twitter: 666Cookie666
Facebook: Steffen Cook
Grubnutter is offline  
#1777 Old 06-21-2011, 01:33 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Larissa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubnutter View Post

A mutual friend of my housemate came around and I offered him a cup of tea or coffee, as you do. The conversation went....

Me: "...but I've only got Soy milk in the house."
Him: "Ugh, what for?"
Me: "What do you mean 'ugh'? It's not that bad."
Him: "The sound of it is disgusting. Why haven't you got any proper milk?"
Me: "Well, I'm trying to avoid animal products. You know, meat and suchlike."
Him: "What's milk got to do with animals?"




::facedesk::

Worst part is calling dairy milk "proper." There is nothing proper about drinking something squeezed from a cow's breasts.
Larissa is offline  
#1778 Old 06-21-2011, 01:56 AM
Veggie Regular
 
angie54321's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 1,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larissa View Post

Worst part is calling dairy milk "proper." There is nothing proper about drinking something squeezed from a cow's breasts.

It's not just not 'proper' it's actually perverted, as you succinctly described it.
angie54321 is offline  
#1779 Old 06-21-2011, 09:01 AM
Beginner
 
tensai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubnutter View Post

Why should man expect mercy to be heard by what is above him, when he shows no mercy to what is under him? - Pierre Troubetzkoy

Love that sig..
tensai is offline  
#1780 Old 06-21-2011, 09:06 AM
Beginner
 
Grubnutter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by tensai View Post

Love that sig..

Thanks. I would like to claim credit for it, but clearly, I can't!

Tumblr: http://grubnutter.tumblr.com/
Twitter: 666Cookie666
Facebook: Steffen Cook
Grubnutter is offline  
#1781 Old 06-21-2011, 10:40 AM
Veggie Regular
 
.Goth-Alice.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: A better Forum
Posts: 1,619
Im not omni(obviously) but I did say something stupid the other day and this
Quote:
Him: "What's milk got to do with animals?"

reminded me...

*advert on TV for spreadable cheese with animated cows making it and having a party*
me-what the heck have cows got to do with making cheese...surely thats mice

*doh*
.Goth-Alice. is offline  
#1782 Old 06-21-2011, 11:50 AM
Newbie
 
stumbleine07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 14
WHen I told my mom that I was going vegetarian, her response was, "Oh, but you'll still eat chicken, right?"

...COME ON. It is common knowledge what a vegetarian is. Last time I checked, chickens were animals -_-'
stumbleine07 is offline  
#1783 Old 06-21-2011, 11:53 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 982
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumbleine07 View Post

WHen I told my mom that I was going vegetarian, her response was, "Oh, but you'll still eat chicken, right?"

...COME ON. It is common knowledge what a vegetarian is. Last time I checked, chickens were animals -_-'

It's quite amazing how many people seem to forget that. My sister often tells people she is vegetarian, but she still eats chicken. It drives me crazy!
earthwhispers is offline  
#1784 Old 06-21-2011, 11:54 AM
Beginner
 
Shiftiness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumbleine07 View Post

chickens were animals -_-'

Silly person, everyone knows that chickens are fish and fish aren't animals.

Gawd.
Opolitlo likes this.
Shiftiness is offline  
#1785 Old 06-21-2011, 11:56 AM
Newbie
 
stumbleine07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiftiness View Post

Silly person, everyone knows that chickens are fish and fish aren't animals.

Gawd.

Oh you're right! Man, I must be crazy for not knowing the difference between an animal and a chicken-fish...
stumbleine07 is offline  
#1786 Old 06-21-2011, 12:35 PM
Newbie
 
lopete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumbleine07 View Post

Oh you're right! Man, I must be crazy for not knowing the difference between an animal and a chicken-fish...

Everybody's fool, only I am an aeroplane!

Yesterday in a motorcycle clothes shop i was looking for a jacket and pants. When I was tryig some in a changing booth (whatever is it called), my dad started a conversation with shop assistant about how difficult it will be for me to find a pair of gloves because I don't want leather ones. He lowered his voice so I could not hear it, like I would feel ashamed or what . He always tries to push me into buying some leather gloves when we are in such shop, he thinks that I will do it under pressure because I don't like shopping but he is just embarassing... I will never ever wear some poor dead calf on my hands or any other part of my body to protect my own skin just because I am stupid enough to ride a motorbike.

Nature will be okay, the people are f***ed
lopete is offline  
#1787 Old 06-21-2011, 12:50 PM
Veggie Regular
 
CindyLennyCleo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 807
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumbleine07 View Post

Oh you're right! Man, I must be crazy for not knowing the difference between an animal and a chicken-fish...

It's the lack of protein rotting our brains. It makes us think the stupidest things :P

ÂIf man could be crossed with the cat it would improve man, but it would deteriorate the cat.  Mark Twain
CindyLennyCleo is offline  
#1788 Old 06-21-2011, 01:08 PM
Newbie
 
stumbleine07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyLennyCleo View Post

It's the lack of protein rotting our brains. It makes us think the stupidest things :P

Of course...because meat is the ONLY source of protein to ever exist EVER xD
stumbleine07 is offline  
#1789 Old 06-21-2011, 11:40 PM
Veggie Regular
 
angie54321's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 1,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumbleine07 View Post

Of course...because meat is the ONLY source of protein to ever exist EVER xD

We jest - but a lot of them actually think that. Just like milk is the only source of calcium.
angie54321 is offline  
#1790 Old 06-22-2011, 04:24 AM
Newbie
 
I love giraffes :)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone T View Post

I was at a restaurant and the only vegetarian option other than a garden salad or medley of steamed vegetables was the pea risotto that was listed as suitable for vegetarians. As there was only one veg*n choice and the other risotto was chicken and mushroom I decided to double check.

Me: What kind of stock is used to make the pea risotto?

Server: I am not sure I will check with the chef.

Me: Thank you

Server: The chef says the regular kind. (Hmm?)

Me: Could you please ask if it is a meat based stock like chicken or if he uses a vegetable stock?

Server: I will check with the chef.

Me: Thank you

Server: He says it is chicken stock.

Me: Could you please ask if it could be made with vegetable stock?

Server: I will ask the chef.

Chef: Are you asking about the stock?

Me: Yes

Chef: I make all risotto with chicken stock as it adds flavour and creaminess. I am sure it will not disappoint you.

Me: Thank you for taking the time to speak with me. I am veg*n and do not consume animal products.

Chef: Stock is made from a carcass which means the chicken was already dead. I didn't kill it for the stock so my pea risotto is veg*n.

Me: I am sure your medley of steamed vegetables minus butter will be lovely.

*Baffled by the logic*

That's insane! People, especially those in the food industry should seriosuly know what a vegan is.

Giraffes are awesome.
I love giraffes :) is offline  
#1791 Old 06-22-2011, 08:03 AM
Newbie
 
stumbleine07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by angie54321 View Post

We jest - but a lot of them actually think that. Just like milk is the only source of calcium.

Oh, I know. My dad actually didn't believe that soy had protein in it; I had to look it up online to prove it to him...
stumbleine07 is offline  
#1792 Old 06-22-2011, 09:28 AM
Beginner
 
Diamond's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 181
I wouldn't say this counts as something stupid but lately my mother has been saying, "I miss those days when you loved meat as much as I did."
Diamond is offline  
#1793 Old 06-22-2011, 09:39 AM
Veggie Regular
 
azerea_02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 566
Recently, my co-worker was browsing the website for the Ottawa Humane Society, looking at the cats up for adoption because her mother was looking to get one. As she's scrolling, she goes on and on about how wonderful cats are, how cute, how much she loves them.

At one point, she says "I have no idea how anyone could mistreat or abandon an animal"

To which I replied "I have no idea how anyone could eat an animal"

She laughed and didn't really know what to say to that. She did look a little ashamed. Not that that was my intention, but I was looking to make a point.
Purp likes this.
azerea_02 is offline  
#1794 Old 06-22-2011, 09:41 AM
Herbivorous Urchin
 
River's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 9,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by azerea_02 View Post

Recently, my co-worker was browsing the website for the Ottawa Humane Society, looking at the cats up for adoption because her mother was looking to get one. As she's scrolling, she goes on and on about how wonderful cats are, how cute, how much she loves them.

At one point, she says "I have no idea how anyone could mistreat or abandon an animal"

To which I replied "I have no idea how anyone could eat an animal"

She laughed and didn't really know what to say to that. She did look a little ashamed. Not that that was my intention, but I was looking to make a point.

I try to make that point as often as I can, when people say things like that.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
River is offline  
#1795 Old 06-22-2011, 10:51 AM
Veggie Regular
 
ashlend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,126
I hate to call this stupid, because it was my husband, but...

The other night we were at a restaurant with our family, and the kitchen sent over a free (huge) creme brulee. This is a place we go to a lot, so free food randomly appearing is not an uncommon occurrence. My husband actually said something to the effect of "well, since it's free, and it's already been served, I don't see why you can't have any." He was trying to be nice I think, because he knows I used to love creme brulee, but it just kind of showed me how far he still is from really understanding veganism or why I'm doing it. It's been almost four months now and we've talked about my issues with the dairy and egg industries, and I cook vegan food all the time for him that he loves, and he sees what an effort I go to to make sure everything I buy is vegan. It just seems so weird to me that after all this time he still thinks I'd pick up a spoon and dig into a dish of creme brulee, just because it was free and it was there. He knows I wouldn't do that with meat, so why would I do it with this?
ashlend is offline  
#1796 Old 06-22-2011, 04:06 PM
Veggie Regular
 
luxdancer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 379
There's this post going around FB about dogs, it goes on about how dogs are living beings with emotions who just want to be loved and taken care of and not hurt or abused. People on my friends list have been reposting this with comments about how sweet and sad and touching it is.

I thought about all the animals they eat, who've been living in horrific conditions until they are brutally murdered, and this disconnect between dogs and cows or chickens - and just rolled my eyes.
Purp likes this.

I always wonder about people who say they "love" animals, but continue to eat meat. If that's your idea of love, I question what sort of twisted world view you must have.

luxdancer is offline  
#1797 Old 06-22-2011, 04:31 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Fromper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Chicago, IL, USA
Posts: 7,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by luxdancer View Post

There's this post going around FB about dogs, it goes on about how dogs are living beings with emotions who just want to be loved and taken care of and not hurt or abused. People on my friends list have been reposting this with comments about how sweet and sad and touching it is.

I thought about all the animals they eat, who've been living in horrific conditions until they are brutally murdered, and this disconnect between dogs and cows or chickens - and just rolled my eyes.

Change "dogs" to "cows" in the whole thing and then pass it on. See how people react.

--Fromper
Purp likes this.
Fromper is offline  
#1798 Old 06-22-2011, 10:31 PM
Veggie Regular
 
NZVeggie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 739
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fromper View Post

Change "dogs" to "cows" in the whole thing and then pass it on. See how people react.

--Fromper

Fantastic idea!!!!
NZVeggie is offline  
#1799 Old 06-23-2011, 12:35 PM
Newbie
 
Christine23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 49
http://thisischarly.tumblr.com/post/...unfollow#notes

I don't know this person, but I wish I did so I could punch her in the face. UGH!!!!

[I wouldn't actually do that, but I really feel like it right now...]

Became Vegetarian: September 4th, 2010. :]
Became Vegan: May 15, 2011.

My animal/ veganism blog: www.lovenotleather.tumblr.com <3
Christine23 is offline  
#1800 Old 06-23-2011, 12:39 PM
Veggie Regular
 
zirpkatze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine23 View Post

http://thisischarly.tumblr.com/post/...unfollow#notes

I don't know this person, but I wish I did so I could punch her in the face. UGH!!!!

[I wouldn't actually do that, but I really feel like it right now...]

great example of an idiot
zirpkatze is offline  
Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off