Some People CAN'T Be Vegetarians? - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 59Likes

#31 Old 06-05-2010, 10:25 AM
Super Moderator

In terms of nutrients, nothing. With an omni diet, you're more likely to consume high amounts of cholesterol, saturated fat, and excessive calories. Also, not get enough other nutrients because your meals focus on the "protein."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 06-05-2010, 12:54 PM

I've worked in the medical field for 15 years and have not heard of any medical condition being caused by a vegetarian diet. The two main causes of pancreatitis are alcohol abuse and gallstones--neither are associated with a vegetarian diet. In my opinion, these people are just looking for an excuse to eat meat. Why not just be honest and say that they eat meat because they like it and don't want to change?

Proud Air Force Mom
#33 Old 06-05-2010, 01:56 PM

Yeah, this sounds fishy. Meat is only an easy source of protein, as someone else stated. So, I don't understand why her body wouldn't be able to adjust to her diet if she was getting the proper nutrition.
Kiwibird08 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 06-05-2010, 02:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

In terms of nutrients, nothing. With an omni diet, you're more likely to consume high amounts of cholesterol, saturated fat, and excessive calories. Also, not get enough other nutrients because your meals focus on the "protein."

Exactly.

(It was rhetorical, btw)
#35 Old 06-05-2010, 02:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myria View Post

Some people can't be vegan - but it's an extremely, extremely rare genetic disorder where their bodies don't produce enough cholesterol. And even then, there is synthetic cholesterol, though egg yolks are supposed to work better.

I can't think of one reason a person couldn't be vegetarian. Maybe my imagination is limited.

im not directing this at you, so dont panic!

if somebody cant be vegan, then they should die if that is the case. animals shouldnt have to die so humans can live.
#36 Old 06-05-2010, 02:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

Hate Stupid People

we need an icon where we headbutt these stupid people!!!
#37 Old 06-05-2010, 02:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veggie-Tari-Jenn View Post

I am not sure about this....I am sure for some people from a health aspect its possible.....I CANT be Vegan....I have tried three times in the almost 21 years I have been Veg and each time I got sicker and sicker........I am not going to judge anyone cause this could be real.....

peace

sick?
#38 Old 06-05-2010, 02:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanie View Post

we need an icon where we headbutt these stupid people!!!

Nah, wouldn't want to hurt our heads when we've got these:

don't take my life away, don't take my life away.
#39 Old 06-05-2010, 02:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxyphonist View Post

Nah, wouldn't want to hurt our heads when we've got these:

#40 Old 06-05-2010, 10:07 PM

I think people getting sick eating as a vegetarian is directly related to the majority of people in North America eating a diet of processed junk and thinking it's healthy. If you suddenly go from eating meat and processed junk, and then remove the meat and go to eating only processed junk.......then yes, a person wouldn't get enough nutrients to keep them healthy.

Not everyone eating a vegetarian/vegan diet eats a healthy diet. Many people both Omni and vegetarian/vegan eat very unhealthy.
#41 Old 06-06-2010, 10:26 PM

Quote:

sick?

totally.....very very very very sick.....so I am of the belief that Veganism ISNT for everyone....its personal for everyone and I am gonna keep mine that way too....but I believe that its different for everyone and I dont judge if people say they cant be Vegetarian or whatever....maybe they cant....cause I know I CANT be Vegan and WONT ever endanger my health again by trying no matter what people have said to me and continue to do.....I am a very proud Vegetarian of almost 21 years and thats very cool for me....have a hippie day

peace & love
#42 Old 06-07-2010, 05:15 AM
Lifelong vegetarian

Some young people are using veg*sm in combination with anorexia.

My usual answer: I have never heard a convincing reason to eat meat.
#43 Old 06-07-2010, 05:56 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by @rno View Post

Some young people are using veg*sm in combination with anorexia.

I thought it was more like, they claim to be vegan so they have an excuse to refuse most foods they may be offered?
#44 Old 06-07-2010, 07:04 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by woolyjumpers View Post

I thought it was more like, they claim to be vegan so they have an excuse to refuse most foods they may be offered?

Actually yes, I've heard of numerous cases like that too.
#45 Old 06-07-2010, 11:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Oddly, the treatment for pancreatitis includes eliminating red meat from the diet.

Rule number 1: when you remove meat from your diet, replace it with some other protein.

I did experience hair loss the first time I tried going vegetarian. My hair became brittle and big clumps of it came out when I combed it. I have since discovered this is a symptom of B12 deficiency.

Because of the effort it takes for me to explain to people that I can't eat meat - I get physically ill when I do - I am willing to entertain the notion that there are those who would become ill on a vegetarian diet. From what I've seen and experienced, though, I think it would be rare and that most people who do are simply not eating a balanced diet.
#46 Old 06-08-2010, 05:52 AM

To make the transition to be vegetarian, you need to make an action plan on how to substitute with other foods in particular foods with high protein. Society stating that to be vegetarian is unhealthy have no basis of research, knowledge and practicality behind them. There are a variety of meals and food items available today that contain excellent nutrients and protein. This is in addition to your vitamins.

One great example that I would like to suggest, is to replace that daily chocolate bar/biscuit with a delicious protein bar that on average contains 22g of protein and less teaspoons of sugar. Not only is this a healthier option for you, they taste great and keep you feeling more sustained, far longer than a chocolate bar.
#47 Old 06-08-2010, 06:50 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Let's go Veg View Post

One great example that I would like to suggest, is to replace that daily chocolate bar/biscuit with a delicious protein bar that on average contains 22g of protein and less teaspoons of sugar. Not only is this a healthier option for you, they taste great and keep you feeling more sustained, far longer than a chocolate bar.

I'd rather not, that would be buying into the myth that people need massive amounts of protein. A reasonably well balanced vegan diet will supply enough.
aprilrain likes this.
#48 Old 06-08-2010, 07:03 AM
Super Moderator

Yeah, people tend to get too much protein which stores as fat. I just eat balanced meals and I'm very healthy
#49 Old 06-08-2010, 04:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

if somebody cant be vegan, then they should die if that is the case. animals shouldnt have to die so humans can live.

Always so pleasant... glad to have you here!
aprilrain likes this.
#50 Old 07-03-2010, 11:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andromache' date='05 June 2010 - 05:16 PM' timestamp='1275754598' post='2651832 View Post

What do you get in meat that you can't get from a vegetarian diet?

And there's yet another million dollar question ...

When I used to 'troll' (your always a troll if you speak unpopular truths?) non veggie boards I came across this pile of old cobblers many times.

M'favourite counter was to challenge people to name the 'magic' ingredient that was contained in meat but not in what meat eats.

All comers failed, obviously, as there is no magic ingredient.

One proviso mind ...

I am not convinced that there are not people who have damaged their bodies so badly by eating crap for so long that they can no longer digest 'proper' food efficiently.

Possibly there are some people who have buggered up their own bodies so badly that they can only now exist by robbing the bodies of others?
#51 Old 07-03-2010, 12:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless Git' date='03 July 2010 - 10:30 AM' timestamp='1278178249' post='2668309 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andromache' date='05 June 2010 - 09:16 AM' timestamp='1275754598' post='2651832 View Post

What do you get in meat that you can't get from a vegetarian diet?

And there's yet another million dollar question ...

When I used to 'troll' (your always a troll if you speak unpopular truths?) non veggie boards I came across this pile of old cobblers many times.

M'favourite counter was to challenge people to name the 'magic' ingredient that was contained in meat but not in what meat eats.

Putrescine and cadaverine.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#52 Old 07-03-2010, 12:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomebodyElse' date='03 July 2010 - 02:05 PM' timestamp='1278180313' post='2668334 View Post

Those are both found in semen so with a properly planned vegan diet......

don't take my life away, don't take my life away.
#53 Old 07-03-2010, 02:19 PM
Beginner

I don't believe this. That's not possible.

But I do believe some people are at a more ready place to accept veg*nism. My husband and I went vegetarian around the same time, and I have been thriving. I love it! But today he went back to being an omni, and I'm totally okay with that. He was miserable as a vegetarian. He loves the taste of meat, and is not ready to give that up; maybe in the future he will again. So I am much more suited to vegetarianism at this point in my life.
#54 Old 07-03-2010, 03:13 PM
Veggie Regular

I think things that could cause you to not be able to be veg are extreme dietary restrictions or extreme allergies. I think 99% of people who say they can't/got sick had psycological issues that made them feel sick(thinking veg is unhealthy) or ate horrible, unplanned diets. Over the past year I haven't even been eating as well as I should be(and used to) and all that changed about my health?...My iron was 17 instead of the reccomended 18...so I became borderline anaemic. THIS was all that happened after A YEAR of not even bothering with a well planned veg diet and too much junk food. So yeah....
#55 Old 07-03-2010, 05:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomebodyElse' date='03 July 2010 - 07:05 PM' timestamp='1278180313' post='2668334 View Post

Them's not the 'magic' ingredient we cant live without though, is they?

Methinks them's just two out of a whole host of unwanted meat borne 'nasties'?
#56 Old 07-03-2010, 05:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh I was being facetious. Never take my one-liners seriously.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#57 Old 07-03-2010, 05:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomebodyElse' date='04 July 2010 - 12:04 AM' timestamp='1278198261' post='2668437 View Post

Oh I was being facetious. Never take my one-liners seriously.

Thank heavens!

#58 Old 07-03-2010, 07:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by indeliblecello' date='03 July 2010 - 04:19 PM' timestamp='1278188391' post='2668384 View Post

He loves the taste of meat, and is not ready to give that up;

That's exactly the point. He DOESN'T WANT to give it up. Emphasis on the want. It's not that he can't give it up.

--
The Twilight Is My Robe
#59 Old 07-04-2010, 01:10 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless Git' date='03 July 2010 - 04:14 PM' timestamp='1278198879' post='2668440 View Post

Thank heavens!

I guess they don't call you Clueless Git for nothing then eh?

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#60 Old 07-04-2010, 03:48 AM
Banned

When people say they 'can't' be vegetarian it is usually just an excuse. No, not everyone can, but the majority of people can.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page