Eating Clean as a Vegetarian - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-10-2010, 09:58 AM
Veggie Regular

Do any of you eat clean? I am trying to start this, and its soo hard! I have difficulties making clean food taste good. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-10-2010, 10:05 AM
Veggie Regular

What? I have no idea what you mean aside from maybe washing veg and fruit before eating it?
#3 Old 05-10-2010, 10:08 AM
Herbivorous Urchin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilurvebroccoli View Post

Do any of you eat clean? I am trying to start this, and its soo hard! I have difficulties making clean food taste good. Any ideas?

er, what?

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-10-2010, 10:12 AM

Hopefully all of our food is clean. But I have a hunch that's not what you mean by clean. ...?
#5 Old 05-10-2010, 10:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollfie View Post

What? I have no idea what you mean aside from maybe washing veg and fruit before eating it?

Looks like yet another fad diet but this one seems to focus on eating whole foods, which is cool.

I would challenge the OP to instead focus on a raw diet. There are huge amounts of resources on how you can eat a raw food diet, stay healthy and eat tasty food. http://www.living-foods.com/recipes/
#6 Old 05-10-2010, 10:46 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Do any of you eat clean?

Huh? My sex life is none of your business.

m8itcanw8.com
#7 Old 05-10-2010, 10:53 AM
Veggie Regular

Oh you guys....

The op means nonprocessed and healthy.

Sillies.
#8 Old 05-10-2010, 11:13 AM

Why not just try eating a healthy, balanced diet?

I'm not sure what "clean" is exactly, but I'm guessing since you can't make it taste good then it's not just a normal healthy diet and possibly doesn't include fats/oils/spices/herbs/grains etc? If it does include them, then there's plenty of things you can make that taste good, I would imagine. (Soups, stews, chillis, cottage pies, curries, pilafs, nut/lentil loafs, stirfries w/rice etc.)

I hate the idea of calling food "clean" though. Food is food, not everything that's not 100% pure and unprocessed is evil, dirty crap....
#9 Old 05-10-2010, 11:30 AM
Veggie Regular

yeah, I eat clean. I'm 100% raw, high fruit low fat. no salt, oils, vinegars, sweeteners, bagged or processed items.
#10 Old 05-10-2010, 03:53 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

*hugs my vinegar and glares at you guys* Mine mine mine.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#11 Old 05-10-2010, 06:05 PM
Veggie Regular

I eat "clean" foods...that is part of the kosher food requirement

although the foods that need the differentiation are meats, so it's moot now anyway
#12 Old 05-11-2010, 11:03 AM
Veggie Regular

Eating clean....not a fad diet, just a healthier way of eating. Organic, no processed foods, not white flour, or white sugar. As close to the source as possible. A lot of athletes eat this way (hence why I'm switching my ways, I am a runner).
#13 Old 05-11-2010, 12:29 PM
Veggie Regular

hmm facinating - anything else you can share on the topic? We eat mostly organic - im working on converting the hubby to all whole wheat / whole grain like myself, BUT thats a process..

i would love more info on this topic tho if you care to share

http://haylieskitchen.blogspot.com/ (married to an omni so cooking from both spectrums)
#14 Old 05-11-2010, 01:42 PM
Beginner

Quote:

Eating clean....not a fad diet, just a healthier way of eating. Organic, no processed foods, not white flour, or white sugar. As close to the source as possible. A lot of athletes eat this way (hence why I'm switching my ways, I am a runner).

I am a runner too. Have you read Brendan Brazier's Thrive Diet (not sure that is the exact title). It's a quick read and has lot's of great tips and recipes. He has raw options as well.
#15 Old 05-11-2010, 07:23 PM
Beginner

You have to get some good recipes because although I do not make an attempt to "eat clean," much of the food I eat is mostly organic, not processed, and with no white flour or white sugar... and it's delicious! Pick up a good cookbook or two. And utilize those herbs/spices!
#16 Old 05-11-2010, 07:28 PM
Beginner

I can't say that I eat "clean", but I have noticed that I'm starting to like my vegetables more than other things. That is, I get excited about fruits and vegetables, which I think is a good "clean" thing.
#17 Old 05-11-2010, 08:01 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't think dried herbs and spices are part of eating clean.
#18 Old 05-14-2010, 01:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny79 View Post

I don't think dried herbs and spices are part of eating clean.

You can use spices, just most poeple try to keep it low sodium. Hence the reason why I cannot find good recipes.
#19 Old 05-14-2010, 01:55 PM
Ankle Biter

I have the cookbook Clean Food by Terry Walters. It's full of wonderful recipes and ideas.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#20 Old 05-14-2010, 03:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Hmm. I don't trust any diet plans that claim 'organic' as a way to eat healthier. Suggests there's little science in it.
#21 Old 05-14-2010, 05:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andromache View Post

Hmm. I don't trust any diet plans that claim 'organic' as a way to eat healthier. Suggests there's little science in it.

Do you really think pesticide is good for you?
#22 Old 05-15-2010, 01:12 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treehugger267 View Post

Do you really think pesticide is good for you?

No kidding, how is eating less chemicals NOT healthier? Plus organic just tastes a lot better.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#23 Old 05-15-2010, 01:30 PM
Veggie Regular

I need a large space when eating, because bits of processed vegetable matter covered in saliva will regularly shoot from my mouth to the table and people have reported they don't appreciate it when those bits land into their dinners. I also like to rub the food against my chest to feel its temperature. I get a better connection to the food in this way. But anyone would say that I eat pretty clean, especially when compared to a malfunctioning robot with rotating blades that is trying to consume a bowl of soup.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#24 Old 05-15-2010, 08:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

I need a large space when eating, because bits of processed vegetable matter covered in saliva will regularly shoot from my mouth to the table and people have reported they don't appreciate it when those bits land into their dinners. I also like to rub the food against my chest to feel its temperature. I get a better connection to the food in this way. But anyone would say that I eat pretty clean, especially when compared to a malfunctioning robot with rotating blades that is trying to consume a bowl of soup.

That was some image....lol.
#25 Old 05-16-2010, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

I think I love you a bit
#26 Old 05-16-2010, 05:03 PM
HNV
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

No kidding, how is eating less chemicals NOT healthier? Plus organic just tastes a lot better.

I don't necessarily buy into the whole organic food tastes better argument (Penn and Teller did an interesting episode on organic foods for their Bulls##t show). I buy organic and non-organic products based on price and what its prepared with (for example, I mainly buy organic beans, and olives since their in just salt and water and can be used as is). But produce from a grocery store is hit and miss, in both flavor and quality.

Where I notice the difference in taste and quality is through the Farmer's market and the CSA that I belong to. I don't attribute that to being an organic vs. non-organic thing, but more of a in-season and locally grown vs an out of season and transported from who knows where thing. My local co-op is also a bit of a hit and miss.

The worst sin toward our fellow creatures is not to hate them, but to be indifferent to them. That is the essence of humanity.
#27 Old 05-16-2010, 06:08 PM

Usually buy organic produce, except for lettuce. I use to buy organic lettuce and lo and behold, there were always little green bugs (aphids, I presume) all over it, not to mention their little turds. No amount of washing could erase that from my mind, so I prefer my lettuce to have lots of bug spray.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page