My first stranger "comment" lol - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-06-2010, 04:35 PM
Veggie Regular

At the grocery store today, buying a ton of produce + some coconut milk and the cashier says:

"what do you use THIS for?" (coconut milk)

"um, well..lots of things..we don't drink cows milk, so I use it as a replacement"

"okaayyy...does it taste the same?"

"lol no not at all."

"okaaaayyyy....so you're allergic to cows milk?"

"Nope. Vegetarian." (we're ovo-lacto but don't use any dairy other than cheese - I'm working on it! >.< lol)

"Oh! Vegetarians drink cows milk! They all do."

"No... that's not true, there's different types of vegetarian"

"um, no there isn't"

"LOL yes. Ovo-Lacto, Ovo, strict vege..." (while getting a sarcastic glare...lol) "nevermind. Just bag the groceries, please " lol

Please don't tell me what I do and do not eat, ok? Cause I know alot better than you do
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-06-2010, 04:42 PM

he he. thats a bit cheeky innit
#3 Old 03-06-2010, 07:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Some cashiers are so rude..

I've had a few look down at my veg*n food and give me the comments too.. it puts you in such an awkward spot!

Click here to visit my webpage! http://astrotidbits.blogspot.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-06-2010, 07:09 PM

I hate that! Why do people feel the need to tell you what you eat or don't?
#5 Old 03-06-2010, 07:17 PM
Veggie Regular

wow, some people just don't get it lol

^Cool story, bro
#6 Old 03-06-2010, 07:18 PM
Banned

I always find it funny when someone examines my cart. This actually happened to me today! A co-worker of mine was in line right behind me. He said "you can tell a lot about a person by what's in his cart". He looked at what I was purchasing. Everything was vegan and quite a variety. His comment was "well, that's certainly an eclectic choice of food". I didn't really mind him looking at what I was buying, but his nosiness bothered me just a little. One thing I like is the fact that I was caught in the act of buying a lot of healthy vegan food. He has no junk on me to report to anyone else. Coworkers gossip a lot where I work.
#7 Old 03-06-2010, 07:31 PM
Beginner

The fact you had "quite a variety" says it all. But you could have made that point, saying something like, "yes, a vegan diet is full of variety and very eclectic."

But when do we ever think of what we 'could' have said, grrr.
#8 Old 03-06-2010, 08:21 PM
Veggie Regular

I get comments on my groceries sometimes, but I've never been told what I can and can't eat as a vegetarian. Weird!
#9 Old 03-06-2010, 08:29 PM
Veggie Regular

lol yup. It was weird. I hate when they comment on what I'm buying like it's any of their business, nevermind telling what I can and cannot eat LOL some people
#10 Old 03-06-2010, 08:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah it bothers me too. We have to buy the most expensive formula on the shelf for my daughter because of her medical issues and the comments on the cost of it are getting REALLY old. I started being quite blunt with them and give them TMI details about her medical condition. That always shuts them up. LOL If they start being rude about my veggie purchases, I might just tell them what meat and dairy do to my colon. ROFL
#11 Old 03-07-2010, 09:56 AM
Veggie Regular

lmao!! That would shut them up for sure!!

I realize they are just trying to make 'polite' conversation, or whatever, but they need to realize it isn't actually polite! lol

I was in line at a store here and the woman ahead of me was buying a magazine, but it wouldn't scan so the clerk called for a price check but didn't say anything to the woman at all - just stood their flipping through the magazine LOL I thought that was incredibly rude. No smiles, no 'just one minute, sorry'...just standing there reading the woman's magazine.
#12 Old 03-07-2010, 10:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shauna_m View Post

Yeah it bothers me too. We have to buy the most expensive formula on the shelf for my daughter because of her medical issues and the comments on the cost of it are getting REALLY old. I started being quite blunt with them and give them TMI details about her medical condition. That always shuts them up. LOL If they start being rude about my veggie purchases, I might just tell them what meat and dairy do to my colon. ROFL

Yep, my son has reflux issues so we have to get the expensive stuff too. People need to shut up sometimes. I had one cashier say "All you young parents are the same. You don't HAVE to get the expensive kind! Babies don't care!" and one asked me if I don't breastfeed because I think it's "icky" and laughed at me.
#13 Old 03-07-2010, 10:54 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrealeeanne View Post

Yep, my son has reflux issues so we have to get the expensive stuff too. People need to shut up sometimes. I had one cashier say "All you young parents are the same. You don't HAVE to get the expensive kind! Babies don't care!" and one asked me if I don't breastfeed because I think it's "icky" and laughed at me.

Sometimes when they comment on the price I tell them this is actually the CHEAP stuff for her. Elecare is something like $40 a can and we're trying to postpone using it as long as possible. I'd dare anyone to tell me the expensive stuff doesn't matter. My DD would die from malnutrition if I gave her regular enfamil. She physically cannot digest it. I've never had anyone comment about not nursing though. They'd get an earful. I pumped my ass off for 9 1/2 months and even accepted donated milk from a friend so we could delay using formula. Bleh, nosy cashiers suck. Actually I'm tempted to let the managers at the stores know that their cashiers have a habit of commenting on her formula. Even if they don't mean any harm, it's just so inappropriate. Time for some retraining I think.
#14 Old 03-07-2010, 12:16 PM

If a cashier made any comment to me on my purchases I would report them to the manager of the store, that is not on!
#15 Old 03-07-2010, 12:19 PM
Veggie Regular

I guess I'm lucky. I've gotten a few comments along the lines of "what does tofu taste like?" or "you're vegetarian? that's so cool". And then I get to talk about how cool and easy being a vegetarian is.

Who needs sleep when we've got love?
Who needs keys when we've got clubs?
Who needs please when we've got guns?
Who needs peace when we've gone above?
#16 Old 03-07-2010, 12:33 PM

I went through a check out line the other day and the young girl who was working did not know what lentils where. same thing happpend a few weeks ago with some bock choy. I often have to tell the people what produce I am buying so they know how to ring it up.
#17 Old 03-07-2010, 12:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanz76 View Post

If a cashier made any comment to me on my purchases I would report them to the manager of the store, that is not on!

Any comment or just a negative one? One of my favorite cashiers makes comments about things in my shopping cart but she never says anything negative or judgemental.

It is incredible that some cashiers think it is okay to make rude comments about the products we are buying because those very same products are helping to provide them with a job.
#18 Old 03-07-2010, 01:46 PM
mlp
Banned

Back when I had fewer cats than I do now and was still buying litter at the grocery store, cashiers would sometimes say, "Wow, that's a lot of litter. How many cats do you have?" My standard response was, "Just one, but it's a REALLY big one." That shut them up.
#19 Old 03-07-2010, 02:13 PM
Veggie Regular

A cashier commented on the large amount of tofu I purchased a few weeks ago. I told her it was because they were out of stock the last time I went and then she told me that it wasn't fair to the other people who wanted tofu if I bought a lot of it. I have to drive 25 miles to get to an area urban enough to carry it. I'm not running out.
#20 Old 03-07-2010, 02:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Sometimes when they comment on the price I tell them this is actually the CHEAP stuff for her. Elecare is something like $40 a can and we're trying to postpone using it as long as possible. I'd dare anyone to tell me the expensive stuff doesn't matter. My DD would die from malnutrition if I gave her regular enfamil. She physically cannot digest it. I've never had anyone comment about not nursing though. They'd get an earful. I pumped my ass off for 9 1/2 months and even accepted donated milk from a friend so we could delay using formula. Bleh, nosy cashiers suck. Actually I'm tempted to let the managers at the stores know that their cashiers have a habit of commenting on her formula. Even if they don't mean any harm, it's just so inappropriate. Time for some retraining I think.

omg you are AMAZING!! I'm sorry breastfeeding didn't work out - but wow, momma, you done good! lol
#21 Old 03-07-2010, 02:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by amhappy1 View Post

A cashier commented on the large amount of tofu I purchased a few weeks ago. I told her it was because they were out of stock the last time I went and then she told me that it wasn't fair to the other people who wanted tofu if I bought a lot of it. I have to drive 25 miles to get to an area urban enough to carry it. I'm not running out.

Lol so instead of the grocery store ordering more at one time, they should limit the amount any individual can buy. Makes sense....somehow....I'm sure... :P
#22 Old 03-07-2010, 02:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Haha I got my first comment the other day as well. I was in the grocery line as well and I was buying Tofutti Cuties, and some Boca and Amy's Kitchen stuff. The girl at the register looked at the Tofutti and said:

Girl: "Oh these dont have milk in them?"

Me: "Nope."

Her: "Are you allergic?"

Me: "Nope, I just don't eat dairy."

Her: "O.. why?"

Me: "Oh I'm vegan so I don't eat any meat or dairy products"

Her: "Hmm.. so why do you choose not to eat dairy?"

Me: "I do it for the animals and the environment and myself. But I can still eat ice cream as you can see "

Her: "Oh wow, that sounds impossible."

Me: "It's not as hard as you might think"

Her: "Welll.. I dunno about that.."

Me: " (awkwardly laughing) ..have a good day"
#23 Old 03-07-2010, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry View Post

Any comment or just a negative one? One of my favorite cashiers makes comments about things in my shopping cart but she never says anything negative or judgemental.

It is incredible that some cashiers think it is okay to make rude comments about the products we are buying because those very same products are helping to provide them with a job.

No only negative comments, sorry should have made myself clear. I've never had any comments about anything I buy although a lot of the time they don't know what the item is to ring it up lol! Sometimes its quite normal things too like butternut squash or turnips! Quite worrying really!
#24 Old 03-07-2010, 02:40 PM

Quote:

yeah fair enough. first in, best fed !!
#25 Old 03-07-2010, 02:43 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm never on the receiving end of comments about my grocery purchases. Likewise, I don't comment to other customers about what they buy, but I do on occasion like to check out the contents of their shopping cart. Just when I think I've spotted another veg*an (and hence the opportunity to mention Veggieboards to that person), I see some kind of meat product being scanned.

*this space not for sale*
#26 Old 03-07-2010, 06:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I get comments on my groceries sometimes, but I've never been told what I can and can't eat as a vegetarian. Weird!

I've had someone tell me I "can" have lard/beef fat in my food because only vegans "can't" and that if I turn down a twinky I'm vegan.

ÂIf man could be crossed with the cat it would improve man, but it would deteriorate the cat.  Mark Twain
#27 Old 03-07-2010, 08:36 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajeff View Post

I went through a check out line the other day and the young girl who was working did not know what lentils where. same thing happpend a few weeks ago with some bock choy. I often have to tell the people what produce I am buying so they know how to ring it up.

Oh, I always get confused with the (very very very) many different small orange-coloured citrus fruits we sell. For example, I needed a code for satsumas, my customer informed me they were clementines. They could well have even been mandarins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry View Post

I never comment on someone's shopping except to perhaps say "I've tried these, they are really tasty!" or "that looks interesting, I might have to buy some later ... " I wouldn't dare insult anyone, especially someone who is in a perfect situation to put in a complaint about me if they wish.

Quote:

That's out of order. If they stock the product, it's their responsibility to make sure supply keeps up with demand, not the customer. The only time we've ever had anything remotely like that has been this winter, when we've had to limit our customers to one container/pack/box of salt, and then we put up a sign to inform our customers of this.
#28 Old 03-08-2010, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy SF View Post

I'm never on the receiving end of comments about my grocery purchases. Likewise, I don't comment to other customers about what they buy, but I do on occasion like to check out the contents of their shopping cart. Just when I think I've spotted another veg*an (and hence the opportunity to mention Veggieboards to that person), I see some kind of meat product being scanned.

They might be buying those meat products for other people in their family. I'm a vegetarian, but I still have to buy meat for my husband. Of course, you'd have no way of knowing that unless you got really nosey and asked them...lol.

I never really mind when anyone makes any kind of comment on what I'm eating. I use those opportunities to educate. I think a lot of times when we're annoyed at people for their comments, we really should forgive them for their ignorance and rather than be annoyed, take the opportunity to educate. The response I most often get is, "Oh. I didn't know that!" when I talk to people. Food companies go to great lengths to keep people stupid. As a vegetarian (and general health nut...I don't eat any junk food, chemicals, etc....I do my best), I know how much research I had to do to learn everything I've learned. So, why not share it.
#29 Old 03-08-2010, 08:08 AM

I once had the guy in line behind me look at my little tub of tofu and say "slime". I withheld comment on his package of morally, aesthetically, and in every other way revolting hamburger.
#30 Old 03-08-2010, 09:06 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajeff View Post

I occasionally have to tell the cashiers what my greens are, but that's understandable. Even to me, buying this stuff all the time, a lot of the leafy green stuff looks the same. For instance, I buy Italian parsley and cilantro regularly for my rabbit, and I sometimes have to smell them to tell them apart, because they look so similar.

--Fromper

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page