Help! [vegetarian has been eating gelatin] - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-20-2010, 01:54 PM

So my friend and i decided to stop eating meat 6 months ago and have been succesful and loving being vegetarians since. My favorite candy was sour gummy worms and one of my teachers said," i thought u were a vegitarian?" i said " i am..." and he " vegetarians don't eat gelatin."

is this true? what is gelatin? have i not been a vegetarian for 6 months if i have eaten gelatin? My friend did not realize this either. I don't plan on eating gelatin ever again but it would be extremely helpful if anyone could: tell me if i havnt actually been vegetarian becuase i ate gelatin, and what is it?

Thanks so much!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-20-2010, 02:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Gelatin is made the bones of animals. It's found in jello, many gummy type candies, and various other places. It should be listed on the ingredients label if it's in a food, so just check there and if it's not listed you're safe. If you're looking for a good gelatin-free gummy candy, swedish fish and sour patch are both good.

Also, I think you can still say that you've been vegetarian for the past 6 months. You couldn't avoid something you didn't know existed and it's great that you're making the effort to find out and avoid it now. Don't beat yourself up over your mistakes, just learn from them.

don't take my life away, don't take my life away.
#3 Old 02-20-2010, 02:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Yea, gelatin can hide in all sorts of places... there's also gelatin in marshmallows, the icing on poptarts (non iced poptarts are fine), on frosted mini wheats, and some fruit snacks. Oh, also cough drops.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-20-2010, 02:22 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music is Life View Post

So my friend and i decided to stop eating meat 6 months ago and have been succesful and loving being vegetarians since. My favorite candy was sour gummy worms and one of my teachers said," i thought u were a vegitarian?" i said " i am..." and he " vegetarians don't eat gelatin."

is this true? what is gelatin? have i not been a vegetarian for 6 months if i have eaten gelatin? My friend did not realize this either. I don't plan on eating gelatin ever again but it would be extremely helpful if anyone could: tell me if i havnt actually been vegetarian becuase i ate gelatin, and what is it?

Thanks so much!

not your fault. gelatin is made with hulves of animals,hence the strenth of nails.(I have alwys been tolod this), but in any case, you would not have know this by the package. don't worry my friend, there will be alot more to learn. There is a book that really helped me in the past, "the vegan source book". this book goes into detail about all of the things you should kow, some of it will shock you. enjoy a good luck.

blessing
#5 Old 02-20-2010, 02:36 PM

wow i would have had no idea thanks!
#6 Old 02-20-2010, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxyphonist View Post

Gelatin is made the bones of animals. It's found in jello, many gummy type candies, and various other places. It should be listed on the ingredients label if it's in a food, so just check there and if it's not listed you're safe. If you're looking for a good gelatin-free gummy candy, swedish fish and sour patch are both good.

Also, I think you can still say that you've been vegetarian for the past 6 months. You couldn't avoid something you didn't know existed and it's great that you're making the effort to find out and avoid it now. Don't beat yourself up over your mistakes, just learn from them.

Thanks this was really helpful i had no idea! and i was beating myself up about it but i feel better now. i wont be eating gelatin from now on!
#7 Old 02-20-2010, 03:07 PM

Well, you're doing better than me! I knew Gelatin was a no-no but decided to add other "G" names products to my list ... I thought normal Glucose was an animal product and that was a very interesting week!!! lol... not to mention embarrising :S doh.

I wouldn't worry about it though, as saxyphonist said above, you couldn't avoid something you didn't know existed!

xx J
#8 Old 02-20-2010, 03:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Yep, gelatin(e) is derived from collagen in animals' skin and bones.

You might also want watch out for rennet, E120/cochineal/carmine, E631/sodium 5'-inosinate, E542/edible bone phosphate, calcium mesoinositol, tallow/lard/suet/dripping, stearin(e)/stearic acid. Glycerine/glycerol can be animal derived or vegetarian.
#9 Old 02-20-2010, 03:45 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music is Life View Post

Thanks this was really helpful i had no idea! and i was beating myself up about it but i feel better now. i wont be eating gelatin from now on!

Don't feel bad, I actually didn't know what gelatin was until at least a year into my vegetarianism, maybe even 2. I miss gummy bears, I admit it. The best substitutes I've found are Swedish Fish, Sour Patch Kids (my absolute fav), and Sunny Bears. The Sunny bears are sugar coated vegetarian gummy bears and you may be able to find them in your local grocery store natural section bulk bins. Yogurt is another place you commonly find gelatin. Sour cream too. Not all, so it's good to read the labels
#10 Old 02-20-2010, 04:26 PM

I think a lot of us did this. I knew gelatin was in gummy candies, but I ate yogurt and sour cream with gelatin for ages while calling myself a vegetarian. Marshmallows too, and cheese with rennet.

Luckily, there are good substitutes out there. If you like sour gummy stuff, Sour Patch will likely do the trick, and most organic yogurt doesn't have gelatin in it. Marshmallows are harder, but there are gelatin-free varieties out there. It's a good idea to read labels, even if it's scary to learn what's in your food sometimes (okay, a lot of the time).
#11 Old 02-20-2010, 04:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Yogurt is particularly bad for sneaking by you with this stuff.
#12 Old 02-20-2010, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxyphonist View Post

#13 Old 02-20-2010, 04:41 PM
Super Moderator

If you like marshmallows, Dandies are the BEST EVER. They're fluffy and not too expensive.

Here's the link, VegNews has free shipping: http://vegnews.myshopify.com/product...n-marshmallows
#14 Old 02-20-2010, 07:53 PM
HNV
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

If you like marshmallows, Dandies are the BEST EVER. They're fluffy and not too expensive.

Here's the link, VegNews has free shipping: http://vegnews.myshopify.com/product...n-marshmallows

I've not eaten Dandies in like 3 weeks, and here you go tempting me with them again..

The worst sin toward our fellow creatures is not to hate them, but to be indifferent to them. That is the essence of humanity.
#15 Old 02-20-2010, 07:58 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiNiceVegan View Post

I've not eaten Dandies in like 3 weeks, and here you go tempting me with them again..

#16 Old 02-20-2010, 08:18 PM

Thanks to everyone for all the help and to this entire site for the support!
#17 Old 02-21-2010, 08:04 PM
Super Moderator

Not all jells are gelatin! One of my favorite finds was looking at the ingrediants on premade fruit jels and finding carob gum, locust bean gum or (something else, I can't think of now) instead of gelatin. These are from the carob plant and totally vegan! I've found this on Aldi grocery store fruit jels, and Hunt's jels.

It always pays to check labels and make a list of what's okay.

I also save the 1/2 cup containers to measure stuff like oils or peanut butter, so I don't have to completely wash a measuring cup!

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#18 Old 02-22-2010, 11:37 AM
Veggie Regular

Music is Life, try eating American hard gums instead, all the brands I know of are gelatine-free!

Also, I agree with whoever said you were still a vegetarian. Although you've been eating something that's not vegetarian, you didn't realise that was the case, and you *were* trying. If someone ate gummy bears while knowing what was in them, they wouldn't be a vegetarian.

"If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -Sirius Black
#19 Old 08-22-2011, 04:27 PM
Banned

you were still a vegetarian for 6th months because you weren't deliberately eating animal products =P
i loooove sweedish fishies <3 i bought the 100 calorie packs... they say packed in a place where dairy is or something of the sort, but theres no dairy in them so they're OK in my book
#20 Old 08-22-2011, 04:40 PM
Beginner

Actually guys maybe you can help me out, people from the UK. I've searched on the internet for a couple of items I want to know about, but honestly the internet seems to be outdated at the minute. It says Wrigleys chewing gum is not vegetarian when it is because I've checked the packet myself.

I wanted to know if Cadbury's Milkyways and Bounty's are veggie? and I also wanted to know if After Eights were vegan? I also want to know if there are any tooth pastes out there that don't test on animals available in supermarkets. All my shower and bath gels are Original Source, but supermarkets are tending not to sell Original Source any more... which really sucks! and also make up wise, the only company I know that doesn't test on animals is Revlon, but do they contain animal ingredients? thanks x

Nothing is more sexy than compassion
#21 Old 08-23-2011, 06:10 AM

I agree with everyone else, you've still been veggie. Think I was two years into being veggie before I twigged on the finer points of gelatine in sweets and animal rennet in some cheeses.

MetalLady - I'm pretty sure that Milky Way and Bounty are NOT veggie. Twixes aren't either. Most other Mars chocolate bars are though (Mars, Snickers, Galaxy, Maltesers). Most supermarkets do there own brand versions of Milky Ways and Bountys though in multipacks and these are generally veggie-friendly. Not sure about After Eights being vegan or not - although again you may be able to get something similar own brand.

As for shower gels/tooth paste etc, Superdrug own brand are good as they do not test on animals and they normally mark on the the back of the packaging whether each product is vegetarian or vegan.
#22 Old 08-23-2011, 08:39 AM
Beginner

Don't feel too bad! I'm pretty sure unknowingly ate gelatin for like, the first five years I was veg*n : p

"You know I'm a radical."
#23 Old 08-23-2011, 11:53 AM

Wouldn't you technically still be a vegetarian even if you knowingly consume gelatin? Aren't vegetarians people who don't consume any type of meat, and vegans people that consume no meat or any type of animal product? I think people have made so many different "types" of veg*n that it's all confusing. Can anyone give clarification?

Hakuna Matata
<3
#24 Old 08-23-2011, 02:39 PM

Technically vegetarian means excluding slaughter house by-products such as gelatin. But I would still classify someone as vegetarian if they ate gelatin but didn't eat meat/fish (just not a very strict one). Vegans don't have any types of animal products - so that includes eggs, dairy, honey etc.
#25 Old 08-24-2011, 10:25 PM
Veggie Regular

I didn't know where gelatin came from at first either, until a friend mentioned it wasn't and I looked it up.

I like Tom's of Maine for toothpaste but I think it is hard to find in the UK. I also get either Nature's Gate, ShiKai or Max Green hair and skin products. They're all good.
#26 Old 08-25-2011, 02:12 AM

When it doubt, Google! :P

It's a good skill to keep a mental list of maybes and definite animal derived ingredients to aid in your transition. Or, if you have a smartphone you can always quickly check.

My username is ColossalCupcakes in hopes that my spelling will improve enough so that I can spell Colossal without spellcheck. Oh, and I like cupcakes.
#27 Old 08-25-2011, 07:52 PM
Beginner

Being a ve*an is not a title, it is a process....a journey....as it is, after all, impossible to perfect either.

Welcome to the world of grocery store label reading with us ve*ans and old people (I am both) ....just remember not to block the aisle with your grocery cart .
#28 Old 09-08-2011, 03:35 AM

You can try agar. This is a vegeterian alternative to gelatin, make of seaweed. And it tastes much better than gelatin.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agar

Lots of far-eastern desserts, imported from Japan or South Korea, are made using agar. You know, Japanese love their sweets, so I you not gonna have hard time finding gummies or candies you'd like.
#29 Old 09-12-2011, 10:11 AM
Veggie Regular

Being veg*n is definitely a constant learning process with regard to what you consume. I thought I was leading a perfect veggie lifestyle after 19 years of doing it, but then joined this site and found out many beers and wines have isinglass in them (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isinglass) So I checked www.barnivore.com and low and behold one of my most frequently purchase beers (Kronenbourg) had fish in it! Do I consider I haven't been vegetarian? Of course not. I stopped drinking it, but wouldn't consider a veggie who drank it, to not be classed as a vegetarian. You just have to take it to whatever level you feel is right for yourself.
#30 Old 09-13-2011, 01:13 PM
Veggie Regular

I admit that I actually miss gummi candy (haribo) and various sweets more than meat. I don't like the consistency of the vegan or just vegetarian gummi candy as much. I guess it doesn't really matter since it's something I'd be better off without anyway.

"I am a woman of science. At least that's what my horoscope said."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page