Please, I need encouragement. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-27-2010, 03:25 PM
Veggie Regular

I became a vegetarian in february 2009. And I was fine until february this year. Then I started craving meat and fish soooooo badly. (I had been sick several times in the previous 2 months, with 2 throat-strep infections, massive stress regarding a totally different subject etc.) So I caved. For about a month I eat vegetarian some days, and meat/fish some days.

I gave up meat/fish in the beginning because of health. I have a lot of problems with my digestion etc. and felt that meat made me worse. And I got better. But not much. So after a year it felt really discouraging to still have lots of pain, lots of problems with digestion etc. But, eating meat only made things worse. And even more importatnly, it made me feel really LOUSY! I KNOW that eating meat/fish is wrong for me. I know this. In every discussion online (I am the administrator of 2 Norwegian messageboards) I always, always instinctivly side with the ones arguing that vegetarianism is "the right thing", and it just feels right in my heart. But why is it so hard to stick to, when stressed, sick etc?

How can I ensure that this doesn`t happen again? I don`t want it to!! Can anyone give me advice, tell me WHY vegetarian is the best etc? I just need to hear it from you, the only vegetarians "I know"...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-27-2010, 03:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Don't beat yourself up for slipping up. It happens. The important thing is that you are willing to give vegetarianism another go! Congrats!

Maybe to prevent slip ups when you are sick is so have some pre-made soup/meals ready in the freezer. When I'm sick I don't feel like cooking and crave "homey" feeling foods. So you could make a big pot of soup or shepherds pie and then freeze it in portions so that you can jut easily heat them up and eat!
#3 Old 03-27-2010, 03:43 PM
Banned

Aww, I'm sorry you and your health have had a hard time lately.

When we're sick we crave comfort foods, usually food from our omni childhoods that made us feel warm and comfortable and full. We also need additional protein during illness, and sometimes psychologically we still see meat as the only good source of protein. So it's quite natural to crave meat at times like that and doesn't make you a bad vegetarian or anything like that.

I think what I would do is compile a list of vegetarian recipes that are filling, high in protein and are 'comfort foods' for you. Perhaps think about what type of meat/fish dishes you were craving during your illness and try to adapt them with a vegetarian protein source. Then next time you're ill you'll have a list of recipes to fall back on that will meet your psychological and physiological needs.

Also, depending on the type of person you are, perhaps get a copy of the China Study and read bits when you're feeling ill? It'll remind you how much better veg*n food is for your health.

And don't forget to post here when you feel lousy and we can try and cheer you up and encourage you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-27-2010, 03:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I sooo ned this. And I think you are right. I was craving comfort-food. AND I was insanely hungry all the time, since I had eaten very little because of the strep. Thank you!!
#5 Old 03-27-2010, 04:37 PM
Veggie Regular

It sure is all about the comfort food. Warm, filling, familiar meals. Soup is always good. Thick pumpkin soup, or mixed vegetables. Simple things like beans on toast work too. And don't forget the sweet foods. Apple crumble is a winner.

I hope your health improves for you soon and good luck with sticking to vegetarianism. It really is such a good choice for health, and animals, and the environment!
#6 Old 03-27-2010, 05:21 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm sorry that you've been doing poorly... lousy health always sucks :-(

But I agree with MJVeggie... the important thing is that you want to climb back on the wagon!

Veg*n is better because it doesn't require innocent, feeling, living, breathing beings to be killed for your nourishment. It is more nourishing and (I believe) more satisfying than a meat-based diet. You are living by the golden rule when you live as a veg*n... I definitely wouldn't want people to do unto me what's done unto the poor animals used for food! It is better for the environment; if you read up on how ridiculously many resources have to be poured into the meat industries in order to produce a few pounds of beef, it's both eye-opening and frightening.

I also second the votes for comfort food! Think of the foods you are most craving, and see if there's a veg dish that's similar. If you're craving shepherd's pie, for example, it's quite easy to make it without meat and just add some extra veggies in. And if you're really craving meat, you can always try a meat substitute. I haven't really tried any yet (except for a veg. burger or two), so i can't voice any opinion on how they taste, but I know a lot of people really, really enjoy them.
#7 Old 03-28-2010, 01:55 AM
Veggie Regular

Thanks again I can feel the determination (hmm, is that the right word??) comes crawling back. One of the things I found hardest, was that my son (almost 9YO) is NOT vegetarian, and that means that I have to cook different things for us some days. Totally ok normally, but that`s what got me when I was sick. The temptation doesn`t bother me when I am feeling good, but it was hell when I was sick and sooooo hungry. Hopefully I won`t be sick for a while, and that gives me time to think out an emergency plan for the next time I find myself hungry, sick and tempted. Thanks!!
#8 Old 03-28-2010, 03:39 AM
Veggie Regular

Would it not be ok for him to eat vegetarian with you? Even maybe half the time? Perhaps he could have meat if he wants at school, then eat a vegetarian dinner? It certainly wouldn't be bad for him, so unless there's some reason for him to not go veg?
#9 Old 03-28-2010, 05:04 AM
Veggie Regular

He doesn`t want to go veg. And I accept that. He eats vegetarian some of the time, though. He was almost 8 years old when I went veg, and it just isn`t an option for me to force him to become something he doesn`t want to be. It took me almost 36 years to get to the point where vegetarian was something I wanted to be, and I will let him have the option to decide for himself when and if he wants to stop eating meat/fish. (We homeschool, so no school, by the way.)
#10 Old 03-28-2010, 05:41 AM
Veggie Regular

I agree w/ the other posters, there's something about the foods that we grew up that we crave when we are sick or down. We need comforting right then and those memories feel like warms hugs. That said, I think being prepared before we are ill is the way to go. Have suitable foods that mimic those from your childhood. Example: When I'm feeling down my mind goes to my mom's meatloaf and mashed potatoes and gravy or swedish meatballs...mmmm. I can easily make that veggie w/ a veggie burger and a can of mushroom gravy over it and my potatoes (not a health meal obviously..lol but those memories just are what they are, aren't they?) Keep your comfy foods handy for those times that you need them, think of them as your emergency kit.

I'm a veggie mom living with a nonveggie family. My family does go along with what I cook. I'm a little bit stubborn in this area, not that I hold all out protests or anything BUT if I'm cooking, I'm choosing what will be cooked. I make sure everyone at least likes what I'm making and may make some adjustments along those lines, but I figure that I'm the mom and will serve what's "healthy" most of the time. I learned a while back that asking everyone what they wanted for dinner was causing me to run circles in the kitchen. So now if I ask, I choose a style or country (italian, mexican, junk food fest on a Friday night..etc) I have learned to make veggie foods delicious and fun. All but my little guy, "the food critic" raves about it. I have to use the mommy card on the little one sometimes or he would NEVER eat a fruit or vegetable. Remember, you are setting up future memories for your little guy right now, what will his "comfy food" memories be when he grows up and doesn't feel well?
#11 Old 03-28-2010, 06:04 AM
Veggie Regular

Thakns for helping me feel more determined. The discussion about my son is not one I am willing to change my mind in, however. He eats heatlhy most of the time. I do not think that vegetarian is the only healthy option out there. He eats meat, but it is MEAT not fastfood, not a junkproduct, not hot dogs or chicken nuggets. It`s pure meat, and in 95% of the time it is turkey or chicken filets. The rest of the meal we share. Lots of veggies, ww pasta etc. I want him to remember me respecting his choices, just as I want him to respect mine. I would absolutely NOT have done it this way if I went veg when he wa a baby/not born. But he was 8 years old. To me, that`s a very different story.

I have no problem with him choosing the food he choses. I live by example, not by force.
#12 Old 03-28-2010, 06:19 AM
Veggie Regular

Didn't mean to offend, sorry. I occasionally cook meats for my kids too, I just have been adding more and more veggies meals into the rotation. I wasn't questioning whether you were a good mom or making good memories, and certainly not accusing of serving junk things (we do on fun Friday, but that's just us).

Good luck, I'm sure it will work out great for both of you.
#13 Old 03-28-2010, 11:11 AM
Veggie Regular

No, no!! I wasn`t offended! I just wanted to say that I am pretty secure in my descision to let him decide for himself. (I still decide a lot of what we eat, just not if he should eat meat or not, YK?) We also eat junk sometimes, but not everyday. I absolutely didn`t take offense, I promise. (Man, my english sucks sometimes. Sometimes I find it hard to write in a way that is a reflection of my feelings. )
#14 Old 03-28-2010, 04:21 PM
Veggie Regular

No worries...It was most probably me. It was one of those days... ((Hugs))

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page