Some People CAN'T Be Vegetarians? - Page 3 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 59Likes

#61 Old 07-05-2010, 02:26 AM

I've been a vegetarian for a year and 2 months, with absolutely zero meat in my diet for that long, and it has done nothing but good things for my body. My sleep patterns are great, my BM's are great, my immune system is great, even PMS has gotten easier and I can exercise for longer. I am quite conscious of my diet and I make sure to get more or less precisely what my body needs (although I haven't completely eliminated junk food from my diet) and I feel healthier than I ever have in my entire life. I can't imagine it having the completely opposite reaction on someone else, just because they are not eating meat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 Old 07-05-2010, 01:05 PM
Veggie Regular

I would imagine she is either blaming vegetarianism because she wants an excuse, or she wasn't eating well. I had no idea what to eat when I went veg for 2-3 weeks as a teenager. I actually ended up gaining like 10 pounds because I was only eating carbs and cheesy pasta. Of course, I figured I just "couldn't" be vegetarian, not that I wasn't eating what I should've been.

You're gonna make me puke my pants.
#63 Old 07-05-2010, 01:12 PM

I would agree with the statement that not all people can be vegetarians. I believe that everyone's body, blood type, DNA and over-all "systems" are so very different. Just like I am allergic to penicillin and my neighbor is not. I believe that some people were meant to eat meat (and need it) while others were not. I would hope of course they would go out of their way to eat free-range organic local meat etc.

We are all different and I think it's important to find out what is right for you but at the same time, respect other people's choices even when they are different from your own.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#64 Old 07-05-2010, 06:05 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by draconian' date='03 July 2010 - 08:03 PM' timestamp='1278205422' post='2668483 View Post

That's exactly the point. He DOESN'T WANT to give it up. Emphasis on the want. It's not that he can't give it up.

Right. And my hubby doesn't confuse the two. But some people will sometimes say them interchangeably, meaning that possibly the person in question "can't" be a vegetarian, meaning they "don't want to".
#65 Old 07-06-2010, 03:44 PM

Well the first time around I went vegetarian I did get sick because of not eating right. I didn't blame this on being a new veg, it was my diet and any diet lacking proper nutrition will get you sick.
#66 Old 07-07-2010, 02:41 AM
Veggie Regular

In my experience people who say I tried vegetarianism and got sick or say they cannot beacuse of [insert reason] are predominately trying to justify their decision to eat meat to themselves rather than the person they are speaking to.

Why? Because they feel guilty - consciously or sub-consciously.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former - Albert Einstein
#67 Old 07-07-2010, 07:56 AM
Veggie Regular

I find it very hard to believe that some people actually cannot survive on a vegetarian (or vegan) diet. Maybe if you're allergic to all (or most) non-animal products, then I could understand that, a bit.

I think it's mostly anecdotal evidence which people use, as if their one experience and attempt qualifies for the possibilities of actually being vegetarian. Consuming only iceberg lettuce or only french fries does qualify as a vegetarian, but they're not very healthy diets, and I think many attempts are like that, people just choose a few things (since they cut out the meat based products) and eat them.

People just want excuses.

I believe everything.
#68 Old 07-07-2010, 09:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Becoming veg was one of the best things I have done for myself. That is what my doctor told me.

"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom"
#69 Old 07-11-2010, 11:37 AM

People who can't be veg are too full of crap. IMHO
#70 Old 07-11-2010, 02:40 PM
Beginner

This month's issue of Self (July 2010) has a profile of Bryce Dallas Howard, in which she writes, "I was a vegan until I developed a condition that makes meat's amino acids critical to my health. The transition was emotional, but I'm grateful that I can still appreciate where food comes from."

I'm rather curious about that, as my understanding is that there are no amino acids in meat that don't exist in other foods. Sure, complete proteins, containing all 9 essential amino acids, are rare in the plant kingdom, but you can always combine rice and beans, peanut butter and bread, etc. if soy and quinoa aren't your thing. Anyone know what she has, and whether she's full of s***?
#71 Old 07-11-2010, 02:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Why hate on people who try eating meatless and find they cannot make it work? For most of us it's self-reinforcing: We stop eating meat, we eat beans and fruits and vegetables and grains, and we feel better. It's easy to keep doing something that makes us feel better. There are people out there who try it and feel worse instead, or who are allergic to some of the staples that make it an easy ride for most of us. Good on 'em for trying, I say. No doubt some of them will try it again at some point and learn how to steer clear of the mistakes that screwed it up for them when they failed. Maybe their hair won't fall out next time, or they will be under the influence of better nutrition advisers, whatever it takes. I really don't get the hostility.
#72 Old 07-11-2010, 03:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joan Kennedy' date='11 July 2010 - 10:56 PM' timestamp='1278885376' post='2672321 View Post

No doubt some of them will try it again at some point and learn how to steer clear of the mistakes that screwed it up for them when they failed.

And some others will go on a personal holy mission against veg*nism after that, explaining everywhere how s****y they felt and how much they missed meat and how great they're feeling now that they eat meat again, making sure that anyone else doesn't feel any incentive to try going veg*n.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#73 Old 07-11-2010, 03:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas' date='11 July 2010 - 09:29 PM' timestamp='1278887355' post='2672343 View Post

And some others will go on a personal holy mission against veg*nism after that, explaining everywhere how s****y they felt and how much they missed meat and how great they're feeling now that they eat meat again, making sure that anyone else doesn't feel any incentive to try it.

Anything's possible I guess. Jerks will say what they will say. I've never run into a former veg*n who said anything like that, except occasionally online. And they did not seem reliable to me because of other things they had said on other topics. Disclosure: In my 30s I tried veg*n eating and did give it up after some hair loss. But it didn't turn me off the principle of getting back to it eventually. And I couldn't imagine generalizing my experience to everyone who lived without eating meat; it was obvious to me that there were people out there who were doing just fine, and I couldn't have said for sure whether the hair loss was diet-related or not. At the time, knowing the little I knew, it felt safer to step back into more familiar territory.
#74 Old 07-12-2010, 06:26 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moophius' date='11 July 2010 - 02:40 PM' timestamp='1278884402' post='2672304 View Post

This month's issue of Self (July 2010) has a profile of Bryce Dallas Howard, in which she writes, "I was a vegan until I developed a condition that makes meat's amino acids critical to my health. The transition was emotional, but I'm grateful that I can still appreciate where food comes from."

I'm rather curious about that, as my understanding is that there are no amino acids in meat that don't exist in other foods. Sure, complete proteins, containing all 9 essential amino acids, are rare in the plant kingdom, but you can always combine rice and beans, peanut butter and bread, etc. if soy and quinoa aren't your thing. Anyone know what she has, and whether she's full of s***?

I don't, but I don't know all possible conditions. Perhaps she's allergic to all plants and fungus?

I believe everything.
#75 Old 07-12-2010, 06:35 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joan Kennedy' date='11 July 2010 - 02:56 PM' timestamp='1278885376' post='2672321 View Post

Why hate on people who try eating meatless and find they cannot make it work?

It's annoying? I'm not sure about the 'hate on people' but it's frustrating when people state that they "can't be vegetarian" because of some self diagnosed 'condition' where they 'need' to consume non-human animal sources. I find abstaining from animal products as a basis for common decency. To me it's similar to other qualities of common decency, that when people make excuses or even further to go on a 'holy mission' (as Sevenseas stated) against veg*nism, it's really frustrating.

I've found within the environmental movement that there's a big Michael Pollan following and/or primitivism following and so far they're all pretty vocal against veg*nism. Most even have the mystic of "I was a veg*n once..."

I believe everything.
#76 Old 07-12-2010, 07:35 PM

[QUOTE=stanie' date='05 June 2010 - 03:22 PM' timestamp='1275769351' post='2651983'

if somebody cant be vegan, then they should die if that is the case. animals shouldnt have to die so humans can live.

[/quote]

WOW--Ey--WOW--WOW... thats massively harsh but I am not gonna take that personally....we are all entitled to our opinions and I am of the opinion we all need to do whats best for us personally and every little bit helps no matter how little....and I am not in any way implying that what I have and continue to do is little in any way....as a Vegetarian/ AR Activist for almost 21 years...(It will be 21 years in December) I have done and continue to do alot and am massively proud of me and all my accomplishments and thats the only opinion....in my NEVER to be humble opinion that matters....so what I am saying is be LOUD and PROUD of Yourself and Your Accomplishments Vegan or Not....Cause Veggies Rock!!

hope you have a very hippie day

peace, love and sunshine-ey days

love and peace out!! (in memory!!)
#77 Old 07-13-2010, 06:47 AM
Super Moderator

Very well said, Jenn
#78 Old 07-13-2010, 09:36 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by idreamoftahini' date='06 June 2010 - 05:07 AM' timestamp='1275797276' post='2652260 View Post

I think people getting sick eating as a vegetarian is directly related to the majority of people in North America eating a diet of processed junk and thinking it's healthy. If you suddenly go from eating meat and processed junk, and then remove the meat and go to eating only processed junk.......then yes, a person wouldn't get enough nutrients to keep them healthy.

Not everyone eating a vegetarian/vegan diet eats a healthy diet. Many people both Omni and vegetarian/vegan eat very unhealthy.

what about those that dont live in north america? or does only north america exist?
#79 Old 07-13-2010, 09:53 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanie' date='13 July 2010 - 11:36 AM' timestamp='1279038962' post='2673113 View Post

what about those that dont live in north america? or does only north america exist?

Yes, only North America exists
#80 Old 07-13-2010, 12:35 PM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

I used to think there were other places in the world, too, but VB put me right.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#81 Old 07-13-2010, 01:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joan Kennedy' date='11 July 2010 - 10:56 PM' timestamp='1278885376' post='2672321 View Post

Why hate on people who try eating meatless and find they cannot make it work? For most of us it's self-reinforcing: We stop eating meat, we eat beans and fruits and vegetables and grains, and we feel better. It's easy to keep doing something that makes us feel better. There are people out there who try it and feel worse instead, or who are allergic to some of the staples that make it an easy ride for most of us. Good on 'em for trying, I say. No doubt some of them will try it again at some point and learn how to steer clear of the mistakes that screwed it up for them when they failed. Maybe their hair won't fall out next time, or they will be under the influence of better nutrition advisers, whatever it takes. I really don't get the hostility.

the hostility towards the animals in the slaughterhouse, do you mean?
#82 Old 07-13-2010, 01:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veggie-Tari-Jenn' date='07 June 2010 - 05:26 AM' timestamp='1275884770' post='2653109 View Post

totally.....very very very very sick.....so I am of the belief that Veganism ISNT for everyone....its personal for everyone and I am gonna keep mine that way too....but I believe that its different for everyone and I dont judge if people say they cant be Vegetarian or whatever....maybe they cant....cause I know I CANT be Vegan and WONT ever endanger my health again by trying no matter what people have said to me and continue to do.....I am a very proud Vegetarian of almost 21 years and thats very cool for me....have a hippie day

peace & love

its not so cool for the calves.
#83 Old 07-13-2010, 01:23 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiz' date='13 July 2010 - 02:35 PM' timestamp='1279049717' post='2673178 View Post

I used to think there were other places in the world, too, but VB put me right.

The person who wrote that never said anything about the US being the only place, but they speak only for this country because they know about it. Makes sense to me.
#84 Old 07-13-2010, 01:26 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanie' date='13 July 2010 - 03:02 PM' timestamp='1279051367' post='2673195 View Post

its not so cool for the calves.

Stanie, if you cannot control yourself in the Vegetarian section, don't read here. Michael made this forum for Vegetarians AND Vegans. This comment wasn't necessary.
#85 Old 07-13-2010, 01:38 PM
Veggie Regular

I usually don't mention it explicitly, but whenever I offer any practical advice, it's meant to apply only to people living in Vatican City. Now if you don't live there, too bad I guess, but if you have never experienced all that Vee Cee nitelife has to offer, you really have nothing to live for, and you've got bigger problems than whether some brand of soymilk I recommend is available where you live.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#86 Old 07-13-2010, 01:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Honestly, (and I don't like admitting this...) I don't have the best diet, because I live in such a meat dominated household with a mom that doesn't get my kind of food (you know- vegetables), but I try and I've been vegetarian for over a year. No health problems have so far stemmed from my diet.

I also read somewhere that what you eat depends on your blood type. It also said something about blood type O not being able to be healthy veg*ns. What bull.
#87 Old 07-13-2010, 01:44 PM

Mod note:

This thread is in the *vegetarian* forum. Vegetarian bashing is not allowed.

Being vegetarian/interested in becoming veg is the minimum requirement for posting at VB.

(just in case you've missed it the last 973 times a mod has posted this)

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#88 Old 07-14-2010, 10:29 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64' date='13 July 2010 - 09:23 PM' timestamp='1279052623' post='2673215 View Post

The person who wrote that never said anything about the US being the only place, but they speak only for this country because they know about it. Makes sense to me.

correct ,they didnt say north america was the only place, but there really was no need to specify a country, was there?

"I think people getting sick eating as a vegetarian is directly related to the majority of people in North America eating a diet of processed junk and thinking it's healthy."
#89 Old 07-14-2010, 10:35 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanie' date='14 July 2010 - 12:29 PM' timestamp='1279128586' post='2673653 View Post

correct ,they didnt say north america was the only place, but there really was no need to specify a country, was there?

"I think people getting sick eating as a vegetarian is directly related to the majority of people in North America eating a diet of processed junk and thinking it's healthy."

Well, that person didn't want to speak for countries she didn't know about. If she had left out the North America part, people could have also said "In (so and so country), a lot of people don't eat processed junk. Just because they do where you live, doesn't mean it's everywhere." It was pointless to make that comment. It just sounds like you're picking on them. It would make more sense to say "Yeah, it seems to be the case in other countries too" if you knew that to be true.
#90 Old 07-14-2010, 10:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64' date='14 July 2010 - 06:35 PM' timestamp='1279128926' post='2673658 View Post

Well, that person didn't want to speak for countries she didn't know about. If she had left out the North America part, people could have also said "In (so and so country), a lot of people don't eat processed junk. Just because they do where you live, doesn't mean it's everywhere." It was pointless to make that comment. It just sounds like you're picking on them.

im not picking on them, because i have no idea who posted that (i could always look back). its the attitude i hear so often on forums, the "americentric" attitude.

have you spoken to the person who wrote that, has she told you that "she didnt want to speak for countries she didnt know"?

you live in the US, you will find it very hard to understand how the vast majority of americans act (on the internet, in this case).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page