False Vegetarians! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-15-2010, 03:54 AM
Veggie Regular

They are driving me insane! I'm sick of people who 'claim' to be vegetarian yet still eat chicken, fish or even just meat in general.

Example:

I have a friend who eats fish, yet claims to be a vegetarian. And what's even worse, she once ate all meat including red meat for about 9 months becuase she stupidly thought it's what her then boyfriend wanted, even though he really couldn't care less. Yet when someone asks her how long has she been vegetarian she will still say '9 years'... uh, apparently that 9 months of red meat, or the continual fish-eating don't count?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-15-2010, 04:12 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't think I've ever met a vegetarian. Just when I think I have, they mention the fish they're having for dinner. Of course, they only eat it occasionally, like once a week so they can get enough protein.
#3 Old 07-15-2010, 04:22 AM
Veggie Regular

I work with several vegetarians. We are out there and do exist.

The opposite of war isn't peace. It's creation!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-15-2010, 04:36 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by amhappy1' date='15 July 2010 - 09:12 PM' timestamp='1279192335' post='2674002 View Post

I don't think I've ever met a vegetarian. Just when I think I have, they mention the fish they're having for dinner. Of course, they only eat it occasionally, like once a week so they can get enough protein.

Haha yes... becuase of course nothing has protein except for meat. NOTHING!
#5 Old 07-15-2010, 06:10 AM
Veggie Regular

Look on the bright side-- at least she (and others) think vegetarians are cool enough to pretend to be one! Maybe if you call her on it, she would make the change for real in order to keep her hip label.
#6 Old 07-15-2010, 06:55 AM

I find these fake vegetarians to be very awkward to be around. One of the few things I enjoy about being around other vegetarians is our ability to go to the same restaurants, cook together, give each other recommendations, etc.

A friend of mine from class has always told me she's vegetarian. I figured we'd do veggie sushi together at my favorite restaurant. We go and I'm explaining my favorite veggie rolls there...and she orders fish. I'm confused. I mention, politely, that I didn't know she ate fish. She said yes, as though it's perfectly normal to do so. She then asked me if I did, and acted like I was insane for not eating it. It was very awkward.

And honestly? I am always dying to ask why? Why fish? How are they in any way different?! But I know that would be forward and rude. ugh.
#7 Old 07-15-2010, 10:27 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenPinkerton' date='15 July 2010 - 06:55 AM' timestamp='1279202114' post='2674049 View Post

honestly? I am always dying to ask why? Why fish? How are they in any way different?! But I know that would be forward and rude. ugh.

I have an uncle that claimed he used to be a vegetarian for three years some months back. I was intrigued, but then he then went on to say that he ate fish during the time period. He then got defensive when he found out that I did not, and he began to claim that fish were not animals, but rather, serpents.

"A-yup. Ya wasted yer life, son"

- Old Man
#8 Old 07-15-2010, 11:20 AM
Veggie Regular

I found out the "vegetarian" that converted me had gone back on fish and chicken because she was training for a marathon and needed more protein. She may have been pesc or omni the whole time.

--
The Twilight Is My Robe
#9 Old 07-15-2010, 11:55 AM
Veggie Regular

It annoys me sometimes too when people call themselves vegetarian then mention eating fish. I think some people have just been given bad information and might honestly think that veg*ns eat somethings that we don't. I have a friend that is interested in being a vegetarian. I have provided her with links to information and had discussions with her. I don't want to be pushy though so I've been careful. She mentioned that she still likes seafood and is there a type of vegetarian that eats fish. I told her there wasn't if she cut out everything else except fish she would be a pescetarian. I hope she will at some point stop eating sea animals and go all the way veg.

I eat everything that nature voluntarily gives: fruits, vegetables, and the products of plants. But I ask you to spare me what animals are forced to surrender: meat, milk, and cheese. ~Author Unknown
#10 Old 07-15-2010, 01:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowcone' date='15 July 2010 - 12:27 PM' timestamp='1279214856' post='2674114 View Post

I have an uncle that claimed he used to be a vegetarian for three years some months back. I was intrigued, but then he then went on to say that he ate fish during the time period. He then got defensive when he found out that I did not, and he began to claim that fish were not animals, but rather, serpents.

Bahaha. Serpents The definition of vegetarian should absolutely be revised to include abstaining from eating serpents.

But yeah....it can be difficult to reply in these sorts of situations. I usually just try to explain why fish as a living organism and fish as a meat are, for all practical purposes, the same as chicken/pig/cow as an organism and chicken/pig/cow as a meat. However, sometimes that doesn't work and so-called "vegetarian" will keep on eating fish and spreading false information like it's nobody's business.
#11 Old 07-15-2010, 02:03 PM

These lot piss me off, too. How can you be veggie if you consume a fish that was once a living, breathing thing with a life and a personality?! These people need to scrape a few more brain cells from somewhere, tbh. Idiots.
#12 Old 07-15-2010, 02:52 PM
Veggie Regular

I am so tired of finding these "vegetarians." I really don't know how to correct them politely.

You could just argue with them all day sometimes, and they won't budge. -sigh-
#13 Old 07-15-2010, 03:27 PM
Super Moderator

Whenever I get told fish isn't meat I just ask "Well, what is it then?" and I'm usually answered by silence

I mean, fish are ANIMALS. They are made up of muscle tissue and blood and bones and meat is muscle tissue, period.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#14 Old 07-15-2010, 04:04 PM
Veggie Regular

It's quite common. It's scary too how many people ask me if I "still eat fish?" and look at me like I'm crazy when I say "NO!" and then they go on about getting enough protein. I think it was Penny79 (or someone else of equal intelligence), whom I quote, "but everything has protein, so if you're getting enough calories then you're getting enough protein" and they stare at me blankly because it doesn't compute, since protein is some crazy complicated thing and the only way to get enough is with a BIG SLAB O' MEAT!
#15 Old 07-15-2010, 06:56 PM
Veggie Regular

My mom mom told me her sister was vegetarian and almost vegan but a few times a year ate a burger because she loved burgers. Gah.

I think some people don't think it's serious and simply see it as a diet quirk. Like not liking a type of food but occasionally eating it

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will then know peace" - Jimi Hendrix
#16 Old 07-15-2010, 07:06 PM
Veggie Regular

My usual response to "vegetarians" is a friendly smile and a "Man, it's great you've chosen to make compassionate changes in your life."

Then I reach into my back pocket and offer them a guide to cruelty free eating.

It's a very subtle form of criticism - it's encouraging them to rethink labeling themselves vegetarians, while at the same time being positive.

Tam! RUGH!
#17 Old 07-15-2010, 09:49 PM
Veggie Regular

I also have an auntie who used to not understand why I didn't eat chicken. She would say "it's not meat, it's white meat". Apparently if it isn't red meat we can eat it....
#18 Old 07-15-2010, 09:56 PM
Veggie Regular

agreed that its awkward to be around fake vegetarians. When people find out i'm vegan they often say something like ''oh great! I rarely eat red meat myself''. still haven't figured out to reply to that...like...''great...you eat slightly less red meat and eat poultry/fish/seafood/other meat, but other than that you're doing great, you're practically vegetarian''
#19 Old 07-15-2010, 10:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by yumy' date='16 July 2010 - 02:56 PM' timestamp='1279256207' post='2674349 View Post

...you eat slightly less red meat and eat poultry/fish/seafood/other meat, but other than that you're doing great, you're practically vegetarian''

Bahaha, this can be true! I have a family friend who likes to think she is what she calls "practically vegetarian" but still eats chicken and fish. These people don't get it, you can't be 'a little' vegetarian or 'mostly' vegetarian. You either eat meat or you don't and that should be the end of it.
#20 Old 07-15-2010, 10:38 PM
Lifelong vegetarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critter' date='15 July 2010 - 06:54 AM' timestamp='1279191295' post='2674000 View Post

people who 'claim' to be vegetarian yet still eat chicken, fish or even just meat in general.

Faketarians.

My usual answer: I have never heard a convincing reason to eat meat.
#21 Old 07-15-2010, 11:01 PM
Beginner

My sister just told me about someone she has recently met who calls herself a "real vegetarian". My sister said "What do you mean" and of course......

"I eat chicken and fish"....

Arg! How is that a "real" vegetarian?? My sister isn't even a vegetarian and it made her more mad than me. I guess it's because I'm used to things like this coming up all to often...it is annoying though.
#22 Old 07-15-2010, 11:56 PM
Veggie Regular

I had a [s]discussion[/s] argument with a few people on a blog comments section recently about this. The blogger stated she was vegetarian, but ate fish sometimes: a few others chimed in and said they too were vegetarians but also ate fish occasionally. I pointed out that they were not vegetarians but pescetarians, and gave them the original definition from the UK Vegetarian Society in 1847. They argued back that the definition was wrong, that vegetarians do eat fish, and that there is room for all. I retorted with asking them how far can we take this - can omnivores call themselves vegetarians too, because they only eat meat on occasion (i.e mealtimes)? I pointed out the difficulties caused by them in restaurants etc, where real vegetarians get offered fish and chicken on a regular basis; their answer was ~ well, you can turn it down, can't you?. They all continued to harangue me and stamped their little pescetarian feet, sulked, and eventually started insulting me for daring to suggest that they were not vegetarians. At that point I left.

I'd like to think I'd given them food for thought: that they would go away, do a bit or research and quickly realise that I was right: but I guess that they liked the label too much to care whether they applied it correctly, and were probably not intelligent or honest enough to change their minds.
#23 Old 07-15-2010, 11:59 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm sorry to hear about that Angie, that sounds like a really frustrating situation and I'm not sure if I could cope with such annoying people. I personally have a friend who is a pescetarian and she would never define herself as vegetarian or otherwise. If only there were more pescetarians like her out there.
#24 Old 07-16-2010, 12:03 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critter' date='16 July 2010 - 07:59 AM' timestamp='1279263576' post='2674385 View Post

I'm sorry to hear about that Angie, that sounds like a really frustrating situation and I'm not sure if I could cope with such annoying people. I personally have a friend who is a pescetarian and she would never define herself as vegetarian or otherwise. If only there were more pescetarians like her out there.

Well it was my fault for getting involved in the argument. I should know better at my age! But you know, when people say they are vegetarian but they eat fish, sometimes I just can't help having a pop instead of keeping my mouth shut...
#25 Old 07-16-2010, 02:52 AM

It really bothers me too. Fish are still living and breathing and are killed just for someone's taste buds. Also, I get a lot of people (my grandfather especially) asking me if I eat chicken or seafood and being bewildered when I say no.
#26 Old 07-16-2010, 03:03 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaona' date='16 July 2010 - 10:52 AM' timestamp='1279273956' post='2674426 View Post

It really bothers me too. Fish are still living and breathing and are killed just for someone's taste buds. Also, I get a lot of people (my grandfather especially) asking me if I eat chicken or seafood and being bewildered when I say no.

I think the confusion is directly caused by people eating fish and chicken and still calling themselves vegetarian. Some restaurants seem confused on the issue, too - which frustrates me more than individuals not knowing, as they should have the sense to find out exactly what a vegetarian eats and not get the definition from stupid customers who just like to label themselves as vegetarians because they see it as a 'cool' way to define themselves.
#27 Old 07-16-2010, 04:17 AM
Veggie Regular

Even some of the out-and-out meat eaters I work with can't understand why someone who eats fish would call themselves a vegetarian.
#28 Old 07-16-2010, 07:10 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by angie54321' date='16 July 2010 - 06:03 AM' timestamp='1279274586' post='2674431 View Post

I think the confusion is directly caused by people eating fish and chicken and still calling themselves vegetarian. Some restaurants seem confused on the issue, too - which frustrates me more than individuals not knowing, as they should have the sense to find out exactly what a vegetarian eats and not get the definition from stupid customers who just like to label themselves as vegetarians because they see it as a 'cool' way to define themselves.

^^^ Exactly.
#29 Old 07-16-2010, 04:44 PM

I have a friend like that she called herself veg and she ate fish and beef sandwhiches...I could only argue with her for soooo long over this maybe 5 years....I have let it go except to correct her when she calls herself Veg.

love and peace out..(In Memory!!)
#30 Old 07-16-2010, 05:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veggie-Tari-Jenn' date='17 July 2010 - 09:44 AM' timestamp='1279323892' post='2674708 View Post

I have a friend like that she called herself veg and she ate fish and beef sandwhiches...I could only argue with her for soooo long over this maybe 5 years....I have let it go except to correct her when she calls herself Veg.

love and peace out..(In Memory!!)

It's usually fish and chicken... but fish and beef. Surely no one thinks that eating beef still counts as vegetarian.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page