i'm sick of peanut butter - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-24-2010, 05:19 PM
Veggie Regular

i know there are some alternative butters i can get, but i'm not sure what's good or what is availabile- can you guys give me some ideas for butters to buy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-24-2010, 05:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Almond butter, cashew butter, sunflower seed butter and tahini [sesame seed butter] are all nut butters we keep on hand. They're all tasty, but of them we tend to use the almond butter the most.

My Vegan Food Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#3 Old 04-24-2010, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veganess View Post

Almond butter, cashew butter, sunflower seed butter and tahini [sesame seed butter] are all nut butters we keep on hand. They're all tasty, but of them we tend to use the almond butter the most.

exactly and I eat them all....but I have a love affair with creamy pb and nothing comes close to that.

peace
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-24-2010, 05:57 PM
Veggie Regular

thanks i'll look into those!
#5 Old 04-24-2010, 06:18 PM

Nothing beats a good peanut butter and marmite sandwich but do you really use a nut based butter instead of say sunflower spread? I couldn't imagine what it would taste like
#6 Old 04-24-2010, 07:04 PM
Veggie Regular

I've tasted peanut butter exactly once in my whole life. It was terrible, I don't understand why people consider it such a big deal. It tasted and felt like getting sawdust stuck in my throat.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#7 Old 04-24-2010, 07:33 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

I've tasted peanut butter exactly once in my whole life. It was terrible, I don't understand why people consider it such a big deal. It tasted and felt like getting sawdust stuck in my throat.

that is the statement of a mad man.
#8 Old 04-24-2010, 08:27 PM
Veggie Regular

I got a jar of almond butter to try it and I must say it is wonderful! Quite expensive but such a treat! Have you ever tried chocolate peanut butter?

"Women & cats will do as they please, & men & dogs should relax & get used to the idea." Robert Heinlein
#9 Old 04-24-2010, 08:35 PM

I fell in love with almond butter. In fact, I never really liked almonds until I became addicted to almond butter. Since then I haven't found an almond I haven't liked.

I like cashew butter also. I've heard tahini is good but I didn't know you could use it as a spread...I though tit was more for hummus.
#10 Old 04-25-2010, 03:07 AM

Quote:

I don't like it either, I always expect it to be sweet but its so thick and bitter. Yuk.

The only other nut butter I've been able to get hold of is Hazelnut butter which is yummy but I'd certainly try others if I could get hold of them. Might try making my own macadamia nut butter mmmmmmmmmmmm
#11 Old 04-25-2010, 09:52 AM

I tend to make my own nut butters. Pine nut butter being my favorite and Cashew coming in second. When buying peanut butter I make sure it doesn't contain any additives other than a little palm oil or sea salt.

Peanut butter shouldn't be a staple food, it's a treat. Unless you're bulking.
#12 Old 04-25-2010, 10:14 AM
Super Moderator

I love tahini mixed with miso!

I found a cheap p.b. called Krema that's nothing but peanuts. Really good stuff.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#13 Old 04-25-2010, 11:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Some creamy nut butter on warm toast is what gets me outta bed in the morning! Maranatha is my favorite brand, so far I really dig the organic creamy peanut butter and the organic raw creamy almond butter. Try the almond butter or cashew for something different. But I've also seen walnut, hazlenut, and pecan butter too.
#14 Old 04-25-2010, 11:43 PM
Veggie Regular

BLASPHEMY!!!!!!!!!!

peanut butter is amazing :-)

Granted, I'd like to try some other butters as well, but they're all more expensive :-(
#15 Old 04-26-2010, 09:18 AM
Veggie Regular

Being sick of peanut butter?

*Does not compute*

Apart from that, I have nothing to add.
#16 Old 04-26-2010, 10:37 AM

Peanut butter sold in the UK is very different from the typical kind available in grocery stores in the U.S. The kind readily available in The States tends to have salt, oil and sometimes sugar added to it, whereas in Europe it tends to be just ground roasted peanuts with no additives. Personally, I have come to prefer the kind with no added ingredients.

My nut butter of choice is raw almond butter, but it can be pricey. The best deal I have found is at Trader Joe's, which sells it for $4.99 for a standard sized jar. Most health food stores charge twice that.
#17 Old 04-26-2010, 11:02 AM
Veggie Regular

There's cashew butter and hazelnut butter. I've heard of soy nut butter but I don't know what's in that.
#18 Old 04-26-2010, 11:09 AM
Banned

just go with any nuts you like. cashew is good. haselnut aint bad either.
#19 Old 04-26-2010, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andromache View Post

There's cashew butter and hazelnut butter. I've heard of soy nut butter but I don't know what's in that.

Soy nuts, to my knowledge, are just dry roasted soybeans. I am not sure exactly the process used to make them, but they are sold as an alternative snack food to nuts. They can be ground up into a "nut" butter as well
#20 Old 04-26-2010, 06:23 PM
Beginner

Try the natural PBs if Peanut Butter hasn't done it for you. I love the Teddie Natural Chunky PB. Only one ingredient: Peanuts. (Hint: go with the unsalted, it's ssssoooo good!!!)
#21 Old 04-26-2010, 07:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerFoxx View Post

Peanut butter sold in the UK is very different from the typical kind available in grocery stores in the U.S. The kind readily available in The States tends to have salt, oil and sometimes sugar added to it, whereas in Europe it tends to be just ground roasted peanuts with no additives. Personally, I have come to prefer the kind with no added ingredients.

My nut butter of choice is raw almond butter, but it can be pricey. The best deal I have found is at Trader Joe's, which sells it for $4.99 for a standard sized jar. Most health food stores charge twice that.

Im sure that the U.S has both kinds,like we have in Canada.

I also buy with no added ingredients.

I love peanut butter and almond butter,but it is pretty expensive.
#22 Old 04-27-2010, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kill_uncle View Post

Im sure that the U.S has both kinds,like we have in Canada.

I also buy with no added ingredients.

I love peanut butter and almond butter,but it is pretty expensive.

Yes we do have both kinds, but most the big name brands people over here would be familiar with are more than just plain peanuts.

Another suggestion, if you get bored with plain PB is to try one of the flavours sold by this brand:

http://ilovepeanutbutter.com/index.p...ut-butter.html

They're delightful
#23 Old 04-27-2010, 05:50 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerFoxx View Post

Another suggestion, if you get bored with plain PB is to try one of the flavours sold by this brand:

http://ilovepeanutbutter.com/index.p...ut-butter.html

They're delightful

They really are like the crack of all peanut butters.
#24 Old 04-27-2010, 07:59 AM
Beginner

Somehow I didn't like peanut butter right from the begining but I'm a huge fan of actual peanuts. So when I tasted almond butter I was so thrilled that I liked it so much. But like many others have mentioned it is quite expensive. So try making it at home when you get almonds on sale.
#25 Old 04-27-2010, 08:12 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

+1

"Hell exists not to punish sinners, but to ensure that nobody sins in the first place."
#26 Old 04-27-2010, 09:08 AM
Ankle Biter

<<< another almond butter addict. I like Marantha brand. I prefer roasted, with a bit of sea salt over raw, but don't ever, EVER get the no-stir variety. It is too amazing (sweetened and salted), and should be considered too addictive to be sold without a doctor's script.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#27 Old 04-27-2010, 01:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhuram View Post

Somehow I didn't like peanut butter right from the begining but I'm a huge fan of actual peanuts. So when I tasted almond butter I was so thrilled that I liked it so much. But like many others have mentioned it is quite expensive. So try making it at home when you get almonds on sale.

I would love to do that. I've tried samples of almond butter before at stores, but it's far too expensive for me. Is it possible to make your own almond butter without a food processor? I really, really hope so. *crosses fingers*
#28 Old 04-27-2010, 02:49 PM
Beginner

Yes you can definitely make it with a food processor. Try this recipe:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Almond-Butter/Detail.aspx
#29 Old 04-27-2010, 05:34 PM
Veggie Regular

If you want to only alter the taste a little you could mix PB with chocolate-hazelnut spread (not Nutella though, it's not veggie).

"If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -Sirius Black
#30 Old 04-27-2010, 05:38 PM
Banned

Butters Stotch.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page