Forum Jump: 
 265Likes
Closed Thread

#4501 Old 06-27-2012, 12:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

*sigh* rolleyes.gif
The last comment annoys me the most. The first two are just people being dicks, the last one is super ignorant. So many people are still so misinformed about nutrition, it irritates me brood.gif

I agree.
That last one really really bothers me.

"Ugliness, if given a powerful voice, can be beautiful."

-Martha Graham

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4502 Old 06-27-2012, 01:44 PM
Veggie Regular

I just heard the most annoying commercial. I went like this ...
"Bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon
BACON BACON BACON BACON BACON BACON BACON
BACONBACONBACONBACONBACONBACON
did i mention bacon"
End commercial
Really
#4503 Old 06-27-2012, 01:53 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

Quote:
Originally Posted by krispex22 View Post

did i mention bacon"
End commercial
Really

brood.gif I hope they meant fakin bacon.

"Why should man expect his prayer for mercy to be heard by What is above him when he shows no mercy to what is under him?" ~Pierre Troubetzkoy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4504 Old 06-27-2012, 02:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4everaspirit View Post

brood.gif I hope they meant fakin bacon.
It was for some new bacon burger at burgerking or something
#4505 Old 06-27-2012, 03:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

did i mention bacon"
End commercial
Really

They should add on to the song. You know what rhymes with "bacon"?

ANIMAL EXPLOITATION. 

-Martha Graham

#4506 Old 06-27-2012, 04:45 PM
Veggie Regular

I got another one today that I almost got into an argument over.

My friend and I were talking about why exactly I don't eat meat.

Friend: Why don't you eat meat?

Me: I don't agree with factory farming. I could send you some stuff that would better explain what factory farming is and why it's wrong.

Friend: Is it going to make me not want to eat it?

Me: There's a pretty good chance...

Friend: Don't send it to me.

I hate nothing more than when people know in their hearts that what's going on is bad, yet they can't handle seeing the truth because they're afraid they might feel guilty enough or upset enough to give up their precious meat. 

-Martha Graham

#4507 Old 06-27-2012, 05:08 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persephone104 View Post

Me: I don't agree with factory farming. I could send you some stuff that would better explain what factory farming is and why it's wrong.

I hate nothing more than when people know in their hearts that what's going on is bad, yet they can't handle seeing the truth because they're afraid they might feel guilty enough or upset enough to give up their precious meat. 

That would make me so mad...they ask you about it and they they are like, "don't tell me about it V_V" Hence why I like to keep my pamphlets on hand with me, so I don't even have to ASK them if they would like some info on it later. I have it right there and can offer it to them and I would think it would be a little harder to refuse when you already have stuff right there.

I'd recommend explaining to people that it's okay if they feel guilty for eating meat! Feeling guilty is a good thing because that means you know it's wrong and you have a chance to simply end the guilt and the scar in the back of your mind by just stopping consumption of meat xD

I have been in similar situations. I was at a pay perview station with some friends and I was like "Please! :D They will give you a dollar to just view it! And you can use that to buy something!." They just stared at me with terrified faces like they had been caught in a trap. Then this random vegan comes up and takes over for me and starts talking to my friends lol, saying "Well, if you wouldn't want to watch this, why would you support it. Why would you support companies that you know you don't agree with?" LOL that guy was awesome. My friends still declined. V__V I wasn't going to force them. They still eat meat to this day and they know my reasons for going vegan :/

"Why should man expect his prayer for mercy to be heard by What is above him when he shows no mercy to what is under him?" ~Pierre Troubetzkoy
#4508 Old 06-27-2012, 05:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohom View Post

A family member (who is all about the meat and potatoes):

FM: No, that's wrong. Why are you saying that humans are biologically supposed to be herbivores?

Me: Erm, because we are. Research shows that both our teeth and intestines are unsuitable for meat consumption.

Err not quite, yes we lean more to the herbivore side of the spectrum as far as pysiology is concerned, but we have gained some adaptations, that aside we don't need meat to be healthy and thrive, contrary to what many will try to argue.
#4509 Old 06-27-2012, 05:25 PM
Ankle Biter

Quote:

I have heard the same things so many times over the years - it's so frustrating.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#4510 Old 06-27-2012, 08:42 PM

Quote:

did i mention bacon"
End commercial
Really

That sounds exactly like that one commercial for dog treats...

Quote:

I don't know what to tell you, Seph. Based on that conversation, it seems that person already knows how bad it might be and already realizes they should probably change their lifestyle. There's got to be a lot at play. I remember being the same way, not wanting to know information that I wouldn't be able to ignore, holding on tightly to family traditions or habitual eating patterns out of fear of change and.or convenience... or maybe it's less complicated: "Why, oh why didn't I take the blue pill?"

#4511 Old 06-28-2012, 08:51 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

did i mention bacon?"

yes, yes you did
#4512 Old 06-30-2012, 04:36 PM
Super Moderator

So, there was THIS post on reddit of a cute quail chick, and the comments were pretty predictable, all about how it looks delicious, lots of good STOS there.

But the thing that got me was someone asked 'You name your food?' and the OP replied with:
Quote:
Actually, we do =P The quail are for eggs but we have raised several sheep in the past that were for meat. They were treated like outdoor pets and would follow us around our little acreage begging for treats and attention. My wife cried a bit when we took them to the processor. We are absolutely not above eat fasting food but it feels good to know that some of our meat had a good life before it went to "freezer camp" as my wife calls it.

I just don't even.... WHY? bigcry.gif

I have no idea how people can describe how sweet these animals are and how they beg for treats and attention, and then say they cried when they killed them but that's okay because they had a good life before they went to "freezer camp" spew.gif

It's no different than if I took my kitty Moe, who totally trusts me, and then broke his neck and cooked him because I thought roasted cat would be tasty.

I wonder if they realize that they can just not kill their pets or if they're the type of people who genuinely believe you need meat to be healthy and that's why they do it. sad.gif

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#4513 Old 06-30-2012, 04:49 PM
Vegetarian

Quote:

So, there was THIS post on reddit of a cute quail chick, and the comments were pretty predictable, all about how it looks delicious, lots of good STOS there.
But the thing that got me was someone asked 'You name your food?' and the OP replied with:
Quote:
Actually, we do =P The quail are for eggs but we have raised several sheep in the past that were for meat. They were treated like outdoor pets and would follow us around our little acreage begging for treats and attention. My wife cried a bit when we took them to the processor. We are absolutely not above eat fasting food but it feels good to know that some of our meat had a good life before it went to "freezer camp" as my wife calls it.
I just don't even.... WHY? bigcry.gif
I have no idea how people can describe how sweet these animals are and how they beg for treats and attention, and then say they cried when they killed them but that's okay because they had a good life before they went to "freezer camp" spew.gif
It's no different than if I took my kitty Moe, who totally trusts me, and then broke his neck and cooked him because I thought roasted cat would be tasty.
I wonder if they realize that they can just not kill their pets or if they're the type of people who genuinely believe you need meat to be healthy and that's why they do it. sad.gif

It frustrates me too. Do they honestly not realize that you don't have to kill the animals that you love? I think they buy into the natural order thing. I kind of want to make a mock post, showing a picture of a cute little puppy and talking about how delicious he'll be. It's okay though, he'll have a good life.

#4514 Old 07-01-2012, 07:58 PM

I was at a cookout the other night. It was a group of people I wasn't familiar with, but I think they had been made aware I was vegetarian by the fact that they were all eating burgers and hot dogs and I brought my own veggie dogs.

In the middle of a smoking session after, I heard someone say

Quote:
...yeah, you need the nutrients in meat. B12 is a big deal. I guess you can be vegetarian, but you have to really do your homework first. And it's still definitely not going to be as healthy.
#4515 Old 07-01-2012, 08:04 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

Quote:
Originally Posted by microbrien View Post

I was at a cookout the other night. It was a group of people I wasn't familiar with, but I think they had been made aware I was vegetarian by the fact that they were all eating burgers and hot dogs and I brought my own veggie dogs.

Since when did everyone become part time nutritonists? rolleyes.gif Oh that's right, when they found of that you were vegetarian.

Purp likes this.

#4516 Old 07-01-2012, 08:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4everaspirit View Post

Since when did everyone become part time nutritonists? rolleyes.gif Oh that's right, when they found of that you were vegetarian.

laugh.gif

Purp likes this.

-Martha Graham

#4517 Old 07-02-2012, 12:41 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Originally Posted by microbrien View Post

Heh, like the irony!

Funny thing, but much like the promotion of unhealthy foods by giant agribusiness, the tobacco lobby was very successful at repressing research which demonstrated that smoking was bad for you. In fact smoking was promoted to the public as an activity to 'open' up the lungs long after it was known in the industry to be a cause of disease!!

Purp likes this.

The sky is purple and things are right every day

#4518 Old 07-02-2012, 12:15 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

...Might not have meant tobacco...But still I get the point. smiley.gif

I love the comment about people suddenly becoming part-time nutritionists when they hear someone's vegetarian. grin.gif:thumbup:

My latest STOS was a server, granted it was a barbecue place, but...."Are portabella mushrooms vegetarian, though? Why do you not want the cheese, I KNOW that's not meat." And then when my son (19 y.o.) ordered, "Same, please" she asked him if he wanted her to sneak a little meat on there. Like I was somehow forcing him to eat vegan (!) when in reality, he was the one in our family to convert the rest of us when he was just a kid. rolleyes.gif
#4519 Old 07-02-2012, 12:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post

I love the comment about people suddenly becoming part-time nutritionists when they hear someone's vegetarian. grin.gif:thumbup:
My latest STOS was a server, granted it was a barbecue place, but...."Are portabella mushrooms vegetarian, though? Why do you not want the cheese, I KNOW that's not meat." And then when my son (19 y.o.) ordered, "Same, please" she asked him if he wanted her to sneak a little meat on there. Like I was somehow forcing him to eat vegan (!) when in reality, he was the one in our family to convert the rest of us when he was just a kid. rolleyes.gif

I love how omnis think we really want to eat meat.
And by love, I mean hate.

-Martha Graham

#4520 Old 07-02-2012, 01:02 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:

Quote:

I love how omnis think we really want to eat meat.
And by love, I mean hate.
I know, my son was like "Ew no."
#4521 Old 07-02-2012, 01:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I know, my son was like "Ew no."

It's getting harder and harder for me to deal with comments like that. I really have to bite my tongue.

-Martha Graham

#4522 Old 07-02-2012, 01:22 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

Ugh, people in the service industry should not make comments like that, it's so rude rolleyes.gif

I've been a cashier at various stores and there were loads of times when I wanted to say snarky or judgmental things, but I stayed quiet about it because I know it's impolite (plus I didn't want to get fired wink3.gif)

Imagine if the scenario was reversed, how long do you suppose a waitress could stay employed if she was like "Are you SURE you don't want the veggie burger, you're really going to eat all that artery clogging meat? You don't need cheese on that you know, cows milk is for baby cows." My guess is not too long tongue3.gif
Purp likes this.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#4523 Old 07-02-2012, 01:41 PM

Quote:

Ugh, people in the service industry should not make comments like that, it's so rude rolleyes.gif
I've been a cashier at various stores and there were loads of times when I wanted to say snarky or judgmental things, but I stayed quiet about it because I know it's impolite (plus I didn't want to get fired wink3.gif)
Imagine if the scenario was reversed, how long do you suppose a waitress could stay employed if she was like "Are you SURE you don't want the veggie burger, you're really going to eat all that artery clogging meat? You don't need cheese on that you know, cows milk is for baby cows." My guess is not too long tongue3.gif

I really don't understand why servers would feel the need to comment on it, like it's any of their business at all. I'm glad I've never had to deal with comments like :P

A while ago I went to church (my dad was preaching and it was father's day, I couldn't NOT go lol) and my mom told me how she told her friend I'm vegan and she asks "What does she eat??". That was bad enough on it's own, but my mom's response? "Nothing!" I know she was joking, and I laughed but it was a facepalm moment. My mom took me over to explain what I actually can eat. I had no idea what to say. Pretty much anything I want? I don't know. I hate having attention on me like that, haha.

#4524 Old 07-02-2012, 01:52 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

Quote:

I'm a waitress and that is completely unacceptable. I would have said something along the lines of "You know, making fun of customers food choices is not good for business. My lifestyle is always the butt of jokes, but I wouldn't expect it from someone who is relying on me to supplement their income." Sounds harsh, but it's SO rude to say things like that. Or the nicer "Cheese isn't meat, but lots of animals die to get it. And no, I haven't "converted" my son, he converted me. Making assumptions with your customers isn't always a good thing."

And WG, you're right. It's not okay to push your beliefs on your customers, omnis or veggies. I'm a veggie and I still manage to do my job without putting my customer on the defensive. If people ask, I'll tell them, but I don't make it an issue.

#4525 Old 07-02-2012, 01:56 PM
Super Moderator

On a happy note, I met 3 veggies last night at my work! One lady had been a veggie for over 24 years, another guy rubbed off his veggie habits on his girlfriend, and another was a vegan out with her family. The Dad tried the fake chicken his daughter ordered and said it wasn't bad. He told me that she was a vegan and we briefly talked about vegetarianism. I told him I knew tons of vegan friends, he asked me if they supplemented, I said no, that a balanced diet was more than enough grin.gif Hope that made the daughter feel good. I'm sure she hears it a lot, that a vegan diet isn't healthy.

Purp likes this.
#4526 Old 07-02-2012, 02:02 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

On a happy note, I met 3 veggies last night at my work! One lady had been a veggie for over 24 years, another guy rubbed off his veggie habits on his girlfriend, and another was a vegan out with her family. The Dad tried the fake chicken his daughter ordered and said it wasn't bad. He told me that she was a vegan and we briefly talked about vegetarianism. I told him I knew tons of vegan friends, he asked me if they supplemented, I said no, that a balanced diet was more than enough grin.gif Hope that made the daughter feel good. I'm sure she hears it a lot, that a vegan diet isn't healthy.

Yay! Slowly but surely, the vegheads are taking over the world. Muahaha! evil.gif
Purp likes this.

#4527 Old 07-02-2012, 02:14 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

Yay! Slowly but surely, the vegheads are taking over the world. Muahaha! evil.gif

Yay!!

#4528 Old 07-02-2012, 03:40 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

Quote:

Quote:

I'm a waitress and that is completely unacceptable. I would have said something along the lines of "You know, making fun of customers food choices is not good for business. My lifestyle is always the butt of jokes, but I wouldn't expect it from someone who is relying on me to supplement their income." Sounds harsh, but it's SO rude to say things like that. Or the nicer "Cheese isn't meat, but lots of animals die to get it. And no, I haven't "converted" my son, he converted me. Making assumptions with your customers isn't always a good thing."

And WG, you're right. It's not okay to push your beliefs on your customers, omnis or veggies. I'm a veggie and I still manage to do my job without putting my customer on the defensive. If people ask, I'll tell them, but I don't make it an issue.

I wish I could have thought that fast! I was so surprised, I didn't say anything. sad.gif
#4529 Old 07-02-2012, 09:19 PM

Quote:

It's getting harder and harder for me to deal with comments like that. I really have to bite my tongue.

Careful not to bite it off.

#4530 Old 07-03-2012, 10:06 AM
Beginner

One thing that drives me crazy is you see all these bible fanatics out there.  They are great because they read the bible, their soul is saved, whatever.  You know what I mean.  Then you see them at McD's scarffing down a double quarter pounder with cheese, and there are two blatant sins  happening right there: murder and gluttony.    Talk about hypocrytical!

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page