Nice things Omnivores say.... (and do!) - Page 77 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 340Likes

#2281 Old 12-29-2013, 09:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepgomoo View Post

Visiting my parents this weekend- Also just told my mom I've decided to go vegetarian fully (I've flirted with it, off and on for various long-winded reasons for nearly 10 years) after she mentioned making a big batch of bbq pork for everyone (since there's going to be lots of people coming and going), and without missing a beat she was like "That's great! You know, since you've moved out I've gotten worse about eating plenty of vegetables, maybe you could give me some ideas?" As for the meal, she got really excited about grilling some mixed veggies, and has assured me there's going to be some meat free options.
She also wants me to bring the Veganomicon with me so we can geek out over it. Hooray mom!

Ooh I just got the Veganomicon for Christmas from my omni boyfriend. He told me that if I make him what's in that book he will definitely eat it. I'm excited to get started and to get him eating vegan dinners! Which is another nice thing an omnivore has done.
Aristede, Werewolf Girl and River like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2282 Old 12-29-2013, 04:25 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by natty6 View Post

Ooh I just got the Veganomicon for Christmas from my omni boyfriend. He told me that if I make him what's in that book he will definitely eat it. I'm excited to get started and to get him eating vegan dinners! Which is another nice thing an omnivore has done.

That's awesome! There are a lot of great recipes in that book, you're going to have a lot of fun. lick.gif

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#2283 Old 12-29-2013, 05:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

That's awesome! There are a lot of great recipes in that book, you're going to have a lot of fun. lick.gif

Oh yay, I'd never heard of it but apparently he did a good deal of research and found that was the best recipe book. I'm mostly excited that he is finally willing to eat vegan dinners if I can make them tastey.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2284 Old 12-29-2013, 09:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I've had Veganomicon for years and it's a great cookbook. I need to go back and make some more recipes from it, since lately I've been trying a lot of recipes from different blogs. It's definitely a near-definitive all-purpose cookbook.

I suggest the Kale and Potato Enchiladas and Pasta della California, just to name a couple. 

Aristede:book: 

Werewolf Girl and natty6 like this.

"Now listen, I know you've got to think about your image, 'cause image is important to you, because of course your friends are gonna dictate your actions through the rest of your lives, and I wouldn't want you to step away from them and become an individual, that would almost be too much!"...

#2285 Old 12-30-2013, 05:50 PM
Super Moderator

As much as I love Isa, PPK, and Appetite for Reduction, I just don't like Veganomicon.

It was the first book I bought, and do make some stuff, but just to put it out there-some people don't appreciate it. Seems like it's everyones favorite!

Vegan Cookies do Invade my Cookie Jar! Those gingersnaps, mocha mamas, citrus glitters...

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#2286 Old 12-31-2013, 06:49 PM
Veggie Regular

My family bought me a food processor!!! :bobo:

Werewolf Girl and Kath like this.
#2287 Old 01-01-2014, 06:37 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamizushi View Post

My family bought me a food processor!!! broccoli.gif

That's awesome! What are you going to make with it?

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#2288 Old 01-02-2014, 11:29 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

That's awesome! What are you going to make with it?

Mostly humous but I think it will also be useful for soups and veggie stew. Probably not for smoothies though because I already have a hand blender for that and it's easier to wash.

#2289 Old 01-03-2014, 11:41 PM

I've always loved this alfredo sauce that my mom would make for pasta, but it contains parmesan cheese so I gave it up and it was one of the things I've really missed. Well, I was so surprised when my mom made it for dinner, and made me my own sauce with veg*n parmesan. Though I'm not vegan, she knows that I try to cut down on animal products as much as I possibly can and so she even used soy based cream and fake butter, so it was free of all animal products. It was delicious, and since I was the only one who ate it, I saved the rest of it and now all I have to do is boil some pasta and it will be an easy meal, especially for lunch at work! I'm was appreciative, she definitely didn't have to do that for me, but it made my day!! 

Aristede and Purp like this.
#2290 Old 01-07-2014, 05:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by erika20 View Post

I've always loved this alfredo sauce that my mom would make for pasta, but it contains parmesan cheese so I gave it up and it was one of the things I've really missed. Well, I was so surprised when my mom made it for dinner, and made me my own sauce with veg*n parmesan. Though I'm not vegan, she knows that I try to cut down on animal products as much as I possibly can and so she even used soy based cream and fake butter, so it was free of all animal products. It was delicious, and since I was the only one who ate it, I saved the rest of it and now all I have to do is boil some pasta and it will be an easy meal, especially for lunch at work! I'm was appreciative, she definitely didn't have to do that for me, but it made my day!! 

Grand! :yes:

"Now listen, I know you've got to think about your image, 'cause image is important to you, because of course your friends are gonna dictate your actions through the rest of your lives, and I wouldn't want you to step away from them and become an individual, that would almost be too much!"...

#2291 Old 01-07-2014, 09:02 PM
Veggie Regular

I really doubt she'll make the change, but my aunt (whom I live with) just watched the entire Gary Yourofsky speech because I asked her to.

Although (like I said) I doubt very much she'll ever change, she did not make any excuses to eat meat and dairy, so that was nice.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

#2292 Old 01-12-2014, 05:50 PM
Veggie Regular

I heard my "food-isnt-a-meal-without-meat" boyfriend talking to our friend say "I'm actually trying to eat less meat." I just about did cartwheels, as this was the first I was hearing of this. Then it got better. Our friend said "oh really?" and he said "yes I'm starting to think that meat is something that should be enjoyed occasionally." I'm floored. This came out of nowhere; I don't put any pressure on him to change his ways unless he brings it up. Until three weeks ago he wouldn't even try my vegan meals. I guess he really liked my food once he finally did try it.
Purp likes this.
#2293 Old 01-12-2014, 10:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I heard my "food-isnt-a-meal-without-meat" boyfriend talking to our friend say "I'm actually trying to eat less meat." I just about did cartwheels, as this was the first I was hearing of this. Then it got better. Our friend said "oh really?" and he said "yes I'm starting to think that meat is something that should be enjoyed occasionally." I'm floored. This came out of nowhere; I don't put any pressure on him to change his ways unless he brings it up. Until three weeks ago he wouldn't even try my vegan meals. I guess he really liked my food once he finally did try it.

This makes me think. We vegans are really an untapped resource for omnis. We will gladly cook their every meals as long as it's vegan. You'd think not having meat ,cheeze and eggs to would be a small price to pay for your personal cook, wouldn't you?  :p 

Purp likes this.
#2294 Old 01-13-2014, 04:07 AM

I have a friend who always asks first if I mind her ordering meat when we eat out :)

And although he pulls a face when I try to get him to eat it, my omni hubby is always bigging up my vegan cooking to his veg colleagues :)

kamizushi and 60225 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
https://www.facebook.com/flash.gordonette.5

Twitter: @Flashgordonette

#2295 Old 02-13-2014, 05:22 PM

Went to Denny's for lunch today. It was one of my first eating-out trips since cutting out eggs and dairy,and I know that their veggie burgers are vegan. I was looking at the build your own burger menu and thought I'd ask about the jalapeno bottle caps. The girl was not only not-ticked-off, she was super nice and went to find out if their coating contained eggs or milk. (Turns out they contain both, so they were not on my sandwich). I then decide my order and at the last minute remember to ask if their sauteed mushrooms (one of my toppings) were sauteed in butter. She said "if they are normally, I will make sure that yours are not!" She not only wrote it on the order, she went back and watched the cook make it ! When she brought our food out she told us about her vegetarian little sister and how she's really proud of her and always watches out for ingredients for her. When she brought out our check she also drew a smiley face on it! This waitress made my day! smiley.gif
Aristede, Purp and kamizushi like this.
#2296 Old 02-13-2014, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADarkDraconis View Post

Went to Denny's for lunch today. It was one of my first eating-out trips since cutting out eggs and dairy,and I know that their veggie burgers are vegan. I was looking at the build your own burger menu and thought I'd ask about the jalapeno bottle caps. The girl was not only not-ticked-off, she was super nice and went to find out if their coating contained eggs or milk. (Turns out they contain both, so they were not on my sandwich). I then decide my order and at the last minute remember to ask if their sauteed mushrooms (one of my toppings) were sauteed in butter. She said "if they are normally, I will make sure that yours are not!" She not only wrote it on the order, she went back and watched the cook make it ! When she brought our food out she told us about her vegetarian little sister and how she's really proud of her and always watches out for ingredients for her. When she brought out our check she also drew a smiley face on it! This waitress made my day! smiley.gif

That's really sweet of her!! It's so reassuring too, to know that what you're eating truly contains no animal products. I love waiters and waitresses that are so caring. Once I went to a pub-type place that didn't have many options for me but the waitress was also a vegetarian and knew whether or not everything was vegetarian. She also knew the 'hidden' things like Worcestershire sauce and gelatin which was a big help! 

Purp and kamizushi like this.
#2297 Old 02-13-2014, 06:29 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

I went to this cool microbrewery restaurant with my adult daughter tonight. They had some awesome things on the menu, including a vegan Cuban sandwich that was crazy good. The server was nice and understood vegan/vegetarian, plus recommended a delicioso IPA brewed right there.

Not too $$ either. smiley.gif Plus any place with hummus on the menu is a friends of mine! smiley.gif
Aristede, Purp, erika20 and 1 others like this.
#2298 Old 02-14-2014, 10:57 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post

Plus any place with hummus on the menu is a friends of mine! smiley.gif

Yes smiley.gif
kamizushi likes this.
#2299 Old 02-15-2014, 01:24 PM

My dad went to the food store yesterday (which he NEVER does- my mother usually goes but she's been away and we've been getting tons of snow lately, so everyone is constantly trying to keep food fully stocked) and came home with like everything veg*n in the store. Frozen stuff, prepared stuff, canned soups, EVERYTHING. Some of it looks really good! Some of it I would never pick out but I'll still try it. I've actually been trying to eat less processed food but it does come in handy sometimes, especially when I'm snowed in with no fresh ingredients. I was just happy that he thought of me, I didn't think he was thrilled about me going vegetarian but I guess he's really warmed up! My parents have been having a lot of fun finding things for me, I think it's like a scavenger hunt as to who can get the best veg*n stuff! 

Aristede and kamizushi like this.
#2300 Old 02-16-2014, 02:54 PM

The other day an omni jokingly suggested that we beat up three other omnis who were being douchey about my being a vegan. It was pretty cool. :D

60225 and roflysst like this.
#2301 Old 02-16-2014, 05:34 PM
Veggie Regular

We went to a retirement party for our church's office manager, and it was "High Tea", meaning egg salad sandwiches, tuna sandwiches, and salmon sandwiches. I asked on of the wait staff if there was any veggie sandwiches, and there was!! With no mayo!! With mayo free veggie sandwiches and an abundance of fruit, I didn't starve!!! :pibo: 

kamizushi likes this.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#2302 Old 02-17-2014, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenore View Post

I've been told by my coworkers that they appreciate I'm not a "food nazi". Which isn't so much a complement on my veg*nism as relief that I don't make them feel too bad about their own lifestyles...but hey, whatever I can do to make veg*ns seem less weird or unlikable.

You honestlt get it dude. If all vegans comeoff as zealot health freaks with no tolerance, how can anyone expect thcarnivores and omnivorees to do so. We have to be accepting of everyones lifestyle, wrong or right perceptionally

Friends and family have expressed that they admire my commitment and compassion, and it feels good that they see those things as well as the more annoying (to them) aspects of my lifestyle and the mild obssessions that seem to go along with it.
#2303 Old 02-18-2014, 11:16 PM
Veggie Regular

My boyfriend agreed to eat vegan, or at least vegetarian if there are no vegan options, whenever we eat out. Hopefully he keeps his word. He doesn't eat as much meat as most people I know, but I'd like to see him cut down on the cheese, which he has almost every day.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

#2304 Old 02-19-2014, 05:19 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessAndreia View Post

My boyfriend agreed to eat vegan, or at least vegetarian if there are no vegan options, whenever we eat out. Hopefully he keeps his word. He doesn't eat as much meat as most people I know, but I'd like to see him cut down on the cheese, which he has almost every day.

Yeah cheese is usually that hardest to cut out. I know the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine says it's because there are hormones in milk that make it addicting. I don't know how true it is.

#2305 Old 02-19-2014, 11:16 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Yeah cheese is usually that hardest to cut out. I know the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine says it's because there are hormones in milk that make it addicting. I don't know how true it is.

Cheese is the item I find myself occasionally returning to. I have always been a big fan of wine and fruit and cheese trays. For me, it's not an issue of addiction because I don't eat cheese every day, but a matter of loving those very complex flavors (umami) found in cheese. Vegan nut cheeses have some of the complexity, but they are super-expensive compared to regular cheese or they require I make them myself, which is time-consuming. Hmm..

#2306 Old 02-19-2014, 04:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aristede View Post

Cheese is the item I find myself occasionally returning to. I have always been a big fan of wine and fruit and cheese trays. For me, it's not an issue of addiction because I don't eat cheese every day, but a matter of loving those very complex flavors (umami) found in cheese. Vegan nut cheeses have some of the complexity, but they are super-expensive compared to regular cheese or they require I make them myself, which is time-consuming. Hmm..

Oh I love a bit of cheese and wine together!

You may have already tried the range, but Cheezly are a good alternative and not too expensive, especially if you treat it as a 'treat' not a staple. My partner absolutely loved them, he was really missing cheese when we cut it out for a month.

#2307 Old 02-20-2014, 06:48 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

The chemicals are casomorphins which scientists believe hold the purpose of keeping calves close to their mothers via addiction. Casomorphins are also believed to be highly addictive to humans. Last time I researched this the evidence strongly pointed towards this being true but the jury was still out on it.
#2308 Old 02-20-2014, 07:59 AM
Veggie Regular

So, on the bus the oter day I was talking to my friend. And I already knew she was anti-animal testing.(awesome!) and as a good friendif mine has goofed to the point where she intorduces me with a warning about me being a vegetarian(okay....?)
She knew that.
And evidentially she randomly decided she was going to attempt to become vegetarian.
Let's just say I looked weird. Though I did give her this website as a reference.smiley.gif
Influence. See?
#2309 Old 02-20-2014, 11:20 AM
Veggie Regular

^ yay, fantastic news.
#2310 Old 02-20-2014, 03:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaliaBeth1224 View Post

So, on the bus the oter day I was talking to my friend. And I already knew she was anti-animal testing.(awesome!) and as a good friendif mine has goofed to the point where she intorduces me with a warning about me being a vegetarian(okay....?)
She knew that.
And evidentially she randomly decided she was going to attempt to become vegetarian.
Let's just say I looked weird. Though I did give her this website as a reference.smiley.gif
Influence. See?

Uh, warned? What does she do? AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Run for your lives!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's a vegetarian!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On topic, I'm glad your friend has decided to go vegetarian.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.

Tags
vegan-food , Vegan , vegan-cake

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page