Vegetarian Poll - VeggieBoards
View Poll Results: Vegetarian poll-What animal foods do you consume?
I sometimes eat fish or chicken and their products 0 0%
I only eat eggs and/or dairy 1 100.00%
I only eat eggs and/or dairy if baking 0 0%
I only have stock or broth, like chicken or beef 0 0%
I don't eat any of the above because I am a vegan 0 0%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-19-2004, 04:27 PM

Hello, I am new here and a culinary student who has a lot of research to do on vegetarianism so I hope some of you can help. I would like to know what categories you fall into and use it in a paper.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-19-2004, 04:48 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't consume meat,fish, poultry, or eggs, or recipes that use any of these ingredients.

If you are thinking of opening a vegetarian restaurant, don't use any meat, fish, poultry, or derivatives like stock or gelatin, as they are not considered vegetarian. Or have symbols on the menu for the vegetarian/vegan items. Hope I helped!
#3 Old 01-19-2004, 05:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntelligentidiot View Post

Or have symbols on the menu for the vegetarian/vegan items. Hope I helped!

I would love it if resturants had a symbol for vegan items!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-19-2004, 05:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adams View Post

*agrees wholeheartedly*
#5 Old 01-19-2004, 05:31 PM
Veggie Regular

I completely agree with Ntelligentidiot. Vegetarian means no chicken broth or beef broth in rice, soup etc. Oyster sauce is another one that is out. Cesar salad dressing should not contain anchoives. I also don't eat any gelatin. I think the key to getting along with veg*ns is just being honest about what is what and not tryin to 'trick' us into eating anything. I think that is enough of an introduction to vegetarianism for today!
#6 Old 01-19-2004, 07:24 PM

Thank you all for participating. According to the poll results so far, a great number of you are vegan. And from posts I've read there are those who used to be a regular vegetarian but then turned to vegan. I'd be interested in knowing why and how it happened. Do you find food to be limiting or creative? Silly me for putting the chicken and fish options up there but I know people who say they are vegetarian but will still eat that.
#7 Old 01-19-2004, 07:27 PM
Veggie Regular

I voted only eggs and/or dairy. I do not use eggs or dairy in my own cooking and avoid it when possible, but sometimes eat pre-made or pre-packaged foods in stores or at friends or relatives' houses.
#8 Old 01-19-2004, 07:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spicy Chef View Post

Thank you all for participating. According to the poll results so far, a great number of you are vegan. And from posts I've read there are those who used to be a regular vegetarian but then turned to vegan. I'd be interested in knowing why and how it happened. Do you find food to be limiting or creative? Silly me for putting the chicken and fish options up there but I know people who say they are vegetarian but will still eat that.

dont worry--on these boards most of us are aware that there are people that call themselves vegetarian, yet still eat certain things that, by definition, vegetarians do not eat. spread the word!! are you a vegetarian? sorry if you already said it--i can miss a lot!!!

i do not in any way find my vegan diet to be limiting--quite the opposite. i find myself quite impressed with new foods on a constant basis. my diet is far more varied than most omni diets. most omnis i know have never heard of soooo many things that i eat and enjoy on a regular basis. i was much more limited in my views of food whn i was not veg. hope any of it helps and good luck!!!
#9 Old 01-19-2004, 07:46 PM

WHOOPS!!!

Don't count the vote for "I only have stock or broth, like chicken or beef "

Who knows what I was thinking when I clicked that...

Because I DONT eat those things.
#10 Old 01-19-2004, 07:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by smedley View Post

i do not in any way find my vegan diet to be limiting--quite the opposite. i find myself quite impressed with new foods on a constant basis. my diet is far more varied than most omni diets. most omnis i know have never heard of soooo many things that i eat and enjoy on a regular basis. i was much more limited in my views of food whn i was not veg. hope any of it helps and good luck!!!

That is sooooo ditto for me too!
#11 Old 01-19-2004, 07:54 PM
Banned

Quote:

The "why" for going vegan instead of vegetarian has to do with the healthiness of a vegan diet, not supporting animal cruelty in any fashion, and extending your beliefs to every aspect of your life, especially with regard to clothing, and also choosing more environmentally-safe products, as the companies who do not test on animals nor use animal products usually are concerned about the toxicity and biodegradability of their lines. What's not to like about that choice?

The "how" is easy, in my opinion. Avoid all animal products and byproducts. Do you need a list or anything? We'll all be happy to help! (Well, most of us.)
#12 Old 01-19-2004, 08:21 PM
Veggie Regular

I dont' find being a vegetarian limiting at all. It's broadened my idea of what I consider a meal. Before it was meat, starch, a vegetable. Now, instead of eating big meals, I graze throughout the day. I find this a very easy way to get in more fruits and veggies. I've made a point of eating trying one new vegetable or fruit a weak. The awesome thing about tofu is that it is so versatile. Soups and salads have endless possibilities.
#13 Old 01-19-2004, 10:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Agreeing w/ previous posts, going vegan has introduced me to so many interesting and wonderful foods that I would have not otherwise tried. I also eat many more fruits and vegetables. The only time that it is annoying is when I am at restaurants, then it can be very limiting, so I don't go very often, or I try to convince whoever I am going with to go somewhere veg*n!
#14 Old 01-19-2004, 11:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adams View Post

The vegetarian restaurant here in Boise does label their Vegan menu items, which I love. I wish all restaurants did that; sure would make it easier on the wait staff.

I don't find my Vegan diet to be limiting at all. I have discovered a whole new world of food, and I cook something yummy and different virtually every day. Before I went veg., I think my husband and I rotated about six or seven meals (i.e. steak and beef flavored Rice-a-Roni; lemon pepper chicken and stuffing, pork chops and mashed potatoes, pot roast) with an occasional new recipe thrown in maybe once a month. Right now, I've probably got about 15 or 20 different meals packaged in the freezer (I love my Food Saver), and I've tried hundreds of different recipes since going veg.

Now that I have a well-stocked pantry, I also find that it is really much less expensive to cook Vegan, provided you don't buy a ton of pre-packaged meat replacements like Gardenburger meatloaf all the time.
#15 Old 01-19-2004, 11:45 PM
Veggie Regular

i voted im vegan.

I agree with a lot of the ppeople here, since turning veg i have found i have much more variety, and it gives me lots of room to be creative in what i eat. I have noticed my parents have the same basic meals over and over, like for the past week they have had chicken 4 out of 7 nights... while i find a new way to have something, and have many new, interesting and different things. I think it would be great to have labels in a restaurant as to which items are vegan and wich are not.

*total side note* my mom said i should open up a vegan restauraunt today! i make all of my meals myself, everything and i make a lot of different things, and i think that would be a great way to get that into our community. so if you are thinkning of opening a veg restraunt, vegas would be a great place, because there are only about 3 that are even vegetarian friendly, i know i would visit!
#16 Old 01-20-2004, 12:54 AM
Veggie Regular

Ditto what other people have said about the versatility and variety of a vegan diet. It's easy and fun at home, but can be frustrating when eating out, especially since I also don't eat refined flour and sugar. If only one day someone would open up a vegan whole foods restaurant here just for me!

As for the reasons: animal rights, health and taste preferences.
#17 Old 01-20-2004, 12:56 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Do you find food to be limiting or creative?

I think just the opposite. I eat such a variety of things that most meat eaters will never try. You probably understand this being a culinary student, but so many recipes from other cuisines (mainly indian, middle eastern, asian and pacific islanders) are vegetarian and incorporate things like vegetables, tofu and tempeh into every meal. Most meat eaters are afraid of vegetables! They won't try new things, especially ethnic dishes that are vegetable based.

In our meat centered culture, we tend to forget about others around the world that exclude animal products for religous reasons or that can't eat meat because it is too costly. Most of the world uses rice, beans and veggies as staples.

Please also remember that someone that doesn't eat meat, doesn't eat meat. That means any way in any form. And veg*ns do their homework! we know more "hidden" animal products than you will ever learn in school.

Check out a book called Animal Products: A-Z i think you will be very suprised. They sell it on Amazon.com

Also, I don't know if anyone mentioned this, but vegans also don't consume honey. And in most countries, sugar is refined with bone char, so that is also not consumed. That means making dessert with fruit jiuce, mollases or maple syrup.

There is such a market for vegan food and noone wants to address it. I am not sure if it is simply overlooked or perhaps seen as being too hard to satisfy.
#18 Old 01-20-2004, 03:28 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

According to the poll results so far, a great number of you are vegan. And from posts I've read there are those who used to be a regular vegetarian but then turned to vegan. I'd be interested in knowing why and how it happened.

I'm vegan now, after about 12 years of vegetarianism. I changed due to a gradual realisation of the dairy industry and feeling that I was still contributing directly to animal cruelty this was way and that if it's possible (and healthy!)to live without the use of animals, that it's the way for me. As for how, I started doing a lot of nutritional research and when I went back to uni one summer, I just went vegan - no gradual phasing it in.

Quote:

Do you find food to be limiting or creative?

I enjoy food much more now! I really enjoy cooking and I guess I am creative with cooking all different kinds of food, mostly because I don't eat ready meals or macaroni cheese anymore. I've had to learn and experiment and I love it! I eat much more healthily now and I also think I know a lot more about nutrition. The only time it's limiting is when eating out. Luckily I live in a place where there are a lot of vegetarian restaurants, so I normally go there. I don't often go to omnivorous restaurants, mostly because of bad experiences trying to get fed by them in the past.
#19 Old 01-20-2004, 05:16 AM

Quote:

Hello, I am new here and a culinary student who has a lot of research to do on vegetarianism so I hope some of you can help. I would like to know what categories you fall into and use it in a paper.

Only animal rennent free dairy products in moderate amounts for me.
#20 Old 01-20-2004, 10:14 AM
Veggie Regular

I also voted vegan... cuz that's what I am. *grin*

I think a vegetarian/vegan restaurant would rock. Labelling things vegan is pretty easy as long as you know what's in it. At a friend's party, she labelled vegetarian things (egg or cheese, as the vegetarian there was lacto ovo) with one leaf... and vegan things with two. Very simple and easy.

You could do something like what Baskin Robins ice cream does.. they have a symbol for milk, one for egg, one for wheat, etc. It's a bit more time consuming but with all the allergies or people avoiding things for a variety of reasons, it's a good idea I think. If you offer wheat alternatives (like use rice flour in some things) labelling the wheat products would definately be a good idea!

I wish all restaurants labelled what was vegetarian and vegan. Too often things look and sound vegan and then come with cheese that wasn't listed on the menu. That annoys me so much. Or things like fish/oyster sauce, or meat stock.

I severely wish we could make people understand that meat stock is NOT vegetarian. I'm so sick of ordering vegetarian rice with chicken stock in it. *sigh*

Glad to see that you're actually making an effort to make sure you don't do these things It gives me hope for the world!! ^_^
#21 Old 01-20-2004, 10:23 AM

i only eat eggs/dairy, no meat at all.
#22 Old 01-20-2004, 10:38 AM
Veggie Regular

i'm sure that this has been mentioned before, so i'll reiterate it. Vegetarians do not consume chicken or fish, or stock from animal bodies. Essentially, they do not consume animal flesh, or products that come from their flesh.

Some vegetarians consume dairy and eggs. Some consume honey.

I do not consume any animal products, and if i discovered that a "vegetarian" advertised soup contained beef, fish, or chicken stock, i'd have more than a few words with the chef and the manager of the place. Not only that, i would be sick for most of the evening, if not for a few days.

i find food to be very creative--and omni, meat-based diets to be very limited. I eat more fruits and veggies in interesting combinations than most people i know. my husband and i consume 15-20 servings of fruit and 25-28 servings of veggies in one day. we consume much smaller amounts of grains and legumes (probably 10 or so servings a day). our whole diet is based in fruits and veggies, and we're always trying new stuff, and in new combinations.
#23 Old 01-20-2004, 11:31 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebird View Post

my husband and i consume 15-20 servings of fruit and 25-28 servings of veggies in one day.

wow Zoebird, your toilet must see a lot of action

I'm basically eggs and dairy, although I'm currently not drinking milk.

m8itcanw8.com
#24 Old 01-20-2004, 01:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by christy13 View Post

I voted only eggs and/or dairy. I do not use eggs or dairy in my own cooking and avoid it when possible, but sometimes eat pre-made or pre-packaged foods in stores or at friends or relatives' houses.

Same with me! I eat sometimes pizza, which has cheese on it, but try to get alternatives (like a pasta primavera).

If I'm not answering quickly enough - leave a note on Twitter for @Rheumatologe
#25 Old 01-20-2004, 01:19 PM

Everyone thank you so much for all your voting and answering my questions. I don't mean to be annoying and ask the same things you're probably blue in the face talking about, but this is really helping me learn. I knew virtually nothing about vegetariansim and just from this message board Im going to be able to write and awesome paper. I also checked the recipe section and there are many of you who seem like great chefs!
#26 Old 01-20-2004, 01:38 PM
Veggie Regular

I think it's great that you are doing this research, Spicy Chef!

Someone mentioned rennet -- agreed, it's important to watch out for cheeses with animal-derived rennet.

Good luck with your paper.
#27 Old 01-20-2004, 01:43 PM
Banned

One resturaunt locally has a really nice little paragraph on the menu. "Many items can be made vegetarian or vegan." Another omnivore-friendly option is to have everything meatless by default with the choice to add chicken or beef.
#28 Old 01-20-2004, 03:38 PM
Beginner

Lacto ovo here. Spicy Chef, good luck mate.
#29 Old 01-20-2004, 05:22 PM
Administrator

I should probably mention, just in case you dont' know, these numbers would not be representative of the general population. I would think there are much fewer vegans. I'm sure there are numbers somewhere to back that up, I don't know where they are right off the top of my head.

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#30 Old 01-20-2004, 05:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Pixelle:

uhm. well, to get really technical, two bowel movements a day for me; and hubby has three (he said). urine is another issue--as i do drink a lot of water.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page