Nice things Omnivores say.... (and do!) - Page 83 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 340Likes

#2461 Old 05-13-2015, 11:33 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaliaBeth1224 View Post
So last Friday my class went outside to join a cookout with another class and the teacher offered me a hot dog.
Me: no, thank-you. I'm a vegetarian.

He then have me grilled bannanas cook on a COMPLETLY clean foil and was just like
"Here, what's you think?"

Nice! And we did it gain today and out of nowhere he just handed me a baked potatoe to eat. Awesome!
That's really sweet! I've never heard of grilled bananas, though. Are they what I'm imagining they are, or are we talking about some kind of plantain? Are they good?
Purp likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2462 Old 05-13-2015, 03:19 PM
Veggie Regular

It was. Just bannas on a grill. The Ochwata{sp?} and the Spanish Wedding gallettas were c=yummy. The plaintains not so much.
#2463 Old 05-13-2015, 03:44 PM
Super Moderator

Wow Talia, that teacher really is nice. Those are the exact qualities I'd expect in someone interested in teaching-reaching out to everyones individuality.

I've done regular bananas and fresh pineapple slices on a grill- on a pan or thick foil. They both carmelize so well. Perfect topped with soy ice cream or cold coconut creme!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2464 Old 05-14-2015, 12:55 AM
Beginner

It will be my birthday in a few days and my mum (omni) asked me what I wanted for dinner.. So I requested these Croatian dumpling things my nanna used to make when she was still alive. So my mum is not only going to make me a vegan version of my favourite food ever, she's also going to bake me a vegan cake

It honestly makes me so sad to hear others post on these forums about their non-supportive families. I wish everyone's family had the same awesome attitude my mum has. Originally she was like 'I'll give this vegan thing 6 months before I stop thinking it's some phase'. Now when other family members/friends say 'she's vegan now? oh, it must be a phase', she's always replying with 'actually no, she feels pretty strongly about it'. And it's barely been 2 months!

Reckon I could make a vegan out of her yet
#2465 Old 05-14-2015, 04:30 AM
Veggie Regular

@silva : Exactly!
Purp likes this.
#2466 Old 05-14-2015, 08:38 AM
Veggie Regular

We went to my husband's dad's house for Mother's day. His dad's family has never been unsupportive they just don't know how to cook for a vegan. In the past their hasn't been much for me to eat, they try they just really struggle. This time, though, when we walked in the door he took a package of veggie burgers out of the freezer and asked if those are the kind I liked, and before the meal he pointed out which items were vegan so I wouldn't be left guessing about ingredients.
Purp, azerea_02, LedBoots and 1 others like this.
#2467 Old 05-14-2015, 09:05 AM
Super Moderator

My father-in-law has been really supportive, too. Before we met, he'd never heard of a vegan and had no idea what I could and couldn't eat, so he did some research. Last weekend when we visited, he'd bought me soya cream and fresh fruit, and he cooked us a pasta dish with veggies and chickpeas. He even asked where he could find a vegan cake!
Purp and LedBoots like this.
#2468 Old 05-15-2015, 09:04 AM

I told a friend I was a transitioning veggie and she said "I've wanted to do that for so long but worried people would judge me" and that she wants to become vegan but knowing I'm veggie will help her stick at it
Purp, jessandreia and no whey jose like this.
#2469 Old 05-23-2015, 05:36 AM
Veggie Regular

I was over at a friend's house last night, and his parents made the most delicious artichoke soup for me. They didn't make a fuss about me being vegetarian, which I appreciate a lot.
Purp, LedBoots and no whey jose like this.
#2470 Old 05-23-2015, 06:24 AM
Veggie Regular

My parents have started making a completely vegan stir-fry for supper whenever the kids and I visit.
Purp and no whey jose like this.
#2471 Old 05-23-2015, 08:50 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecanna View Post
My parents have started making a completely vegan stir-fry for supper whenever the kids and I visit.
That is so very nice!
Purp likes this.
#2472 Old 09-03-2015, 08:40 AM
Veggie Regular

I went to a small Chinese restaurant last night with my family, I was nervous before going because I wasn't sure if they would have anything veggie. Anyway when I went there I ordered something with tofu and it turns out the our waitress (who was an older Chinese lady) asked me if I was veggie and when I said yes she told me she was a very strict Buddhist and didn't eat meat on certain days. She said she thought it was wonderful I was veggie and told me she'd make sure my dish would be cooked separately and she made sure no fish or meat based sauces was put in. She said they can put tofu in replace of any meat for whenever I came back. It was so cool.
#2473 Old 09-03-2015, 08:57 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasminedesi16 View Post
I went to a small Chinese restaurant last night with my family, I was nervous before going because I wasn't sure if they would have anything veggie. Anyway when I went there I ordered something with tofu and it turns out the our waitress (who was an older Chinese lady) asked me if I was veggie and when I said yes she told me she was a very strict Buddhist and didn't eat meat on certain days. She said she thought it was wonderful I was veggie and told me she'd make sure my dish would be cooked separately and she made sure no fish or meat based sauces was put in. She said they can put tofu in replace of any meat for whenever I came back. It was so cool.
That's so awesome!
Purp and Jasminedesi16 like this.
#2474 Old 09-03-2015, 09:43 AM
Veggie Regular

I was so surprised, I usually get so nervous for visiting new restaurants that I almost told my family I couldn't go, but I'm so glad I went :P
#2475 Old 09-03-2015, 03:09 PM
Veggie Regular

One of the directors at work was talking to the receptionist about going out and getting some ice cream. He knows I don't eat dairy and asked me about the non dairy kinds out there and where I buy them. I told him my fav was Cashew Milk ice cream.

I went back to my desk and about a half hour later he comes back with a pint of the Creamy Cashew! I couldn't believe it. Instead of going to the usual local ice cream stand he drove 13 miles to Whole Foods just so I could share in their afternoon snack. And to top it off, both he and the receptionist loved the non dairy dessert! Way cool!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
#2476 Old 09-03-2015, 03:24 PM

I was at a 'make-your-own-pizza' place a few weeks ago. It's like a Subway but for pizza, so the people behind the counter put everything on it for you. When I declined the offer for meat or cheese the employee realized i was vegan and very kindly asked me if I wanted her to change her gloves before she touched the veggies for my pizza. It was a really nice gesture and, even though it was such a small thing to ask me, I was really struck by how nice it was. I hadn't even said anything about being vegan... I had just said no to meat and cheese! I usually get weird stares from people when I ask for no cheese so this was a really nice change of pace.
#2477 Old 09-03-2015, 04:50 PM
Beginner

"Major props"
"Wow, that takes a lot of strength and willpower. I could never do that."
similar things
Purp and no whey jose like this.
#2478 Old 09-08-2015, 11:52 AM

When I'm talking with an omni, this happens often as I run my own nail salon, when they find out I'm vegetarian I LOVE it when they don't even bat an eye, they don't look at me funny, they don't pause as if it's the most awkward moment ever, they might ask me why, they might tell me about a family member that's veg*an and they admire it, they might tell me all about some dinners they had recently that were vegetarian and delicious, or ask me if I've been to one of various veggie restaurants here in Vancouver.

The nicest thing an omni can ever say to me once they find out I don't eat animals is to just have a normal conversation with me. I definitely appreciate not feeling segregated because of my food choices.

**also: when meat heavy friend insist of having a taco night again because they loved the appetizers with walnut taco "meat" and cashew sour cream

Last edited by always.sunny; 09-08-2015 at 11:56 AM.
#2479 Old 09-11-2015, 05:06 AM

I recently turned vegan a few months ago and my ex (she wasn't at the time), who is an omni, was massively supportive of my decision. When I first started and was unsure of what I was doing she would look for recipes and vegan labelled food items in super markets for me to eat. Looking back now, I would have really struggled without her support and she turned something that could have been rather difficult into something easy and manageable.

One particularly nice moment springs to mind is when we were out in town one weekend. We had eaten and we waiting for something to start (I can't remember what off hand) so to kill some time we decided to sit in a cafe and have a drink. I remember having this unrelenting desire for some sort of chocolate drink, maybe a mocha or a hot chocolate. Since we were in the middle of the bohemian part of a large city I figured surely my needs will be catered for. Well, as it turns out, nope, not at all. None of the local cafes, which all looked cool and groovy, stocked soya milk. I remember getting a bit sulky for a brief moment, whining that I shall never again be able to enjoy a chocolatey drink, before getting over it. A couple of days later, what did the ex go and do? She sourced and purchased a carton of chocolate milk for me! It was a small, but very kind and heart warming act that I will forever appreciate!
Purp and mecanna like this.

Last edited by My name isn't Bob; 09-12-2015 at 02:05 AM.
#2480 Old 09-22-2015, 05:55 PM
Veggie Regular

So yesterday I came back from vacation and found out at the last minute our department would be having a luncheon/meeting at a local banquet center the next day! Food would be provided and the menu was already planned. My immediate supervisor was not sure what was on the menu, so I called the banquet center to ask about the menu and if there was anything vegan I could eat. I couldn't get hold of anyone so I left a voicemail with my name and phone number and explained the situation. Shortly after that I had to attend a meeting so I was not able to get in touch with anyone before we went to the facility. Everyone got up from their tables and went to get their food, and I just ate my bar and an apple I brought along for my lunch. And of course I got the usual pitiful stares which just annoys me to no end lol. So we were all sitting there and all of a sudden a server came up and asked if I was Elaine, and I said yes, and he said "here is your vegan meal Elaine" and he set this plate in front of me that was filled with rice, vegetables, and some kind of marinara sauce. It was actually quite tasty and looked really pretty. I had totally not expected that at all!!!! Everyone at my table was curious and wanted to know what it was and they all wanted to try it lol. I thanked the server profusely and also wrote a nice review on the restaurant's Facebook page. And the funny thing is, I am normally this very quiet person who is self conscious about eating around others and doesn't like to make a scene. But sometimes I feel the need to speak up and say "hey, I am a vegan and I have a right to eat too!" After all, the luncheon was being provided to us employees as a thank you for our hard work. It makes me feel really good that restaurants will go out of their way to make sure vegans are well served too!

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#2481 Old 09-23-2015, 06:23 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturebound View Post
So yesterday I came back from vacation and found out at the last minute our department would be having a luncheon/meeting at a local banquet center the next day! Food would be provided and the menu was already planned. My immediate supervisor was not sure what was on the menu, so I called the banquet center to ask about the menu and if there was anything vegan I could eat. I couldn't get hold of anyone so I left a voicemail with my name and phone number and explained the situation. Shortly after that I had to attend a meeting so I was not able to get in touch with anyone before we went to the facility. Everyone got up from their tables and went to get their food, and I just ate my bar and an apple I brought along for my lunch. And of course I got the usual pitiful stares which just annoys me to no end lol. So we were all sitting there and all of a sudden a server came up and asked if I was Elaine, and I said yes, and he said "here is your vegan meal Elaine" and he set this plate in front of me that was filled with rice, vegetables, and some kind of marinara sauce. It was actually quite tasty and looked really pretty. I had totally not expected that at all!!!! Everyone at my table was curious and wanted to know what it was and they all wanted to try it lol. I thanked the server profusely and also wrote a nice review on the restaurant's Facebook page. And the funny thing is, I am normally this very quiet person who is self conscious about eating around others and doesn't like to make a scene. But sometimes I feel the need to speak up and say "hey, I am a vegan and I have a right to eat too!" After all, the luncheon was being provided to us employees as a thank you for our hard work. It makes me feel really good that restaurants will go out of their way to make sure vegans are well served too!
I'm glad it turned out that way!!

Purp and Naturebound like this.
#2482 Old 09-23-2015, 12:42 PM
Veggie Regular

You deserve good things happening to you Naturebound.
Purp and Naturebound like this.
#2483 Old 09-23-2015, 08:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturebound View Post
Hooray!!!! :

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#2484 Old 09-25-2015, 09:44 AM

@PigPrairieDog , that was very nice of her. I had a similar experience myself.

Last week I went with my friend to a local fast-food restaurant, knowing that they have falafel, so I let my friend go first and she ordered a regular shawarma, but they told me that they don't have any falafel, so I thought about it and asked if they can make me a meatless shawarma and they said yes.
The nice thing is that the guy who made me the shawarma, before putting anything in it asked me if I'm vegetarian and I said yes. So he put the pliers down and told his coworker to wash some pliers for him cause he's been using the other pliers for the meat and his coworker was like what the hell, she's not fasting, but he insisted on it, even told her, as he was making my shawarma, that he has some friends who are also vegetarians because they saw some serious videos on the internet. He was very serious about vegetarianism and at the end he even told me that whenever I order something like shawarma, should tell the workers to wash the pliers before. He was very nice and I really appreciated that.
Purp and Blue Gingham like this.
#2485 Old 12-21-2015, 05:20 AM
Veggie Regular

My sister had a friend of hers over on Thanksgiving and somehow my being vegetsrian came up.(I don't Remeber WHAT I said.) and my sister's friend was like "I respect you. That's good."

And then after Thanksgiving one of my friends wanted me to try her cooking so she came to school with vegetsrian food and was just like "try this. Wait you eat butter, right?"
Me: yeah....
Friend: okay, eat this.
It was delicious.

And in Spanish class we'll have food and the Spanish teacher is always very transparent with what's in it. And will stop and ask if I eat certain things.
Te way she phrases it is "do you eat...?"
So that's awesome. Because I CAN eat whatever I want to. I choose to avoid animal carcusses.
But those were awesome! Especially since I live in southern U.S
Purp, LedBoots and Blue Gingham like this.
#2486 Old 12-21-2015, 09:06 AM
Veggie Regular

Last week I went to Hershey Park, my family was taking my four year old and six year old cousins. We stayed at the Hershey Hotel and they had a huge buffet and one section of the buffet was an entire vegan section! Oh and everything was labeled, even if honey was used it was labeled! They even had raw vegan foods! I even got my six year old cousin to try some of the vegan food and she said she liked it!
#2487 Old 12-21-2015, 09:32 AM
Fellow Hummusapian

I was eating sandwiches one day with my coworkers and one of them helped me find the vegetarian platter. We sat down to eat and they asked me about it, so I told them. Then they proceeded to talk about how I had such good morals and was a good person, and it just completely took me by surprise. It was really nice!
Purp, LedBoots and Jasminedesi16 like this.
#2488 Old 12-22-2015, 01:45 PM

When my son was younger he was a competitive gymnast. After gymnastics competitions the whole team would go out for a meal. At one particular time there was another team at the same restaurant as ours. There boys where always getting beaten by my son. While up at the buffet I over heard the others teams coach tell there parents and kids to watch what my son was eating and eat like him. I turned and whispered to the coach that hes a vegetarian and has never eaten any meat. There was a lot of shocked parents who had a whole new attitude about how good being a vegetarian is for you.
#2489 Old 12-22-2015, 10:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chou View Post
@PigPrairieDog , that was very nice of her. I had a similar experience myself.

Last week I went with my friend to a local fast-food restaurant, knowing that they have falafel, so I let my friend go first and she ordered a regular shawarma, but they told me that they don't have any falafel, so I thought about it and asked if they can make me a meatless shawarma and they said yes.
The nice thing is that the guy who made me the shawarma, before putting anything in it asked me if I'm vegetarian and I said yes. So he put the pliers down and told his coworker to wash some pliers for him cause he's been using the other pliers for the meat and his coworker was like what the hell, she's not fasting, but he insisted on it, even told her, as he was making my shawarma, that he has some friends who are also vegetarians because they saw some serious videos on the internet. He was very serious about vegetarianism and at the end he even told me that whenever I order something like shawarma, should tell the workers to wash the pliers before. He was very nice and I really appreciated that.
NOTE TO SELF: Never google "vegan Shawarma recipes" after dinner. <-- everyone, ignore this.

This past weekend, we went to my Orange County, CA for my uncle's memorial service, and I shot my cousin an email saying I was vegetarian (I didn't want to make a big deal out of it at that point; I was just trying to keep it together without flood out SoCal. She had a few things including veggies and veggie sandwiches and a pasta salad that had cubed cheese in it that I could avoid.
LedBoots likes this.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#2490 Old 12-23-2015, 09:27 AM
Veggie Regular

This is the second Christmas that the people who work where I volunteer put out a vegetarian lunch. I am the only vegetarian but they made dishes with no meat, milk, or cheese in them. The only thing that wasn't vegan was a bottle of ranch dressing. I took a Cajun black-eyed pea salad. There was also bean soup made with veg broth, a pasta-tomato soup, a cabbage and carrot salad and lots of crackers and chips. I may be a volunteer there forever.
Purp, LedBoots and Blue Gingham like this.

Tags
vegan-food , Vegan , vegan-cake

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page