Nice things Omnivores say.... (and do!) - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 340Likes

#1 Old 01-12-2004, 02:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Omni's say a lot of stupid things... we can see that just by looking at the "Stupid things omnivores say..." thread

But has an omni ever said anything nice to you / about your beliefs or just about veg*nism in general?

I'm sure there are some nice comments out there!
JiveHealthNate likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-12-2004, 03:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Great thread!!!

The cashier at a supermarket asked the other day whether I am a vegetarian (by looking at the load of veg/fruit/tofu stuff I dump in front of her) and I told her yes. So she said: "That's great, I wish I can do that too, good for you!" simple stuff, but that's nice.
#3 Old 01-12-2004, 04:00 PM
Veggie Regular

I had a cashier at the supermarket ask if I was vegetarian, I said "yes" (not wanting to explain the whole vegan thing), and she said, "At least it keeps you thin."

Not sure if that counts as a nice thing to say, though.
PantryParatus and Riuma like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-12-2004, 04:04 PM
Veggie Regular

I've been told by my coworkers that they appreciate I'm not a "food nazi". Which isn't so much a complement on my veg*nism as relief that I don't make them feel too bad about their own lifestyles...but hey, whatever I can do to make veg*ns seem less weird or unlikable.

Friends and family have expressed that they admire my commitment and compassion, and it feels good that they see those things as well as the more annoying (to them) aspects of my lifestyle and the mild obssessions that seem to go along with it.
Riuma likes this.
#5 Old 01-12-2004, 04:15 PM
Veggie Regular

At the first physical after going veg, my doctor said, "Good! It's good for you." He also said he wished his other patients were as healthy as me. Judging from the stories about other people's anti-veg doctors and/or nutritionists, I think I got lucky.
mamageffriaud and Riuma like this.
#6 Old 01-12-2004, 04:19 PM
Veggie Regular

My dad always tells me he's really proud of what I'm doing, though he himself couldn't do it. It's nice to hear support.
Riuma likes this.
#7 Old 01-12-2004, 05:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Often when people learn that I'm a vegetarian they say things like "wow, I wish I had it in me to do that".
Riuma likes this.
#8 Old 01-12-2004, 06:38 PM
Veggie Regular

most people ask, and then say, i don't want to be veg, but i do want to eat less meat and less processed foods. where do you get your stuff? and i tell them.
Riuma likes this.
#9 Old 01-12-2004, 07:47 PM
Veggie Regular

One of my friends asked me if I was still a vegan, and when I replied I did she told me, "Wow, you don't know how much respect I have for you...etc." It made me smile
Riuma likes this.
#10 Old 01-12-2004, 07:58 PM
Veggie Regular

we had this guy come in and talk to my spanish class and he said we was a vegetarian and at the end asked if anyone else was and i raised my hand

and my spanish teacher was like wow becky thats great your so compassionate !
#11 Old 01-12-2004, 08:03 PM

my omni friend and her girlfriend bought me and another friend *vegan* sweaters for our birthdays. they searched through the whole mall (i didn't think it would be that hard to find a non-wool sweater!) to find them.
modestlace and Riuma like this.
#12 Old 01-12-2004, 08:09 PM
Veggie Regular

My Russian professor in college said that I would live a long life being a vegetarian. When she brought Russian food to class one day, she made sure there was something I could eat.

My uncle told me he admires my eating habits. He says he wishes he could do it.

I've had people at work and friends ask for my recipes. They always are amazed at how many veggies and fruits I eat (they know that because they see the lunches/dinners I bring to work).

When my uncle (not the same one as above) asked my dad about me being a vegetarian (he thought I was going to be unhealthy because of it), my dad said, "No, she's doing fine. She eats a lot more fruit and vegetables now."
Riuma likes this.
#13 Old 01-12-2004, 08:44 PM
Veggie Regular

I have only gotten a few compliments about my diet from *older* men. (like 70's and 80's)

They tell me how great it is for me and good for me!

(I think their Dr's have gotten it into them to cut down on the meat)
#14 Old 01-12-2004, 09:07 PM
Veggie Regular

I've had several omni friends invite me over for dinner, making sure they had tasty things for me to eat. My omni boyfriend also cooks veggie foods for me and only goes to restaurants I want to go to. My parents are really nice about it too, as opposed to some of the family horror stories I've read on these boards. I guess I'm lucky!
Riuma likes this.
#15 Old 01-12-2004, 10:03 PM
Veggie Regular

There's this great mediterranean restaurant downtown where I go a lot. It doesn't sell much vegan, so I usually have to special order something. The chef always comes out and tells me how much he respects my ethics and resolve. It's cool
Riuma likes this.
#16 Old 01-12-2004, 10:24 PM
Veggie Regular

The other day, I went to a restaurant and ordered a veggie sub without the cheese... My waitress forgot to tell the cook not to put cheese, so (realizing that I was a strict vegetarian), she picked out every single piece of shredded cheese for me. There wasn't a single trace left when she brought it to the table.
wakeup&dieright and Riuma like this.
#17 Old 01-13-2004, 06:08 PM
Veggie Regular

About a couple of months ago, I had a "cancer scare". My natural mother (I'm adopted) left a message on my machine telling me that she had cancer and that I should get myself checked out, too. I couldn't get back in touch with her to find out what was going on since cancer runs really high on my side so, naturally, I was freaking out (understatement of the millenium). My husband said to me "Don't worry about it, Dee. She eats nothing but [email protected] and you eat way too healthy to get half the stuff she's probably dealing with now. Besides, if you *did* get some kind of cancer, all those veggies you eat would help you get over it way faster so, really, you have nothing to worry about."

It was very reassuring to hear him say that and I thought it was one of the nicest things he's ever said to me.

BTW: I found out much later that she her cancer is brought on from smoking and it's nothing heriditary. I'm sad, but also very relieved. It's an odd mixed-emotions thing that I really can't explain.
#18 Old 01-13-2004, 11:17 PM
Veggie Regular

My brother in law told his girlfriend about me, "She's vegetarian, but she isn't self-rightious about it at all." Ummm, thanks?
#19 Old 01-14-2004, 12:23 AM
Beginner

mostly i just get comments along the lines of

at least you stick with what you believe, i admire that. it feels great but thats like the only good thing i ever hear
#20 Old 01-14-2004, 12:44 AM
Veggie Regular

I recently discussed my reasons for being a vegan with a long distance ex boyfriend with whom I generally keep in good touch. He and I strongly disagree on religion and politics, and just the other day he was trying to make an argument that morals can't exist without god, and trying to seperate humans from the rest of the animal kingdom by saying they don't think, etc, but in a 100%-nothing-to-do-with-veg*nism-or-the-opposite kind of way, if that's feasable. That conversation ended with him saying "Oh well. You'll come around some day."

So when I explained to him that my veganism has nothing to do with health, it's all about the animals not dying or suffering for my pleasure, he just said "Wow, I could never do it, but I have a lot of respect for you for doing that".

I know it's not original in this thread, but I totally wasn't expecting that comment from him.
#21 Old 01-14-2004, 01:24 AM
Veggie Regular

All of my relatives are pretty tolerant of my beliefs. When I'm over at my aunt's house she has a lot of neighbor friends and when they find out I don't eat any animal products they always start asking question ("but why, it doesn't hurt the cow to drink it's milk" etc etc) and my aunt or uncle always pipe up and tell the neighbor "watch out what you ask or he'll break out the videos and show you what it's really like".
#22 Old 01-14-2004, 11:40 AM
Veggie Regular

It´s also what omnis do. I´ve just been on a meeting for two days with omnis (quality management). On the evening of the first day we had dinner together, 7 people, only two knew that I ´m vegetarian and we hadn´t discussed the subject ahead of dinner, but three out six omnis` choice was a vegetarian meal. Made me feel great!

If I'm not answering quickly enough - leave a note on Twitter for @Rheumatologe
#23 Old 01-15-2004, 06:56 PM
Veggie Regular

My omni husband tells me frequently that he is proud of me for sticking with my commitment to being vegetarian.
Riuma likes this.

I am the user formerly known as MrsKey
#24 Old 01-15-2004, 08:32 PM

Not "nice" exactly, but I've had several (male) science teachers talk about how the milk industry has brainwashed our culture into believing that cow's milk is the ONLY and BEST source of calcium. And they always say brainwashed or something similar.
Riuma likes this.
#25 Old 01-16-2004, 10:35 AM
Veggie Regular

I had a very pleasant experience yesterday on my home from work.

I was waiting for my train, reading "the pig who sang to the moon" when an older guy approached me and asked what I was reading. I showed him the cover and told him what it was about. He seemed very interested and told me that he has been very interested lately in reading up more about vegetarianism and AR but wasn't sure what books to get. So he pulled out a piece of paper and a pen and wrote down a few books I told him about including "the pig who....". He said he would go online at home and order them. YAY, that made my day

Riuma likes this.
#26 Old 01-16-2004, 01:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Like others, most of the positive comments are like, "you have such integrity and really stand by what you believe. I respect you a lot for that." It's nice to hear.

I also have people, after they ask me what I eat, ask if they can come over and learn to cook like we do. heh. I just tell them to do what we did and get a ton of cookbooks and experiment. Then the people always flake and say, "ah, well I'm not a good cook." (that's why it's called PRACTICE, people.)

amy
PantryParatus and Riuma like this.
#27 Old 01-19-2004, 02:27 PM
Veggie Regular

People like that I don't bash everyone else around me because of my beliefs. I eat my food, they eat theirs, and we're all happy!
#28 Old 01-19-2004, 02:39 PM

I'd like to think of myself as considerate of vegetarians. I don't think I could ever do it myself, but it is interesting from a culinary side. I don't think all of us "omni's" are mean and stupid about it.
#29 Old 01-19-2004, 03:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Not really something nice they say, but whenever my mom or dad is making dinner they ask me what I want if they are making meat and help me make it.
#30 Old 01-19-2004, 03:44 PM
Veggie Regular

I made this vegetarian chili for my family and they loved it! (except for my brother who didn't eat it) My parents usually like the things I cook.
Riuma likes this.

Tags
vegan-food , Vegan , vegan-cake

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page