Stupid Things Omnivores Say, Version 5.0 - Page 150 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 265Likes
Closed Thread

#4471 Old 06-26-2012, 08:54 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

I know picky eaters like that, who won't eat fruits/veggies/grains, just high fat, deep fried food. It's no surprise when every one has told me that they go days without pooping. Days, like 3-4, sometimes more. That can't be comfortable.

Wow.  I don't even...wow.

Dependent on laxatives much?

~Ok, she's deranged. But so, so playful.~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4472 Old 06-26-2012, 09:11 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockette79 View Post

Wow.  I don't even...wow.

Dependent on laxatives much?

Maybe. Or they just wait it out. Seriously, OUCH. When I was an omni, it wasn't uncommon to go every other day or every 3 days. I don't miss those days at all.

#4473 Old 06-26-2012, 10:32 AM
Veggie Regular

There's an ad for a family benefit pinned up at my work. The paper explains that the family is going through hard times and really could use some extra money.

The wife is "undergoing treatment for breast cancer." The husband is in "remission from leukemia" and suffers from "severe diabetes" and just had a "quadruple bypass last August."

The fundraising event is a steak fry.

(I'm not trying to make fun of these people, but just point out how sad the whole situation is.)

slops, gloops, and gruels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4474 Old 06-26-2012, 10:38 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by peace View Post

There's an ad for a family benefit pinned up at my work. The paper explains that the family is going through hard times and really could use some extra money.

The wife is "undergoing treatment for breast cancer." The husband is in "remission from leukemia" and suffers from "severe diabetes" and just had a "quadruple bypass last August."

The fundraising event is a steak fry.

(I'm not trying to make fun of these people, but just point out how sad the whole situation is.)

Yeah, that is really sad.sad.gif

"Ugliness, if given a powerful voice, can be beautiful."

-Martha Graham

#4475 Old 06-26-2012, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persephone104 View Post

Yeah, that is really sad.sad.gif

My father had colon cancer about ten years ago. He had the tumor surgically removed and he's been cancer free ever since. Still, part of why I wanted to go vegetarian when I began was and still is for health reasons. I really wanted to reduce my risk of cancer and heart disease, as it's extremely common on both sides of my family.

When I told someone close to me I was omitting meat from my diet they completely flipped. I now know they were mostly upset about the idea of being unable to share favorite family recipes any more, but at the time, they were really emotional and combative. I tried to explain my reasoning and they refused to accept that my father's high meat-protein diet, that included red meat almost daily, had anything to do with his cancer. They refused to believe that his high cholesterol was anything but genetic. It was really upsetting.

At one point they implied that I didn't know what I was talking about anyway.

I said, "I'm not saying I'm an expert, but I've spent a lot of time looking into this. I've done a lot of reading."

They replied, "It's not about reading, Chris. It's about common sense."

...my thoughts on "common sense" could probably fill its own thread, so I'll stop there for now.

The steak-fry thing is upsetting, but it's more upsetting how few people really understand the risks of eating a lot of meat, especially red meat. I'm all for personal freedoms. I believe people have the right to be unhealthy if they wish. However, I also believe in education and information. I believe in fairness. Too few people are educated about their diets and too few care to learn. Too few people consider the future and the repercussions of their unhealthy ways, or what economic consequences there may be for themselves, their families, and in a larger scope, for the health care system.

#4476 Old 06-26-2012, 11:25 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by microbrien View Post

The steak-fry thing is upsetting, but it's more upsetting how few people really understand the risks of eating a lot of meat, especially red meat. I'm all for personal freedoms. I believe people have the right to be unhealthy if they wish. However, I also believe in education and information. I believe in fairness. Too few people are educated about their diets and too few care to learn. Too few people consider the future and the repercussions of their unhealthy ways, or what economic consequences there may be for themselves, their families, and in a larger scope, for the health care system.

I seriously could not agree more. 

People have free will and a right to choose. But my goal (hopefully one that I could make a career out of) is to educate and inform people about what's really going on in the food industry and other industries that affect both animals and the environment. I want them to be able to make a decision based on the truth rather than what they have been told or what they assume. 

-Martha Graham

#4477 Old 06-26-2012, 11:58 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I said, "I'm not saying I'm an expert, but I've spent a lot of time looking into this. I've done a lot of reading."

They replied, "It's not about reading, Chris. It's about common sense."

[...]

One of the things I think people in the USA in particular (though it happens over here too) can be victims of which does nothing to rectify the kinds of ignorance you describe above, is the political power - via processes like lobbying - that big food industries can wield.

I've been watching "The Men Who Made Us Fat" in the UK recently, which is a fairly lightweight yet fascinating look into those industries which have contributed to a vast increase in obesity (amongst other health problems) in the past few decades, both in the US and more latterly, over here too. The repression of academic papers demonstrating the relationship between the kinds of high meat, high fat, high sugar foods provided by big and powerful fast food chains in particular, and serious illnesses such as diabetes, various forms of cancer and heart disease, is really pretty disturbing. And it's not only papers that have been repressed, rather going off on a tangent here but even careers have been damaged by economically motivated campaigns to discredit the work of researchers who have released findings which don't make happy reading for the McDonalds of this world. 

That's the uphill struggle faced by advocates of healthier diets such as meat and dairy free diets. Having said that, I think the message is finally getting out there. And ironically, considering the superficiality of much celebrity culture, it's celebrity advocates who are probably responsible for a fair amount of public education on that front, rather than government health authorities who cow tow to the money wielded by industry!

ETA: A tangential issue but this story from 2003 is worth reading when considering the power that can be exerted by big junk food companies:

The sugar industry in the US is threatening to bring the World Health Organisation to its knees by demanding that Congress end its funding unless the WHO scraps guidelines on healthy eating, due to be published on Wednesday.The threat is being described by WHO insiders as tantamount to blackmail and worse than any pressure exerted by the tobacco lobby.In a letter to Gro Harlem Brundtland, the WHO's director general, the Sugar Association says it will "exercise every avenue available to expose the dubious nature" of the WHO's report on diet and nutrition, including challenging its $406m (£260m) funding from the US.The industry is furious at the guidelines, which say that sugar should account for no more than 10% of a healthy diet. It claims that the review by international experts which decided on the 10% limit is scientifically flawed, insisting that other evidence indicates that a quarter of our food and drink intake can safely consist of sugar."Taxpayers' dollars should not be used to support misguided, non-science-based reports which do not add to the health and well-being of Americans, much less the rest of the world," says the letter. "If necessary we will promote and encourage new laws which require future WHO funding to be provided only if the organisation accepts that all reports must be supported by the preponderance of science."The association, together with six other big food industry groups, has also written to the US health secretary, Tommy Thompson, asking him to use his influence to get the WHO report withdrawn. The coalition includes the US Council for International Business, comprising more than 300 companies, including Coca-Cola and Pepsico.

The sky is purple and things are right every day

#4478 Old 06-26-2012, 12:04 PM

Quote:

I seriously could not agree more. 

People have free will and a right to choose. But my goal (hopefully one that I could make a career out of) is to educate and inform people about what's really going on in the food industry and other industries that affect both animals and the environment. I want them to be able to make a decision based on the truth rather than what they have been told or what they assume. 

I think one of the best ways to do this is to be a good example. I try to eat healthy, delicious food. I always offer to make that food for others as well. I don't "cheat" on my choices and I always try to politely make it clear that it is a choice. When asked questions, I respond with the facts I'm confident I know, or I recommend a reliable resource. Most of all, I always try to be honest about my reasons for going veg and my current thoughts and feelings on the subject. I hope that consistently behaving this way gets others interested in learning more.

I don't believe handing out pamphlets to aunts and uncles or forcing my dad to watch Meet Your Meat would be very respectful or constructive. I'm not criticizing anyone who does or has done that sort of thing, it's just not something I'm comfortable doing. But it is a dilemma when it comes to family. My parents are a good example. I want them to be healthy and I want them to be around for as long as possible. I worry about their diets sometimes, but I have to resist the temptation to force them to hear or look at information for which they haven't expressed interest. They've got to want to find out about it, or it will only harm our relationships.

#4479 Old 06-26-2012, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'IckenNoodleSoup View Post

One of the things I think people in the USA in particular (though it happens over here too) can be victims of which does nothing to rectify the kinds of ignorance you describe above, is the political power - via processes like lobbying - that big food industries can wield. I've been watching "The Men Who Made Us Fat" in the UK recently, which is a fairly lightweight yet fascinating look into those industries (meat, sugar etc.) which have contributed to a vast increase in obesity (amongst other health problems) in the past few decades, both in the US and more latterly, over here too. The repression of academic papers demonstrating the relationship between the kinds of high meat, high fat, high sugar foods provided by big and powerful fast food chains in particular, and serious illnesses such as diabetes, various forms of cancer and heart disease, is really pretty disturbing. And it's not only papers that have been repressed, rather going off on a tangent here but even careers have been damaged by economically motivated campaigns to discredit the work of researchers who have released findings which don't make happy reading for the McDonalds of this world. That's the uphill struggle faced by advocates of healthier diets such as meat and dairy free diets. Having said that, I think the message is finally getting out there. And ironically, considering the superficiality of much celebrity culture, it's celebrity advocates who are probably responsible for a fair amount of public education on that front, rather than government health authorities who cow tow to the money wielded by industry!

I hate to always be the cynic, but I cringe every time I hear "that can't be true; the Government wouldn't let that happen."

I can't speak for the U.K., but the United States' foundation is built from the ideas of men who promoted a healthy skepticism of government. I'm not saying that government can't be trusted at all, but even unflappable optimists should remember that all government is made up of people. Fallible, corruptable people. And in the U.S. (idyllically, at least), it's made up of individuals who come from the same group of people who decided they should be in the government in the first place, so it's at least doubly fallible--maybe exponentially fallible as those officials then appoint others.  

#4480 Old 06-26-2012, 01:04 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

I have a friend who's an omni, and she is extremely picky about her food.
And then when I explained veganism to her, she was so surprised about "all the things I can't eat."
A lot of omnis are under the misconception that veganism restricts your diet so much because all the things you don't eat are pretty much the only things they do eat. But my diet ended up with a lot more variety and choices when I went vegetarian and then vegan. 

Yeah, it's crazy to me how much your perception changes when you start learning about all the vegan food out there. I used to look at the huge produce aisle at the grocery store and just see salad and maybe some apples, now I realize there are literally thousands of meals (both raw and cooked) you can make from all that. Curries, stir fries, soups! Roast them, bake them, boil them! Endless possibilities and that's only one section of the store drool.gif

When I was a kid all I ate was meat and potatoes and candy, of course I didn't realize vegans had varied diets, my own diet sucked! laugh.gif
Purp likes this.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#4481 Old 06-26-2012, 02:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

Yeah, it's crazy to me how much your perception changes when you start learning about all the vegan food out there. I used to look at the huge produce aisle at the grocery store and just see salad and maybe some apples, now I realize there are literally thousands of meals (both raw and cooked) you can make from all that. Curries, stir fries, soups! Roast them, bake them, boil them! Endless possibilities and that's only one section of the store drool.gif
When I was a kid all I ate was meat and potatoes and candy, of course I didn't realize vegans had varied diets, my own diet sucked! laugh.gif

I am the same way with the produce section of the store now. I'm always trying to imagine new combinations or new ways to fix things. :)

Purp likes this.

-Martha Graham

#4482 Old 06-26-2012, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

I know picky eaters like that, who won't eat fruits/veggies/grains, just high fat, deep fried food. It's no surprise when every one has told me that they go days without pooping. Days, like 3-4, sometimes more. That can't be comfortable.

I have a co-worker who does not eat any veggies or fruits. Well, he did tell me that he eats lettuce about twice a year. Most days for lunch he gets chicken fingers and fries. I don't know how he's  alive! 

#4483 Old 06-26-2012, 04:07 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

Oh my gosh LOL Just found this one scrounging through pro vegan videos.....How far are some people going to walk to justify eating meat? Honestly, they start pulling things out of their a**

"Human ancestors could eat raw meat. However you gain more energy from cooked meat and thats why they started to cook it. Evolution conditioned us for cooked meat. "

Ummm, okay....where are these clear facts? xD I have never heard of such a thing till now.

"Why should man expect his prayer for mercy to be heard by What is above him when he shows no mercy to what is under him?" ~Pierre Troubetzkoy
#4484 Old 06-26-2012, 04:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4everaspirit View Post

Oh my gosh LOL Just found this one scrounging through pro vegan videos.....How far are some people going to walk to justify eating meat? Honestly, they start pulling things out of their a**

"Human ancestors could eat raw meat. However you gain more energy from cooked meat and thats why they started to cook it. Evolution conditioned us for cooked meat. "

Ummm, okay....where are these clear facts? xD I have never heard of such a thing till now.

I think people just say things and then decide they are geniuses for their stellar skills to explain things they know absolutely nothing about. 

-Martha Graham

#4485 Old 06-26-2012, 05:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

Exactly, when your whole world is built around meat and potatoes, the idea of going vegan can seem frightening to say he least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by megawoods View Post

I have a co-worker who does not eat any veggies or fruits. Well, he did tell me that he eats lettuce about twice a year. Most days for lunch he gets chicken fingers and fries. I don't know how he's  alive! 

It'll catch him sooner or later
Purp likes this.
#4486 Old 06-26-2012, 07:15 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

I sometimes still get comments from my family when I eat boca meat or something. They say "I don't understand why you would eat this fake stuff, when you could just have the real thing."

*___* Everyone in my family knows why I'm vegan, it's pretty clear; for the animals. So I don't understand where the pieces are not fitting (either that or they are still in denial). I can still enjoy the taste and texture of meat (right now I'm eating green beans though haha) without harming or needlessly killing animals. sheep.gif  thinking.gif

Purp likes this.

"Why should man expect his prayer for mercy to be heard by What is above him when he shows no mercy to what is under him?" ~Pierre Troubetzkoy
#4487 Old 06-26-2012, 08:13 PM

Quote:

I sometimes still get comments from my family when I eat boca meat or something. They say "I don't understand why you would eat this fake stuff, when you could just have the real thing."

*___* Everyone in my family knows why I'm vegan, it's pretty clear; for the animals. So I don't understand where the pieces are not fitting (either that or they are still in denial). I can still enjoy the taste and texture of meat (right now I'm eating green beans though haha) without harming or needlessly killing animals. sheep.gif  thinking.gif

Why would you eat that real stuff, when this fake stuff is so good?

#4488 Old 06-26-2012, 08:23 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

Quote:

Why would you eat that real stuff, when this fake stuff is so good?

LOL it is fairly good, but even if it wasn't that great, I'd still eat it for my animal friends. LOL but I can see that being a witty comeback xD

#4489 Old 06-26-2012, 08:25 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

Did anyone else hear this on the Radio? I cannot believe my ears.

Rightsize smoothie's ad said, "And if you ever need to lose more weight, you can just eat more smoothies!" 

*_____*  Something just doesn't seem quite right...

#4490 Old 06-26-2012, 08:55 PM
Vegetarian

Quote:

Rightsize smoothie's ad said, "And if you ever need to lose more weight, you can just eat more smoothies!" 

Seems legit (sarcasm)

#4491 Old 06-26-2012, 11:51 PM
Veggie Regular

A family member (who is all about the meat and potatoes):

FM: No, that's wrong. Why are you saying that humans are biologically supposed to be herbivores?

Me: Erm, because we are. Research shows that both our teeth and intestines are unsuitable for meat consumption.

FM: But if that was true we wouldn't have eaten meat for thousands of years!

Me: Just because we do something for a long time, doesn't mean it's right. 

FM: I'm tired of this discussion, just use some common sense! Humans eat meat. It's the way it is!

Okay, so my argument included research and a counter-point to his argument. His argument included....IT'S THE WAY IT IS. 

Purp likes this.
#4492 Old 06-27-2012, 04:49 AM
Ankle Biter

I just saw an ad for Hellman's mayonnaise that claimed Hellman's is made with "real" ingredients, including "cage-free eggs".  Cage-free eggs?  I hope they meant that the chickens are cage-free, because it really doesn't matter much to an egg. rolleyes.gif

Purp likes this.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#4493 Old 06-27-2012, 09:18 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by megawoods View Post

I wonder if this coworker has had blood work recently. When I was an omni, I used to eat a lot of chicken fingers and fries. My stomach always hurt and I never felt good. Wonder why.... spew.gif

#4494 Old 06-27-2012, 10:09 AM
Veggie Regular

Sorry to be OT, but what are chicken fingers? I'm guessing you guys are American?

Are these actual chicken fingers (I wouldn't put it past an omni! Hehe) or like chicken nuggets?

#4495 Old 06-27-2012, 10:12 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohom View Post

Sorry to be OT, but what are chicken fingers? I'm guessing you guys are American?

Are these actual chicken fingers (I wouldn't put it past an omni! Hehe) or like chicken nuggets?

They're like chicken nuggets, but longer, thinner, and "of better quality" essentially.

-Martha Graham

#4496 Old 06-27-2012, 11:19 AM
Veggie Regular

I went to dim sum when I was omni and a friend of a friend of mine did order chicken feet....blank.gif  Some people do eat them. (I did not partake...yeck)

#4497 Old 06-27-2012, 11:58 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limes View Post

I went to dim sum when I was omni and a friend of a friend of mine did order chicken feet....blank.gif   Some people do eat them. (I did not partake...yeck)

I've seen chicken feet on sale before, also other gross stuff like cows tongue. SO DISGUSTING. It always amazes me the things people are willing to eat spew.gif

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#4498 Old 06-27-2012, 12:03 PM
Veggie Regular

I just got the classic, "It's population control!"

-Martha Graham

#4499 Old 06-27-2012, 12:34 PM
Vegetarian

(in response to the environmental risk of cows)

"I'm eating the cows, not sure what you are doing"

-

"If you love animals so much, why are you eating all of their food? Do you realize that hundreds of thousands of cows are starving because you HAD to go vegetarian?"

-

"It’s appalling that anyone would think that a diet based on a dubious morality would build a human infant. Children need protein."

#4500 Old 06-27-2012, 12:37 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erratus View Post

(in response to the environmental risk of cows)

"I'm eating the cows, not sure what you are doing"

-

"If you love animals so much, why are you eating all of their food? Do you realize that hundreds of thousands of cows are starving because you HAD to go vegetarian?"

-

"It’s appalling that anyone would think that a diet based on a dubious morality would build a human infant. Children need protein."

*sigh* rolleyes.gif

The last comment annoys me the most. The first two are just people being dicks, the last one is super ignorant. So many people are still so misinformed about nutrition, it irritates me brood.gif

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page