Stupid Things Omnivores Say, Version 5.0 - Page 130 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 265Likes
Closed Thread

#3871 Old 03-31-2012, 04:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blobbenstein View Post

I think the idea of evolution might make some people feel like orphans; that they weren't created by God.....it takes a bit of adjusting to realise that it makes no difference if God breathed life into some mud, or that the whole Universe is part of God, and so evolving in it is sort of the same as being created directly by him.

Or God could have breathed life into the mud and the mud turned into single-celled organisms and those evolved from there. The Bible never specifies exactly how long it took to create Adam and Eve. It would seem more epic as a whole to me if the process of creating Earth/Eden/all of that took billion of years rather than just SNAP, done. Makes God seem more like a wholesome concept and less like a magician in the sky.

Enjoying the view over at http://forum.veggieviews.com/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#3872 Old 03-31-2012, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegkid View Post

Or God could have breathed life into the mud and the mud turned into single-celled organisms and those evolved from there. The Bible never specifies exactly how long it took to create Adam and Eve. It would seem more epic as a whole to me if the process of creating Earth/Eden/all of that took billion of years rather than just SNAP, done. Makes God seem more like a wholesome concept and less like a magician in the sky.

yes, I've wondered about that being the start of life on this planet, but I feel that the whole of the Universe is an expression of God's mind/personality....like the way the continents are shaped has meaning...like was it deliberate that Britain existed in the way it did.? Would the allies have won the second world war if Britain hadn't been there, to be a base of the US, to be able to launch the invasion of Europe?

However the first cells came into being, I think it was the expression of God's creativity, even if it was a scientifically explorable process of the way matter self organises.

#3873 Old 03-31-2012, 04:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blobbenstein View Post

yes, I've wondered about that being the start of life on this planet, but I feel that the whole of the Universe is an expression of God's mind/personality....like the way the continents are shaped has meaning...like was it deliberate that Britain existed in the way it did.? Would the allies have won the second world war if Britain hadn't been there, to be a base of the US, to be able to launch the invasion of Europe?

However the first cells came into being, I think it was the expression of God's creativity, even if it was a scientifically explorable process of the way matter self organises.

I don't believe in a God, but if there was one, I think that's how it would work.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#3874 Old 03-31-2012, 06:03 PM
Veggie Regular

I've never believed in God, but when I was younger and my parents forced me to go to sunday school, we actually had some pretty cool teachers. while the majority of parents didn't really approve, they taught that God's "days" weren't the same as ours (due to him being eternal, apparently time runs differently or something), and so the "day" that it took him to create the sun could very well have been a billion years or so. it was teachers like that that kept me going back even after I swore off the actual church sermons.

Wake up your generation! Wake up and save the nation! Wake up determination! I am afraid we're going down, Afraid we're going down in flames...
#3875 Old 03-31-2012, 06:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel Bonneau View Post

I've never believed in God, but when I was younger and my parents forced me to go to sunday school, we actually had some pretty cool teachers. while the majority of parents didn't really approve, they taught that God's "days" weren't the same as ours (due to him being eternal, apparently time runs differently or something), and so the "day" that it took him to create the sun could very well have been a billion years or so. it was teachers like that that kept me going back even after I swore off the actual church sermons.

It seems like this is the attitude more and more often now. Yay for progression!

#3876 Old 04-02-2012, 08:30 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel Bonneau View Post

Yeah, growing up Jewish, I got a similar explanation in Hebrew School. If I was still religious, I would agree with that.

--Fromper
#3877 Old 04-02-2012, 08:35 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

That's a good idea actually-I hadn't thought of that. That makes it more believable.
#3878 Old 04-02-2012, 04:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bekka View Post

That's a good idea actually-I hadn't thought of that. That makes it more believable.

Certainly more believable than things happening in seven literal days and then all the fossils of the dead things that existed just being irrelevant for whatever reason.

Whenever I hear someone say "God placed dinosaur fossils to test our faith" or "Fossils are an act of Satan to lure us away from God" I want to punch them in the face. EVIDENCE IS EVIDENCE. Fossils have been recorded ALL THROUGH HISTORY before they even claim that Satan existed.

That actually reminds me. I had a bus driver when I was in Kindergarten who overheard me talking about fossils. She immediately told me no, that's not true, God made humans and there were not dinosaurs. I asked her why there were fossils on the Discovery Channel and she told me that the Discovery Channel was making it up. I asked her where she thought people came from, and she said that Evolution was a lie. I said that humans evolved from monkeys. She told me that no, humans were created by God as humans and not monkeys and I was wrong because I was five years old and obviously didn't know what I was talking about. Obviously I knew she was a total crackpot and reported this to my mother, who laughed and told me to ask her, why wasn't it possible that God created monkeys which then evolved into humans? So I asked her this the next day and she said no, if God created monkeys which then evolved into humans why were there still monkeys? I told her that some of the monkeys might have stayed monkeys or turned into different monkeys and she gave me the you're five look and that was the end of that discussion. This was the same bus driver who told my mother that I was going to end up as a serial killer because I got into a fight with this girl on the bus and we started drawing pictures of each other as stick figures shooting each other with guns or sword fighting.

#3879 Old 04-03-2012, 01:31 AM
Veggie Regular

The most believable reason in my religion and life lessons was that the "days" described were much longer than a day, which is actually a pretty good argument from what I know of it because apparently everything evolved in the same order as it was described as being created in the Bible. So, according to this genesis could be describing evolution. I still don't really know what to make of it all but this reason, plus the one you mentioned seem to make sense.
#3880 Old 04-03-2012, 01:35 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:

Certainly more believable than things happening in seven literal days and then all the fossils of the dead things that existed just being irrelevant for whatever reason.

Whenever I hear someone say "God placed dinosaur fossils to test our faith" or "Fossils are an act of Satan to lure us away from God" I want to punch them in the face. EVIDENCE IS EVIDENCE. Fossils have been recorded ALL THROUGH HISTORY before they even claim that Satan existed.

That actually reminds me. I had a bus driver when I was in Kindergarten who overheard me talking about fossils. She immediately told me no, that's not true, God made humans and there were not dinosaurs. I asked her why there were fossils on the Discovery Channel and she told me that the Discovery Channel was making it up. I asked her where she thought people came from, and she said that Evolution was a lie. I said that humans evolved from monkeys. She told me that no, humans were created by God as humans and not monkeys and I was wrong because I was five years old and obviously didn't know what I was talking about. Obviously I knew she was a total crackpot and reported this to my mother, who laughed and told me to ask her, why wasn't it possible that God created monkeys which then evolved into humans? So I asked her this the next day and she said no, if God created monkeys which then evolved into humans why were there still monkeys? I told her that some of the monkeys might have stayed monkeys or turned into different monkeys and she gave me the you're five look and that was the end of that discussion. This was the same bus driver who told my mother that I was going to end up as a serial killer because I got into a fight with this girl on the bus and we started drawing pictures of each other as stick figures shooting each other with guns or sword fighting.

That's an awesome story, you at 5 sounded a lot like me at 7 when they were trying to teach us about the bible in Catechism.

I bet we would have been buddies
Purp likes this.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#3881 Old 04-03-2012, 04:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bekka View Post

The most believable reason in my religion and life lessons was that the "days" described were much longer than a day, which is actually a pretty good argument from what I know of it because apparently everything evolved in the same order as it was described as being created in the Bible. So, according to this genesis could be describing evolution. I still don't really know what to make of it all but this reason, plus the one you mentioned seem to make sense.

I guess one should just believe whatever they want to believe and try to reconcile it how they wish.

And also I haven't thought about the order things were created, I'll go read some Bible and do a little analysis now. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

That's an awesome story, you at 5 sounded a lot like me at 7 when they were trying to teach us about the bible in Catechism.

I bet we would have been buddies

Heh, probably.

I also remember getting in trouble with my Kindergarten teacher because she was teaching us about shapes. She had this poster up and proceeded to claim that a rectangle was a type of square. I raised my hand and said no, a square is a type of rectangle but not all rectangles are squares because not all of them have equal sides. She got incredibly angry and called my mother in for a parent-teacher conference, and said that while I was "technically right" I was still "being disrespectful to a teacher" and that if I "didn't learn how to be respectful" I would "never get anywhere in life". It's not like I said "Hey, stupid teacher, you're wrong and you suck!" I thought I pointed it out respectfully enough. I was a bit of a smartass, though, so I guess I might have been a little snotty.

#3882 Old 04-03-2012, 04:42 PM
Veggie Regular

I walked into the vitamin store today and i overheard a conversation between an emplyee and a customer
Employee: i dont know if you know this but america is one of the biggest meat eaters in the world
Customer: yea i LOVE my meat. I dont eat a meal with out meat
Me: ugh
#3883 Old 04-03-2012, 06:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Omnivore: "If meat is unhealthy then why is it tasty?"
Me: "Apparently smoking feels good to many people but it's bad for their health."
Omnivore: "Smoking is different."
Me: "But it's something people enjoy to do and yet it's bad for their health. Just like meat."
Omnivore: "......."
Purp likes this.
#3884 Old 04-03-2012, 06:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHRchannel View Post

Me: "Apparently smoking feels good to many people but it's bad for their health."
Omnivore: "Smoking is different."
Me: "But it's something people enjoy to do and yet it's bad for their health. Just like meat."
Omnivore: "......."

My father doesnt think smoking is bad so that would be an invalid argument with him
#3885 Old 04-03-2012, 06:46 PM
Veggie Regular

As we all know, eating chips and cake is a must for those seeking good health
#3886 Old 04-03-2012, 11:43 PM

Tonight, I happened to tell a fellow worker that I'm vegan. He said, "You don't eat any meat?" I told him, "No, I've made a commitment to be vegan." He asked me a few more inane questions before getting back to work. Later on, he announced to the entire crew that I don't like to eat *any* type of meat...and made ridiculous sexual comments about my distaste for "meat" for the rest of the night.

Class act, that one.
#3887 Old 04-04-2012, 01:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedgreen View Post

Tonight, I happened to tell a fellow worker that I'm vegan. He said, "You don't eat any meat?" I told him, "No, I've made a commitment to be vegan." He asked me a few more inane questions before getting back to work. Later on, he announced to the entire crew that I don't like to eat *any* type of meat...and made ridiculous sexual comments about my distaste for "meat" for the rest of the night.

Class act, that one.

You shoulve just said you were a lesbian and whats it to you.
Its nobodys buisness what you eat and why do they care so much anyways. If yor not going around judging people for what they eat or dont eat than they shouldn be saying anythin to you. That is so annoying. Im sure you dont yell at people and announce that they dont like vegetables
Purp likes this.
#3888 Old 04-04-2012, 02:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHRchannel View Post

Is meat all that tasty? Or are the popular meat dishes that people enjoy, tasty, primarily because of the plant-origin herbs and spices that are part of the dish? Think of a ripe pear, or mango, right off the tree. Or a berry off the vine. Or a red pepper, or garlic, and onions. The think of a hunk of flesh right off of a chicken. Which is tastier? The chicken only becomes tasty when you add the garlic, the peppers, the herbs, the salt, etc, perhaps even the breading, made from grain and yeast. Or even fruits, which are commonly added to barbecue sauce. All plant materials. It is all the plant matter that makes the very bland proteins and fats in the chicken, palatable. Similarly, the same plant materials can be used to make grains, and legumes, along with the oil from oil seeds, into similar tasting food to the meat dishes you eat.
Purp likes this.
#3889 Old 04-04-2012, 02:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by soilman View Post

Is meat all that tasty? Or are the popular meat dishes that people enjoy, tasty, primarily because of the plant-origin herbs and spices that are part of the dish? Think of a ripe pear, or mango, right off the tree. Or a berry off the vine. Or a red pepper, or garlic, and onions. The think of a hunk of flesh right off of a chicken. Which is tastier? The chicken only becomes tasty when you add the garlic, the peppers, the herbs, the salt, etc, perhaps even the breading, made from grain and yeast. All plant materials. It is all the plant matter that makes the very bland proteins and fats in the chicken, palatable. Similarly, the same plant materials can be used to make grains, and legumes, along with the oil from oil seeds, into similar tasting food to the meat dishes you eat.

Some kinds of meat can, and will be eaten without many additional flavorings though.

Chicken is quite bland after all.

"Hell exists not to punish sinners, but to ensure that nobody sins in the first place."
#3890 Old 04-05-2012, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krispex22 View Post

You shoulve just said you were a lesbian and whats it to you.
Its nobodys buisness what you eat and why do they care so much anyways. If yor not going around judging people for what they eat or dont eat than they shouldn be saying anythin to you. That is so annoying. Im sure you dont yell at people and announce that they dont like vegetables

Lol, well you would have been half-right (I'm bi).
Purp likes this.
#3891 Old 04-05-2012, 06:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedgreen View Post

Lol, well you would have been half-right (I'm bi).

He doesn't need to know about the male half of the attraction, though.
Purp likes this.

#3892 Old 04-07-2012, 12:04 PM

My mom asked me if I would be open to trying human breastmilk and baking cookies and cheese out of it since I don't have dairy anymore.
That was probably the stupidest thing anyone has said to me so far.
Purp likes this.
#3893 Old 04-07-2012, 05:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosaOi805 View Post

My mom asked me if I would be open to trying human breastmilk and baking cookies and cheese out of it since I don't have dairy anymore.
That was probably the stupidest thing anyone has said to me so far.

Wow!! I have to agree that is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard.
Purp likes this.
#3894 Old 04-07-2012, 07:58 PM
Veggie Regular

I still get things like "Do you eat potatoes?" a lot.

I can't wrap my head around the idea that I wouldn't eat potatoes. I'm not on some weird diet. I just don't eat dead animals.
Purp likes this.

Tam! RUGH!
#3895 Old 04-07-2012, 08:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh James xVx View Post

I can't wrap my head around the idea that I wouldn't eat potatoes. I'm not on some weird diet. I just don't eat dead animals.

I guess people are so used to us saying "no, I can't have that, it has *insert obscure animal product here* in it" so they just assume that various things might have animals in them. Like, "oh no! How dare you suggest I eat potatoes! They are processed using gelatinized pig gallbladders!"

#3896 Old 04-07-2012, 10:58 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh James xVx View Post

"No, I don't eat anything that comes from a cow."
#3897 Old 04-07-2012, 11:12 PM
Veggie Regular

My grandma was criticizing me for not eating turkey earlier
And this isn't even a new thing or anything.

DON'T BRING MY MOTHER INTO THIS!
#3898 Old 04-08-2012, 08:18 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

"No, I don't eat anything that comes from a cow."

Potatoes are cow eggs. If left alone long enough, they will hatch into a baby cow. Which, if cared for properly, will sprout into a cow tree and produce plastic-wrapped packets of bacon.

Because that is how it works.
Purp likes this.

#3899 Old 04-08-2012, 08:29 AM
Banned

Quote:

I guess people are so used to us saying "no, I can't have that, it has *insert obscure animal product here* in it" so they just assume that various things might have animals in them. Like, "oh no! How dare you suggest I eat potatoes! They are processed using gelatinized pig gallbladders!"

I am careful to make sure people understand that I choose not to eat non-vegan foods, and junk food, rather than have them think that I am registered in some program that dictates to me what I can or can not have. Thus, if offered something that is not vegan (or that I don't want for some other reason) I am careful to say something closer to "no thank you, I don't wish to have that," rather than "no thank you, I cannot have that; am not allowed to have that; don't eat that" etcetera. Unless it is something that I clearly have a bad reaction to, and really cannot eat without pain or discomfort. For example I break out in a mild rash and have loose, smelly stools if I eat more than a small portion of cashews, so I limit my cashew consumption to 2 or 3 of the nuts, and say "I can't eat those; I'm allergic." But in re to a glass of milk I say, no thank you. And in regard to a glass of beer - junk food - "no thank you, I don't eat yeast-infected, decomposing, rotting grains." Although I like hops and will drink an ounce of so of beer because I enjoy the flavor of hops tea.
#3900 Old 04-08-2012, 08:39 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by soilman View Post

I am careful to make sure people understand that I choose not to eat non-vegan foods, and junk food, rather than have them think that I am registered in some program that dictates to me what I can or can not have. Thus, if offered something that is not vegan (or that I don't want for some other reason) I am careful to say something closer to "no thank you, I don't wish to have that," rather than "no thank you, I cannot have that; am not allowed to have that; don't eat that" etcetera. Unless it is something that I clearly have a bad reaction to, and really cannot eat without pain or discomfort. For example I break out in a mild rash and have loose, smelly stools if I eat more than a small portion of cashews, so I limit my cashew consumption to 2 or 3 of the nuts, and say "I can't eat those; I'm allergic." But in re to a glass of milk I say, no thank you. And in regard to a glass of beer - no thank you, I don't eat yeast-infected, decomposing, rotting grains. Although I like hops and will drink an ounce of so of beer because I enjoy the flavor of hops tea.

I think you've said that before, and I understand where you're coming from, but it always just seems like overcomplication to me. Most people don't think like that. People with Celiac disease can't have wheat gluten. Lactose intolerant people can't have milk. Of course, these people can have these things if they wanted to, but they live a lifestyle where they adhere to the guidelines of not consuming these things. Whatever reason it may be. In those cases, it's due to an allergy; moral beliefs are another reason for abstaining from these foods. So in order to avoid sounding like a snob, I say "I can't have X because I'm a vegan" and then if they go further into it, I'll explain that I could have it, but choose not to due to my beliefs.
Purp likes this.

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page