Nice things Omnivores say.... (and do!) - Page 82 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 340Likes

#2431 Old 03-13-2015, 03:32 PM
Lovable misanthrope

I went to a theme park with my daughter, the only affordable place to eat was an Italian buffet, my daughter being a vegetarian pigged out very happily on pasta garlic bread and pizza, but I could only have salad foods like cucumber and cous cous, as all the pizzas were covered in cheese. So I asked the pizzaolos if they had a cheese free pizza, they said no but they could make me one, I felt a bit embarrassed and politely refused but they insisted and asked what I'd like in it. Bear in mind this is a buffet and people help themselves to slices of pizza and spoon pasta onto their plates from one big dish and here I am having my own different pizza prepared for me, a whole one too. I was very touched by how attentive They were.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	243.9 KB
ID:	7586  

it takes guts to be gentle and kind
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2432 Old 03-13-2015, 05:01 PM
Veggie Regular

So, I went to my achool's cove niece store to get lunch because I forgot my lacked lunch.
And I just really wanted pizza, the person cutting it had just cut up a pepperoni pizza. I kind kf awkwardly asked if he could wash it. And no questions asked he went to the sink and was edit with soap and water.
And then the person handling the cash register when I explained my reasoning just said "that's unique."

High schoolers in my hometown didnt have heart attacks when I was revolted by meat grease. That's nice.
#2433 Old 03-15-2015, 09:56 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MozIsMyShepherd View Post
I went to a theme park with my daughter, the only affordable place to eat was an Italian buffet, my daughter being a vegetarian pigged out very happily on pasta garlic bread and pizza, but I could only have salad foods like cucumber and cous cous, as all the pizzas were covered in cheese. So I asked the pizzaolos if they had a cheese free pizza, they said no but they could make me one, I felt a bit embarrassed and politely refused but they insisted and asked what I'd like in it. Bear in mind this is a buffet and people help themselves to slices of pizza and spoon pasta onto their plates from one big dish and here I am having my own different pizza prepared for me, a whole one too. I was very touched by how attentive They were.
That's nice! The pizza looks yummy too
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2434 Old 03-15-2015, 10:38 AM
Lovable misanthrope

It was yummy! I'm really enjoying cheese free pizzas now and beginning to realise that I used to taste nothing but cheese in my pizzas before whereas now it's a whole range of flavours now that cheese is out of the way! And so much healthier too!

it takes guts to be gentle and kind
#2435 Old 03-16-2015, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MozIsMyShepherd View Post
It was yummy! I'm really enjoying cheese free pizzas now and beginning to realise that I used to taste nothing but cheese in my pizzas before whereas now it's a whole range of flavours now that cheese is out of the way! And so much healthier too!
I still eat vegetarian mozzarella but since only a few brands have vegetarian cheese I go for only veggies if I have to eat those other brands. And what you say is so true. Its jummier without cheese. Such a shame that most pizzas contain cheese or meat.
Purp likes this.

Haters zijn gewoon praters
#2436 Old 03-16-2015, 11:28 AM
Veggie Regular

We had corned beef and cabbage for dinner last night, and we do the veggies separately, so the veggies in the house can have them, too.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#2437 Old 03-16-2015, 02:00 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't know what corned beef is, but okay.
Purp likes this.
#2438 Old 03-16-2015, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaliaBeth1224 View Post
My guess that it is that meat thingy with crunched cornflakes stuck on it with egg.
Purp likes this.
#2439 Old 03-16-2015, 04:19 PM
Veggie Regular

I have never heard of that, actually.
Purp likes this.
#2440 Old 03-16-2015, 04:45 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyJade View Post
My guess that it is that meat thingy with crunched cornflakes stuck on it with egg.
Not sure if you're being funny.....?
Corned beef is beef brisket that's the number one thing to have on St Paddy's Day (at least in America). It's been cured in a very distinctive brine of very specific spices.

It's the typical meat used in Reuben sandwiches, which were my favorite.

I went nuts one year trying to come up that taste to give seitan. I finally got it right, using caraway seeds and juniper berries, and steaming it in beer. It was delicious! Funny thing is, I never wanted to do it again.

I do love Reuben sandwiches.
Vegan mayo mixed with ketchup, sweet pickle relish, and minced onion
Spread that on hearty rye bread. Top with seitan, vegan deli slices, or sauteed tempeh (I go for tempeh now). Top with lots of sauerkraut and grill (in a pan)
Purp likes this.
#2441 Old 03-16-2015, 04:52 PM
Veggie Regular

If (s)he was joking it was null because I thought (s)he was serious.
Purp likes this.
#2442 Old 03-16-2015, 08:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaliaBeth1224 View Post
Corned beef from Wikipedia (Psst, TaliaBeth...I'm a She)

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#2443 Old 03-16-2015, 11:58 PM
Lifelong vegetarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purp View Post
... and we do the veggies separately, so the veggies in the house can have them, too.
Is it possible that veggies eat veggies?
Purp and no whey jose like this.

My usual answer: I have never heard a convincing reason to eat meat.

Last edited by @rno; 03-17-2015 at 12:00 AM.
#2444 Old 03-17-2015, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
Not sure if you're being funny.....?
Corned beef is beef brisket that's the number one thing to have on St Paddy's Day (at least in America). It's been cured in a very distinctive brine of very specific spices.

It's the typical meat used in Reuben sandwiches, which were my favorite.

I went nuts one year trying to come up that taste to give seitan. I finally got it right, using caraway seeds and juniper berries, and steaming it in beer. It was delicious! Funny thing is, I never wanted to do it again.

I do love Reuben sandwiches.
Vegan mayo mixed with ketchup, sweet pickle relish, and minced onion
Spread that on hearty rye bread. Top with seitan, vegan deli slices, or sauteed tempeh (I go for tempeh now). Top with lots of sauerkraut and grill (in a pan)
I was being dead serious. Thank you for explaining. I looked up what we call it. We call it pekelvlees. Never heard of that. But when you smoke it (Idk if that is the right term) We call it pastrami. I have heard of that. Sound kinda ew to me tbh but okay.
Purp likes this.

Haters zijn gewoon praters
#2445 Old 03-17-2015, 08:51 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by @rno View Post
It's a peculiar kind of cannibalism.
Purp likes this.
#2446 Old 03-17-2015, 12:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Cool

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by no whey jose View Post
It's a peculiar kind of cannibalism.
Only in that non cannibalistic way that we do.

#2447 Old 03-31-2015, 03:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Yes! Lol! .
Purp likes this.
#2448 Old 04-21-2015, 09:23 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm so excited because my mother has told me she wants to go veggie! I think I mentioned here that I just went to the doctors for a bloodwork check and everything came back better than almost two years ago and this impressed my mother so much that she wants to go vegan. She has a heart condition and a stent so she mainly wants to do it for health reasons but I'm still excited. This is the same person who flipped when I told her I wanted to go vegetarian almost two years ago. I was shocked when she told me.
Purp, LedBoots and jessandreia like this.
#2449 Old 04-21-2015, 09:44 AM
Veggie Regular

I went to a wedding on Sunday and had requested a vegetarian (no dairy) meal. I had gone to the washroom when the second entrée (which was seafood) came. Apparently, the kitchen staff had forgotten I was vegetarian (or wasn't too aware of what vegetarian meant) and brought me the same dish. Someone at the table was nice enough to let them know I didn't eat meat, including fish.
Purp, LedBoots, elsie182 and 1 others like this.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

#2450 Old 04-22-2015, 01:32 PM
Veggie Regular

My husband and I just recently experienced a miscarriage. We were thinking a few people might blame my veganism as a cause so we spoke with our midwife to see if she knew what we could tell people. She told us "vegans have healthy babies all the time." She didn't sound even remotely concerned. She also explained sometime pregnant women (veggie and omni) have trouble getting enough iron later in pregnancy but it will effect the mother long before it could effect the baby. If we were concerned we could see a dietitian before ttc again, but she wasn't worried about us.

A short time later we had to return for an ultrasound (the miscarriage took its time completing itself) and our midwife was unavailable so we saw an OBGYN. I asked her if deli food could hurt a pregnancy because I'd read something about listeria sometimes causing a miscarriage (I read this right after having eaten at Subway). She explained the mother will get sick if its a listeria infection, so I would have known that's what had caused the miscarriage. She also explained it is generally meat which gets contaminated so, being a vegetarian, I didn't really need to worry too much about that.
#2451 Old 04-22-2015, 03:37 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellie View Post
My husband and I just recently experienced a miscarriage. We were thinking a few people might blame my veganism as a cause so we spoke with our midwife to see if she knew what we could tell people. She told us "vegans have healthy babies all the time." She didn't sound even remotely concerned. She also explained sometime pregnant women (veggie and omni) have trouble getting enough iron later in pregnancy but it will effect the mother long before it could effect the baby. If we were concerned we could see a dietitian before ttc again, but she wasn't worried about us.

A short time later we had to return for an ultrasound (the miscarriage took its time completing itself) and our midwife was unavailable so we saw an OBGYN. I asked her if deli food could hurt a pregnancy because I'd read something about listeria sometimes causing a miscarriage (I read this right after having eaten at Subway). She explained the mother will get sick if its a listeria infection, so I would have known that's what had caused the miscarriage. She also explained it is generally meat which gets contaminated so, being a vegetarian, I didn't really need to worry too much about that.
I'm sorry for your loss, Shellie. Unfortunately, miscarriages are very common, and there is usually no reason for them. I'm am OBGYN nurse, and see vegans and vegetarians have beautiful, healthy pregnancies and babies all the time.
Purp and Jasminedesi16 like this.
#2452 Old 04-23-2015, 10:21 AM
Veggie Regular

Shellie, I am so sorry for your loss. I am glad you doctor didn't blame it on being vegan. I don't think it has to do with being veggie. Many women have miscarriages no matter what they eat, they are very very common.
Purp likes this.
#2453 Old 04-23-2015, 10:52 AM
Super Moderator

Shellie, I'm so very, deeply sorry. It may comfort you to know that miscarriages are generally not caused by anything the mother has or hasn't done. Often there's an issue with the chromosomes when the sperm meets the egg, and the pregnancy just can't continue. You're no less likely to carry a healthy baby to term next time around, either. I wish you the best of luck.
LedBoots and erilol like this.
#2454 Old 04-24-2015, 03:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks, everyone. Yes, the doctor and the midwife told us the same things you all are. Miscarriage is more common than most people realize (because a lot of people don't talk about it), there usually isn't a cause (genetic anomaly, but not something the mother did wrong), and it doesn't necessarily increase the odds of subsequent miscarriages. We are excited to try for another baby but also very sad we won't be able to meet this one.
no whey jose likes this.
#2455 Old 04-25-2015, 07:07 AM
Lifelong vegetarian

Hi Shellie,

My mother and my father, both vegetarian, have raised seven vegetarian children.
Purp, LedBoots and no whey jose like this.

My usual answer: I have never heard a convincing reason to eat meat.
#2456 Old 04-25-2015, 09:59 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Hi Shellie,

My mother and my father, both vegetarian, have raised seven vegetarian children.
(((( virtual hug to your mom)))))
Purp likes this.
#2457 Old 04-28-2015, 08:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellie View Post

I'm very sorry to hear this. You're in my prayers.

#2458 Old 04-28-2015, 11:40 PM

Well, one of my favorites is when I tell people about my 100% plant-based diet and their reaction is something along the lines of... "oh, we eat a lot of fruits and vegetables too!" ... or... "we eat vegetarian as much as possible."

Oh, yeah. Sure 'ya do, hun. Sure 'ya do. *wink wink*
Purp likes this.
#2459 Old 04-29-2015, 07:46 AM
Veggie Regular

Thanks, Purp!
Purp likes this.
#2460 Old 05-13-2015, 11:24 AM
Veggie Regular

So last Friday my class went outside to join a cookout with another class and the teacher offered me a hot dog.
Me: no, thank-you. I'm a vegetarian.

He then have me grilled bannanas cook on a COMPLETLY clean foil and was just like
"Here, what's you think?"

Nice! And we did it gain today and out of nowhere he just handed me a baked potatoe to eat. Awesome!

Tags
vegan-food , Vegan , vegan-cake

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page