The smell of meat/poultry/seafood. Anyone else feel disgusted when smelling it? - Page 3 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#61 Old 10-27-2010, 09:06 PM
Veggie Regular

I think because I don't get a whole lot of fat in my diet when I smell fat cooking it makes my mouth water. Not because I want the meat, but because its natural for humans to crave fat. I also like bbq sauce so when I smell it I wan't some sauce
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 Old 10-27-2010, 10:44 PM
Veggie Regular

The smell of aquatic animals is really really repulsive to me. Even when I ate meat I didn't care for the smell of it and I gave up eating aquatic animals almost a year before going vegetarian.

As long as there are slaughterhouses there will be battlefields. - Leo Tolstoy
My blog -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#63 Old 10-29-2010, 11:07 PM

when we went out for dinner the other night my sister had turkey. She was sitting beside me and she whispered something to me and i could smell it on her breath i felt like being sick :S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#64 Old 10-30-2010, 01:43 AM

Sometimes food smells good! The lady below me cooks all the time ~ I can usually guess what it is by the smell Pizza has been really bothering me though the last few times I smelt it. I think it's the cheese
#65 Old 10-30-2010, 07:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMVeggies!!! View Post

Raw meat - YES! I hold my breath in the meat section of the supermarket and when I walk past a butcher!

I vomit everytime I have to walk through that section of the store.

--
The Twilight Is My Robe
#66 Old 10-30-2010, 09:02 PM
Beginner

I'm not physically repulsed by the smell of meat. But when I smell it, I know that it is a product of death.

Check out my vegetarian product blog: http://isitveggienz.wordpress.com/
#67 Old 10-31-2010, 05:47 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't like the smell of meat or fish, raw or cooked. But the worst has to be a 'Hot Pork Rolls' shop we have in town. The smell is repulsive. I can't even begin to tell you how repulsive. It's just..
#68 Old 10-31-2010, 08:52 AM
Veggie Regular

I walked through a hotel lobby earlier tonight that had a restaurant near by, and there was this really strong and offensive smell eminating through the whole area. I said to the person I was with "ugh, what is that rank smell?!" He laughed and said, "it's seafood you dickhead". I must've been isolated from seafood for so long now that I couldn't identify the stench anymore.

m8itcanw8.com
#69 Old 10-31-2010, 10:58 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by draconian View Post

This must be messy. Do you have to carry around a just-in-case bucket?

You're gonna make me puke my pants.
#70 Old 10-31-2010, 04:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by draconian View Post

I'm guessing you're probably not the stores favorite customer?

I hadn't been near the meat department in a store until I visited my mom back in May. I was surprised at my internal reaction to the smells. I don't remember the meat department smelling, obviously I was desensitized to it. All I could smell was the flesh, the ammonia, and the bleach. It was really repulsive and I couldn't believe that I never used to notice it. My local grocery store has the meat department way in the back, but the aquatic animal counter is by the produce so I have to walk by it almost everytime I go over there. It makes me naseous. Even as a meat-eater I never liked how it smelled and now it's a million times worse. I often do the majority of my shopping at the local health food store because all their produce is organic and they carry hardly any meat. It's just a tiny frozen section. It's like the wall of freezers is 3/4's veg*n stuff and then 1/4 meat. They do have a deli and they sell ready-made meals there that the majority are meat-based, but thankfully you don't really smell anything.

As long as there are slaughterhouses there will be battlefields. - Leo Tolstoy
My blog -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#71 Old 11-21-2010, 10:33 PM
Veggie Regular

I've been vegetarian for about 3 months now and today, I happened to walk by a kitchen at the food court and I could smell dead pigs inside. I did not need to look, but I instantly knew what it was. I know I've smelled this odor before when I used to eat meat, and it never bothered me much. But today, I felt nauseated just after detecting the odor for a few seconds, and I had to quickly walk away from there.
#72 Old 11-22-2010, 03:26 PM

I ate meat my whole life until about 5 years ago...the smell does not bother me. Maybe because I ate it for so long...I don't know, but it does not bother me. IT still smells good, but eating it,.... it does not even cross my mind. Once I made the decision to stop I knew It would be for good!

I have to return some videotapes
#73 Old 11-22-2010, 08:25 PM

The only thing that bothers me is pork. Other meats don't really bother me.

Vegetarian since 2006
http://healthycollegevegetarian.blogspot.com/
#74 Old 11-24-2010, 01:47 AM
Banned

I don't hate the smell, but still i stay away from it as far as possible.
#75 Old 11-24-2010, 06:30 AM
adapt. evolve. become

Depends on what it is. Most fish smell disguising, but occasionally I get cravings, and some meat still smell appetizing. But I don't give into those meat cravings... dairy cravings, on the other hand.. :/ Over my 1 year of being a vegetarian, I made 3 attempts to go vegan, and failed miserably. Eventually, I would like to be vegan, but I'm having trouble with it.

All we are is dust in the wind
#76 Old 11-25-2010, 02:13 AM
Banned

Speaking of nasty foods, I find non-organic fruits and vegetables at chain supermarkets to be quite nasty as well.

There has been a huge influx of "frankenfoods" or genetically modified fruits and vegetables introduced since the mid 1990's.
#77 Old 11-25-2010, 08:09 AM

It depends, I find now that smells that used to make my mouth water I find repulsive when it comes to cooking flesh, although I do like the smell of chicken wings, but like someone said before thats more the sauce than the meat.

Iriemama, now known as ILiveCompassion.

To become vegetarian is step into the waters that lead to nirvana.
#78 Old 11-26-2010, 07:53 PM

I went vegetarian after highschool and I went back to eating meat a few years later. Even months after going back to meat I couldn't get over the fact that it just didn't taste the same anymore.

As for smells, I can't stand the smell of meat when it's in between raw and cooked. That in-between state makes me feel awful. I'm glad to be back on the veggie bandwagon though, it's tough living with cognitive dissonance.
#79 Old 11-26-2010, 08:20 PM
Veggie Regular

the smell if meat grosses me out too. There is a cafe at work and I try to stay in my office during peak cooking hours since the meat smell turns my stomach.

Atame.
#80 Old 11-27-2010, 12:49 AM
Banned

I recently had an experience which did tilt me in this direction. I opened up a container of meat, which had gone bad. Yeah, that encouraged me to move in a certain direction, if you know what I mean.

For many years, decades really, I've often considered the smell of meat unpleasant. Yet, I just ate the meat anyway. It was what everyone else did. It seems illogical now, but certain things, I guess you just don't think through; it doesn't become a priority until it's right in your face, so to speak.
#81 Old 12-03-2010, 08:02 AM
Beginner

I'm afraid to admit that I sometimes bully my friends into cooking bacon sandwiches around me because I love the smell soooo much haha

The idea of preparing meat now however does seriously irk me, I don't even like to touch the stuff. Weird, because I used to prepare it all the time lol
#82 Old 12-03-2010, 12:04 PM
Beginner

My mom always makes turkey soup right after Thanksgiving, and it always smells so good. I always looked forward to it back when I ate meat, and I still ate it even when I stopped eating meat (I didn't care about chicken broth until two years ago). I'll admit to still wanting some, but now I know better.
#83 Old 12-03-2010, 04:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronar View Post

I'm afraid to admit that I sometimes bully my friends into cooking bacon sandwiches around me because I love the smell soooo much haha

AHHH! I can't stand the smell of bacon because it seeps into EVERYTHING. I hate it when my family cooks bacon because then I spend the rest of the day reeking of it. Sometimes they make it in the microwave but even then that sucks because the microwave ends up smelling of it and anything I make in there afterwards still has the lingering bacon scent.
#84 Old 12-04-2010, 04:16 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronar View Post

The idea of preparing meat now however does seriously irk me, I don't even like to touch the stuff. Weird, because I used to prepare it all the time lol

Have you thought about just opening a bag of smoky bacon flavour crisps and just sniffing the contents? Might be easier
#85 Old 12-04-2010, 10:06 AM

I feel disgusted when I smell meat
#86 Old 12-04-2010, 11:44 AM
Beginner

I've never particularly liked the smell of meat or fish, but I can tolerate it if necessary.

~Earth, sky, woods, fields, lakes and rivers, the mountains and the seas, are excellent schoolmasters, and teach some of us more than we can ever learn from books~
~John Lubbock~
#87 Old 12-04-2010, 04:12 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by angie54321 View Post

Have you thought about just opening a bag of smoky bacon flavour crisps and just sniffing the contents? Might be easier

It is just not the same! Needs to be crispy and nummy hahaha it's only bacon I have the smell issue with I wouldn't like the taste but it's just the smell lol
#88 Old 12-13-2010, 06:47 PM
Veggie Regular

#89 Old 12-14-2010, 05:34 PM

oh definitely, especially if passing a place like Mcdonalds or KFC. i just get the shivers. Though it's actually the grease that gets me, i could practically smell and taste the stuff. i was never a fast foods gal, it all just looked so unhealthy, even if the meat was home-cooked. Made it all the easier to cut it out.
#90 Old 12-14-2010, 06:14 PM
Veggie Regular

I had to walk past a Five Guys Burger joint the other day ..omg the stench was horrendous.Usually I can tolerate the smell of fast food places but this place stunk of rotting flesh.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page