Daiya vs. dairy cheese - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 22Likes

#1 Old 10-27-2010, 02:36 PM

So, I'm really upset. I was talking to my mom about Daiya and how I was really happy about it and that it was also a healthier option. She didn't agree with me and the conversation got a little heated. So, later she called me and said she was looking at a bag of shredded mozzarella and she wanted to compare the nutrition facts. Other than less saturated fat and no cholesterol, Daiya actually is worse nutritionally! It has more calories, fat, sodium, and less protein. So, now I feel so stupid. Obviously, from an animal rights point of view, Daiya is a better option. But still, I also felt better about Daiya when I originally thought it was healthier. Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-27-2010, 02:51 PM
Super Moderator

I don't think Daiya has a responsibility to be healthier than dairy cheese, it's a delicious alternative that's meant as an occasional treat. As long as you don't eat a ton of it it's a great cruelty free way to have a slice of pizza.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#3 Old 10-27-2010, 03:38 PM

I agree with you, however, right on their package it says "a healthier alternative." Now, I know anyone can say anything about their product, but I just feel slightly taken advantage of by the company.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-27-2010, 03:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Did she compare the orange colored cheeses too?
Did she compare pure dairy cheese or another cheese-like product?

Btw, saturated fat and cholesterol are a big deal!
Cheese shouldn't be anyones main source of protein, it's too fatty.
Any kind of cheese, dairy or non, should fall into the "rarely eaten" category.
echolove and pickmemealgurl like this.
#5 Old 10-27-2010, 03:43 PM
Banned

Well, at least it's healthier for my mind because animals weren't abused or killed for me to eat it . Seriously, though, I use it as a treat. Today, for instance, I had some melted on a black bean burger.
peapicker and Ashlization85 like this.
#6 Old 10-27-2010, 04:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Well since it doesn't contain pus, blood, hormones found in dairy cheese I consider it much more healthy!
#7 Old 10-27-2010, 04:09 PM
Veggie Regular

I think it's a healthier option for the non-human animals.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#8 Old 10-27-2010, 04:28 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

Well since it doesn't contain pus, blood, hormones found in dairy cheese I consider it much more healthy!

Very true! Also, while Daiya may not be healthier in terms of calories and fat content (although lower saturated fat and no cholesterol is certainly not nothing) it doesn't have the myriad of health problems associated with it that dairy cheese does. Countries with the highest rates of osteoporosis, such as the United States, England, and Sweden, consume the most milk. Dairy consumption has also been linked to several forms of cancer and heart disease.

Daiya might still be fatty and salty but as long as you eat it in moderation I think you could still argue it's healthier than dairy cheese.
echolove likes this.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#9 Old 10-27-2010, 04:37 PM
Super Moderator

I think the healthiest aspect of Daiya is that I doubt anyone eats it as often as they did cheese! I could eat cheese everyday, but while I'm happy daiya's around for the occassional replacement, I'd never be tempted to eat it often.
The last time I lapsed into eating cheese my bronchial tubes got so clogged with mucus, I was quite embarrased by how I needed to cough to clear it up. That isn't healthy.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#10 Old 10-27-2010, 04:45 PM
Veggie Regular

I think Daiya is better. At least it's not made from the milk that was really meant for a baby cow.

8/3/2010 is the last time I consumed meat.
8/4/2010 is when I became a full blown Vegetarian and I couldn't be more proud.
#11 Old 10-27-2010, 04:50 PM
Contributing Member

It also has no transfat, no allergens and no hormones or antibiotics.
Jasminedesi16 and veggie man like this.

‎"One meal, soon forgotten, in exchange for a whole life." Author Unknown
"Fur is worn by beautiful animals and ugly people"

#12 Old 10-27-2010, 06:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post

I think the healthiest aspect of Daiya is that I doubt anyone eats it as often as they did cheese.

Especially since its way more expensive!
#13 Old 10-27-2010, 06:12 PM
Veggie Regular

My main reason for not eating cheese, as said by a local farmer is, "Its a fact that dairy makes meat."

Vegans aren't necessarily vegan for health reasons - otherwise why would they avoid beeswax, wool, and leather? There is a huge amount of unhealthy vegan items out there. Also cholesterol and saturated fat are biggies, especially with cardiovascular disease being the number 1 killer in the US. I'd rather have something with more calories and less saturated fat/cholesterol. Was the shredded mozz. low-fat or something? Most cheeses are extremely unhealthy unless they are very low fat or something. I don't think any cheese (fake or real) was made to be healthy. :P

Pinterest: AquaLoveBird
#14 Old 10-27-2010, 06:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Are you really squabbling over a 30 calorie per cup difference?

I think lower saturated fat and lower cholesterol are healthier in that respect. Cheese shouldn't be depended on as a source of protein BECAUSE it's so high in saturated fat and cholesterol. Daiya is basically a flavoring sort of thing for other foods. I don't consider it a cornerstone of a nutritious diet (nor should cheese be).

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#15 Old 10-27-2010, 07:33 PM

I eat both and not really for the healt aspect of it.....I am usually eating it with pizza and pasta and not thinking of calories....LOL....but I didnt even notice that the daiya cheese was healthier....I may need to check that out....but probs not gonna change anything since I am a veggie and not vegan and eat dairy.

LIve, Laugh, LOve and Be Hippie
#16 Old 10-27-2010, 07:33 PM
nal

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

Especially since its way more expensive!

Exactly.
#17 Old 10-27-2010, 07:33 PM
Veggie Regular

It has no dairy, that automatically makes it healthier. Dairy isn't good for you. Plus it's soy free, and gluten free so people with those three allergies can almost surely consume it.

“May all sentient beings be free of pain and suffering.  May all sentient beings experience eternal joy and happiness.  gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.”
http://www.facebook.com/doktormartini
http://twitter.com/#!/MartyBaureis
http://doktormartini.tumblr.com

#18 Old 10-28-2010, 01:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by eutoria26 View Post

So, I'm really upset. I was talking to my mom about Daiya and how I was really happy about it and that it was also a healthier option. She didn't agree with me and the conversation got a little heated. So, later she called me and said she was looking at a bag of shredded mozzarella and she wanted to compare the nutrition facts. Other than less saturated fat and no cholesterol, Daiya actually is worse nutritionally! It has more calories, fat, sodium, and less protein. So, now I feel so stupid. Obviously, from an animal rights point of view, Daiya is a better option. But still, I also felt better about Daiya when I originally thought it was healthier. Any thoughts?

Mozzarella is typically lower in fat than most other cow cheeses, so this will make the protein content seem significant, when it's really not. Daiya may be higher in fat, but some of it is coconut fat, and coconut fat has been shown to have many health benefits that animal fats do not. Even if coconut fat were totally benign, it'd still be a better choice than animal fats, which have been shown to be detrimental to human health. Not to mention detrimental to the animals whose bodies they are extracted from. I don't suppose your mom cares too much about that though.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#19 Old 10-28-2010, 02:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0ad View Post

My main reason for not eating cheese, as said by a local farmer is, "Its a fact that dairy makes meat."

Vegans aren't necessarily vegan for health reasons - otherwise why would they avoid beeswax, wool, and leather? There is a huge amount of unhealthy vegan items out there. Also cholesterol and saturated fat are biggies, especially with cardiovascular disease being the number 1 killer in the US. I'd rather have something with more calories and less saturated fat/cholesterol. Was the shredded mozz. low-fat or something? Most cheeses are extremely unhealthy unless they are very low fat or something. I don't think any cheese (fake or real) was made to be healthy. :P

The vegans I know IRL (as well as the authors of a few vegan blogs I follow) are Vegan for health reasons. Initially that was my main incentive for being interested in veganism. Upon researching it, I learned about the environmental impacts that raising animals for food has, the chemicals, hormones & pesticides used in factory farming, the mistreatment of animals, the slaughter and the similarities between humans and animals that are herbivores - all of which played a role in my decision. But I'd be lying if I didn't say that health wasn't a factor. It was a major one. The links between consuming animals and their by-products and cancer, heart disease etc. I know that isn't the case for most VB members but not everyone goes veg solely for the animals.

-Kari, Minnesota mommy, wife and vegetarian. treatyourbodyright.blogspot.com
#20 Old 10-28-2010, 02:23 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElaineV View Post

Btw, saturated fat and cholesterol are a big deal!
Cheese shouldn't be anyones main source of protein, it's too fatty.
Any kind of cheese, dairy or non, should fall into the "rarely eaten" category.

This ^^^ Plus, the lack of hormones and antibiotics makes it healthier as well.

I'm comparing Kirkland Part Skim Mozzarella with Daiya and the calorie count is the exact same (90 calories). Real cheese has almost double the saturated fat (which is bad for you when it's from an animal source), less unsaturated fats (good for you), the sodium difference is less than 100mg, and cow's cheese has no fiber.
#21 Old 10-28-2010, 02:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kari_lynn222 View Post

The vegans I know IRL (as well as the authors of a few vegan blogs I follow) are Vegan for health reasons.

I would be interested to know their health reasons for avoiding wool, leather, silk and animal-tested cosmetics.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#22 Old 10-28-2010, 05:54 PM

Yeah, my mother couldn't really care less about animal welfare (she tried to convince me to put my dog in the pound to be euthanised when I couldn't find a sitter for him when I needed to go out of town for a few days, besides according to her, he's old and may die soon anyway). So, to me I was really more concerned with convincing her of Daiya's health benefits and to her, calories and fat are the most important things. I agree with most of you all and I appreciate your responses. :-)
#23 Old 10-28-2010, 08:07 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

Yeah, my mother couldn't really care less about animal welfare (she tried to convince me to put my dog in the pound to be euthanised when I couldn't find a sitter for him when I needed to go out of town for a few days, besides according to her, he's old and may die soon anyway). So, to me I was really more concerned with convincing her of Daiya's health benefits and to her, calories and fat are the most important things. I agree with most of you all and I appreciate your responses. :-)

Very sad, she lacks compassion for not just your dog, but for you.
#24 Old 10-29-2010, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

Very sad, she lacks compassion for not just your dog, but for you.

In that situation, yes, most definitely. I just gotta stand up for my mother though, you know? But thanks for your support.
#25 Old 10-29-2010, 07:29 PM
Banned

I've tried other vegan cheeses but not Daiya yet--I'm looking forward to trying it because everyone here says it is the best. I second the opinion that Daiya could make the 100% fat version and would remain the superior cheese because no animals are abused or imprisoned to make it.

Being vegan is the only "diet" human should ever go on from what I can tell so far. I love how you don't have to care about fat or calories: I consume a whole avocado every day, usually a tablespoon of olive oil plus whatever oil is in anything else I eat, plus 7-8 vegan cookies or other junk. Sure, the staple of my diet tends to be brown rice or whole grain pasta, then there's the usual veggies and fruits, but there is room for a great deal of decadence of which I have not deprived myself. Since I've been vegan I have not gained an ounce for it, in fact it seems like turning vegan made me lose about 4-5 pounds that has stayed off. For me 4-5 pounds is a lot because I'm only 5 feet tall. I've been vegan since summer, before that I was ovo-lacto vegetarian for 20 years.
#26 Old 10-29-2010, 07:45 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

In that situation, yes, most definitely. I just gotta stand up for my mother though, you know? But thanks for your support.

I know she's your Mom, that's why I didn't say anything harsh I'm concerned about you, you seem like such a sweetie.
#27 Old 10-30-2010, 09:37 PM
Banned

Tried Daiya cheddar today for the first time . . . it's quite awful. My hubby (also veg*n) agreed and we pitched it.
#28 Old 10-31-2010, 08:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberlysteele View Post

Tried Daiya cheddar today for the first time . . . it's quite awful. My hubby (also veg*n) agreed and we pitched it.

That's dissapointing...I was planning on buying a bag tomorrow and was hoping it would win hubby over.

www.sharksavers.org
#29 Old 10-31-2010, 11:03 PM
Veggie Regular

The theory is that as more people choose to eat dairy replacements the taste will continue to improve and the price will continue to decrease. Let's hope that turns out to be the case!

Tam! RUGH!
#30 Old 11-01-2010, 04:38 AM
Beginner

arrghghghghhhh when is daiya coming to englaaaand

http://dietarypacifism.com/

recipes and thoughts on veganism and religion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page