Can vegetarians eat fish eggs (ie:caviar)? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-10-2010, 10:13 PM
Veggie Regular

I was at a buffet which had sushi earlier today, and a friend of mine asked if I could have the fish egg sushi. I honestly don't know. I have no desire to in the first place, but the question stands. Are fish eggs considered vegetarian? What are your thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-10-2010, 10:21 PM
Veggie Regular

They kill the fish and take the eggs from inside its body, so I'd say they're not vegetarian.
#3 Old 04-10-2010, 10:24 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't consider caviar to be vegetarian because they came out a fish. Which is strange, because I eat eggs, and eggs are generally considered vegetarian, and they came out of chickens. It's a little confusing, I know. My recommendation: If you're not sure, just avoid it.

My sister once bought vegan caviar made out of seaweed. Since I never liked (real) caviar in the first place, I didn't much care for this stuff, either. I don't remember the name on the jar, but I think she found it at Whole Foods, for anyone who is interested.

*this space not for sale*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-10-2010, 10:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joan Kennedy View Post

They kill the fish and take the eggs from inside its body, so I'd say they're not vegetarian.

Oh my! I wasn't aware of the methods used to get fish eggs. I agree with you, they are not vegetarian.
#5 Old 04-11-2010, 01:28 AM
lea

Chicken eggs are vegetarian as we don't kill the hen (I have mine from a local farmer whose hens are running in the grass). It's because I know the hens are living this way I buy and eat these eggs. But for fish eggs the fish is killed. So no I wouldn't consider those as vegetarian.
#6 Old 04-11-2010, 01:29 AM
Veggie Regular

Well I've tried them and they taste gross, so either way, I'm not going to eat them.
#7 Old 04-11-2010, 04:03 AM
Veggie Regular

I was wondering this a while ago... I didn't know how they got the fish eggs though. That's definitely not vegetarian.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#8 Old 04-11-2010, 04:16 AM
Veggie Regular

Yuck!!!! The only Eggs I eat are out of a Hen that was raised properly but, fish eggs that is totally wrong.
#9 Old 04-11-2010, 05:54 AM
Veggie Regular

There are ways to harvest fish eggs without killing the fish, but usage of such measures is extremely rare, FWIR.
#10 Old 04-11-2010, 06:00 AM
Veggie Regular

I enjoyed sushi when I was still eating meat, and found myself missing it lately. It turns out that avocado, tofu and cucumber make a really palatable maki roll. The seaweed wrapper even imparts a hint of fishy taste, and with all the condiments, I don't miss the raw fish at all. The building where I work has a pay-by-the-pound cafeteria, and when I get there at just the right time, the woman who makes sushi will put together a couple of custom rolls for me. And by watching her and watching a couple of youtube videos, it turned out to be fairly simple to make at home. Last Sunday I made up five rolls and brought them as hors d'oeuvres for my family at Easter. They got snapped up so quickly, and everyone (mostly omnis) was raving, that I wished I'd brought more.
#11 Old 04-11-2010, 06:07 AM
Veggie Regular

The sushi counter at our local (high-end healthy foods supermarket) very often now offers a "veggie friendly" box, essentially subbing in marinated tofu for the fish.
#12 Old 04-11-2010, 08:12 AM

Wow, I had no idea what caviar even was, I just knew it wasn't vegetarian. So gross...
#13 Old 04-11-2010, 08:20 AM
Banned

Pseudo-vegetarians are self-indulgent.

Stop beating around the bush and get to a really higher plain.

GO VEGAN!
#14 Old 04-11-2010, 09:07 AM
Veggie Regular

Pseudo vegetarians? Perhaps you'd be more comfortable in the vegan forum.

The opposite of war isn't peace. It's creation!
#15 Old 04-11-2010, 09:12 AM
Veggie Regular

I never was a fan of sea food anyway. I have always considered it gross haha well I wonder people do not eat really undeveloped human beings, it is meat anyway.
#16 Old 04-11-2010, 11:31 AM
Veggie Regular

For me it would be an easy "no", don't eat eggs. Don't eat seafood.

Have you decided how you feel about both?
#17 Old 04-11-2010, 12:08 PM

caviar is a such a bunch of horrible, posey bull**** imo. ive got memories of my parents serving it at dinner parties when i was a teenager. blegh.
#18 Old 04-11-2010, 08:30 PM
Beginner

Aw, so much caviar hate. Perhaps it's because my family is Russian but I grew up on red caviar and loved it. Alas, it is not vegetarian and DEFINITELY not vegan. Maybe I'll try that mock-caviar...
#19 Old 04-12-2010, 03:25 AM
Beginner

Quote:

Dairy cows cows and egg-laying hens are slaughtered, are they not? Their products are considered vegetarian.
#20 Old 04-12-2010, 03:57 AM
Veggie Regular

Errhh, might those who say that fish eggs are not vegetarian care for an explanation?

What's the major difference or is it just a case of denial again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjod86 View Post

Dairy cows cows and egg-laying hens are slaughtered, are they not? Their products are considered vegetarian.

+1

"Hell exists not to punish sinners, but to ensure that nobody sins in the first place."
#21 Old 04-12-2010, 03:58 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

The critical aspect is whether the harvesting of foodstuff is proximate cause of death/pain/etc. In the case of milk and eggs, it is not. Indeed, you cannot milk a dead cow, or get eggs from a dead hen. On my wife's family farm, there was always great concern for the on-going well-being of the dairy cows and egg-laying hens. There was never any thought about them as slaughter animals.
#22 Old 04-12-2010, 04:08 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker View Post

The critical aspect is whether the harvesting of foodstuff is proximate cause of death/pain/etc. In the case of milk and eggs, it is not. Indeed, you cannot milk a dead cow, or get eggs from a dead hen. On my wife's family farm, there was always great concern for the on-going well-being of the dairy cows and egg-laying hens. There was never any thought about them as slaughter animals.

Understood, but my guess is that the majority of lacto-ovo vegetarians are not getting their egg and dairy products from sources that treat the animals as well as your wife's family.
#23 Old 04-12-2010, 04:19 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Understood, but my guess is that the majority of lacto-ovo vegetarians are not getting their egg and dairy products from sources that treat the animals as well as your wife's family.

Perhaps, but the point is that they're not killing the animals in order to get the milk or eggs. This is a vegetarian discussion forum, not a vegan forum, and the vast majority of vegetarians who are not vegans consider the eating of dairy and eggs acceptable.
#24 Old 04-16-2010, 08:07 PM

I just recently went to a Chinese buffet and my boyfriend picked out some veggie sushi for me, but it was covered in little red fish eggs. I told him that I couldn't eat that, and he said that they use 'fake caviar', has anyone ever heard of such a thing?
#25 Old 04-16-2010, 09:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Yes, I've heard of fake caviar. I would recommend asking the restaurant just in case, but China is known for its fake animal products. Some of them are frighteningly realistic.
#26 Old 04-16-2010, 09:50 PM
Banned

It all depends on which ocean or lake the caviar comes from. In deeep lakes the issue becomes more a question of time and your trade-off between what you know and your moral judgment.

For example, say "sevrugalem" and you will get many different opinions from different advocates.

My advice, for what it is worth, is to go "more pointed" than you would on other issues, but not too much.

Good luck!
#27 Old 04-17-2010, 11:06 PM

Quote:

exactly!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page