Vegetarianism and medicine - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-27-2010, 06:52 PM

Hello, I'm new to the board and I have a question. I've been a vegetarian for several years now. However, I always feel like I have a dirty little secret. I have a chronic medical problem that is easily treated with medication, but that medication is animal based. There is synthetic form that I was on for a long time but my body can't process it so it simply doesn't work for me. As a vegetarian I am very conflicted. I feel like I'm not a "real" vegetarian, but I do wish to stay alive. I'd like to get some thoughts on this issue.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-27-2010, 09:07 PM
Veggie Regular

If it is something you really need then I don't see it as a problem. One of the questions that people love to ask is "If you were starving to death would you eat an animal?" and my answer is yes. Self preservation is any beings number one goal. For most of us (in the "civilized" world) this is never a question we have to consider because we can live perfectly healthy lives without animals or animal products. However if you need the medicine to live then you need it, period. If you are not comfortable with the label of vegetarian because you take it then you can always get rid of the label, but you shouldn't feel bad about your choice to lead a healthy life. If you don't mind me asking what is the animal "base" of this medication?

i hear in my mind all of these voices
i hear in my mind all of these words
i hear in my mind all of this music
#3 Old 05-28-2010, 03:38 AM
Lifelong vegetarian

First lesson in nature: Stay alive.

My usual answer: I have never heard a convincing reason to eat meat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-28-2010, 03:42 AM
Beanitarian

Your situation is unfortunate but the choice is pretty clear IMO.

Beanitarian.
#5 Old 05-28-2010, 06:10 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm sorry you have to rely on medication, but I wouldn't feel guilty taking it. As has been pointed out, self-preservation is the main instinct of any species. You can't live a healthy, happy life and promote animals' wellbeing if you're ill!
#6 Old 05-28-2010, 06:30 AM
Banned

I'm curious, is this diabetes and pork/beef insulin? Ignore me if you don't want to discuss it

In any case, I'm a type 1 diabetic and take synthetic insulin. Would I take it if I couldn't use the synthetic one, and it had to be animal insulin? Never say never, but I highly doubt I'd refuse.
#7 Old 05-28-2010, 12:58 PM
Veggie Regular

I am ignorant about diabetes treatment and tried to find an answer to my question through google but couldn't find one. When you say pork/beef insulin are you saying that it's literally insulin obtained from a pig or cow? I would be very interested to know if this is a byproduct as in a "leftover" after the animal has been killed or what exactly.

i hear in my mind all of these voices
i hear in my mind all of these words
i hear in my mind all of this music
#8 Old 05-29-2010, 05:44 PM

I would take whatever was needed to stay healthy and alive if there wasnt a veggie alternative....you need to be well to help the animals.

peace
#9 Old 05-30-2010, 02:57 AM
Beginner

Take the medication. There's nothing you can do about it. You need the medication to stay healthy; it's really a no brainer.

I don't think anybody in their right mind would tell you not to take the medication.

Any veg*n that looks down on you for taking an animal based medication is a prat.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page