Some People CAN'T Be Vegetarians? - Page 5 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 59Likes

#121 Old 10-09-2015, 08:06 AM
No flesh since 99'

I don't buy that it was the vegetarian diet in and of itself. Probably something in her particular version of vegetarian eating that wasn't right for her (lots of processed soy products perhaps???).
no whey jose likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#122 Old 10-09-2015, 11:35 AM

Every time someone has told me that s/he got sick and ended up in the hospital from a veg*n diet, the story has fallen apart upon further questioning. (Polite questioning, concerned questioning, not rude or obnoxious.) I think it's entirely fabrication to justify eating meat. Maybe someone out there truly got sick from a veg diet, even a 100% junk-food-veg diet, but I haven't come across one. Seems to me that a person would have to be deathly ill to be hospitalized and that someone would've noticed something before that. As much as I believe that nothing is impossible, I really do think that these stories are lies. ...Even my otherwise-exceptionally-intelligent cousin once tried to feed me the I-have-protein-deficiency crap (and she's an environmental attorney!).

About dialysis... It is, indeed, a restrictive diet. But I have a dear friend who's been a dialysis nurse for 20+ years and she says at her hospital they never suggest increasing meat because it's harder on the body, and that they want patients to be careful about too much protein, and they especially don't recommend increasing meat for iron. They do suggest other foods that are high in whatever nutrient is needed and/or good supplements.

However!... Over the 25 years I've been vegan, I can't count the number of veg*ns I know or have known. (We're everywhere!) Of the many, many vegheads I've known, a handful of of them swear they feel better and do better with occasional fish or eggs. At first I thought this was total BS. But I kept running into people with virtually the same story. These are not idiots, all were/are active in AR or environmental issues, and...well, you get the picture. Every one of them has been able to describe precise ways in which they feel/do better and all have tested their diets and rearranged their diets and everything else. One finally got her own hens so she could have eggs that didn't freak her out.

I don't know if their experiences are, for lack of a better word, imaginary, or if there are a few people who need something in animal products that isn't found in plants (or not found in sufficient levels). But I have to think that it's possible because, as I said, I've lived too long to say that something is impossible, and...

I have a chronic and lifelong problem with iron. Even when I was a child (I'm nearly 63), not one doctor has ever suggested eating more meat. (I didn't go veg until I was in my 30s.) In fact, even back in the 50s and 60s, I was told to eat more high-iron vegetables. These days I have to take supplements because it's not possible for me to get enough iron from any food source.

And so I wonder...
#123 Old 10-09-2015, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny79 View Post
Most people, when they experience a diet change, have hair loss. Not just vegetarians. LOL

I actually lose a lot less hair now that I'm a raw foodist.
Hm, actually, I think being vegetarian has increased my hair, as well as my periods have going on ( and on and on and ) (I'm 55 now!) and I don't think they're going to stop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#124 Old 10-10-2015, 05:40 PM
Witch of the South

Send a message via Skype™ to Loki Laufeyson
The only health issue I ever had becoming vegetarian, was last year when I first attempted, because I did not do it properly. I basically stuck to salads and junk food. It made me very lethargic and I was really lacking in B12 vitamin.

Other than that, idk, lmao.
#125 Old 10-15-2015, 03:07 AM

I made that excuse. I was lying. Then I got over myself. And then I saw how many people I met would launch into a sob story of how they "got really sick" and I'd be like, "oh wow, really? What happened?" and they're like, "I got really sick..." and I'm like, "yeah but, how?" and then they stammer and mention headaches, weight loss, sore tummy... you know, all the **** you fake to get out of work.
#126 Old 10-15-2015, 05:01 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully1987 View Post
I made that excuse. I was lying. Then I got over myself. And then I saw how many people I met would launch into a sob story of how they "got really sick" and I'd be like, "oh wow, really? What happened?" and they're like, "I got really sick..." and I'm like, "yeah but, how?" and then they stammer and mention headaches, weight loss, sore tummy... you know, all the **** you fake to get out of work.
Yes! A healthy person would have to eat really, really poorly for quite a while before feeling anything. It always gets me when they say "I tried going veg for a week and I got sick"! No, you didn't.
#127 Old 10-15-2015, 06:00 AM

I hate those people that "go vegetarian" and all they eat is deep fried chips and microwavable junk... and they "wonder" why they get sick.

To those people I say:

Personally I "eat a rainbow" in terms of food, it's not an exact science to getting literally every nutrient you need on a vegetarian diet but it's a great rule of thumb.

Vegetarian is super easy and doesn't even have to source b12 from a non animal source. Vegan is much harder, but the thing that makes it even harder is if you don't do any real research on the nutritional values of food and which foods provide what vitamins and minerals.
LedBoots, Kiwibird08 and Thalassa4 like this.

Last edited by Chickpeachic; 10-15-2015 at 06:04 AM. Reason: adding a note
#128 Old 10-15-2015, 06:44 AM
Beginner

I think the vast majority of this is just misinformed ignorance. If people would truly educate themselves and try to eat healthy, this wouldn't be an issue. i work with many former vegetarians and it sounds like they were missing something in their diet, they freaked out and gave it up.
Thalassa4 likes this.

Dog, guts and guns..
#129 Old 10-17-2015, 02:42 PM

some years ago i read something about the dalai llama having to eat meat because he got sick from veggie diet...any one know anything about it?

i found an article that talks about it...apparently he got hepatitis?

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/20...meateater.html
#130 Old 10-17-2015, 02:58 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamin View Post
some years ago i read something about the dalai llama having to eat meat because he got sick from veggie diet...any one know anything about it?

i found an article that talks about it...apparently he got hepatitis?

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/20...meateater.html
It is so disappointing to me that he eats meat. Meat eating does not help hepatitis; in fact, Hep A is commonly transmitted by people eating shellfish.
#131 Old 10-17-2015, 07:11 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully1987 View Post
super easy to excuse it away. they feel like they at least tried.

Dog, guts and guns..
#132 Old 10-18-2015, 08:59 AM
Beginner

In my first few weeks as a vegetarian I experienced a couple of days where I had really bad headaches and felt sick.

I put this down to my body sending me signals to give it some meat, 24 years and to suddenly cut it out it was obviously going to put up a little bit of resistance.

The only other problem I've experienced was last week, I went to the gym 4 times, played football and did a PB 5k run with no rest days.

On Friday my body basically shut down, I had no appetite, the shakes and was bed bound. Slept for about 15 hours and still woke up feeling knackered.

This week i'm going to start counting my calories very specifically to make sure I'm getting enough to match my very active lifestyle because apart from this one blip I've absolutely loved the 5 months of being vegan.
#133 Old 10-18-2015, 06:33 PM
Oryzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post
It is so disappointing to me that he eats meat. Meat eating does not help hepatitis; in fact, Hep A is commonly transmitted by people eating shellfish.
It should be considered in the context of a monastic lifestyle. And its one thing that makes me hesitate to become a monk some day.
Buddhist monks can only eat whats offered to them, can only eat from sunrise until solar noon, and can not store food overnight. When vegetarian food is available to them good monks will eat that however often times, especially in southeast asia and the west, people often only offer meat dishes. In these instances good monks will still try to only eat the vegetarian portion but it often isnt enough. I've heard from several monks how they had to eat nothing but an inadequate amount of rice for weeks at a time and then if they got sick from malaria, typhoid, hepatitis, etc. they had to just give up and eat meat. Even if it was two month old rotten fish (no joke, its called pla dek).
The real problem is lay buddhists and non-buddhist hosts not giving them vegan food.
The dalai lama still eats vegetarian at 'home' so its clear he wants to, he just doesnt want to get sick from malnutrition on the road.
If a veg*n ever feels down because family wont eat the food they cook you can always go feed a buddhist monk, just call the local temple and ask when to bring in food

[Buddhist monks are firmly prohibited from eating meat if they reasonably think the animal was killed for them]
#134 Old 10-19-2015, 01:53 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveW View Post

The only other problem I've experienced was last week, I went to the gym 4 times, played football and did a PB 5k run with no rest days.

On Friday my body basically shut down, I had no appetite, the shakes and was bed bound. Slept for about 15 hours and still woke up feeling knackered.

This week i'm going to start counting my calories very specifically to make sure I'm getting enough to match my very active lifestyle because apart from this one blip I've absolutely loved the 5 months of being vegan.
I still do this, overwork myself and then finally my body completely rebels lol. I put in almost 50 hours of work per week the last few weeks, studied at the library in the evenings, cycled and/or hit the gym every morning, and the last few Saturdays did some long wicked hikes, then worked Sunday on my day off. I ignored the strains I was starting to get in my muscles and the headaches from concentrating so much. This Friday I got so sick with nausea and stomach cramps and fatigue/chills, couldn't eat much, and slept a LOT over the weekend. I had all this stuff I was going to try to get done, but my body would not have it. I literally could not get out of bed more than an hour at a time yesterday, and my brain would not allow me to do anything much. My motivation was gone. Not only eating enough is important, but getting rest, taking breaks, and not overdoing it!

And here I am up early to go to work an extra hour today because I took on more work and I can't keep up with what I have. :/ And my tummy is still rumbling. (don't worry, I am not hitting the gym this morning lol).

Funny thing is, I have had energy to do far more as a vegan than when I was an omni.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#135 Old 10-19-2015, 02:23 AM
Veggie Regular

I also wanted to mention that my Mom tried going vegan from omnivore at the age of 68. She has severe episodes of diverticulitis and can not have nuts or seeds or any fruit with small seeds in it like strawberries. She also eats gluten free. And she has never really been much of a cook. She also bought into the soy is bad mantra and refused to eat it. I spent hours and hours with her in the beginning trying to teach her how to cook as a vegan, what foods to buy, gave her countless recipes and cookbooks for gluten free soy free vegans. I still found tons of foods she could eat even with all her restrictions. But she really had a hard time trying to figure out what to eat on her own, and I think a lot of it was lack of convenience and experience with cooking, and limiting herself too much. She really does not like to cook, and I would get so frustrated with her. Our diets are like night and day in difference. I LOVE to cook, to be imaginative in the kitchen, and eat whole foods and I hate to eat out or eat a lot of processed stuff. My Mom would eat cold processed cereal for breakfast a lot. She was lacking in omega 3s and protein because often processed gluten free products have less protein and fiber unless you take the time to prepare whole grains, beans, and fruits/vegetables at home and stay away from the flours/breads, and she could not have nuts/seeds and stayed away from nut/seed butters due to expense and calories. She lost a lot of her hair, like an alarming amount and it shocked me. I tried to get her to at least take a vegan DHA supplement. I even bought her a Blendtec so she could grind nuts/seeds to a powder and eat them that way. But I don't think she uses it much because it still looks brand new compared to mine. Sighs. She went back to eating meat and some dairy, but she still keeps trying off and on. For her, however, the motivation to be vegan is more to lose weight than ethics (she is obese), and I think she tends to give up easily when the results aren't instant. She also gives in and binges on fast food (most of which is not gluten free either, let alone remotely vegetarian) and I believe her problems with food/diet extend far beyond simply diet/nutritional needs not being met as a vegan. She also has the same health issues as an omnivore, minus the hair loss.

I think there are definitely challenges for some people, such as dietary restrictions, cost and lack of resources/availability of food, lack of experience and education, being brought up in a strongly meat based culture, health problems etc. I do believe most of them can be worked around and overcome to a degree, especially if a person has a truly strong desire. Sometimes it takes more than one try.

There are prisoners, mentally ill people locked up in hospitals, and homeless people who would be vegans or vegetarians but are entirely dependent on others for their food and I can see how it would be very hard for them. Also, as someone who has been through eating disorder treatments and forced fed (though all of my experiences in that area were before I went vegan), I can say that many eating disorder treatment programs do not look too fondly on vegan diets and sometimes even vegetarian ones. Thankfully more and more institutions are warming up to the need for vegetarian and vegan food among their clientele.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#136 Old 10-19-2015, 06:50 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturebound View Post
I also wanted to mention that my Mom tried going vegan from omnivore at the age of 68. She has severe episodes of diverticulitis and can not have nuts or seeds or any fruit with small seeds in it like strawberries. She also eats gluten free. And she has never really been much of a cook. She also bought into the soy is bad mantra and refused to eat it. I spent hours and hours with her in the beginning trying to teach her how to cook as a vegan, what foods to buy, gave her countless recipes and cookbooks for gluten free soy free vegans. I still found tons of foods she could eat even with all her restrictions. But she really had a hard time trying to figure out what to eat on her own, and I think a lot of it was lack of convenience and experience with cooking, and limiting herself too much. She really does not like to cook, and I would get so frustrated with her. Our diets are like night and day in difference. I LOVE to cook, to be imaginative in the kitchen, and eat whole foods and I hate to eat out or eat a lot of processed stuff. My Mom would eat cold processed cereal for breakfast a lot. She was lacking in omega 3s and protein because often processed gluten free products have less protein and fiber unless you take the time to prepare whole grains, beans, and fruits/vegetables at home and stay away from the flours/breads, and she could not have nuts/seeds and stayed away from nut/seed butters due to expense and calories. She lost a lot of her hair, like an alarming amount and it shocked me. I tried to get her to at least take a vegan DHA supplement. I even bought her a Blendtec so she could grind nuts/seeds to a powder and eat them that way. But I don't think she uses it much because it still looks brand new compared to mine. Sighs. She went back to eating meat and some dairy, but she still keeps trying off and on. For her, however, the motivation to be vegan is more to lose weight than ethics (she is obese), and I think she tends to give up easily when the results aren't instant. She also gives in and binges on fast food (most of which is not gluten free either, let alone remotely vegetarian) and I believe her problems with food/diet extend far beyond simply diet/nutritional needs not being met as a vegan. She also has the same health issues as an omnivore, minus the hair loss.

I think there are definitely challenges for some people, such as dietary restrictions, cost and lack of resources/availability of food, lack of experience and education, being brought up in a strongly meat based culture, health problems etc. I do believe most of them can be worked around and overcome to a degree, especially if a person has a truly strong desire. Sometimes it takes more than one try.

There are prisoners, mentally ill people locked up in hospitals, and homeless people who would be vegans or vegetarians but are entirely dependent on others for their food and I can see how it would be very hard for them. Also, as someone who has been through eating disorder treatments and forced fed (though all of my experiences in that area were before I went vegan), I can say that many eating disorder treatment programs do not look too fondly on vegan diets and sometimes even vegetarian ones. Thankfully more and more institutions are warming up to the need for vegetarian and vegan food among their clientele.
i agree with you, mostly. But, i do think in this modern age as well as living at least in the US, it's quite easy to be vegan. Vegetarian is incredibly easy. Vegan a bit harder. But, with all the new faux foods out there, it's so much easier. But, that in itself can be a problem with those things being processed and less healthy. Eating whole grains, fruits and veggies and legumes is a cheap diet that is healthy and easy. But, it's different for everyone. I think it's fear based and one has to jump in and experiment. And i say this having a mom who has tried vegetarianism many times over the years and always failed.

Dog, guts and guns..
#137 Old 10-19-2015, 07:39 AM
Witch of the South

I just heard from someone recently that some people cannot be vegetarians because there are some proteins people need that haven't been found in nuts/plants, yet, therefore they need meat.
#138 Old 10-19-2015, 09:03 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auxin View Post
It should be considered in the context of a monastic lifestyle. And its one thing that makes me hesitate to become a monk some day.
Buddhist monks can only eat whats offered to them, can only eat from sunrise until solar noon, and can not store food overnight. When vegetarian food is available to them good monks will eat that however often times, especially in southeast asia and the west, people often only offer meat dishes. In these instances good monks will still try to only eat the vegetarian portion but it often isnt enough. I've heard from several monks how they had to eat nothing but an inadequate amount of rice for weeks at a time and then if they got sick from malaria, typhoid, hepatitis, etc. they had to just give up and eat meat. Even if it was two month old rotten fish (no joke, its called pla dek).
The real problem is lay buddhists and non-buddhist hosts not giving them vegan food.
The dalai lama still eats vegetarian at 'home' so its clear he wants to, he just doesnt want to get sick from malnutrition on the road.
If a veg*n ever feels down because family wont eat the food they cook you can always go feed a buddhist monk, just call the local temple and ask when to bring in food

[Buddhist monks are firmly prohibited from eating meat if they reasonably think the animal was killed for them]
I don't think that's the lifestyle that the Dalai Lama leads. He has his own cooks. http://www.yowangdu.com/tibetan-food...rmer-cook.html

IMO, the Dalai Lama is like any other jetsetter "veg*n". He hangs out with the rich and famous, and pays lip service to the tenets of his religion only insofar as it keeps intact the image which allows him to attract the rich and famous.
no whey jose likes this.
#139 Old 10-19-2015, 09:42 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki Laufeyson View Post
I just heard from someone recently that some people cannot be vegetarians because there are some proteins people need that haven't been found in nuts/plants, yet, therefore they need meat.
Not true
#140 Old 10-19-2015, 10:43 AM
the ever sleepy

Quote:
To understand how wrong this statement is, you need to know what proteins consist of. Every protein "building block" (amino acids) that is found in meat can be found in plants. Your body does not discriminate the source from which it comes; when you digest food, it sees which building blocks it needs, and it takes it. It's just as easy to get a complete essential amino acid profile from a variety of plant sources as it is boil an egg.

B12 is a different story.
Thalassa4 likes this.

I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in.
#141 Old 10-19-2015, 08:54 PM
Witch of the South

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post
Not true
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadrielle View Post
To understand how wrong this statement is, you need to know what proteins consist of. Every protein "building block" (amino acids) that is found in meat can be found in plants. Your body does not discriminate the source from which it comes; when you digest food, it sees which building blocks it needs, and it takes it. It's just as easy to get a complete essential amino acid profile from a variety of plant sources as it is boil an egg.

B12 is a different story.
I know it isn't true. I didn't say it was. Lmfao?? It is what I heard.
#142 Old 10-19-2015, 10:36 PM
the ever sleepy

Quote:
I know it isn't true. I didn't say it was. Lmfao?? It is what I heard.
Oh good. I'm glad to hear. It pains me when people don't understand nutrition and biology basics.
Naturebound and no whey jose like this.

#143 Old 10-20-2015, 04:27 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadrielle View Post
Oh good. I'm glad to hear. It pains me when people don't understand nutrition and biology basics.
I was arguing on Facebook yesterday with a woman who persistently insisted that meat is the only source of iron.
Sadrielle likes this.
#144 Old 10-20-2015, 10:38 AM
the ever sleepy

Quote:
Originally Posted by no whey jose View Post
I was arguing on Facebook yesterday with a woman who persistently insisted that meat is the only source of iron.
I don't know if I want to like that because it made me chortle IRL, or if I should actually be shaking my head sadly. D:
no whey jose likes this.

#145 Old 10-20-2015, 02:09 PM
Oryzatarian

I chuckled at it too, because cows only eat plants so if plants dont have iron cows must be magical alchemists

Rather than eating cows she should be politely asking them to make some gold too.
The cow that laid the golden... well, ok. Dont go too far in visualizing that.
#146 Old 10-20-2015, 05:04 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

^LOL
#147 Old 10-22-2015, 06:53 PM

If you eat pop corn, french fries and soda, you are vegetarian but for sure you will have a pancreatitis. I guess she has a really bad diet.
#148 Old 10-22-2015, 08:30 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanie View Post

if somebody cant be vegan, then they should die if that is the case. animals shouldnt have to die so humans can live.
This is so stupid. Should all carnivorous animals die too?
#149 Old 11-01-2015, 01:26 AM
The prowling wolf

Many of you on this forum have followed my story as I've been a member for years.

For years I struggled as a vegetarian wanting to be a vegan, because I kept having serious nutrition issues no matter how healthy I ate. It turns out that I've had Crohn's disease all those years; as it was just recently diagnosed.

This explains why my body wouldn't absorb iron, b12 and other vitamins correctly; and also why I found it impossible to go vegan. Being vegetarian however, was always possible.

Now I've got good medication for my Crohn's and am able to absorb more nutrients; I have gone vegan and am very happy to be.

So no, I don't believe people can't be vegetarian at least because even with my issues I could be. But being vegan can be difficult/or impossible if you have a very serious illness like I have. But hey; how many people are there that are like me?

Most people just don't want to go through the inconvenience of having to think about their meals and read labels. So yeah, when someone says they can't be veg*n; ask them for their reasons.

If they have a serious illness though, please be respectful of their choice because having a life threatening illness is hard. I've had people tell me that I must not care about animals because I was vegetarian and not vegan, and this simply wasn't true. I couldn't do more because I was seriously ill; and this put me off veganism for quite a while. Please remember who you are speaking with.
silva, leedsveg, Thalassa4 and 1 others like this.

Nothing tastes as good as compassion feels.
#150 Old 11-05-2015, 11:01 PM
Veggie Recycler

This is probably because she had a ****ty diet, some vegetarians I think overcompensate for not eating meat by over doing dairy, or just never learning anything about nutrition. Honestly for health reasons I think even lacto-ovos should eat a lot of "vegan" foods so they get plenty of nutrients and aren't inhaling sick amounts of cheese.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page