VeggieBoards

VeggieBoards (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/)
-   Vegetarian Support Forum (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/11-vegetarian-support-forum/)
-   -   Some People CAN'T Be Vegetarians? (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/11-vegetarian-support-forum/113973-some-people-cant-vegetarians.html)

blugirl400 06-02-2010 05:25 PM

I was talking to a woman today who told me she had tried twice to be a vegetarian and both times she had ended up in the hospital. She said she developed pancreatitis as a result of vegetarianism and she thought it is just not for everyone. I find this hard to believe and wonder if there wasn't some other factor (perhaps she ate more unhealthy as a vegetarian). I don't really know though and would like to hear what people have to think about this.

Sevenseas 06-02-2010 05:29 PM

I would definitely have asked for more info.

penny79 06-02-2010 05:30 PM

It might be possible, but I doubt it in most cases. Like, what if her parents were vegetarians and she had never had meat in the first place and therefore never assumed that the absence of it would create a problem?

Myria 06-02-2010 05:36 PM

Some people can't be vegan - but it's an extremely, extremely rare genetic disorder where their bodies don't produce enough cholesterol. And even then, there is synthetic cholesterol, though egg yolks are supposed to work better.

I can't think of one reason a person couldn't be vegetarian. Maybe my imagination is limited.

GryffinSong 06-02-2010 05:44 PM

I've been thinking about this kind of thing today. It's possible to be vegetarian, but eat only garbage like potato chips and ice cream. I think it would be easy for a person uneducated about balanced veg meals to fail to get proper nutrition. I have no idea if this is the case with this particular woman, but without more info, it's hard to tell if it's a genetic issue or an implementation issue.

whisper 06-02-2010 06:10 PM

I think she is probably eating an unhealthy diet.



Quote:
Pancreatitis Causes



Alcohol abuse and gallstones are the two main causes of pancreatitis, accounting for 80%-90% of all cases.

The remaining 10%-20% of cases of pancreatitis have various causes, including the following:

* medications,

* exposure to certain chemicals,

* injury (trauma), as might happen in a car accident or bad fall leading to abdominal trauma,

* hereditary disease,

* surgery and certain medical procedures,

* infections such as mumps (not common),

* abnormalities of the pancreas or intestine, or

* high fat levels in the blood.



In about 15% of cases of acute pancreatitis and 40% of cases of chronic pancreatitis, the cause is never known.

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/pancr...s/page2_em.htm

fadeaway1289 06-02-2010 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GryffinSong View Post

I've been thinking about this kind of thing today. It's possible to be vegetarian, but eat only garbage like potato chips and ice cream. I think it would be easy for a person uneducated about balanced veg meals to fail to get proper nutrition. I have no idea if this is the case with this particular woman, but without more info, it's hard to tell if it's a genetic issue or an implementation issue.



I've met some "ex vegetarians" that ended up in the hospital. The conversation always seems to go like this:



Them: Oh I tried to be vegetarian but I ended up sick and in the hospital

me: Wow. How did that happen?

Them: Well I got sick from only eating plain salads and fries everyday.

Me: What about beans, grains, legumes, fruits, vegetables, etc? Weren't you eating those?



Then I go on to list the bizillion vegetarian foods and options out there and the response is always "Oh well I never thought about any of that stuff". So yeah basically it always came down to the person being totally uneducated about a vegetarian diet and their health suffering because of lack of knowledge.



Maybe there is some sort of medical/genetic issue that prevents people from being vegetarians but from my experiences from the people I've talked to so far it's always been because of poor diet.

danakscully64 06-02-2010 06:28 PM

Hate Stupid People

Mollfie 06-02-2010 06:38 PM

I think most people just say it.



I often wonder if it's more to do with people doing it wrong, as in not paying enough attention to their nutrion and simply cutting out meat without replacing it with something else.

dividedsky 06-02-2010 07:17 PM

One girl told me her hair fell out when she went vegetarian. I guess. I don't know about that kind of stuff. Honestly there is nothing magical about meat. It's an easy way to get some of the things our body needs but if you are getting those things from other sources guess what - your body doesn't know the difference.

penny79 06-02-2010 07:22 PM

Most people, when they experience a diet change, have hair loss. Not just vegetarians. LOL



I actually lose a lot less hair now that I'm a raw foodist.

draconian 06-02-2010 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

Hate Stupid People



+1

Photojess 06-02-2010 08:22 PM

since I work in dialysis, I know that if a person was on dialysis, it would be very difficult to follow a veg diet....there would be a lot of restrictions on the vegetables and fruits that are allowed to be eaten. So many foods affect potassium, sodium, and phosphorus.....I would have really hard time following the diet......and the dieticians are always encouraging eating more red meat of course, to up the iron levels in the blood, and to up the albumin.....



This is only one situation I would know of.

GhostUser 06-02-2010 09:07 PM

I am not sure about this....I am sure for some people from a health aspect its possible.....I CANT be Vegan....I have tried three times in the almost 21 years I have been Veg and each time I got sicker and sicker........I am not going to judge anyone cause this could be real.....



peace

dividedsky 06-02-2010 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny79 View Post

Most people, when they experience a diet change, have hair loss. Not just vegetarians. LOL



I actually lose a lot less hair now that I'm a raw foodist.



Seriously? I've never heard of that.

amhappy1 06-03-2010 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photojess View Post

since I work in dialysis, I know that if a person was on dialysis, it would be very difficult to follow a veg diet....there would be a lot of restrictions on the vegetables and fruits that are allowed to be eaten. So many foods affect potassium, sodium, and phosphorus.....I would have really hard time following the diet......and the dieticians are always encouraging eating more red meat of course, to up the iron levels in the blood, and to up the albumin.....



This is only one situation I would know of.



My mom was on dialysis. I couldn't believe all of the food restrictions she had and I don't think that she could have been a vegetarian even if she wanted to. I have a hard time believing that an otherwise healthy person would get sick because of following a balanced veg*an diet.

Mojo 06-03-2010 02:42 PM

If a person says they can't be a vegetarian because it causes health problems, ask them if that was their doctor's conclusion or their own. I think most of the time it is someone attempting to do a self-diagnosis based on misinformation.

VegRN 06-03-2010 06:04 PM

I have PCOS which requies me to carefully watch my starchy veggies and grains. I also have a history of kidney stones, for which I am recommended me to stay away from food that are high in oxolate, which is many of my favories veggies. There was a time when I used this as an excuse to resume an omni diet. Eventually I woke up and realized I was fooling no one, especially not myself. I resumed a veg*n diet and have never felt better. I must admit that I do not watch my oxolate intake like I should (I'm sorry but I am not giving up healthy things like leafy greens and sweet potatoes!), but I combat this by drinking a ton of water.



IMO, the majority of people with stories like this are making excuses (like I was). It might be more challenging for some people than others, but it is not impossible. And there is no way in hell anyone will convince me that a healthy veg*n diet caused pancreatitis. NO WAY!

Sonoro 06-04-2010 07:55 PM

Most of the ex-veggies at my school ate meat again because they said they got really sick and their doctors told them to. One of the girls lived off of protein bars pretty much.... I got scared at first, since they were veggies for a short amount of time before they got sick, but now at 3 healthy months I think they just had awful diets.

Earthling 06-05-2010 05:11 AM

99% of the time it's an excuse, or the result of a very poorly planned diet (i.e. the chips and soda kind of vegetarian).

Treehugger267 06-05-2010 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthling View Post

99% of the time it's an excuse, or the result of a very poorly planned diet (i.e. the chips and soda kind of vegetarian).



^^This.



I've been getting frustrated lately with the "excuse" crowd when they have said they are compassionate toward animals. If someone truly believes something is wrong and yet will not put the tiniest amount of time and research into being a part of the solution, nothing I can say to them is going to make any difference at all. *grrumble**

Earthling 06-05-2010 05:44 AM

And you notice it's always so vague like "my brother's aunt's sister's cousin's dog's friend's brother's baker's son went vegetarian and all his hair fell out" or "...and she died of protein deficiency" or "...she got really weak and collapsed one day and split her head open and got 10 billion stitches and it got infected and then she died all because she didn't eat bacon".

Calou 06-05-2010 05:46 AM

This has been such an eye opener for me.. I think because I am half Indian (so my all my Indian family has been vegetarian all their lives) and because I have been vegetarian since the age of 5, I only knew of the vegetarian diet and never knew people thought it could be unhealthy. The first time I realized some people really thought this was when my husband's parents found out I was veggie. I always tell people: if the vegetarian diet makes so many people ill, then how come so many Indians have been vegetarians for centuries and haven't gotten sick then?

Treehugger267 06-05-2010 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthling View Post

And you notice it's always so vague like "my brother's aunt's sister's cousin's dog's friend's brother's baker's son went vegetarian and all his hair fell out" or "...and she died of protein deficiency" or "...she got really weak and collapsed one day and split her head open and got 10 billion stitches and it got infected and then she died all because she didn't eat bacon".



I canNOT tell you this how many times I've gotten the shocked look and "OH MY! Where do you get your protein from?????" *gasp* I sometimes think that I'm expected to be a walking nutritional guide and if I can't provide an list to their liking, then by gum, they certainly couldn't make this work. oye!

Treehugger267 06-05-2010 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchvegan View Post

This has been such an eye opener for me.. I think because I am half Indian (so my all my Indian family has been vegetarian all their lives) and because I have been vegetarian since the age of 5, I only knew of the vegetarian diet and never knew people thought it could be unhealthy. The first time I realized some people really thought this was when my husband's parents found out I was veggie. I always tell people: if the vegetarian diet makes so many people ill, then how come so many Indians have been vegetarians for centuries and haven't gotten sick then?



History should show them that people started getting ill when their diets became so unnatural.

danakscully64 06-05-2010 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthling View Post

And you notice it's always so vague like "my brother's aunt's sister's cousin's dog's friend's brother's baker's son went vegetarian and all his hair fell out" or "...and she died of protein deficiency" or "...she got really weak and collapsed one day and split her head open and got 10 billion stitches and it got infected and then she died all because she didn't eat bacon".



That made me laugh out loud.

danakscully64 06-05-2010 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthling View Post

99% of the time it's an excuse, or the result of a very poorly planned diet (i.e. the chips and soda kind of vegetarian).



That is EXACTLY it.

rabid_child 06-05-2010 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photojess View Post

since I work in dialysis, I know that if a person was on dialysis, it would be very difficult to follow a veg diet....there would be a lot of restrictions on the vegetables and fruits that are allowed to be eaten. So many foods affect potassium, sodium, and phosphorus.....I would have really hard time following the diet......and the dieticians are always encouraging eating more red meat of course, to up the iron levels in the blood, and to up the albumin.....



This is only one situation I would know of.



Though don't you also have to watch how much protein you get when you're in kidney failure?

GhostUser 06-05-2010 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthling View Post

And you notice it's always so vague like "my brother's aunt's sister's cousin's dog's friend's brother's baker's son went vegetarian and all his hair fell out" or "...and she died of protein deficiency" or "...she got really weak and collapsed one day and split her head open and got 10 billion stitches and it got infected and then she died all because she didn't eat bacon".



Funny!

Andromache 06-05-2010 09:16 AM

What do you get in meat that you can't get from a vegetarian diet?


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:10 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.