Nice things Omnivores say.... (and do!) - Page 80 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 340Likes

#2371 Old 05-13-2014, 06:26 AM

Yay for you and yay for him!
We do eat seperate meals, but often the same kind of meal. His one with meat, mine with veggie alternatives. The plus side is that those meals are often enough for 2 days, so no work the next day.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2372 Old 05-14-2014, 05:48 AM
Veggie Regular

My husband was nervous about telling his family he'd gone vegetarian, he didn't think they'd understand. When he told his grandma (over the weekend) she gave a restaurant recommendation of a place that serves "really good vegetables". She said she doesn't even order meat when she goes there because the vegetables are so good so that is where he and I should eat.

I believe the restaurant she recommended is the kind of place where even the veggies are cooked in animal fat... but she was trying. It was sweet and it helped my husband relax, knowing that she wasn't being judgmental.
#2373 Old 05-15-2014, 11:24 PM
Veg & two wheels

Yay for Grandma
shellie and Purp like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2374 Old 05-16-2014, 03:26 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellie View Post
My husband was nervous about telling his family he'd gone vegetarian, he didn't think they'd understand. When he told his grandma (over the weekend) she gave a restaurant recommendation of a place that serves "really good vegetables". She said she doesn't even order meat when she goes there because the vegetables are so good so that is where he and I should eat.

I believe the restaurant she recommended is the kind of place where even the veggies are cooked in animal fat... but she was trying. It was sweet and it helped my husband relax, knowing that she wasn't being judgmental.
Aww, that is sweet! She sounds very supportive.
shellie, Purp and kamizushi like this.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#2375 Old 05-16-2014, 03:32 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellie View Post

I find grandma's to often be very supportive my great grandma thought vegetarianism was just the best thing ever.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#2376 Old 05-16-2014, 05:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Or maybe grandma knows very well the vegetables are cooked in animal fat, and just wants to trick you and your husband into eating animal products... Muahahaha. *Evil hand rubbing*
Kidding.

That was nice of her.
Werewolf Girl, shellie and Purp like this.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

#2377 Old 05-17-2014, 12:12 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessandreia View Post
Or maybe grandma knows very well the vegetables are cooked in animal fat, and just wants to trick you and your husband into eating animal products... Muahahaha. *Evil hand rubbing*
Kidding.

That was nice of her.
LOL! I never even thought of that, granny might be trickier than we give her credit for.
shellie likes this.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#2378 Old 05-18-2014, 04:48 AM
Veggie Regular

My omnivore husband has gotten so used to my vegan cooking and snacks that when he does buy food outside the home, often times he chooses vegan, and sometimes without his knowing! Last night he bought a deli hummus veggie wrap from our local Whole Foods Coop because he likes hummus. I looked at the wrapper because he said it was spicy so I wanted to see what they put in it and I noticed that the entire wrap was vegan!

He also just got done building me a beautiful dresser and I am loving it!
Werewolf Girl and LedBoots like this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#2379 Old 05-18-2014, 01:04 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturebound View Post
My omnivore husband has gotten so used to my vegan cooking and snacks that when he does buy food outside the home, often times he chooses vegan, and sometimes without his knowing! Last night he bought a deli hummus veggie wrap from our local Whole Foods Coop because he likes hummus. I looked at the wrapper because he said it was spicy so I wanted to see what they put in it and I noticed that the entire wrap was vegan!

He also just got done building me a beautiful dresser and I am loving it!
Habit can be a beautiful thing sometimes.

I have terrible willpower and I have a hard time denying myself things so force of habit is how I've made pretty much all big changes in my life. Rather than trying to force yourself to change you just gradually introduce new things until you get so used to it it becomes second nature.

It reminds me of this quote:

#2380 Old 05-25-2014, 09:40 AM

I went to a cook-out yesterday. The hostess was incredible. There were about 30 people, and three of us are vegetarian.

She made EVERY side dish vegetarian friendly, to the point of having bought a small second grill to grill veggies on to avoid contact with the burgers/hot dogs. She also made homemade veggie burgers. All her deserts were vegan, except for the ice cream (and she had coconut ice cream available too.) Apparently the day before the cook-out, she read that marshmallows aren't vegetarian, so she she even hunted down vegan marshmallows to have available for toasting.

She even made extras of the veggie burgers so anyone could try some, and if they didn't we could take them home as leftovers. But they got gobbled right up. She said her goal was to make sure everyone went home well-fed, regardless of food restrictions due to ethical choices, allergies, etc.

One of other vegetarians and I were so appreciative of the steps she took to insure that there was plenty of vegetarian options available, and that we weren't stuck with only salad again. Sadly, the other vegetarian griped loudly about her serving meat at all.
Purp and LedBoots like this.
#2381 Old 05-25-2014, 10:05 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyme View Post
I went to a cook-out yesterday. The hostess was incredible. There were about 30 people, and three of us are vegetarian.

She made EVERY side dish vegetarian friendly, to the point of having bought a small second grill to grill veggies on to avoid contact with the burgers/hot dogs. She also made homemade veggie burgers. All her deserts were vegan, except for the ice cream (and she had coconut ice cream available too.) Apparently the day before the cook-out, she read that marshmallows aren't vegetarian, so she she even hunted down vegan marshmallows to have available for toasting.

She even made extras of the veggie burgers so anyone could try some, and if they didn't we could take them home as leftovers. But they got gobbled right up. She said her goal was to make sure everyone went home well-fed, regardless of food restrictions due to ethical choices, allergies, etc.

One of other vegetarians and I were so appreciative of the steps she took to insure that there was plenty of vegetarian options available, and that we weren't stuck with only salad again. Sadly, the other vegetarian griped loudly about her serving meat at all.
That sounds great! How rude of the third vegetarian, when the hostess had clearly done a great job.

My grandmother was not very supportive of vegetarianism at first. Today, though, I had made a vegetarian dinner for mother's day (which is today where I live) which received plentiful compliments. She also asked me to gather some recipes I like, so she had some ideas what she could cook for me
#2382 Old 05-26-2014, 06:38 PM
Veggie Regular

I would probably be the vegan to pull the other vegetarian aside and lecture them about gratefully receiving hospitality because we so rarely get this great of a welcome. I invite non-vegan people over for vegan meals at my own house, and then it's reasonable to ask people to bring only plant foods to share, but to demand that at someone else's house is just asking for vegetarians never to be accommodated or even invited again.
Purp likes this.
#2383 Old 05-27-2014, 05:53 AM
Veggie Regular

I recently went out of state for my cousin's wedding. The day after the wedding we all (except the married couple) went to my other cousin's house for breakfast. Upon arrival we told her that my husband and I are vegetarian, bad timing but things had been too hectic with wedding planning I just didn't think about mentioning it sooner. She didn't bat an eye or act put out at all, she asked if we eat eggs (I hadn't even mentioned being vegan) because she didn't want to make a suggestion that wouldn't appeal to us.

I have a very supportive/accommodating family. We always make sure everyone is well fed!
Purp and Crochetlove like this.
#2384 Old 05-28-2014, 11:18 PM
Lifelong vegetarian

Yesterday I ate with old colleagues in a vegetarian restaurant (De Eetstee, Amersfoort, Holland). We do this every year, but then they choose the restaurant, usually with lots of expensive meat. This time I was allowed to pick the restaurant. There was a dish served with lots of lettuce. I gave them the order to eat the lettuce. Normally, when eating a hamburger they put it aside.

Everything was served, was completely eaten. Nothing was left. Only clean plates.

They were surprised by the different flavors.
Purp likes this.

My usual answer: I have never heard a convincing reason to eat meat.
#2385 Old 05-29-2014, 05:51 AM
Veggie Regular

My husband and I stayed at a B&B over the weekend. We told the owner that we were vegan. She ended up making 3 different (but similar) breakfasts for the 3 different couples. She made whole wheat blueberry pancakes for everyone (ours were vegan). She made bacon for one couple, turkey bacon for the pork free couple, and vegan bacon for us. It was quite tasty.
#2386 Old 05-29-2014, 07:01 PM

I recently started seeing a chiropractor for my back pain. During my first visit, the doc asked about my diet and I told him I was vegetarian. He said that's awesome and asked if I still ate dairy. I told him yes, but that I am slowly cutting it out. He said good, you need to cut out dairy and you'll feel the difference. He even gave me some supplements, pro-enzyme to take.

It was nice to see a doc so supportive of veg. diets.
#2387 Old 06-09-2014, 07:25 AM
Veggie Regular

We went to a cook out at our friends house and they all know my dietary preferences. They went out of there way to make sure i got a veggieburger. They cleaned the grill off and cooked my burg befor they cooked the dead animals on there. And they bought them themselves. I offered to bring my own and they were like no no your a guest well get you some.
It was just so nice. Im not use to people going out of there way to make sure i have something to eat.
Werewolf Girl, Purp and LedBoots like this.
#2388 Old 06-09-2014, 08:32 AM
Veg & two wheels

Well I've just had a weekend with my omni girlfriend and today she complimented a veggie Spanish style casserole and hasn't eaten meat all the time she was away with me
Werewolf Girl, silva, Purp and 2 others like this.
#2389 Old 06-11-2014, 09:47 PM
Veggie Regular

My omni boyfriend, his omni dad, and I were eating dinner out the other night and his dad turned to me and started telling me about how he and his girlfriend have been going to this restaurant near where we live and how it has a ton of vegetarian and vegan menu options. I looked it up later online, and the place looks awesome! At least half the menu is vegetarian, all of the vegan menu options are marked, and there are vegan options in every section of the menu. Wow!

I think what really impressed me was the way he recommended the restaurant using the same tone of voice he would for any general restaurant recommendation. He didn't act like he was doing me a huge favor by helping me find places to eat, or like it was a "weird" restaurant for serving vegan food. It was "hey they have a lot of vegan food" the way you might say "hey, they have a lot of Italian food." I get so used to people making a huge deal about my lifestyle choices, and being treated like there isn't anything special about it was a really, really refreshing change.
Werewolf Girl and LedBoots like this.
#2390 Old 06-12-2014, 06:58 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm getting together with a couple of friends for dinner tonight. My friend Angela was trying to find a restaurant all three of us would like. She asked me what kind of food I like. I didn't want to be difficult so I told her I was vegetarian and as long as the restaurant had a couple of meatless options I'd be fine. She didn't want me picking through a limited selection so she found us an entirely vegan restaurant!
Werewolf Girl, Purp and LedBoots like this.
#2391 Old 06-12-2014, 09:24 AM
Zelda Freak

I just moved in with a new roommate - she's not vegan. BUT she'll cook vegan for me sometimes AND she actually asked, "Hey, are there any dishes you have that you'd rather I not cook non-vegan in?"

I don't care much about dishes, because you can wash them - well, minus cutting boards. I never want people cutting meat on a veggie cutting board, but it's so decent she thought to ask.

Good roommate!!

~ Jennifer

* Find VeggieBoards:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

+

* Find me:
+
+
#2392 Old 06-12-2014, 06:53 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer C View Post
I just moved in with a new roommate - she's not vegan. BUT she'll cook vegan for me sometimes AND she actually asked, "Hey, are there any dishes you have that you'd rather I not cook non-vegan in?"

I don't care much about dishes, because you can wash them - well, minus cutting boards. I never want people cutting meat on a veggie cutting board, but it's so decent she thought to ask.

Good roommate!!
That's awesome! Good roommates are so hard to find, sounds like you really got lucky.

#2393 Old 07-02-2014, 01:58 PM

My grandad eats meats but nothing he has to prepare and no pork. When I first went vegetarian my whole family was really mean but my grandad thanked me for caring so much about animals

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
#2394 Old 07-02-2014, 02:14 PM

I am a very new vegetarian (4 days and strong! ) and a lot of my teenage friends just ask; 'why?' And then go on to claim which foods they would miss if they turned veggie.
Werewolf Girl and Purp like this.
#2395 Old 07-02-2014, 05:27 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by oodlesofnoodles View Post
I am a very new vegetarian (4 days and strong! ) and a lot of my teenage friends just ask; 'why?' And then go on to claim which foods they would miss if they turned veggie.
That's a pretty typical reaction. Just give them time, they'll get over it.
Purp likes this.

#2396 Old 07-08-2014, 06:47 AM

I made two decisions in the past few months. One was to leave one of my jobs (I worked 3) to be able to free up the time to pursue a longtime goal. The other was to give up dairy. Both have been going well, but I do have to be careful with money. Recently, I was collywobbling to a friend--who grew up on a dairy farm-- about how hot it was, and how I really wanted ice cream but I can't justify the price of the non-dairy alternatives right now. A couple of days later, she shows up with a box of greens from her garden, and in the bottom of the box were 4 cartons of so delicious coconut ice cream.
#2397 Old 07-08-2014, 07:45 AM
Beginner

I told my husband (who I just moved back in with after a year of living apart thanks to jobs) I was in the process switching my diet and no longer buy any meat to have at the house or cook and he shrugged and said "awesome" and hasn't made a big deal of it at all. He's trying (and eating) everything I make- even the vegan lasagna with "ricotta" that's a blend of tofu, chopped spinach, olive oil, and nootch- he had seconds and thirds. Doesn't ask me to buy or cook meat products or anything. He even offered to try meat-free 'sausage' patties in the frozen breakfast sandwiches I'm making for him (since the prepackaged ones are so godawfully unhealthy and full of processed junk).
It's making the transition significantly easier.
#2398 Old 07-09-2014, 11:48 PM

Anole, my husband is reacting similarly. It's great! I've told him that I'll cook him chicken if he asks (we have lots in the freezer) but it's pretty much been a non-issue.

I spilled the beans (ha!) to a couple of long-time friends. The reaction was "As long as you keep sharing recipes with us then we're cool." They're both omni, but they eat veg meals fairly often.
#2399 Old 07-15-2014, 02:33 PM
Veggie Regular

On the phone with Mom this morning - Mom was just diagnosed with gallstones and is facing surgery, plus the doctor has put her on a restricted diet... Mom said: "You will never have to worry about this because you eat healthy." It was a nice compliment, but I am also very sad because Mom is in a world of hurt right now. :-(
Purp, elsie182 and Ashlization85 like this.
#2400 Old 07-16-2014, 08:56 AM
Veggie Regular

Over fourth of July me and my parents had to go to some picnics. I was shocked because my parents kept bragging how I was vegetarian saying how healthy and compassionate I was. I was so shocked. About two days ago my mom was at work and people were handing out PETA flyers for going Vegan and she brought me home one and was looking at it with me and then yesterday we went out to eat and she got a veggie burger with me!

Tags
vegan-food , Vegan , vegan-cake

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page