Some People CAN'T Be Vegetarians? - Page 4 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 59Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#91 Old 07-14-2010, 11:14 AM
Super Moderator
 
danakscully64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 34,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanie' date='14 July 2010 - 12:43 PM' timestamp='1279129418' post='2673666 View Post


im not picking on them, because i have no idea who posted that (i could always look back). its the attitude i hear so often on forums, the "americentric" attitude.



have you spoken to the person who wrote that, has she told you that "she didnt want to speak for countries she didnt know"?

you live in the US, you will find it very hard to understand how the vast majority of americans act (on the internet, in this case).



I think maybe you're just being too sensitive to the post. It's funny because they actually SAID North America rather than making a general statement for everyone, but only referring to NA. Obviously he/she specified for a reason. I wouldn't be offended if someone said Asia or Europe, I would have just thought "That's interesting. I don't know much about other countries, that's good to know."



Vast majority? I didn't realize you've read comments from/talked to a vast majority of Americans Impressive. (Just teasing) Now you're talking about Americans, what about Mexicans, Canadians, and the others? Don't discriminate against them and forget them.



Lets get back on topic, shall we?
danakscully64 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#92 Old 07-14-2010, 11:50 AM
Veggie Regular
 
stanie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64' date='14 July 2010 - 07:14 PM' timestamp='1279131254' post='2673690 View Post


I think maybe you're just being too sensitive to the post. It's funny because they actually SAID North America rather than making a general statement for everyone, but only referring to NA. Obviously he/she specified for a reason. I wouldn't be offended if someone said Asia or Europe, I would have just thought "That's interesting. I don't know much about other countries, that's good to know."



maybe i was being too sensitive to the post, but its just something i see all too often that bugs the hell out of me. the poster may not have been thinking the way i was reading, and if they werent, im sorry.



Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64' date='14 July 2010 - 07:14 PM' timestamp='1279131254' post='2673690 View Post


Vast majority? I didn't realize you've read comments from/talked to a vast majority of Americans Impressive. (Just teasing) Now you're talking about Americans, what about Mexicans, Canadians, and the others? Don't discriminate against them and forget them.



Lets get back on topic, shall we?

yes, i should have said "the vast majority of americans that i have witnessed

and yes, i should have said north american, as i am fully aware of how some south/central americans feel about the usa seemingly having the monopoly on the name "america".
stanie is offline  
#93 Old 07-14-2010, 08:46 PM
Newbie
 
happiness1535's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moophius' date='11 July 2010 - 05:40 PM' timestamp='1278884402' post='2672304 View Post


This month's issue of Self (July 2010) has a profile of Bryce Dallas Howard, in which she writes, "I was a vegan until I developed a condition that makes meat's amino acids critical to my health. The transition was emotional, but I'm grateful that I can still appreciate where food comes from."



I'm rather curious about that, as my understanding is that there are no amino acids in meat that don't exist in other foods. Sure, complete proteins, containing all 9 essential amino acids, are rare in the plant kingdom, but you can always combine rice and beans, peanut butter and bread, etc. if soy and quinoa aren't your thing. Anyone know what she has, and whether she's full of s***?



She could have trouble synthesizing taurine or L-carnitine. These are only found in meat.



Most who eat a balanced diet with all essential amino acids will synthesize enough. But, it is possible that she does not.



Here is a link to explain.

http://www.vegan-supplement-checklis.../label/Taurine



I cannot know whether this explains her case or not, but it is possible.
happiness1535 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#94 Old 07-15-2010, 07:56 AM
 
IamJen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 19,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanie' date='14 July 2010 - 06:50 PM' timestamp='1279133439' post='2673714 View Post

...i should have said north american, as i am fully aware of how some south/central americans feel about the usa seemingly having the monopoly on the name "america".



Oh yay, my favorite b.s. topic on VB!

<<gets the popcorn and hopes that someone starts a thread on the subject


The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
IamJen is offline  
#95 Old 07-15-2010, 08:25 AM
Super Moderator
 
danakscully64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 34,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen' date='15 July 2010 - 09:56 AM' timestamp='1279205776' post='2674069 View Post


Oh yay, my favorite b.s. topic on VB!

<<gets the popcorn and hopes that someone starts a thread on the subject





Can I have some popcorn too?
danakscully64 is offline  
#96 Old 07-15-2010, 09:51 AM
Veggie Regular
 
stanie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen' date='15 July 2010 - 03:56 PM' timestamp='1279205776' post='2674069 View Post


Oh yay, my favorite b.s. topic on VB!

<<gets the popcorn and hopes that someone starts a thread on the subject





you americans can be soooo touchy
stanie is offline  
#97 Old 07-15-2010, 09:52 AM
Veggie Regular
 
stanie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by happiness1535' date='15 July 2010 - 04:46 AM' timestamp='1279165589' post='2673919 View Post


She could have trouble synthesizing taurine or L-carnitine. These are only found in meat.



Most who eat a balanced diet with all essential amino acids will synthesize enough. But, it is possible that she does not.



Here is a link to explain.

http://www.vegan-supplement-checklis.../label/Taurine



I cannot know whether this explains her case or not, but it is possible.



taurine is NOT only found in meat, there is artificial taurine.
stanie is offline  
#98 Old 07-15-2010, 12:06 PM
Beginner
 
Curcuma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 163
I do not know if it is the only possibility but I do know of one: that a ketogenic diet is very important for some severe epileptics who cannot control their seizures with any known drugs or other lifestyle modifications. These people do have to eat foods that are very low to no carbohydrate, and that is extremely difficult as a vegetarian.

These cases are quite rare, though.
Curcuma is offline  
#99 Old 07-15-2010, 01:55 PM
 
IamJen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 19,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanie' date='15 July 2010 - 04:51 PM' timestamp='1279212677' post='2674102 View Post


you americans can be soooo touchy

Please don't excuse my incredulity for sensitivity. These threads generally descend into accusations of American being insensitive themselves, to the oh-so-many other inhabitants of the Americas. I actually find it quite funny (hence the popcorn)

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
IamJen is offline  
#100 Old 07-15-2010, 07:36 PM
Newbie
 
happiness1535's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanie' date='15 July 2010 - 12:52 PM' timestamp='1279212770' post='2674106 View Post


taurine is NOT only found in meat, there is artificial taurine.



There is, but she may not have known about it, or may mistakenly believe it is unsafe.



I have no idea if any of this is relevant, or if she actually had tests. It was just a guess.
happiness1535 is offline  
#101 Old 07-16-2010, 10:24 AM
Veggie Regular
 
stanie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by happiness1535' date='16 July 2010 - 03:36 AM' timestamp='1279247779' post='2674330 View Post


There is, but she may not have known about it, or may mistakenly believe it is unsafe.



I have no idea if any of this is relevant, or if she actually had tests. It was just a guess.

thats cool, but if she didnt know, she shouldnt have stated that it is ONLY found in meat
stanie is offline  
#102 Old 07-16-2010, 11:00 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Joan Kennedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Lovettsville, VA and Portland, OR
Posts: 1,983
There's a logical fallacy called "post hoc, ergo propter hoc" also known as "false cause," to describe a kind of thinking that goes, "This happened right after that. Therefore, this was caused by that." Obviously it's not always true, but it does fill the bill when the mind is trying to make sense of things. If someone stops eating meat and falls ill soon after, the first thing the doctor will ask is "What major changes have you made lately in your life?" If it comes out then that the patient has recently gone vegetarian, the doctor will sometimes just say "Then don't do that. Go back to the way you used to eat, and we'll see if this clears up on its own." Then if it does clear up, doctor and patient (and patient's family!) will be completely convinced that the dietary change had caused the original problem. And they may well go on believing it forever, all because of a coincidence of timing. And it's impossible to argue against in a way that convinces the person who'd gotten sick. They have that strong, clear memory of trauma to back up their opinion. They were there. Nothing you say is likely to convince them otherwise.
Joan Kennedy is offline  
#103 Old 07-20-2010, 06:25 AM
Newbie
 
Acheron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 36
I got so mad at my parents when I went vegetarian, mum said "my friends brother went vegetarian and tried to run a race but he collapsed and passed out". That was over 2 years ago and I now frequently run 16km and did a half marathon in March. Who says vegetarians are unfit?! He was probably just dehydrated/wasn't getting enough iron, or was glycogen depleted.



I had low iron before I was a vegetarian (I used to live on junk) then earlier this year my ferritin levels came back low, the only thing the doctor could put it down to at the time was that I was running about 40km a week, and I wasn't watching my intake or taking any supplements therefore sweating out a lot of minerals. But of course, mum sill attributed it to me not eating meat. Well, my DOCTOR is a 20 year vegetarian!



I remember a co worker telling me that he "couldn't go vegetarian" because he already had hereditary iron deficiency and had to take supplements. I understand that, but surely you could just eat a LOT of high iron vegetarian foods? In saying that, we can't absorb as much iron from plant sources as we can from animal sources, but it wouldn't be impossible.
Acheron is offline  
#104 Old 07-20-2010, 06:50 AM
Super Moderator
 
danakscully64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 34,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acheron' date='20 July 2010 - 08:25 AM' timestamp='1279632328' post='2676287 View Post


I got so mad at my parents when I went vegetarian, mum said "my friends brother went vegetarian and tried to run a race but he collapsed and passed out". That was over 2 years ago and I now frequently run 16km and did a half marathon in March. Who says vegetarians are unfit?! He was probably just dehydrated/wasn't getting enough iron, or was glycogen depleted.



I had low iron before I was a vegetarian (I used to live on junk) then earlier this year my ferritin levels came back low, the only thing the doctor could put it down to at the time was that I was running about 40km a week, and I wasn't watching my intake or taking any supplements therefore sweating out a lot of minerals. But of course, mum sill attributed it to me not eating meat. Well, my DOCTOR is a 20 year vegetarian!



I remember a co worker telling me that he "couldn't go vegetarian" because he already had hereditary iron deficiency and had to take supplements. I understand that, but surely you could just eat a LOT of high iron vegetarian foods? In saying that, we can't absorb as much iron from plant sources as we can from animal sources, but it wouldn't be impossible.



Exactly. When I talk to people online about iron, I usually send them this link. Meat is a terrible source of iron. I know 3 people who have iron issues, all eat meat. I used to have iron issues, now it's the opposite.
danakscully64 is offline  
#105 Old 07-20-2010, 01:19 PM
Newbie
 
idreamoftahini's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 46
Wow, I can't believe people on this board are so mean. Sorry I said North America. I was just stating that people who live in North America eat badly. I don't know any one would take offense of that. Lighten up. It distracts from the topic. I guess you just need to pick on people and I seemed a likely target.



I came to this board to talk to like minded people, but the way a lot of people get snarky on each other here doesn't make it the most enjoyable experience. I know no other vegetarians or vegans. Thanks for making me feel welcome. I'm glad that I had several people come to my defense.
idreamoftahini is offline  
#106 Old 07-20-2010, 01:33 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Digger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 3,897
I'm sure some people can't be vegetarians and remain healthy.
Digger is offline  
#107 Old 07-20-2010, 02:54 PM
Newbie
 
Kbell6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by @rno' date='07 June 2010 - 07:15 AM' timestamp='1275909337' post='2653248 View Post


Some young people are using veg*sm in combination with anorexia.



How about "some people"? Is the fact that they're young really that important? I find it kind of offensive.
Kbell6 is offline  
#108 Old 07-20-2010, 03:03 PM
Super Moderator
 
danakscully64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 34,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbell6' date='20 July 2010 - 04:54 PM' timestamp='1279662892' post='2676490 View Post


How about "some people"? Is the fact that they're young really that important? I find it kind of offensive.



I think he means it's most common in young people, especially in teenagers (which it is). It's sad
danakscully64 is offline  
#109 Old 07-20-2010, 03:35 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Sevenseas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 25,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by idreamoftahini' date='20 July 2010 - 09:19 PM' timestamp='1279657170' post='2676456 View Post


Wow, I can't believe people on this board are so mean. Sorry I said North America. I was just stating that people who live in North America eat badly. I don't know any one would take offense of that. Lighten up. It distracts from the topic. I guess you just need to pick on people and I seemed a likely target.



I came to this board to talk to like minded people, but the way a lot of people get snarky on each other here doesn't make it the most enjoyable experience. I know no other vegetarians or vegans. Thanks for making me feel welcome. I'm glad that I had several people come to my defense.

If you think this thread is bad, then be glad you didn't witness what went on in the infamous Organic Gardening subforum, which they had to remove after all the stuff that happened. One thread in particular sparked so much anger that ultimately the cops became involved, and they had to identify one of the bodies by using dental records.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

Sevenseas is offline  
#110 Old 07-29-2010, 09:01 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Kiseki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 255
I think it's definitely possible that certain people cannot be vegetarian and especially vegan. Everyone's body is different and processes food differently. For some vegetarianism is the better diet. For some it's not.



I never had any health problems going veg, but then I eased into it and was never a big meat eater anyway. And I also am sure to take iron, calcium and B12 supplements everyday.



The only bad thing that happened when I first went veg was my intestinal tract went crazy! It wasn't used to all of the excess fiber and I had serious stomach distress for like 2 weeks. But that went away, no problem.
Kiseki is offline  
#111 Old 07-29-2010, 09:06 PM
Beginner
 
gina15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 154
I've heard of cases when people break legs, get sick, etc... and immediately assume its cos of vegetarianism... It's most likely not!
gina15 is offline  
#112 Old 07-30-2010, 07:33 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Fever Dream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 231
I don't know if it's possible but I've heard of it from one acquaintance who said when she went vegetarian her hair started falling out, she got really sick and her doctor told her to start eating meat again. When she told me this I was a relatively new vegetarian and didn't think to ask more questions, especially because she told me she had been great about her nutrition and diet.



On the other hand my aunt has not been able to eat meat (except fish) since she was in her teens due to stomach problems so was effectively forced into pescatarianism because of how her body couldn't handle meat. So who knows?

While today is still today, choose well.
Fever Dream is offline  
#113 Old 07-30-2010, 03:09 PM
Veggie Regular
 
draconian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiseki' date='30 July 2010 - 12:01 AM' timestamp='1280462503' post='2680635 View Post


I think it's definitely possible that certain people cannot be vegetarian and especially vegan. Everyone's body is different and processes food differently. For some vegetarianism is the better diet. For some it's not.



It sounds like you believe in the blood-type diet.

--
The Twilight Is My Robe
draconian is offline  
#114 Old 07-30-2010, 04:23 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Kiseki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 255
Like the poster after me said, her aunt was unable to subsist on a totally omni diet and converted to pescatarianism. So I think it is equally possible that some people cannot be vegetarians.



If they sincerely tried snd their bodies wouldn't allow it then I am not gonna judge.
Kiseki is offline  
#115 Old 07-30-2010, 08:49 PM
Newbie
 
GhostUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 0
I am a nail biter and was getting my nails done because I was a bridesmaid in my friend Caris wedding....the woman who was doing my nails had horderves and all were meat based and she said she was shocked when she found out I was Veggie because all the people she knew that were veggies had black fingernails and their hair was falling out.....and had to go back to being an Omni....I said maybe some people but not me.....I always say that its a possibility that someone cant be veggie and or vegan.....cause it is....





peace
GhostUser is offline  
#116 Old 08-25-2010, 08:25 PM
Newbie
 
Kbell6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

I think he means it's most common in young people, especially in teenagers (which it is). It's sad

Actually, a few months ago there was something on the news about people in their 30's with eating disorders. It claimed that the rate of eating disorders in older women is rising. So it's not just teens.
Kbell6 is offline  
#117 Old 07-02-2015, 06:58 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 1
Pancreatisitis main problem is the GMO, and fast food and skipping meals. Our bodies cant break down additives in foods. Fresh food and vegetable diet of Fish, lean chicken no skin or spices. I work with a man that has auto immune Pancreatitis and has had it for 5 years. Sorry people no sugar or high fat content, but I have done this for years along with exercise. Life make us work to hard drink too much. FYI my boss dosent drink. Too much protein can be bad too. Vege protien is a good.
healthy heather is offline  
#118 Old 10-07-2015, 11:50 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 88
I believe it's very possible for some people to find it impossible to thrive on a veggie diet. I know of several in this situation. Everyone's body is different and sometimes people can't tolerate legumes, particularly those with chronic gut problems. Meat or especially fish can be easier on the stomach in some cases, despite being generally unhealthy in comparison.

As much as I want to believe vegetarianism is suitable for all, i've come to the conclusion some people do thrive better on some meat and fish. However, the percentage of such people is probably very small compared to those who tried being a vegetarian and simply didn't put enough effort in to keeping a healthy diet.
veggiestez is offline  
#119 Old 10-09-2015, 07:51 AM
Carmine
 
overthedam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 5
A close friend has looked awful ever since she went "veg". As a lifelong vegetarian myself, I did wonder when she announced she was not going to eat meat (under pressure from her spouse) because we have been friends since high school, and all she ever ate was meat --- often raw! Sometimes along with bread and cheese. My advice not really wanted, I guess. She lost weight, which pleases her, but her skin is grey. I don't know how it could be possible, but maybe some people are just meant to have a certain diet...
overthedam is offline  
#120 Old 10-09-2015, 07:52 AM
Beginner
 
Vrindavan1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 155
I don't believe what she said.

ramsss.com
Vrindavan1 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off