Food Network gets it. Or not. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-08-2010, 01:34 PM
Riot Nrrrd

Maybe feeling guilty about Meat ans Potatoes? More veg*ns popping up on Food Network shows. No show yet (get with it FN!), and the competition shows are pretty dedicated to using animal products, BUT ... Isa Chandra Moskowitz filmed an interview (not sure where it will end up) and Tim Hogarth of Heavy Metal Vegan Cooking (http://www.heavymetalvegancooking.com/index.html) films a piece tomorrow.

The channel thinks there is enough interest out there to occasionally toss a crumb or two our way. Any ideas how to encourage more?

Dave in MPLS / DISCLAIMER: I am not an actual rooster.
"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 18002738255
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-08-2010, 01:52 PM
Arrrg! Me mateys.

Chef Chloe was the first vegan I've seen on FN, on Cupcake Wars, but I also do not watch FN like I do USA Network, NBC, or Fox (Bones ♥). I think it's great they are at least getting some of us veg*ns in there, and in the case of Chloe, proving stereotypes really wrong.

I think if there were ever to be a veg*n show, on any network, it would be more focused towards and extensively pushing the health and weight loss aspects, because that's what the USoA is obsessed about. Not that there's really anything wrong with that, but the whole picture would be nice. For example, COK is airing a commercial on MTV, Animal Planet, and Comedy Central.

The only thing I can think of, is keep having veg*ns pop up in shows, one by one, and sending positive responses to FN about those episodes (as long as there isn't someone harassing the veg*ns, obviously. That would generate a negative response from me). The more people who acknowledge the veg*ns in there, and the more the word gets out that animals and animal products don't have to be in every meal to be filling and down right delicious, then, only then, will I think there will be a veg*n show.

korrakorrakorrakorrakorra
#3 Old 10-08-2010, 02:09 PM

There's been an effort to have a vegan chef on The Next Food Network Star. Don't know if anyone has gotten call backs though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-08-2010, 06:52 PM

they dont get it....in my never to be humble opinion....I was watching an eppy of Chopped with my Mom and a Vegan Chef was on there and she couldnt and wouldnt taste the food and they Chopped her for that....I mean I wouldnt have been able to cook meat but thats a personal choice...that being said they could have at least tasted it and let her know what they thought...I thought thats what judges do right?....

Peace & LOve
#5 Old 10-08-2010, 09:10 PM
Veggie Regular

I love watching cooking shows but it IS terribly annoying that most of them never even had one single veg dish in it. I still watch for ideas but yikes. Just the other day, my dad even said something about it. "Wow, they really assume that everyone eats meat don't they?"

--Kate
Life is around you and in you.
#6 Old 10-08-2010, 10:02 PM
Riot Nrrrd

What's really annoying is they used to have a vegetarian (vegan actually if I remember) show on in the daytime. I would have to decide between it and old Dark Shadows reruns which were on at the same time (DS won. Apparently gothic romance > cooking show). The show wasn't promoted as anything more than a show about healthy vegetable dishes. Just happened to be animal free. This is probably the approach that makes the most sense. No need to frighten anyone, and omnis are nothing if not skittish.

In the past the Chopped judges have praised contestants who prepared food they themselves were unable to taste. Maybe it is a matter of chooses not to (the vegan) vs could die (the gluten intolerant chef who used a wheat product). Why the kosher chef got a pass on tasting non-kosher food I can't say. Judge fear of divine retribution maybe?

#7 Old 10-08-2010, 10:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Hmm, maybe we need to express how we admire the ancient tradition of Pibopulsus (from piscis "fish", bos "cow", pullus "chicken", sus "pig"), who lives all around this Earth.
#8 Old 10-09-2010, 08:32 AM
Riot Nrrrd

Funny timing - Rachael Ray's 30 Minute Meals show today was a meatless shepard's pie. She even used the words vegan and vegetarian! The pie is not vegetarian (uses worcester sauce) but she did point this out herself (twice) and said to just omit if you want a vegetarian dish. (Although a vegetarian cook would most likely just use vegetarian worcester to preserve the flavor profile of the dish.) Recipe at http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/r...ipe/index.html. Vegans have a little more tweaking to do but nothing too outrageously difficult.

#9 Old 10-10-2010, 12:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbitLuvr View Post

In the end, it's not about the network "getting it" or not, it's about viewership. If shows about meat bring in more viewers than veg*n shows, that is what they will air. If the demographics of this country were skewed towards veg*n instead of omni, they would air more veg*n shows.

Sad but true.

Yep.

~The more you sweat the less you bleed~
***Come gather at our table***
http://ourtable1.blogspot.com/
***The road to Thermopylae***
http://theroadtothermopylae.blogspot.com/2011/09/huge-change-of-plans.html
#10 Old 10-10-2010, 01:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Wondering, is there a v*gan channel somewhere in the glut of channels that are available on extended TV?
#11 Old 10-12-2010, 10:02 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwnielsen View Post

Wondering, is there a v*gan channel somewhere in the glut of channels that are available on extended TV?

Not in any of my 500 channels.
#12 Old 10-12-2010, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in MPLS View Post

Funny timing - Rachael Ray's 30 Minute Meals show today was a meatless shepard's pie. She even used the words vegan and vegetarian! The pie is not vegetarian (uses worcester sauce) but she did point this out herself (twice) and said to just omit if you want a vegetarian dish.

wow. progress just for anyone whos interested, there are some brands of worcestershire sauce that are made without anchovies.
#13 Old 10-12-2010, 05:33 PM
Riot Nrrrd

Yeah, I was surprised she didn't mention vegetarian worcestsher sauce. I don't think it is all that obscure.

This weeks episode of Next Iron Chef featured a challenge to reinterpert an American comfort food classic. Chef Chauhan chose burgers and fries and did a vegetarian patty with okra fries.

#14 Old 10-12-2010, 06:32 PM
Veggie Regular

I watched an episode of 24 Hour Restaurant Battle in which a couple of ladies opened their "healthy eating, vegetarian restaurant" and called it Alive. Guess what the main course was? That's right, the always vegetarian Red Snapper! /sarcasm

What irritated me most about it was they kept throwing out the words "vegetarian" and "vegan", and no one corrected them! Scott Conant was even nice to them! I know it's mean, but I was soooo happy that they lost.

I do not understand/What it is I've done wrong/Full of holes/Check for pulse/Blink your eyes/One for yes/Two for no/I have no idea what I am talking about/I am trapped in this body and can't get out-Radiohead
#15 Old 10-13-2010, 08:10 PM
Riot Nrrrd

Quote:
I watched an episode of 24 Hour Restaurant Battle in which a couple of ladies opened their "healthy eating, vegetarian restaurant" and called it Alive. Guess what the main course was? That's right, the always vegetarian Red Snapper!

They did say the fish was for people 'transitioning' to vegetarian diets but still described the restaurant incorrectly.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page