Washing dishes used for meat (rant) - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-10-2010, 04:56 PM
Veggie Regular

So, last week my mom cut a tendon in her hand, and had to have surgery, so she has a cast on her hand and can't use it for the next few months. I didn't complain when I had to unclog the toilet. I didn't complain when I had to open cans for her. I didn't complain about doing the dishes, until today. All I did was ask her if she could refrain from cooking meat in pans that couldn't go in the dishwasher, and if she did could she get my brother to wash them, because it made me uncomfortable to wash them. I'm not overreacting here (at least I don't think so). It's not like you couldn't tell. The pans had solidified fat in the bottom, and smelled like meat. I just made a POLITE request. I understand that she can't, but she could make my brother. I mean he hasn't been helping at all. The disgusting toilet I had to unclog? His. And she can't even make him was a PAN that makes me uncomfortable? She said I'm going to have to learn to coexist with meat eaters. I tried to explain to her that there is a difference between coexisting, and submerging your hands in meat juices. She just doesn't understand! Grrrrr....

ÂIf man could be crossed with the cat it would improve man, but it would deteriorate the cat.  Mark Twain
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-10-2010, 05:16 PM
Veggie Regular

I hate this sort of thing. I asked my brother to at least rinse his dishes whilst we are at home alone for a few days, so the meat and fish doesn't stick to them. He didn't. I had to clean dried fish off half a dozen plates. It was gross.

And my flatmate not only used my stew pot to make a chicken soup (something I specifically asked her not to do), but hasn't cleaned it out. It's been sitting there for three weeks. I refuse to clean it because she never cleans, but that's another story. UGH.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#3 Old 06-11-2010, 08:48 AM
Veggie Regular

I have the same problem, only on a regular basis. My family are total carnivores and aren't exactly the best at cleaning up after themselves. Their idea of cleaning up a flesh grease spill is mopping it up with a wash cloth and then putting it back in the sink. I really like to keep the area where I prepare my food as clean as possible. I usually end up cleaning up after them, simply becaus they don't do it and I want it cleaned up. It really grosses me out, the smell of meat makes my stomach upset, but I really don't know what else to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-12-2010, 07:14 PM
Veggie Regular

The world is still surprisingly sexist, that's the only reason I can see for why your mom is making you do all this cleaning and not your brother. Somehow a lot of people seem to assume females have some natural talent for cooking and cleaning that males just can't figure out, I'm not sure which gender that's more insulting to honestly.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#5 Old 06-12-2010, 08:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl' date='12 June 2010 - 09:14 PM' timestamp='1276391692' post='2656973 View Post

The world is still surprisingly sexist, that's the only reason I can see for why your mom is making you do all this cleaning and not your brother. Somehow a lot of people seem to assume females have some natural talent for cooking and cleaning that males just can't figure out, I'm not sure which gender that's more insulting to honestly.

it may be that he's worthless and the only way it'll get done is if cindylennycleo does it.

--
The Twilight Is My Robe
#6 Old 06-12-2010, 08:29 PM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by draconian' date='13 June 2010 - 01:05 PM' timestamp='1276394729' post='2657009 View Post

it may be that he's worthless and the only way it'll get done is if cindylennycleo does it.

Well, that's not really fair on CLC, is it? Cut him a new one and he'll learn how to do it fast enough.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#7 Old 06-15-2010, 02:04 AM
Veggie Regular

That is frustrating and unfair. :/

Sometimes I wash dishes that held meat too. My family doesn't make me do it, but I like to help out, as much as it grosses me out. I just make sure to clean my hands thoroughly after washing meaty dishes.

"May all that have life be delivered from suffering."
~ Buddha
#8 Old 06-15-2010, 07:30 AM
Veggie Regular

Yep, sure sucks when you hate this Personally, the only thing I dislike is when people don't rinse their plates off after dinner, regardless of what was on those plates.
#9 Old 06-15-2010, 11:13 AM
Veggie Regular

First of all, my sympathies to your mom, that sound very painful. Since I was an omnivore for almost 50 years I don't have that much of a problem cleaning up after meat eaters although it disgusts me, but I can understand if it really bothers you.

However, your post hints that there is more to this. That you may be feeling like you are bearing an unfair portion of the responsibility to help your mother and that possibly this was the case even before she was injured. So you appear to be making a stand on the dirty dishes issue, which unfortunately transforms it into being about your veg*nism. If that is the case, perhaps you could address the issue from a different angle. Explain that it's unfair for you to have to do all the work while your brother doesn't do anything. If she is receptive, then you might suggest that he could start by washing dishes. It's worth a try, although it sounds like your mother is reluctant to make your brother do anything. Good luck.

By the way, I do get this kind of thing from time to time. I was making sandwiches recently and asked my daughter to put the meat on her sandwich if she wanted it because I didn't want to handle the meat. This was interpreted as me "forcing my veg*nism on her and trying to make her feel like a bad person". It wasn't, I just didn't want to touch the meat, I thought she'd understand, but she doesn't always see things from my perspective.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page