Soy bad...? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-29-2010, 05:37 PM

I have always loved tofu and soy milk and now I am reading that they are bad for us. I like the smart dogs and stuff like that too. This sucks. I just went to a cookout where there were veggie burgers and meat eaters and there was quite some discussion about the meat being "real" food from organic grass fed beef and veggie burgers being "fake" highly processed food and that soy based foods that are causing health problems and allergies...Is it really ONLY about "to eat, or not to eat animals?!" Can you be "healthy" and vegetarian?!?! If meat AND soy are out, where do you get protein? Almonds day in and day out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-29-2010, 05:41 PM
Arrrg! Me mateys.

Here is a good article about soy:

http://www.veganhealth.org/articles/soynorris

Near the bottom is a short list of veg*n protein sources:

http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/protein.htm

In short, no, soy is not bad.

korrakorrakorrakorrakorra
#3 Old 04-29-2010, 07:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Cows mussel and fat is just extraordinarily heavily processed grass/corn. That involves killing a cow. And anyways - grass fed or corn fed - they are all full of antiboitics.

Soy on the other hand can be heavily processed or it can be straight out of a pod. Some veggie burgers are nasty and some are as healthy as you can get. It just depends...

...And of course soy isn't the only place you get protein. Its an extremely good source of protein, but despite popular belief - lots and lots of green veggies are very high in protein - wheat gluten is also very high in protein.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-29-2010, 07:32 PM
Banned

soy doesn't seem to be any worse than anything else really, from what i can tell. i don't eat much of the really processed stuff- but i don't with other things either. i'm sure you'll be fine in moderation.
#5 Old 04-29-2010, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppet Master View Post

Here is a good article about soy:

http://www.veganhealth.org/articles/soynorris

Near the bottom is a short list of veg*n protein sources:

http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/protein.htm

In short, no, soy is not bad.

Thanks for the article. I'd heard that the studies, saying that soy is bad from you, were funded by the meat industry anyways.

Just a bunch of idiots trying to defend their "healthy" meat products I guess.
#6 Old 04-29-2010, 10:32 PM
Veggie Regular

I think this article helps clarify: http://www.naturalnews.com/027880_so...ucts_milk.html
#7 Old 04-30-2010, 07:59 AM
Banned

there's a lot of articles that says soy is bad ,... i want to read the book entitled "The Whole Soy Story" but its not in the our bookstore..
#8 Old 04-30-2010, 09:04 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezylala View Post

there's a lot of articles that says soy is bad ,... i want to read the book entitled "The Whole Soy Story" but its not in the our bookstore..

That book is rubbish. Here's a review: http://www.whale.to/a/whole_soy_story.html
#9 Old 04-30-2010, 09:23 AM
Veggie Regular

So many links to check out! Thanks to everyone for posting them... I have also recently heard that soy is not good for you, and it made me a bit uneasy considering I consume a good amount of it. What can I say -- I like a lot of that fake meat alternative stuff (Morningstar crumbles, bbq ribs... gardein products... ). I also love tofu! And I use soy milk occasionally. However, regardless of if it is good or bad for you (and I have a feeling it really isn't all that bad), I think the lesson to be learned is to search for other sources of protein aside from soy. Beans are very good for this, and they are so varied, too. Seitan is yummy, and so are nuts and seeds. Whole grains have a decent amount of protein in them too ya know! So bottom line, experiment with a wide variety of food sources and I think you'll be alright.
#10 Old 04-30-2010, 10:01 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFalafel View Post

That book is rubbish. Here's a review: http://www.whale.to/a/whole_soy_story.html

Thanks, there's a lot to read there if you follow his links. Count me amongst the "soy apologists". I've been eating it for years, decades even, long before I went vegetarian and I haven't noticed any ill effects. To look at it another way, eating meat proved far more harmful to my health than soy.
#11 Old 04-30-2010, 10:08 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodedclawjen View Post

soy doesn't seem to be any worse than anything else really, from what i can tell. i don't eat much of the really processed stuff- but i don't with other things either. i'm sure you'll be fine in moderation.

I think the keyword is moderation... Most things in life are necessary in moderation. Balance it.
#12 Old 04-30-2010, 11:20 AM

I have soy about once daily maximum. I view fake meats as transition items: most soy is heavily proccessed and not as healthy as good old fruits & veggies & nuts & grains. Try making veggie burgers at home with nuts or mushrooms or beans..there are tons of recipes. If you're doing soy yogurt, I would suggest a coconut yogurt instead. As for soymilk, there's rice milk, nut milk, hemp milk, coconut milk...

I wouldn't worry too much about protein. There's plenty of protein in lentils, beans, nuts, whole grains, seeds, fruits & veggies. But like others said, soy is fine in moderation.

Oh yeah: you might want to try Spirulina too. It's an algae that's high protein and contains b12. You can mix it in smoothies
#13 Old 05-01-2010, 05:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by madeleinegreen View Post

I wouldn't worry too much about protein. There's plenty of protein in lentils, beans, nuts, whole grains, seeds, fruits & veggies. But like others said, soy is fine in moderation.

I wouldn't worry about protein much either, but I'm not certain fruits and vegetables are a very good source of it... (fruits especially)
#14 Old 05-01-2010, 05:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Soy isn't bad for you. Highly processed soy products can be though, just like any other highly processed foods. It's best to eat the freshest stuff you can find, or if you're good in the kitchen, make it yourself.
#15 Old 05-01-2010, 10:11 PM
Veggie Regular

yeah, this is a tough issue. I don't really know who to trust on evaluations of soy. Vegan Freak Radio did a little research into two of the common claims (soy causing dementia and infertility in men) and blew both of them out of the water as being based on misleading articles or fallacious conclusions based on articles. There is a lot of irrational hate out there for soy (some people even calling it a "poison") that I really don't understand. Prevailing opinion among dietitians seems to be that it's good for you, and I trust that over a lot of this reactionary nonsense floating about. It's just frustrating and scary because these half truths and lies have made their way into public discourse and feeds into people prejudices about veg*ns being nutritionally deficient.
#16 Old 05-02-2010, 06:01 AM

I think that fruits/vegetables do contain a little protein, but yeah you're right not tons... What I was trying to say is that a balanced diet will provide adequate protein
#17 Old 05-02-2010, 08:17 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlainWinthrope View Post

It's just frustrating and scary because these half truths and lies have made their way into public discourse and feeds into people prejudices about veg*ns being nutritionally deficient.

+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by madeleinegreen View Post

What I was trying to say is that a balanced diet will provide adequate protein

Agreed.
#18 Old 05-02-2010, 06:33 PM
Super Moderator

There has been far more research into how bad meat is for people. All that's known about hot dogs and sausages- people still gooble it up! It's only if it sounds threatening that it becomes relevent.

I have a word for that:

Veganphobic!

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#19 Old 05-04-2010, 07:56 AM

hiya just to contribute; my friend the other day made a point that rainforests are being cut down in order to grow soy beans, is this true, because if it is then animals are losing their homes for the soya milk in my fridge
#20 Old 05-04-2010, 07:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparkyClaire View Post

hiya just to contribute; my friend the other day made a point that rainforests are being cut down in order to grow soy beans, is this true, because if it is then animals are losing their homes for the soya milk in my fridge

Another twisting of facts. The reality is 99% of the soy grown in rainforests is fed to cattle raised for beef. People need to remember that only a small amount of the soy grown around the world is used for human consumption with the majority going to feed animals raised for food.
#21 Old 05-04-2010, 08:10 AM

okies thank you i shall tell her that lol

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page