Pub Food - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-19-2010, 05:25 AM
Beginner

Well me and my partner have been away in Nottingham at the weekend and we stayed in a travel lodge and next door was a pub that did food... the menu was really shocking tbh because it didn't even show which meals were vegetarian as most places usually have a V sign.

All that I thought were vegetarian were cheese dishes with pasta only(BORING)...

It would have been nice if they had a vege lasagne or something nice like that
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-19-2010, 05:53 AM
Veggie Regular

That sounds rubbish. What did you end up eating? Usually in pubs I end up with a jacket potato and baked beans (no butter, no salad dressing but they ALWAYS put dressing on the salad) if there is nothing better. That, or chips and beans haha.
#3 Old 09-19-2010, 06:11 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Ferret View Post

That sounds rubbish. What did you end up eating? Usually in pubs I end up with a jacket potato and baked beans (no butter, no salad dressing but they ALWAYS put dressing on the salad) if there is nothing better. That, or chips and beans haha.

Well we ended up going to the town cenre and had a curry.... spinach and potatoes and it was the best curry , I have had a for a long time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-19-2010, 01:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Some places just don't understand vegetarian food. I loathe nothing more than going out to eat with friends and finding only one veggie item on the menu, which is typically covered in cheese. Glad you found a good alternative though

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#5 Old 09-20-2010, 01:41 AM
Beginner

Quote:
All that I thought were vegetarian were cheese dishes with pasta only(BORING)...

The cheese was most likely non-vegetarian too... most cheese is made with rennet, which comes from the stomachs of slaughtered calves :-(

Check out my vegetarian product blog: http://isitveggienz.wordpress.com/
#6 Old 09-20-2010, 04:29 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeI View Post

The cheese was most likely non-vegetarian too... most cheese is made with rennet, which comes from the stomachs of slaughtered calves :-(

Not so much in the UK. It still exists, but it's nowhere near as common as in some countries.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#7 Old 09-20-2010, 04:48 AM
Veggie Regular

^ yeah, the majority of cheeses here are vegetarian.

i've rarely picked up a cheese i liked the look of in the supermarket and not seen the vegetarian symbol on it.

Misanthrope seeks misanthrope.
#8 Old 09-20-2010, 05:27 AM
Ex-*****

One thing is what they put on the menu, another thing is what they might be able to do if you ask nicely. I don't have too much pub dining experience despite my now 4 years in England, but I think many pubs will be able to make you at least something.

I no longer post here after VB was sold in 2012. (See my profile page for details.)
#9 Old 09-20-2010, 05:57 AM
Veggie Regular

Pubs are pretty standard no-go. Food in a lot of these places can be pretty bad anyway so you're not missing out.
On the rennet thing, Luckily in UK it's not as common but it's still worth looking out for - I always find the cheaper cheese is loaded with the stuff. (why?)
#10 Old 09-20-2010, 01:08 PM
Beginner

The latest mag from the Vegetarian Society had a letter where , I quote, "What is it about pubs and vegetarian food ? Why does every single one offer the ubiquitous wild mushroom risotto?". Most odd as I've never seen this on a menu - flamin' Lasagna seems to be anywhere, and when there is more than one option you can be pretty sure that it will be cheese based (goats cheese seem to be the latest fad). Yes. most cheeses here in Blighty are veggie but that shouldn't mean veggie dishes have to have cheese. The one pub I liked did a lovely veg chilli and also did a bucket of chips ... yes, I did say bucket :-) - but as previous poster has observed, its impossible to stop them putting "stuff" on the salad (and a sliver or two of hard cheese which ISTR is the one type of cheese not usually vegetarian).

I no longer trust soups - I've been served several that tasted dubious so left them.

Whatever happened to good old fashioned style real pub food ? Bangers and mash, cottage pie and chips, all have veg* versions that can made in advance and stored - important in a pub trade - and marketing them as low fat would surely help to sell 'em ?

Had pub lunch today - bowl of chips :-( And a pint :-)

TTFN,
Jon
#11 Old 09-20-2010, 01:51 PM
Veggie Regular

I guess "pub food" in the UK is different from pub food here. I just think fried greasy appetizers you eat when you're drunk, not real "food."

You're gonna make me puke my pants.
#12 Old 09-20-2010, 02:40 PM

I have a 'pub lunch' to go to on Monday with work, I'm dreading it, the only thing on the menu I could possibly eat is the soup. I'm going to ask if they can make me a salad but I just hate making a fuss though especially as my boss is paying. Every single menu I've looked at lately lists a dish with Parmesan with a V next to it, not that I eat cheese but doesn't Parmesan contain rennet?? It annoys me so much that its listed as vegetarian. Is it really that hard to offer a couple of vegan dishes?? Salad, roasted veggies and some nice bread would be fine with me is that really so much to ask??
#13 Old 09-20-2010, 03:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanz76 View Post

I have a 'pub lunch' to go to on Monday with work, I'm dreading it, the only thing on the menu I could possibly eat is the soup. I'm going to ask if they can make me a salad but I just hate making a fuss though especially as my boss is paying. Every single menu I've looked at lately lists a dish with Parmesan with a V next to it, not that I eat cheese but doesn't Parmesan contain rennet?? It annoys me so much that its listed as vegetarian. Is it really that hard to offer a couple of vegan dishes?? Salad, roasted veggies and some nice bread would be fine with me is that really so much to ask??

I think vegetarian parmesan does exist... it's just more rare than other types of cheese.

You're gonna make me puke my pants.
#14 Old 09-20-2010, 04:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by creep View Post

I think vegetarian parmesan does exist... it's just more rare than other types of cheese.

Yes, Tillamook makes one
#15 Old 09-20-2010, 04:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by poshbird View Post

...the menu was really shocking tbh because it didn't even show which meals were vegetarian as most places usually have a V sign.

You're lucky, I've never been anyplace in the US that labels vegetarian meals on the menu. You're on your own here.

"Pub" food here is pretty pedestrian, like Creep said, mostly greasy, salty food. I went to this very upscale place recently with some coworkers after work. I ordered the only veg*n-looking thing on the menu, "pommes frites with harrisa ketchup". Yes, call them "pommes frites" and you can charge twice as much for a basket of greasy french fries. The harrisa was something I hadn't tried before.
#16 Old 09-20-2010, 04:06 PM

I only found out recently after eating Parmesan that it is never vegetarian, at least in Europe where it is a legally protected term used only to describe cheese made in a particular place and according to a particular recipe. Outside Europe I don't think the law is applicable.

I guess the pub simply doesn't know this. Or maybe they are using something labelled as "parmesan-style" which really is vegetarian but you'll need to ask to be sure.

FYI Gorgonzola and Grana Padano seem to have the same restrictions.
#17 Old 09-20-2010, 04:09 PM
Beginner

Quote:
I guess "pub food" in the UK is different from pub food here. I just think fried greasy appetizers you eat when you're drunk, not real "food."

Many pubs have changed to become restaurants that happen to have a bar; pubs here are struggling, closing down at an alarming rate.

Regarding the hard cheeses, I'm sure the vast majority aren't vegetarian, or at least you have to go out of your way by quite a bit to find veggie versions and I just don't trust these outlets to have checked. When I went veggie, family were gobsmacked that cheese might not be veggie, just didn't occur to them.

I'm veggie in a world of friends that aren't, so the option is either become a PITA or resign to having a bowl of chips and like it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page