The smell of meat/poultry/seafood. Anyone else feel disgusted when smelling it? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-02-2010, 03:32 PM
Veggie Regular

My brother was making meat and the smell smells so disgusting I just can't stand it. He also took my salsa cause he figured it wasn't mine since I didn't write my name on it. But I don't know why he'd need it for meat.

8/3/2010 is the last time I consumed meat.
8/4/2010 is when I became a full blown Vegetarian and I couldn't be more proud.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-02-2010, 03:38 PM
Veggie Regular

You've never had salsa with (meat) tacos?

I'm pretty disgusted by the smell of fish nowadays, but other things don't really bother me. I still occasionally smell meat being grilled and find it appetizing (the smell), but I think it has more to do with the smell of charcoal, smoke, etc. than actual cooking flesh.

You're gonna make me puke my pants.
#3 Old 10-02-2010, 03:40 PM
Veggie Regular

He wasn't making tacos. He was making steak or something.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-02-2010, 03:40 PM
Veggie Regular

It was just an example...

#5 Old 10-02-2010, 03:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh okay. I just find the smell so disgusting. And I can still smell it. It's making me unpleasant.

#6 Old 10-02-2010, 03:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer_queen View Post

It's making me unpleasant.

Are you sure it's the smell?

#7 Old 10-02-2010, 03:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Yes. I just found out he was making hamburger helper. He was gonna use the salsa to make it spicy even though you just add ketchup to it.

#8 Old 10-02-2010, 03:51 PM
Beginner

For some reason lamb and pork just smell utterly repulsive to me.

"A good deed done to an animal is like a good deed done to a human being, while an act of cruelty to an animal is as bad as cruelty to a human being."
- Muhammad (PBUH)
#9 Old 10-02-2010, 04:27 PM
Veggie Regular

I've never been able to stand the smell of bacon.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#10 Old 10-02-2010, 05:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Roast beef used to be a favorite food of mine. Nowadays, it kinda smells like poo to me(as it is cooking).

"A-yup. Ya wasted yer life, son"

- Old Man
#11 Old 10-02-2010, 05:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Cooking lamb has always made me have to leave the room. Sometimes the house. It smells like feet.

And I actually gagged walking by the fish counter the other day. Our seafood is usually REALLY fresh and doesn't smell very strong here on Cape Cod, but MAN that stuff was awful.

And I've also noticed that un-spiced or un-marinated chicken or beef cooking can get to me.
#12 Old 10-02-2010, 05:18 PM

The smell doesn't bother me.
The thought of what it is, is a little sad to me but I feel the same way when I view nature and see killing, but it's easier with nature to consider it the cycle of some things.
#13 Old 10-02-2010, 05:31 PM

On second thought, I remember staying with some omni friends for a week this past summer, and their refrigerator had the most digusting smell of salami (it was actually some nachos, etc) and I didn't want to put any food that could absorb that odor in the refrigerator.
Oh that was gross.
#14 Old 10-02-2010, 05:45 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm desensitised to the smell of fish as I worked in a fish and chip shop for several years, so I've just got used to it.

As for other meat, its weird; if the meat is relatively unprocessed (chops, steaks, etc) I retch at the smell, but if it's something overly processed (and worse) like sausages or corned beef, I'm fine. I even *liked* the smell of my housemate's lasagne tonight. Weird.

"If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -Sirius Black
#15 Old 10-02-2010, 06:39 PM
Veggie Regular

If its cooking in the oven I don't mind it but there are some ways I can't stand it.
#16 Old 10-02-2010, 07:23 PM
Veggie Regular

once it's in the oven it doesn't bother me. the smell of cold blood while it's being prepped makes me want to vomit though. eggs, however, make me ill while they're cooking. for the longest time I couldn't be in the kitchen while they were cooking, now I'm dealing with it. (milk smells nasty too - it always smells like it's past the date for me.)

I use salsa with everything, and that included meat when I ate it. and um... I've noticed hamburger helper smells disgusting even without meat added, so I'm not surprised it made you ill. gross.

Wake up your generation! Wake up and save the nation! Wake up determination! I am afraid we're going down, Afraid we're going down in flames...
#17 Old 10-02-2010, 07:53 PM
Veggie Regular

i've always hated the smell of fish. i hold my breath when i walk past the fish area at a grocery store.
#18 Old 10-02-2010, 09:42 PM

Fish doesn't bother me so much, but the smell of cooking red meat makes me physically sick. It never really bothered me all that much until i became pregnant with my son then i discovered something really repugnant about it and now it brings on a really strong physical reaction, to the point of dry wretching. Hideous.

http://zigsnotzags.blogspot.com
#19 Old 10-02-2010, 10:07 PM

initally the smell didnt bother me prolly cuz i always liked meat & gave it up as a result of the suffering involved and not cuz i didnt like it or was worried about my health, but things have changed for me now & the smell of almost all meat makes me feel kinda sick now. i still get a weird nostalgic thing for roasted chicken whenever i smell that tho which makes me feel very guilty.
#20 Old 10-03-2010, 07:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapt View Post

initally the smell didnt bother me prolly cuz i always liked meat & gave it up as a result of the suffering involved and not cuz i didnt like it or was worried about my health, but things have changed for me now & the smell of almost all meat makes me feel kinda sick now. i still get a weird nostalgic thing for roasted chicken whenever i smell that tho which makes me feel very guilty.

My initial response to finding the smell of some meats appetizing was guilt, but it's our actions that matter. I didn't stop eating meat because I didn't enjoy the taste.

#21 Old 10-03-2010, 04:34 PM

yes....I have always been grossed out by it....

peace
#22 Old 10-04-2010, 01:27 AM
Beginner

Used to be quite repulsed by the smell of dead fish, but since Winston the kitten moved in I've had to get a little more used to that.

http://dietarypacifism.com/

recipes and thoughts on veganism and religion
#23 Old 10-04-2010, 02:53 AM
Veggie Regular

Fish or chicken don't bother me really. Any kind of red meat does...especially bacon. Ughhh

Also, I always have to eat meals with my meat-eating family since I moved back here. Yesterday they were eating crackling, which not only sounded disgusting but also the thought of it is pretty sickening. And my mum kept making some comment or other about the gravy not having much meat juice in it becuase not much came out. It makes me so uncomfortable eating my dinner with them talking about stuff like that...

Misanthrope seeks misanthrope.
#24 Old 10-04-2010, 04:10 AM
Veggie Regular

We have a new family moved in in our block of unit and almost everyday they cook up something (usually fish or chicken) and it's so strong that we can smell it in our unit (they live directly below us). It's like the smell invaded our unit. I can even smell it when I go out on the street. Unfortunately for me the family loves to cook fish the most
#25 Old 10-04-2010, 04:24 AM
Veggie Regular

Going to omni BBQ's are the worst for me now. I must've gone a bit quiet at one I was at the other week when the smell got to me because the host asked me if I was alright. I felt like saying yeh, don't mind me I'm just gonna spew on your four burner.

m8itcanw8.com
#26 Old 10-04-2010, 08:34 AM

The smell of most meat cooking doesn't bother me, but ground beef being cooked has to be one of the grossest odors. I usually have to leave the kitchen or I get really nauseated. Seafood is nearly as disgusting to me. Sadly, I'm the only vegetarian in a house full of meat lovers.

Becca

#27 Old 10-04-2010, 08:51 AM
Veggie Regular

Raw meat disgusts me, but cooking meat smells good to me still. *shrug*
#28 Old 10-04-2010, 09:35 AM
Veggie Regular

I went to a seafood restaurant the other night (not my choice), the kind where there's a lobster tank out front (poor lobsters!). At times the smell was overwhelming and I didn't know if I could take it. I used to live at the coast and it didn't bother me but now it's the worst.
#29 Old 10-04-2010, 10:09 AM

Mostly raw meat. I always hold my breath while walking near the meat section of certain supermarkets.
#30 Old 10-04-2010, 02:52 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mental Symphony View Post

The smell of most meat cooking doesn't bother me, but ground beef being cooked has to be one of the grossest odors. I usually have to leave the kitchen or I get really nauseated. Seafood is nearly as disgusting to me. Sadly, I'm the only vegetarian in a house full of meat lovers.

Yes! I don't know what it is, when ground beef is fully cooked I can deal with it well enough but when it's COOKING... ugh! That is the smell of death and decay and congealing blood and rotting muscle tissue. When I was 15 and a fairly new vegetarian I got my first job ever at an A&W... I lasted about 3 shifts. Not only was the smell nauseating but there was so much animal grease on the floor you could skate on it.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page