Stupid Things Omnivores Say, Version 5.0 - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 265Likes
Closed Thread

#31 Old 11-02-2010, 08:57 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfav4ever View Post

And then I was saying how humans aren't designed to eat meat since their digestive system is different then that of carnivores

Humans are biological omnivores. There are people who eat almost only meat, and they have done so for thousands of years.
Quote:

and they can't hunt their own food, etc.

Humans can hunt their own food, because they can invent and wield weapons.

Now, where's that thread about the stupid things veg*ns say?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 11-02-2010, 09:02 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Yeah, but we got into this huge debate about it. He said that animals were put on the earth to be eaten, and if they hadn't been God wouldn't of made them taste so delicious. And then I was saying how humans aren't designed to eat meat since their digestive system is different then that of carnivores, and they can't hunt their own food, etc.

This is all based on opinion. And people can hunt their own food. It being legal to do so or not is what's questionable.
But I don't think you're stupid for saying it.

8/3/2010 is the last time I consumed meat.
8/4/2010 is when I became a full blown Vegetarian and I couldn't be more proud.
#33 Old 11-02-2010, 09:09 AM
Super Moderator

Part of what Disney said is correct though... we can eat meat, but we tend to thrive without it. And when it comes to nature, we can't typically hunt our own food without tools. Carnivores don't need tools, neither do other omnis. I get what they're saying, I don't think what they said was dumb at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 11-02-2010, 09:16 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't think she was dumb for saying it.

8/3/2010 is the last time I consumed meat.
8/4/2010 is when I became a full blown Vegetarian and I couldn't be more proud.
#35 Old 11-02-2010, 09:24 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

And when it comes to nature, we can't typically hunt our own food without tools. Carnivores don't need tools, neither do other omnis.

Humans are tool and weapon makers, and without them we would've gone extinct a very long time ago. Furthermore, animals use tools also. Some animals use rocks to crack open shells to get to the animal inside.

Why do people keep coming up with this thing about humans needing tools and carnivores not needing them? We need tools for just about everything, including survival (we're a species which depends on tools and the ability to invent them completely).

Quote:

I get what they're saying, I don't think what they said was dumb at all.

It would just be nice if people would get their facts straight. Veg*ns should perhaps make it their business to know better.
#36 Old 11-02-2010, 10:19 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorham View Post

Humans are tool and weapon makers, and without them we would've gone extinct a very long time ago. Furthermore, animals use tools also. Some animals use rocks to crack open shells to get to the animal inside.

Why do people keep coming up with this thing about humans needing tools and carnivores not needing them? We need tools for just about everything, including survival (we're a species which depends on tools and the ability to invent them completely).

Of course, but nature didn't equip us with the strength and nails to take down most predators on our own. I'm aware that some animals use rocks (and even drops) to open shells, I even thought about that as I was posting, but... yeah, I'm not coming up with anything. In my head it makes sense I go back to the way our teeth are, digestive tracks, saliva, etc. People have adapted to survive, but I don't think they've necessarily become animals that require the death of others to survive. Humans have the intelligence to feel empathy for others and know how to survive without killing. We're capable of using tools to torture, should we? Probably not.

Now you're just justifying your reason for calling what they said stupid (which is an insult to the person). I don't think that was nice or appropriate for this forum.
#37 Old 11-02-2010, 01:28 PM
Beginner

Kiz,
if it's possible, you should really contact the organisers of this event. Food waste is a huge problem in Western world after all, and a little change would stll be a change... What surprises me the most is other peoples' attitude towards you. I mean... waf?! You are trying to solve the problem and get ridiculed about it?? And all that stuff about "salad greediness" was veeery shady too. It's not really like someone will suddenly DIE if they won't get exact amount of salad leaves with their chicken, will they?... geez....

Wanted to ask, who are these people who are giving you the "looks"? Your friends? Collegues? Random people?
#38 Old 11-02-2010, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by @rno View Post

Saw this answer in a discussion about vegetarians and eating eggs:

Why vegetarians should not eat eggs....
Because many are ignorant of the fact that eating an egg destroyes a life. Even if the eggs aren’t ‘fertilized’, they still contain genetic material responsible for propagating life.

http://www.vegandietadvisor.com/answ...getarian-diet/

I don't know what to think of this. If the argument is "don't eat eggs because they contain genetic material that's responsible for propagating life", then women must not have abortions, must not take birth control, men cannot spill their seed, and sex must not happen unless the intent is to propagate life.
#39 Old 11-02-2010, 02:40 PM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer_queen View Post

I don't think she was dumb for saying it.

Not dumb, just uneducated. Unfortunately it does make other vegetarians look dumb (or uneducated) when new vegetarians make random, incorrect statements before doing any of the research.

It is a little silly to try and debate a subject before you know anything about it. Especially if you turn around and comment the other side has said "stupid" things. It really was the pot calling the kettle black kind of post. It was just kind of ironic that the poster had in effect called the omnivore "stupid" while making a similar mistake themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danascully64 View Post

Now you're just justifying your reason for calling what they said stupid (which is an insult to the person). I don't think that was nice or appropriate for this forum.

He's not justifying, he has a point. There is a thread on "stupid things vegetarians say" as well as "stupid things omnivores say". It is appropriate to point the person towards the correct thread, he wasn't being "not nice", just accurate. If you think this thread and the other thread should be "Uneducated things omnis/veggies say" rather than "Stupid things" that if valid, but you should apprach a moderator to amend the titles.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#40 Old 11-02-2010, 02:42 PM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madness View Post

Kiz,
if it's possible, you should really contact the organisers of this event. Food waste is a huge problem in Western world after all, and a little change would stll be a change... What surprises me the most is other peoples' attitude towards you. I mean... waf?! You are trying to solve the problem and get ridiculed about it?? And all that stuff about "salad greediness" was veeery shady too. It's not really like someone will suddenly DIE if they won't get exact amount of salad leaves with their chicken, will they?... geez....

Wanted to ask, who are these people who are giving you the "looks"? Your friends? Collegues? Random people?

I have approached them, each year. That is why I get so frustrated. It's only this event, other people bring it up, not just me, yet it is the same each year. And it's the servers that give me the looks.

#41 Old 11-02-2010, 02:47 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiz View Post

He's not justifying, he has a point. There is a thread on "stupid things vegetarians say" as well as "stupid things omnivores say". It is appropriate to point the person towards the correct thread, he wasn't being "not nice", just accurate. If you think this thread and the other thread should be "Uneducated things omnis/veggies say" rather than "Stupid things" that if valid, but you should apprach a moderator to amend the titles.

I don't believe what they said was stupid at all, that's my point.
#42 Old 11-02-2010, 02:57 PM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I don't believe what they said was stupid at all, that's my point.

No, not "stupid", just uneducated. Again, if you think the thread titles should not be about "stupid" comments but rather "uneducated" comments you should ask a mod to change the titles. "Stupid" implies lack of IQ, "uneducated" implies lack of education and knowledge. I don't think the poster lacks IQ so much as they had no idea what they were talking about.

#43 Old 11-02-2010, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeryFairy View Post

Her: Oh... but at lease that's not a real animal.

I literally LOLed when I read that.
#44 Old 11-03-2010, 04:18 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by aDayToRemember View Post

I literally LOLed when I read that.

I just stared at her blankly until she started laughing because she realised she was being an idiot.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#45 Old 11-03-2010, 06:26 PM
Super Moderator

There's a Group on a site I post at where you post Anonymously asking for advice. Someone asked how to handle an overweight coworker picking on her because of her slender size. In her post she said she was a vegetarian for ethical reasons and was active (basically to explain that she doesn't have any eating issues, she's just healthy). She didn't say once that she preached or anything like this, she got this response:

"You're victimizing yourself so that you can prattle on about your moral standards and diet restrictions, about which I can guarantee your coworker (and many others) will only dislike you more for. Why do people think anyone cares about why or why not someone chooses to eat meat? You are not saving the world (see here: http://www.good.is/post/there-is-no-...ng-as-a-vegan/) Obviously she's jealous of your fitness, and no I do not feel sorry for you for that, but if you want to get your point across, you absolutely should not lecture her on your diet and workout regime, just tell her to quit it with the comments. "

Why do people always jump on the idea that vegetarians are lecturing? So rude.
#46 Old 11-03-2010, 07:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Wow. I hope there's plenty of people defending her on there.
#47 Old 11-03-2010, 07:30 PM
Super Moderator

I posted, as did another person. It's just rude, rude, rude.
#48 Old 11-04-2010, 09:43 AM
Beginner

Quote:

There's a Group on a site I post at where you post Anonymously asking for advice. Someone asked how to handle an overweight coworker picking on her because of her slender size. In her post she said she was a vegetarian for ethical reasons and was active (basically to explain that she doesn't have any eating issues, she's just healthy). She didn't say once that she preached or anything like this, she got this response:

"You're victimizing yourself so that you can prattle on about your moral standards and diet restrictions, about which I can guarantee your coworker (and many others) will only dislike you more for. Why do people think anyone cares about why or why not someone chooses to eat meat? You are not saving the world (see here: http://www.good.is/post/there-is-no-...ng-as-a-vegan/) Obviously she's jealous of your fitness, and no I do not feel sorry for you for that, but if you want to get your point across, you absolutely should not lecture her on your diet and workout regime, just tell her to quit it with the comments. "

Why do people always jump on the idea that vegetarians are lecturing? So rude.

That person was jerky, and that link deserves an entry all of its own in this thread. Blood pasta?O_O

Bringing home the fakin' bacon.
#49 Old 11-04-2010, 10:03 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deis View Post

That person was jerky, and that link deserves an entry all of its own in this thread. Blood pasta?O_O

Yeah, I made a reply on it
#50 Old 11-04-2010, 12:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone T View Post

I was at a restaurant and the only vegetarian option other than a garden salad or medley of steamed vegetables was the pea risotto that was listed as suitable for vegetarians. As there was only one veg*n choice and the other risotto was chicken and mushroom I decided to double check.

Me: What kind of stock is used to make the pea risotto?

Server: I am not sure I will check with the chef.

Me: Thank you

Server: The chef says the regular kind. (Hmm?)

Me: Could you please ask if it is a meat based stock like chicken or if he uses a vegetable stock?

Server: I will check with the chef.

Me: Thank you

Server: He says it is chicken stock.

Me: Could you please ask if it could be made with vegetable stock?

Server: I will ask the chef.

Chef: Are you asking about the stock?

Me: Yes

Chef: I make all risotto with chicken stock as it adds flavour and creaminess. I am sure it will not disappoint you.

Me: Thank you for taking the time to speak with me. I am veg*n and do not consume animal products.

Chef: Stock is made from a carcass which means the chicken was already dead. I didn't kill it for the stock so my pea risotto is veg*n.

Me: I am sure your medley of steamed vegetables minus butter will be lovely.

*Baffled by the logic*

I've had someone use that logic on me before! "No, these noodles have no chicken in them. Just chicken stock. They boil the carcass, so it's just got chicken BITS in it."
#51 Old 11-04-2010, 12:29 PM
Veggie Regular

I was reading OK! magazine (I think that's what it was anyway) in the checkout last night and they had a "celebrity nutritionist" analyzing some woman's diet. This woman had "recently converted to vegetarianism" and guess what she had for lunch? Tuna salad. It's bad enough hearing it from individuals...we don't need a popular magazine spreading the myth!
#52 Old 11-04-2010, 12:34 PM
Super Moderator

I don't read those type of magazines, but if you tell me what it is, we can all write to them about the error.
#53 Old 11-04-2010, 12:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I don't read those type of magazines, but if you tell me what it is, we can all write to them about the error.

I tried googling it and I'm not even sure that's the right magazine. :-D I don't usually read them either, except to distract myself in line.
#54 Old 11-04-2010, 10:19 PM
Beginner

My mother calls me to discuss Thanksgiving dinner.

Mom: I want to have dinner at your house this year so that you have to cook the turkey.
me: ummm... Mom, I don't cook meat. If it is going to be at my house it is going to be a tufurky or seitan loaf or something like that.
Mom: Well, I am not asking you to eat it, just cook it... How are you hurting anything by cooking it?
me: uh... did you really just say that?
Mom: Where did I go wrong in raising you for you to turn out like this?

Where did she go wrong in raising me? lol I would have to say somewhere in all of it she did pretty good seeing as I literally will not even hurt a fly!
#55 Old 11-05-2010, 01:11 AM
Veggie Regular

^EW. How about you simply state that you're not gonna cook anything you won't be eating?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#56 Old 11-05-2010, 02:55 AM
Beginner

I decided to make a three course, Italian, vegan dinner the other week. This was ambitious, since I'd never made lasagne at all before, so I asked a few of my coworkers for their recipes. I figured if I got a vague idea of how the sauce was made, I could come up with my own version.

Anyway, one of my manager's overheard, and told me that, if I'm having so much trouble, I should just be omni.

Buh? I like the challenge! And, I'd have the exact same problems as an omni!

Bringing home the fakin' bacon.
#57 Old 11-05-2010, 02:36 PM
Beginner

Ew!! Carcass... it sounds so...morgue-y!!

Most of the people I've spoken to consider stock veg*n...
#58 Old 11-05-2010, 03:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzz View Post

My mother calls me to discuss Thanksgiving dinner.

Mom: I want to have dinner at your house this year so that you have to cook the turkey.
me: ummm... Mom, I don't cook meat. If it is going to be at my house it is going to be a tufurky or seitan loaf or something like that.
Mom: Well, I am not asking you to eat it, just cook it... How are you hurting anything by cooking it?
me: uh... did you really just say that?
Mom: Where did I go wrong in raising you for you to turn out like this?

Where did she go wrong in raising me? lol I would have to say somewhere in all of it she did pretty good seeing as I literally will not even hurt a fly!

So she wants to hold it at your house specifically to force you to cook the turkey? That's just mean right from the start.

--Fromper
#59 Old 11-05-2010, 03:03 PM

As i already said in introduce yourself...when i go to my boyfriends parents...everytime i go...whenever its time to eat...they lecture me about not eating meat...they tell me i'm not eating meat because i want to lose weight(not true)....and after i tell them i don't want meat ...they ask me if i don't want some sauce from the meat on my potatoes...because it's not meat(just some pork boiled in there..)..and told me i am nuts when i didn't want any icecream..gelatin topping...
at least my mother is more understanding....
#60 Old 11-05-2010, 10:56 PM
Veggie Regular

So I was at a store with my friends. We were looking for cookies to get and she picked up some holiday cookies. So I asked her if I could look at the ingrediants and she asked me, " Why? Cookies don't have meat in them." I insisted on looking since I told her I also don't eat eggs. She made a face at me and gave me the box. And... I did not find any eggs but I did find beef fat in them!! When I showed it to her she said that its not meat or eggs so I should be able to eat them. Huh?

ÂNothing can cure the soul but the senses, just as nothing can cure the senses but the soul. - Oscar Wilde
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page