Stupid Things Omnivores Say, Version 5.0 - Page 152 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 265Likes
Closed Thread

#4531 Old 07-03-2012, 11:16 AM
Vegetarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegSingleMum View Post

One thing that drives me crazy is you see all these bible fanatics out there.  They are great because they read the bible, their soul is saved, whatever.  You know what I mean.  Then you see them at McD's scarffing down a double quarter pounder with cheese, and there are two blatant sins  happening right there: murder and gluttony.    Talk about hypocrytical!

Christianity is funny like that. I've given up trying to figure out their beliefs by reading the Bible, better to just ask them. Some of them believe that can kill and treat animals as they want. I met one who was in favor of dog fighting, because they don't have souls and God put them here for our amusement anyway. Then there are people that read the Bible and decide that animals are God's children too and need to be respected and protected.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4532 Old 07-03-2012, 12:31 PM
Veggie Regular

I was just in Subway, and the girl right in front of me ordered a veggie sub, and I told her I was vegetarian, too. Then the person making the subs said, "I couldn't imagine not eating meat." So when I ordered and told her I didn't want any cheese, she gave me a really weird look, and I said, "I'm a vegan, so I don't eat dairy either." She responded rather obnoxiously that there is "something wrong with people." I told her that actually there's nothing wrong with people who just care about animals. Fortunately my mom was backing me up the whole time, too, so I hope she thought about how she should treat paying customers.

For real, if I ordered a turkey bacon pepperoni roast beef chicken sub with a mountain of cheese, there would be nothing wrong with that?

"Ugliness, if given a powerful voice, can be beautiful."

-Martha Graham

#4533 Old 07-03-2012, 01:41 PM
Lifelong vegetarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockette79 View Post

When I explained to her what vegan means, she said, the very predictable, "What DO you eat?"   

Sorry, it is in Dutch, but I think you will understand the meaning:

bruine bonen
witte bonen
linzen
doperwten
kidneybonen
kikkererwten
kapucijners
adukibonen
sojabonen
limabonen
sperziebonen
pinda's
amandelen
hazelnoten
cashewnoten
macadamianoten
pijnboompitten
pistachenoten
pompoenpitten
paranoten
pecannoten
sesamzaad/tahin
walnoten
zonnebloempitten
kokos
lijnzaad
boekweit
couscous
macaroni/spaghetti
zilvervliesrijst
haver
gerst
gierst
tarwe
quinoa
brinta
boerenkool
broccoli
groene kool
spinazie
spruitjes
taugé
savoiekool
zuurkool
peterselie
seitan
tempeh
tahoe/tofu
shiitake
adukibonen
amandelen
appelstroop
asperges
aubergine
augurken
boekweit
brood
boerenkool
bessen
brinta
broccoli
bruine bonen
cashewnoten
casave
courgette
couscous
doperwten
erwten
framboos
gemberwortel
gerst
gierst
griesmeel
groene kool
haver
havermout
hazelnoten
ijsbergsla
kidneybonen
keukenstroop
kikkererwten
knoflook
knolselderij
kokos
krenten
kruisbessen
linzen
paranoten
macaroni/spaghetti
pecannoten
peterselie
pijnboompitten
pinda
pindakaas
pistachenoten
pompoenpitten
postelein
prei
quinoa (graan)
zilvervlies rijst
rode bes
roggebrood
rucola
schorseneer
seitan
sesamzaad
sla
spinazie
tahin (sesampasta)
tofu/tahoe
tempeh
tuinbonen
walnoten
witte bonen
wortel
zonnenbloempitten
druiven
appel
banaan
sinaasappel
grapefruit
amandelen
aubergine
augurken
bessen
broccoli
cashewnoten
courgette
framboos
hazelnoten
ijsbergsla
knoflook
kokos
krenten
kruisbessen
peterselie
rode bes
rucola
sesamzaad
sla
wortel
champignons
peterselie
paprika
komkommer
taugé
tomaat
radijs
wortelen
ui
avocado

My usual answer: I have never heard a convincing reason to eat meat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4534 Old 07-03-2012, 01:48 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persephone104 View Post

I was just in Subway, and the girl right in front of me ordered a veggie sub, and I told her I was vegetarian, too. Then the person making the subs said, "I couldn't imagine not eating meat." So when I ordered and told her I didn't want any cheese, she gave me a really weird look, and I said, "I'm a vegan, so I don't eat dairy either." She responded rather obnoxiously that there is "something wrong with people." I told her that actually there's nothing wrong with people who just care about animals. Fortunately my mom was backing me up the whole time, too, so I hope she thought about how she should treat paying customers.
For real, if I ordered a turkey bacon pepperoni roast beef chicken sub with a mountain of cheese, there would be nothing wrong with that?

Hell no, the media is constantly pushing meat and dairy on people. It's not just socially acceptable, it's encouraged whenever possible. undecided.gif

Luckily that's slowly starting to change, I think the fact that you bumped into another vegetarian showed that and is the silver lining to this story. It sounds like the Subway worker didn't have a lot of experience with veg*n's, maybe you gave her something to think about.
thesleepingyeti likes this.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#4535 Old 07-03-2012, 03:14 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

Hell no, the media is constantly pushing meat and dairy on people. It's not just socially acceptable, it's encouraged whenever possible. undecided.gif
Luckily that's slowly starting to change, I think the fact that you bumped into another vegetarian showed that and is the silver lining to this story. It sounds like the Subway worker didn't have a lot of experience with veg*n's, maybe you gave her something to think about.

+1

Don't worry, there is a chance that person will be a vegan someday. I've seen it where new veggies admit to having been obnoxious to veggies or were hardcore meat eaters that thought vegetarians were out of their minds, and they come back looking for forgiveness for their past actions towards animals and others :P It's actually quite touching <3 =3

"Why should man expect his prayer for mercy to be heard by What is above him when he shows no mercy to what is under him?" ~Pierre Troubetzkoy
#4536 Old 07-03-2012, 03:25 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

*sigh* My brother just came to me and asked me if I knew that chick-fil-a uses ricedream for their icecream. I had a o.O? Moment but I had heard several of his claims before and they usually turn out to be false so I was like, "ricedream?"

He was like yeah! It's called "icedream." I was like V___V "That does not mean it was made with "RiceDream." He paused for a minute so I knew I had caught him and he was just spewing forth crap that he really had no idea about, like he always does. I told him to stop lying as he didn't have a clue. He then told me"Yeah, look it up" and viola~ Nothing less than what I expected, no such thing as chick-fil-a starting to find its heart and use Rice milk for their icecream. It was just non fat dry milk. Bleh.

It's just so annoying how he is anxious to tell me these new fantasy vegan finds and yet I know before I even look it up that there is just no way LOL. His false hopes don't work. rolleyes.gif This is about the 4th one I have heard from him? xD

"Why should man expect his prayer for mercy to be heard by What is above him when he shows no mercy to what is under him?" ~Pierre Troubetzkoy
#4537 Old 07-03-2012, 03:25 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by @rno View Post

Sorry, it is in Dutch, but I think you will understand the meaning:

bruine bonen
witte bonen
linzen
doperwten
kidneybonen
kikkererwten
kapucijners
adukibonen
sojabonen
limabonen
sperziebonen
pinda's
amandelen
hazelnoten
cashewnoten
macadamianoten
pijnboompitten
pistachenoten
pompoenpitten
paranoten
pecannoten
sesamzaad/tahin
walnoten
zonnebloempitten
kokos
lijnzaad
boekweit
couscous
macaroni/spaghetti
zilvervliesrijst
haver
gerst
gierst
tarwe
quinoa
brinta
boerenkool
broccoli
groene kool
spinazie
spruitjes
taugé
savoiekool
zuurkool
peterselie
seitan
tempeh
tahoe/tofu
shiitake

adukibonen
amandelen
appelstroop
asperges
aubergine
augurken
boekweit
brood
boerenkool
bessen
brinta
broccoli
bruine bonen
cashewnoten
casave
courgette
couscous
doperwten
erwten
framboos
gemberwortel
gerst
gierst
griesmeel
groene kool
haver
havermout
hazelnoten
ijsbergsla
kidneybonen
keukenstroop
kikkererwten
knoflook
knolselderij
kokos
krenten
kruisbessen
linzen
paranoten
macaroni/spaghetti
pecannoten
peterselie
pijnboompitten
pinda
pindakaas
pistachenoten
pompoenpitten
postelein
prei
quinoa (graan)

zilvervlies rijst
rode bes
roggebrood
rucola
schorseneer
seitan
sesamzaad
sla
spinazie
tahin (sesampasta)
tofu/tahoe
tempeh
tuinbonen
walnoten
witte bonen
wortel
zonnenbloempitten

druiven
appel
banaan
sinaasappel
grapefruit
amandelen
aubergine
augurken
bessen
broccoli
cashewnoten
courgette
framboos
hazelnoten
ijsbergsla
knoflook
kokos
krenten
kruisbessen
peterselie
rode bes
rucola
sesamzaad
sla
wortel
champignons
peterselie
paprika
komkommer
taugé
tomaat
radijs
wortelen
ui
avocado

Reminds me of this video grin.gif

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#4538 Old 07-03-2012, 03:27 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4everaspirit View Post

*sigh* My brother just came to me and asked me if I knew that chick-fil-a uses ricedream for their icecream. I had a o.O? Moment but I had heard several of his claims before and they usually turn out to be false so I was like, "ricedream?"

He was like yeah! It's called "icedream." I was like V___V "That does not mean it was made with "RiceDream." He paused for a minute so I knew I had caught him and he was just spewing forth crap that he really had no idea about, like he always does. I told him to stop lying as he didn't have a clue. He then told me"Yeah, look it up" and viola~ Nothing less than what I expected, no such thing as chick-fil-a starting to find it's heart and use Rice milk for their icecream. It was just non fat dry milk. Bleh.

It's just so annoying how he is anxious to tell me these new fantasy vegan finds and yet I know before I even look it up that there is just no way LOL. His false hopes don't work. rolleyes.gif This is about the 4th one I have heard from him? xD

That's WEIRD. What is even his motivation for doing that? Seems like a silly way to get attention tongue3.gif

#4539 Old 07-03-2012, 03:59 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

Quote:

That's WEIRD. What is even his motivation for doing that? Seems like a silly way to get attention tongue3.gif

I dunno, I think he believes the first thought that comes to his mind! Icedream sounds close to Ricedream. It must be so! I must spread the word! rolleyes.gif

LOL by the way, that video is awesome. Oh and your sig is beast too <3 Love, luv, <3 it. Spiritual intensity, awww yeah xD

#4540 Old 07-03-2012, 04:11 PM
Vegetarian

Quote:

+1

Don't worry, there is a chance that person will be a vegan someday. I've seen it where new veggies admit to having been obnoxious to veggies or were hardcore meat eaters that thought vegetarians were out of their minds, and they come back looking for forgiveness for their past actions towards animals and others :P It's actually quite touching <3 =3

I'll fess up to be one of those omnivores. I realized that there was some major contradictions going on. Are dogs okay to eat? To kill? If it okay to lock a chicken up their entire lives, why is it bad to do trap the cat in the laundry hamper for days? Questions, questions... I think that I was in some sort of overcompensation thing going. I'm not sure what your brother is thinking, but my mom is kind of like that. She'll see some lactose free cheese, and point it out to me say say that it is vegan and if I want it. She is just a little bit excited about finding vegan things and jumps the gun in believing it. Maybe your brother is the same?

#4541 Old 07-03-2012, 05:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Reminds me of this video grin.gif

This video can't be posted enough imo tongue3.gif

#4542 Old 07-04-2012, 03:59 AM
Super Moderator

"Do you have any idea what happens to cows when you don't milk them? Their udders will literally explode."

Real comment from a breastfeeding article.

#4543 Old 07-04-2012, 06:21 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

"Do you have any idea what happens to cows when you don't milk them? Their udders will literally explode."

Oh I forgot; cows don't have babies that need to be fed. God made them specifically for human use. 

-Martha Graham

#4544 Old 07-04-2012, 07:25 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

God made them specifically for human use. 

Sad I have actually heard this as a serious argument.

#4545 Old 07-04-2012, 08:37 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornsail View Post

It is indeed very sad. 

-Martha Graham

#4546 Old 07-04-2012, 08:48 AM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

Oh my god....I had a teacher say this. I was mortified. I also want to punch myself REALLY HARD for not correcting him. I will do so next time. NO "I'm too shy excuses." That mindset needs to GO. It's a main reason allowing people to reason drinking cows milk. V_V

#4547 Old 07-04-2012, 08:51 AM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornsail View Post

Reminds me of the "God told me to do this" kind of people. "God told me to steal the HD 70 inch plasma screen tv, you can't go against god man D: !" LOL V____V

#4548 Old 07-04-2012, 10:03 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:

Oh my god....I had a teacher say this. I was mortified. I also want to punch myself REALLY HARD for not correcting him. I will do so next time. NO "I'm too shy excuses." That mindset needs to GO. It's a main reason allowing people to reason drinking cows milk. V_V

I used to be too shy to speak up, then I became a vegetarian, educated myself on the injustices, and it boosted my confidence. You can do it next time :)

#4549 Old 07-04-2012, 12:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I'm learning to speak up for myself and of course for the animals, too.

I have let too many opportunities to correct someone slip, and I'm not doing it anymore. 

-Martha Graham

#4550 Old 07-04-2012, 12:56 PM

"Where do you get your protein?"

"So all you eat is fruit & vegetables?"

Are among a few, there's been others but not any I can think of right now. The important thing is to never apologize, never apologize for being vegan or vegetarian, we don't need to make excuses. There is no need to say sorry for being kind towards all living beings.

Persephone104, if you have access to itunes or if you have an iphone and you search for "Vegetarian", there's an amazing podcast by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau called Vegetarian Food For Thought and it really helps with everything including speaking to people, I'm sure you'd find it very helpful. It's helped me immensely and is great to listen to. smiley.gif

#4551 Old 07-04-2012, 01:30 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

Quote:

I'm learning to speak up for myself and of course for the animals, too.

I have let too many opportunities to correct someone slip, and I'm not doing it anymore. 

Good for you :D Glad I'm not the only one who was (and still is) a bit nervous with confronting people about something so passionate to me, but yeah, I think I'm getting better at it and I'm glad you are too ^_^

#4552 Old 07-04-2012, 01:31 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veggie4everr View Posthe important thing is to never apologize, never apologize for being vegan or vegetarian, we don't need to make excuses. There is no need to say sorry for being kind towards all living beings.

Persephone104, if you have access to itunes or if you have an iphone and you search for "Vegetarian", there's an amazing podcast by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau called Vegetarian Food For Thought and it really helps with everything including speaking to people, I'm sure you'd find it very helpful. It's helped me immensely and is great to listen to. smiley.gif

I apologized once, but I was just caught off guard. Didn't really hurt me because the person was interested in what I had to say, so phew.

I'll have to check up on that podcast...I'm like to listen to something on my ipod other than music lol.

#4553 Old 07-04-2012, 02:45 PM
Vegetarian

So I just got done chatting with a blood type diet person. Eat right for your type. Told her I was type O and didn't eat meat (type Os need lots of meat). Said that Os could be vegetarians, they just had to supplement. Told her I didn't supplement and was fine. Asked me where I got my calcium and I said almond milk, since I hate dairy. Was pleased that I at least followed that part of the blood type diet (Os aren't suppose to eat dairy). Just wondering what the calcium question was about. Was she trying to transition into dairy, or does calcium really come from meat in any significant way?

#4554 Old 07-05-2012, 01:02 AM
Super Moderator

So, I just found this, apparently taxidermy was the cool thing for kids to do in the 1930's. Fun and profitable too! spew.gif

http://www.retronaut.co/2012/07/fun-make-this-squirrel-lamp-1933/

#4555 Old 07-05-2012, 01:47 AM
Veggie Regular

My aunt asked if i'm still not eating meat, and then said i won't be able to get protein, i just said i get it from other sources. Another family member a while ago asked if we'll be raising out son vegetarian and when i said yes they said "come on you're not going to let him have a burger once" Luckily at least in front of my face, my family doesn't seem to harp on it and the convo switches gears fast, so glad i haven't had very many remarks about my eating habits throughout the pregnancy.

#4556 Old 07-05-2012, 11:29 AM
Vegetarian

Quote:

So, I just found this, apparently taxidermy was the cool thing for kids to do in the 1930's. Fun and profitable too! spew.gif
http://www.retronaut.co/2012/07/fun-make-this-squirrel-lamp-1933/

d.jpg

That actually looks like a cool lamp. I would get one, except, you know, it has murdered creatures adorning it for our pleasure. But seriously, if it wasn't made from dead things, I would like to have that lamp.

#4557 Old 07-05-2012, 03:47 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah, it would be a whole lot cuter if it weren't made of dead squirrels bigcry.gif

#4558 Old 07-05-2012, 03:49 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlixJ18 View Post

My aunt asked if i'm still not eating meat, and then said i won't be able to get protein, i just said i get it from other sources. Another family member a while ago asked if we'll be raising out son vegetarian and when i said yes they said "come on you're not going to let him have a burger once" Luckily at least in front of my face, my family doesn't seem to harp on it and the convo switches gears fast, so glad i haven't had very many remarks about my eating habits throughout the pregnancy.

Ugh, comments like that are so annoying. Although I've never experienced myself I've seen a few pregnant friends get hassled by people with all sorts of opinions and arguments on how they should raise their baby. Yeesh, boundaries people! rolleyes.gif

#4559 Old 07-05-2012, 06:27 PM

I had one a few days ago at work.

Co-worker: Do you drink milk??

Me: Nope.

Co-worker: You're poor bones!

It was kind of cute, haha.

#4560 Old 07-05-2012, 09:06 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

Quote:
Originally Posted by turdtacular View Post

I had one a few days ago at work.

Co-worker: Do you drink milk??

Me: Nope.

Co-worker: You're poor bones!

It was kind of cute, haha.

Oh yay my cholesterol free arteries! :D

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page