nutritional yeast question - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-21-2010, 08:57 PM
Beginner

Hey everyone, so I just bought some nutritional yeast a few days ago and I've been sprinkling it on a meal or two a day but the percentages of the vitamins and such it has are so high that I'm worried about consuming too much but then I think I might not be eating enough of it! So my question is how much should I be eating? I don't really measure it out or anything, just kind of sprinkle a little on whatever I'm eating. Sorry if this is a silly question, but I don't want to hurt my body by having too little or too much of anything, thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-21-2010, 09:02 PM
Beginner

Try putting in soups and gravys. It isn't meant to be a supplement as a vitamin pill would be.
#3 Old 03-21-2010, 10:57 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm not really sure as I've heard both opinions (that too much is bad and that it would take a lot to get too much) but I would guess that if you are just sprinkling it on things you wouldn't be consuming a whole lot at one time so it should probably be fine to continue using it the way you have been.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-21-2010, 11:43 PM
Veggie Regular

B vitamins are peed out if you take too much as they are water-soluble. So you can't take too much or O/D.

B vitamins are also found in other foods within your diet I am sure, so sprinkle away as it probably is 'topping up' what you are already consuming.
#5 Old 03-22-2010, 02:40 PM
Veggie Regular

you said "should be eating" as if you have to have nutritional yeast. i am happy without it. it's salty, dried, and less tasty than fresh fruit and vegetables to me.
#6 Old 03-22-2010, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegluv View Post

... It isn't meant to be a supplement as a vitamin pill would be.

I agree. I am not sure that is what you meant, but it sounds to me like you are using it for the wrong reasons. If it is B12 that you are worried about, then I would stress eating/drinking things fortified with it or taking a vegan vitamin (most have B12). Also, not all types of nutritional yeast have B12. I believe (if I am wrong someone will correct me ) that if it is exposed to light the B12 dies.

Also, B vitamins are water soluble, as Alicia Avocado said, and will leave the body through urine. (Your urine may be BRIGHT yellow, almost glow in the dark after eating it. Don't worry.)
#7 Old 03-22-2010, 04:13 PM
Beginner

i haven't really been using it like a vitamin, i just wanted to make sure i wasn't eating too much because i don't think i've ever seen nutritional percentages that high haha, doesn't sound like i could though haha, thanks!
#8 Old 03-22-2010, 04:48 PM
Veggie Regular

I eat it in large quantities all the time. NOTHING to worry about. I promise!

Nec Aspera Terrent
#9 Old 03-22-2010, 10:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderRandy View Post

I eat it in large quantities all the time. NOTHING to worry about. I promise!

+1

I just had vegan mac & cheese, with LOTS of nutritional yeast and a little coconut milk and seasalt.

The only thing you might notice from all those B vitamins is bright yellow pee.
#10 Old 03-23-2010, 02:37 AM
Veggie Regular

When I was pregnant, I ate nutritional yeast by the spoonful. Literally. The midwives said not to worry about it.

life's not a paragraph
and death i think is no paranthesis
#11 Old 03-23-2010, 05:10 AM
Veggie Regular

I still haven't tried the vegan mac & cheese recipe, but I do like using it as a parmesan substitute.

The opposite of war isn't peace. It's creation!
#12 Old 03-24-2010, 05:26 AM
Beginner

Yeah I find it goes well as a thickener in sauces and such, and I sprinkle some over the top of my vegan lasagne along with a few shavings of margarine for a salty chewy topping. Whoever said it is too salty and dry, that's exactly why I love it! You'll be saying you don't like dry roast peanuts next...

http://dietarypacifism.com/

recipes and thoughts on veganism and religion
#13 Old 03-24-2010, 05:48 AM
Veggie Regular

If you,re looking for Vitamin B12 fortification, Red Star nutritional yeast flakes are the best, in my experience. Since I started taking it, my B12 levels have been normal, as opposed to other nutritional yeasts. it really has made a difference. I sprinkle it freely on salads and add it to sauces or dips where a "cheezy" taste is desired.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page