Stupid Things Omnivores Say, Version 5.0 - Page 134 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 265Likes
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
#3991 Old 04-21-2012, 05:24 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Josh James xVx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 3,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginariffic View Post

This was passed on by a friend who is not vegetarian:

This girl walks around the school cafeteria as an "activist" telling people about how horrible it is to eat meat and why they should become vegetarian...while eating chicken nuggets or fish patties.

It's probably another one of those weird people who don't know what words mean.


You mean McNuggets don't grow on McNugget trees?

Tam! RUGH!
Josh James xVx is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#3992 Old 04-21-2012, 05:26 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Thorham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 909
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

How do you not make the connection and realize how wrong it is to wear them?

Because you don't give damn?
Thorham is offline  
#3993 Old 04-21-2012, 05:57 PM
Veggie Regular
 
vegkid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: In the depths of N'Kai
Posts: 3,910
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh James xVx View Post

You mean McNuggets don't grow on McNugget trees?

No, they don't. It's just that certainly any meat she eats is always going to be some kind of magic happy meat "exception" to her ramblings. Some people are just stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorham View Post

Because you don't give damn?

This, probably.

Enjoying the view over at http://forum.veggieviews.com/

vegkid is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#3994 Old 04-22-2012, 03:44 PM
Newbie
 
azalea617's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 8
Reading through this thread only makes me realize how alike all of our experiences are. It's comforting yet frustrating at the same time.

Got a good one yesterday (and by good, I mean, I wanted to punch a wall):

I was at a tattoo shop with my friend and two artists, it was my turn in the chair and we were all having casual conversation.
Friend: "We're eating at Olive Garden later because it's easier for her to find something to eat...she's vegetarian."
Artist working on my ink: "You're vegetarian? Did you know that's actually not healthy for you?"
Friend, artist, and other artist, all essentially in unison and loud voices started stating how being veg really isn't that good and there have been "recent studies" about how you should at least eat a little meat and that they've known people who have been veg for 10 years and they're really sick all the time.

I was so flabbergasted by being attacked that I could barely say anything aside from "well, you can say what you want, but I'm still going to eat what I like because I don't like eating animals. I've actually been healthier in the past 3 yrs of being veg, so whoever you know must not be eating right." They even added in the "you need that protein!"....seriously!? It was like they came on here and picked out a few things they could use on me.

It hurt my feelings a bit that my friend was getting so into telling me all about how I'm unhealthy; she's never had a problem with me being veg before and she knows plenty of other vegetarians. It's like she was waiting for other omni's to back her up. And all the while, I have needles going into my leg...not the time to get yelled at for diet choices!
Purp likes this.
azalea617 is offline  
#3995 Old 04-22-2012, 06:12 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Josh James xVx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 3,097
I think as time goes by you'll become more confident to the point you'll actually laugh out loud when you hear stuff like that. I often make smart remarks when people I work with or live with tell me I'm going to die. I'm like "After nearly a decade? Really? I'm just gonna drop dead all of a sudden?" I can then point out the fact I've been so healthy I haven't missed a single day of work since I've been veg. It kind of makes any and all arguments against my choices look pathetic and unfounded.
Purp likes this.

Tam! RUGH!
Josh James xVx is offline  
#3996 Old 04-22-2012, 07:38 PM
Newbie
 
azalea617's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 8
I think I would have gotten to that eventually, but between how startled I was, the tattoo distracting me, and the fact that they were all doing the "I'm going to interrupt you and talk loudly so you can't prove me wrong" thing....it was hard to get a word in. The last bit? I absolutely cannot stand when people do that to me. I haven't had to defend myself too often in the past 3 years, but I guess if I get a few more opportunities like that, I can get some practice!
Purp likes this.
azalea617 is offline  
#3997 Old 04-23-2012, 02:48 AM
Veggie Regular
 
a Balloon a Balloon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 656
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-17793473

"The vegetarian chef who turned carnivore"
"Bissonnette was a vegetarian before he began specialising in cooking ingredients like veal sweetbreads - the thymus glands of a baby cow.


grrrrr
a Balloon a Balloon is offline  
#3998 Old 04-23-2012, 10:59 AM
Newbie
 
lynchalbert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by azalea617 View Post

I think I would have gotten to that eventually, but between how startled I was, the tattoo distracting me, and the fact that they were all doing the "I'm going to interrupt you and talk loudly so you can't prove me wrong" thing....it was hard to get a word in. The last bit? I absolutely cannot stand when people do that to me. I haven't had to defend myself too often in the past 3 years, but I guess if I get a few more opportunities like that, I can get some practice!

I'm new from being vegetarian but every time I heard someone talking like them... I just laugh... we really need protein and they are right but what they didn't know, that protein can also be found in veggie.. why I laugh? it proves that I am smarter than them.. when they say I will die or I will be sick.... then why vegetarian people like us still lives!! live and kicking...?

http://allstopsnoringaids.com

lynchalbert is offline  
#3999 Old 04-23-2012, 11:06 AM
Newbie
 
lynchalbert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 80
and ONE MORE THING!!! My grand mother is already 94 year old and going to 95 I ask her before what is her secret why she is still strong....? She answer me more vegetables you eat you leave longer with the help of exercise... my grand mother have a 20/50 vision can walk 1 km without any help... and she is not yet tired!!!
Purp likes this.

http://allstopsnoringaids.com

lynchalbert is offline  
#4000 Old 04-23-2012, 01:56 PM
Newbie
 
Avid92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 72
One of my roommate claims that vegetarianism is absolutely ridiculous because you can eat healthily while eating meat. Which, to an extent I agree with her. However, I believe that if you want to be as healthy as possible you should severely limit your intake of animal/animal products to maybe 1 to 2 times a month. Does she do this? No. She eats biscuits/gravy/fried potatoes every morning for breakfast, and every other meal contains some sort of animal.
I mean, come on now... You are being such a hypocrite, here. You cannot claim that you "don't eat meat very often" and then eat it at every meal. So the concept that vegetarianism is healthier for you than eating meat is not going to enter her head soon.
Also, something that really pissed me off is when discussing her ethics teacher (who is a vegan) and who she does not like (for other reasons than his veganism; I agree, I don't like his "I'm superior than you" attitude) proclaims at lunch that she is going to eat a hamburger in spite of the professor, who had shown animal cruelty videos and pictures, trying to appeal to the class. I glared at her, and left before I could hear anything else she had to say. Otherwise I would have flipped some serious ****. Lol.
Sorry for the ranty post. Just some things that I needed to get off my chest. I feel better.
Avid92 is offline  
#4001 Old 04-23-2012, 03:27 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)
 
LedBoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 8,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avid92 View Post

One of my roommate claims that vegetarianism is absolutely ridiculous because you can eat healthily while eating meat. Which, to an extent I agree with her. However, I believe that if you want to be as healthy as possible you should severely limit your intake of animal/animal products to maybe 1 to 2 times a month. Does she do this? No. She eats biscuits/gravy/fried potatoes every morning for breakfast, and every other meal contains some sort of animal.
I mean, come on now... You are being such a hypocrite, here. You cannot claim that you "don't eat meat very often" and then eat it at every meal. So the concept that vegetarianism is healthier for you than eating meat is not going to enter her head soon.
Also, something that really pissed me off is when discussing her ethics teacher (who is a vegan) and who she does not like (for other reasons than his veganism; I agree, I don't like his "I'm superior than you" attitude) proclaims at lunch that she is going to eat a hamburger in spite of the professor, who had shown animal cruelty videos and pictures, trying to appeal to the class. I glared at her, and left before I could hear anything else she had to say. Otherwise I would have flipped some serious ****. Lol.
Sorry for the ranty post. Just some things that I needed to get off my chest. I feel better.

Avid, that is annoying! Maybe you could challenge her to a food diary comparison. Each of you writes down everything you eat for one week, and then compare. Then enter them into one of those interwebz thingies that track nutrition and see whose diet is better. Bet you win!
LedBoots is offline  
#4002 Old 04-23-2012, 03:43 PM
Arrrg! Me mateys.
 
Puppet Master's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 5,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by GardenGobbler View Post

I am a vegetarian in Houston, Texas.... if that tells you anything. BBQ and Mexican food..... everywhere.

I am very happy that when I went to Texas to visit family (near San Antonio), it was joked that, "You're a vegetarian and you came here to Texas?!?!" but no one was jerks about it. Not to my face, anyway. They were all pretty helpful.
Reading through this thread really makes me appreciate my family (even though they all drive me crazy!). I've been veg*n for almost 13 years and everyone has been pretty supportive and caring and some like to look for things I might like and whatnot. So, so, so grateful.
Purp likes this.

korrakorrakorrakorrakorra
Puppet Master is offline  
#4003 Old 04-23-2012, 04:14 PM
Newbie
 
Avid92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post

Avid, that is annoying! Maybe you could challenge her to a food diary comparison. Each of you writes down everything you eat for one week, and then compare. Then enter them into one of those interwebz thingies that track nutrition and see whose diet is better. Bet you win!

Haha, yes, this seems like a good idea. I bet she wouldn't do it though. She doesn't like being told she's wrong about something (if you couldn't gather that already). I have tracked my diet on one of those types of websites, and overall I seem pretty good. I usually end up with too much fat, but what can you do when living off of the school meal plan? Everything has too much fat in it. Haha. However, I have gained ~10 pounds (now weigh 125 lbs) which I feel better at. I'm a 19 yo female, who is 5' 4'' So overall, I feel much healthier than I did when I was eating a lot of meat.
Also, not trying to be antagonizing of someone based upon their body size, but she is easily ~40 lbs overweight. It's a bit difficult to argue that there is nothing wrong with your diet while weighing more than you "should" for your height/age... I feel like she is in denial about this and many other things. I'm not trying to offend anyone either, so I'm sorry if I do. I have just noticed that her diet may be a factor contributing to her being overweight.
Avid92 is offline  
#4004 Old 04-23-2012, 07:02 PM
Beginner
 
GardenGobbler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppet Master View Post

I am very happy that when I went to Texas to visit family (near San Antonio), it was joked that, "You're a vegetarian and you came here to Texas?!?!" but no one was jerks about it. Not to my face, anyway. They were all pretty helpful.

HAHA that's funny! That's the way it is! Strangers are usually nice to me about it, but it's friends and family who are comfortable enough to say what's on their minds!
Purp likes this.
GardenGobbler is offline  
#4005 Old 04-25-2012, 09:08 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Nooch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Ingerland
Posts: 849
I was recently at a three day conference hosted at C.A.T. in Wales. The food was all veggie and delicious - I was loving having more than just cheesy pasta for once. And the other 200 adults? Many were moaning, constantly, at the lack of meat as if they would shrivel up and die of malnutrition within 36 hours. At one point, a group left to go out and find a meaty meal in town because they couldn't take it any more. Complete addicts. I felt so sorry for the staff who were spending hours preparing made-from-scratch, healthy, tasty and varied food for us, and made sure I thanked them every day (and on one occassion apologised for my colleagues complaints).
Purp likes this.

That awkward moment when your partner walks into the kitchen to find you huddled in the corner with an open container of nooch and a spoon and your mouth encrusted with little flakes...  
Nooch is offline  
#4006 Old 04-25-2012, 10:36 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 10,763
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nooch View Post

I was recently at a three day conference hosted at C.A.T. in Wales. The food was all veggie and delicious - I was loving having more than just cheesy pasta for once. And the other 200 adults? Many were moaning, constantly, at the lack of meat as if they would shrivel up and die of malnutrition within 36 hours. At one point, a group left to go out and find a meaty meal in town because they couldn't take it any more. Complete addicts. I felt so sorry for the staff who were spending hours preparing made-from-scratch, healthy, tasty and varied food for us, and made sure I thanked them every day (and on one occassion apologised for my colleagues complaints).

Central Arkansas Transit is in Wales?
Purp likes this.
soilman is offline  
#4007 Old 04-25-2012, 10:41 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Fromper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Chicago, IL, USA
Posts: 7,014
When I was growing up, C.A.T. stood for California Achievement Test, which ironically was required testing for all students in Florida.

*shrivels up and dies of malnutrition from not eating any meat in the last 5 years*


--Fromper
Purp likes this.
Fromper is offline  
#4008 Old 04-25-2012, 11:22 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Nooch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Ingerland
Posts: 849
CAT is the Center of Alternative Technologies. A really inspiring place if anyone is ever near Machynlleth!
Purp likes this.

That awkward moment when your partner walks into the kitchen to find you huddled in the corner with an open container of nooch and a spoon and your mouth encrusted with little flakes...  
Nooch is offline  
#4009 Old 04-25-2012, 03:42 PM
Newbie
 
GardenGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 12
I was eating a PB&J sandwich in the cafeteria at my highschool when my friends (who are omnis) came down to sit with me as they usually do. My one friend had bought a school lunch on that day, which consisted of a delightful, overly-processed chicken burger and some equally offensive instant mashed potatoes with a suspicious topping of "gravy" XP. I didn't say anything, though I did frown slighty, and she picked up on this so we eventually got into a conversation about my vegetarianism.

Me: "I'm a vegetarian because, not only am I against animals being killed, but the process in which they butcher them is very violent and cruel."
Her: "The videos they show you on T.V. are only of the worst facilities. There are some very ethical butchers out there."

Uhhh, that doesn't matter. No matter how nicely butchers go about doing their job, it still ends up with the animal dying. And I don't think there's any such thing as a pleasant death anyway. Of course I dropped the conversation, though I was very tempted to say something like that out loud XD

"Common sense is not so common."
GardenGirl is offline  
#4010 Old 04-25-2012, 03:47 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)
 
LedBoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 8,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nooch View Post

I was recently at a three day conference hosted at C.A.T. in Wales. The food was all veggie and delicious - I was loving having more than just cheesy pasta for once. And the other 200 adults? Many were moaning, constantly, at the lack of meat as if they would shrivel up and die of malnutrition within 36 hours. At one point, a group left to go out and find a meaty meal in town because they couldn't take it any more. Complete addicts. I felt so sorry for the staff who were spending hours preparing made-from-scratch, healthy, tasty and varied food for us, and made sure I thanked them every day (and on one occassion apologised for my colleagues complaints).

What a great place, serving vegetarian food! I hope this kind of thing becomes more widespread.
LedBoots is offline  
#4011 Old 04-25-2012, 06:08 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Spoonerism's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by GardenGirl View Post

Me: "I'm a vegetarian because, not only am I against animals being killed, but the process in which they butcher them is very violent and cruel."
Her: "The videos they show you on T.V. are only of the worst facilities. There are some very ethical butchers out there."

You just gotta love these sorts of comments. Ethical butchering?

"I am a woman of science. At least that's what my horoscope said."
Spoonerism is offline  
#4012 Old 04-25-2012, 08:06 PM
...
 
Blobbenstein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: UK
Posts: 3,936
yea, the food at the Center of Alternative Technologies was great when I went in the 80s or maybe it was the 90s. But I ate egg and cheese then.

Blobbenstein is offline  
#4013 Old 04-25-2012, 10:17 PM
Super Moderator
 
Werewolf Girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 16,664
Found a couple that made my eyes roll so hard they almost got stuck that way.

Quote:
What's the difference, you're going to slaughter them either way.
Do you think they know the difference?
Does broccoli have a soul?

Quote:
I don't care where it comes from as long as it tastes good. I don't want to pay more money for "humane" treatment of animals because I don't care about animals. They are just food, stuff them in a box if it saves me money I don't care.

*sigh*

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
Werewolf Girl is offline  
#4014 Old 04-26-2012, 12:38 PM
Newbie
 
GardenGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 12
There was another instance at lunch today that I thought was notable XP My friend offered me some gummy bears, which I politely refused on the account that they contain gelatin.

Me: Gelatin is made from the boiled bones and cartilage of animals, so I don't eat it.
Her: That's not true! They made it from hoof clippings, so they don't kill the animals!

Uh, no XP

"Common sense is not so common."
GardenGirl is offline  
#4015 Old 04-26-2012, 12:39 PM
Super Moderator
 
danakscully64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 34,591
Either way
danakscully64 is offline  
#4016 Old 04-26-2012, 01:43 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Bekka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: England
Posts: 205
...Why would someone want to eat hoof clippings anyway?
Bekka is offline  
#4017 Old 04-26-2012, 04:08 PM
Newbie
 
GardenGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 12
Has anyone here ever seen any apparel sporting something along the lines of; Vegetarian: an old indian word for bad hunter; or Vegetarian: Another name for the village idiot who is too stupid to hunt? It might just be a Michigan thing (yes, I'm unfortunate enough to live in a state dominated by hunters The climate it wonderful, though), but I've been seeing these things everywhere and it's somewhat aggrivating.

http://www.spreadshirt.com/vegetaria...-C3376A9292111
Purp likes this.

"Common sense is not so common."
GardenGirl is offline  
#4018 Old 04-26-2012, 05:35 PM
Veggie Regular
 
vegkid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: In the depths of N'Kai
Posts: 3,910
Quote:
Originally Posted by GardenGirl View Post

Has anyone here ever seen any apparel sporting something along the lines of; Vegetarian: an old indian word for bad hunter; or Vegetarian: Another name for the village idiot who is too stupid to hunt? It might just be a Michigan thing (yes, I'm unfortunate enough to live in a state dominated by hunters The climate it wonderful, though), but I've been seeing these things everywhere and it's somewhat aggrivating.

http://www.spreadshirt.com/vegetaria...-C3376A9292111

This all the time.

I always feel like going, "Actually, no, what I believe you're referring to is the Native American people. Indians live in India. The reason Native Americans are called Indians by so many people is that Christopher Columbus thought he was in India when he first arrived in the Americas. And it's not an old Indian word, in either of the contexts. It was created by the Vegetarian Society in 1847, though the diet was around far before then."

I can type that just fine but what I'd probably end up saying would be more like "Uh, Indians, Columbus... 1847. Dumbarse you go away now."
Purp likes this.

Enjoying the view over at http://forum.veggieviews.com/

vegkid is offline  
#4019 Old 04-26-2012, 05:49 PM
Veggie Regular
 
krispex22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Pa, usa
Posts: 961
Also indians only killed what they needed to live. Im pretty sure hunting wasnt a sport back than and millions of animals disnt get wasted just because someone thought it wod be fun to shoot them. And animal parts did t get thrown away. They used everything. So i think maybe hunter might be indian word for selfish heartless person. And actually im sure there definition of hunter wod be alot different than hunting now for sport
Purp likes this.
krispex22 is offline  
#4020 Old 04-27-2012, 07:37 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 10,763
Quote:
Originally Posted by krispex22 View Post

Also indians only killed what they needed to live. Im pretty sure hunting wasnt a sport back than and millions of animals disnt get wasted just because someone thought it wod be fun to shoot them. And animal parts did t get thrown away. They used everything. So i think maybe hunter might be indian word for selfish heartless person. And actually im sure there definition of hunter wod be alot different than hunting now for sport

Actually, different tribes had distinctly different diets. Regional groups had distinctly different language-culture. One tribe was no more like another tribe, than Australia is like Russia. Or Tahiti is like Nigeria. The difference was often even greater.

Most likely most tribes had only 2 names for people, one meaning humans in general, and the other meaning their own tribe. They did not likely have a word to distinguish all north american continent humans, as a single group, distinguish them from people from anywhere else. Only when Europeans arrived, did they start using words to distinguish Europeans from N. american people.

Eastern Algonquin tribes subsisted largely on the agricultural "three sisters" corn, squash-pumpkin type stuff, and beans. Most of the animal food they ate was gathered, for example shore tribes gathered clams, mussels, etcetera. They also ate small animals, such as rabbit, rather than larger animals, despite the fact that deer were plentyful. I'm not sure if the small animals were hunted, or trapped. They also gathered a lot of plant food, such as roots, berries, pine nuts. Some tribes gathered acorns, which were quite plentiful in eastern forests, and made a kind of flour from them by boiling them a long time and discarding the water - into which most of the tannic acid and other unpleasant stuff went, leaving mostly just starch and few micronutrients. When I say corn, I mean like samp, and tortilla-like things. Samp is naturally dehydrated corn kernals that are rehydrated, then cooked.

Some tribes in the western plains, hunted large bovines, such as buffalo. This may have made up a large part of their diet but they also ate plant matter. I know more about the Eastern tribes, where I live, than the western tribes. Northern tribes, in perma-frost areas, ate mostly large fatty mammals, and fish. Very little plant matter, although they may have gathered herbs in the warm season.
soilman is offline  
Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off