I don't think I am getting enough protein. Should I start eating eggs? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-08-2010, 02:03 PM
Veggie Regular

I know how the chickens and other poultry are treated. But I am not getting enough protein and iron in my system. I eat more fruits then veggies. I try my best to get enough and it's not working. I think that's why my dizziness (what i have left of it) hasn't gone away. I know iron and protein is in tofu, leafy veggies, beans, some cereals, in whole grains, eggs etc..

8/3/2010 is the last time I consumed meat.
8/4/2010 is when I became a full blown Vegetarian and I couldn't be more proud.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-08-2010, 02:09 PM
Veggie Regular

if you're worried about protein, eat some protein powder.

cheap and effective.

"Hell exists not to punish sinners, but to ensure that nobody sins in the first place."
#3 Old 09-08-2010, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer_queen View Post

I know how the chickens and other poultry are treated. But I am not getting enough protein and iron in my system. I eat more fruits then veggies. I try my best to get enough and it's not working. I think that's why my dizziness (what i have left of it) hasn't gone away. I know iron and protein is in tofu, leafy veggies, beans, some cereals, in whole grains, eggs etc..

Why don't you eat whole grain pasta or rice. Beans can be added to a ton of things, so can veggies. Personally I would rather take the time to make myself something with whole grain pasta, beans, or veggies than eat eggs, but then again eggs have always grossed me out. Nuts are good too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-08-2010, 02:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam86 View Post

Why don't you eat whole grain pasta or rice. Beans can be added to a ton of things, so can veggies. Personally I would rather take the time to make myself something with whole grain pasta, beans, or veggies than eat eggs, but then again eggs have always grossed me out. Nuts are good too.

I have eaten nuts, whole grain pasta, beans and veggies. I'm more addicted to fruit then veggies. But I eat salad everyday almost.

#5 Old 09-08-2010, 02:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Do you eat much carbs? As others have said, whole grain pasta, rice, or even bread are pretty good for protein as well as carbs.

Then, there's always drinks like soy or almond milk, which are protein heavy, and usually fortified with lots of other good nutrients.

Since you eat so many salads, do you ever put beans in your salads? I like to have chickpeas (aka garbanzo beans) in my salads, though I only eat maybe one salad a month. I always joke that I'm acting like a real vegetarian when I eat a salad (like I did for lunch today).

--Fromper
#6 Old 09-08-2010, 02:23 PM
Veggie Regular

How do you know you're not getting enough protein and iron? Have you ever used a website such as fitday or sparkpeople to track your diet?
I mostly get my protein from beans (I will open a can and eat it cold...but I'm weird, ha) and whole grains, and occasionally fake meat. I also recently started buying protein bars because I have trouble consuming enough calories.

You could buy protein powder and add it to smoothies, since you like fruit so much!

I would look at other (more humane) ways to get protein, instead of going back to eating eggs. I'm sure other people will have great suggestions.
#7 Old 09-08-2010, 02:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fromper View Post

Do you eat much carbs? As others have said, whole grain pasta, rice, or even bread are pretty good for protein as well as carbs.

Then, there's always drinks like soy or almond milk, which are protein heavy, and usually fortified with lots of other good nutrients.

Since you eat so many salads, do you ever put beans in your salads? I like to have chickpeas (aka garbanzo beans) in my salads, though I only eat maybe one salad a month. I always joke that I'm acting like a real vegetarian when I eat a salad (like I did for lunch today).

--Fromper

I have almond milk with my cereal and oatmeal. I used to drink it a while ago. But I started drinking more water. I've also had a protein drink here and there. I have a few times otherwise I add basil or flax seeds to my salads. Sometimes I get too lazy to wanna actually cook.
I just feel too guilty about eating an egg.

#8 Old 09-08-2010, 02:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Have you tried any powdered supplements like vega? I've tried it and loved it. Even just a half serving gives you 50%+ of the RDI of iron, and it is high in protein too. You could also go for a blood test and see where you fall when it comes to iron, B12, etc. Just to check, y'know?
#9 Old 09-08-2010, 02:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancingvegan View Post

Have you tried any powdered supplements like vega? I've tried it and loved it. Even just a half serving gives you 50%+ of the RDI of iron, and it is high in protein too. You could also go for a blood test and see where you fall when it comes to iron, B12, etc. Just to check, y'know?

Yeah but my mom won't take me. I figured out it's me lacking protein and iron cause I eat fruits more then veggies. I do my best but I'd feel a bit guilty for eating a whole egg.

#10 Old 09-08-2010, 02:34 PM
Veggie Regular

well, there's other ways to get protein than to eat eggs, so don't worry.

"Hell exists not to punish sinners, but to ensure that nobody sins in the first place."
#11 Old 09-08-2010, 02:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envy View Post

well, there's other ways to get protein than to eat eggs, so don't worry.

Oh I know. I'm lazy sometimes so I don't always wanna cook in the kitchen. I don't eat veggies more then fruits. I eat fruits more then veggies. I could eat eggs maybe a few times a week. That way I wouldn't feel as guilty. But I am not sure. I just want the dizziness to go away. It's not terrible like it was, but it's still here.

#12 Old 09-08-2010, 02:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Use a food tracker. I've seen people (myself included) suggest it to you on multiple threads. If you REALLY care about not eating eggs, then do it. Then if you DO need protein, you can work on it. Easy. The end.

You're gonna make me puke my pants.
#13 Old 09-08-2010, 02:50 PM
Veggie Regular

What is a food tracker? Like a food diary?

#14 Old 09-08-2010, 02:55 PM
Veggie Regular

You're experiencing dizziness and you haven't had a blood test? That's the real issue here. Go see a doctor!

--Fromper
#15 Old 09-08-2010, 02:58 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm not trying to make excuses, honestly. But I've told my mom before and she thinks it's my body reacting to the diet change.

#16 Old 09-08-2010, 02:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

What is a food tracker? Like a food diary?

Yeah, you pretty much just enter in what you ate for the day it gives you all the stats for protein, fat, etc. I'm vegan and I don't even try to get protein and I get more than enough everyday. You will be really surprised. I strongly recommend it! If you eat salads a lot I would try adding some beans like others have said. Chickpeas are sooooo good in salad!

Sarah
#17 Old 09-08-2010, 03:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I'm not trying to make excuses, honestly. But I've told my mom before and she thinks it's my body reacting to the diet change.

So you're under 18 with a medical complaint and your mother won't take you to the doctor? That's medical neglect and illegal.

with regards to extra protein -- eat a spoonful or two of peanut butter a day. Most people have that sitting around.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#18 Old 09-08-2010, 03:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Looking at some sites right now.

#19 Old 09-08-2010, 03:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

So you're under 18 with a medical complaint and your mother won't take you to the doctor? That's medical neglect and illegal.

with regards to extra protein -- eat a spoonful or two of peanut butter a day. Most people have that sitting around.

No, I'm 18. But I don't have a car yet.

#20 Old 09-08-2010, 03:37 PM
Veggie Regular

My fave site for nutrient tracking is fit day, jsyk
#21 Old 09-08-2010, 03:52 PM
Veggie Regular

You only need between 40 to 70 grams of protein a day depending on your age, gender and weight. That's not as much as most people think it is. You can easily get plenty of good protein from the sources you already listed without resorting to eggs or dairy or as Rabid Child said, from nut butters. You can also get vegan protein powder from GNC that isn't terribly pricey and is palatable in smoothies when mixed with some kind of fruit and soy or rice milk.

If you're experiencing bouts of vertigo then I'm willing to bet it's not a dietary issue unless you've been starving yourself which it doesn't sound like you are. I would go to the doctor and start with some blood work and then go from there because dizziness like that can be caused by myriad reasons including inner ear issues, infections, dental problems and migraines.

Support your right to arm bears. ~Cleveland Amory
#22 Old 09-08-2010, 03:56 PM
Veggie Regular

If I remember correctly you've been a vegetarian for a very short time. I think it takes quite awhile for a protein deficiency to show up. You might have something as simple as low blood pressure. It's very common in young women, especially if you're quite slender. I had it for years, and had lots of bouts of dizziness. Eliminating animal products from our diet also lowers blood pressure, so if you can find a free blood pressure check at a pharmacy or something, its worth checking.

That said, your doctor is the best way to go, just to be sure. There are lots of possibilities, and an online forum is no way to get a diagnosis.

Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart. -Confucius
#23 Old 09-08-2010, 04:26 PM
Veggie Regular

I've seen people give you numerous ideas, why don't you try those and then let us know, instead of shooting down every single idea?

Did you write the book of love, and do you have faith in God above,
If the Bible tells you so? Do you believe in rock Ân roll,
Can music save your mortal soul, And can you teach me how to dance real slow?
#24 Old 09-08-2010, 04:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Agree with the tips on adding beans to salads. If you don't want to cook dry beans just get canned beans. Super easy to add to salads, pastas, etc. Also the peanut/nut butter suggestions..since you said you're lazy sometimes then just make a pb sandwich or pb/banana sandwich since you like fruits. Luna and Clif bars are delicious also and an easy quick snack.

Is there anyway you could get a ride from a friend to the drs or take a bus?
#25 Old 09-08-2010, 04:44 PM
Veggie Regular

No. I'll try talking to her again. I was suppose to get blood work done anyway. And no, I'm not shooting down ideas. I'm actually doing my diet tracking right now.

Alright, I just did my track thing. It said:

Fat= 56 %
Carbs=38 %
Alcohol= 0 %
Protein= 6 %

\t
Calories =\t1,766

#26 Old 09-08-2010, 06:02 PM
Veggie Regular

^If you eat more whole grain carbs and bananas, for instance, your carbs and protein will increase (bananas have between 1-2g protein a piece and whole grains can have substantially more per serving) your fat intake will decrease drastically. Or try quinoa, a cup can have around 8g protein. And I'm not 100% sure, but I'd absolutely imagine having that much fat in your diet is making you feel sluggish and not optimal at all and could be contributing to some of your other symptoms. I'd definitely try to lower fat %. Also, so few carbs are probably making you feel dizzy and lethargic from lack of energy. Carbs = energy.
#27 Old 09-08-2010, 06:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Oops & I forgot this part. I haven't eaten eggs/meat in 7ish years and have never really worried about protein I get enough to meet my needs from varying the foods I eat, eating a large amount of food calorically, and eating good carb-y foods.
#28 Old 09-08-2010, 06:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, I was surprised at these results.

#29 Old 09-08-2010, 07:09 PM
Veggie Regular

That's a LOT of fat in your diet. No wonder you are feeling so tired and dizzy. Because of biochemical individuality, we are not all the same and therefore shouldn't follow the EXACT same diet. But I am willing to bet that the excess fat in your diet is causing plenty of problems, namely simply being too much fat and all of the fat taking the place of more vitamin/mineral rich foods. Try getting more carbs, quinoa and sweet fruits like bananas and mangoes are some good options. If you eat enough calories to support your body, you are more than likely getting more than enough protein. The huge concern over protein just shows how uninformed people are.

Seeing as you already get so much fat, I would not recommend adding more fat in the form of peanut butter. That would just increase your omega 6 fat intake as well. Try some lentils or other legumes (sprouted or cooked). They'll increase your protein and carb intake. Also, just because you eat more fruit than veggies does not mean you are automatically deficient in anything. It's all about how much total fruit and veg you eat. I eat about 1.5-3 pounds in just green leafy veggies daily (in addition to other veggies), but I eat more fruit than that to get adequate calories. So I'd suggest try doing some more green leafy veggies for minerals and vitamins. You could do a smoothie with some bananas and kale or spinach. After eating more mineral rich foods and less fat, if you're still having issues, go to the doctor. You are an adult, your health is important. There's simply no excuse for not being physically able to get to the doctor.

I've done a lot of research on diet and health, and I personally believe that you would be doing more harm than good for your health, and the chicken's, by adding animal protein to your diet. Try a few of the suggestions people have said, and let us know how you turn out. Hope you get to feeling well soon!
#30 Old 09-08-2010, 07:23 PM
Veggie Regular

I am going to the doctor.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page