Nice things Omnivores say.... (and do!) - Page 13 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 340Likes

#361 Old 03-08-2007, 09:41 AM

One of my dear friends, who is totally omni, noticed how difficult it was to find things that were vegan AND that I wasn't allergic to on the menu of the restaurant we went to. So, she offered to have our next get together at her house and cook a vegan, non-allergenic meal. Isn't that the best?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#362 Old 03-08-2007, 12:15 PM
Veggie Regular

One of patients was whinging to Doc about the diet that her other doctor put her on to heal some major toxicity in her body. Doc, after looking at allllll the paperwork this woman has, says "You need to talk to her (pointing to me). She's the QUEEN of the healing diet and she's got tons of good recipes, too."

I think I floated a good 12" off the floor when he said that.

And no, I didn't tell the woman that her doctor put her on a real foods vegan diet, either (although she did get a few recipes out of me).
#363 Old 03-09-2007, 02:03 PM
Beginner

There's this one girl who I eat lunch with every day and I have recentley gotten into the habit of cooking lunch for her. Unfortunatley, I can't experiment my new recipes on her (she likes peanut-butter and bannana pancake sandwiches), but it doesn't matter. I make a different lunch for me because I usually like to eat something beyond frozen waffles and maple syrup for lunch. Anyways, since I'm going grocery shopping tommorow, I asked her what she wanted me to pick up her her lunches besides peanut butter, jelly, and waffles. She said that was all she wanted, but she likes soup and that minestrone would be nice so I could eat it, too, and not have to make another lunch for myself.

It may not sound like much, but coming from her it was really nice. Especially considering that at first she was a bit weird about my veg*nism. This totally made my day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#364 Old 03-29-2007, 01:44 PM
Veggie Regular

We were driving around trying to decide where to eat, and the omni husband said, jokingly, "We could eat at that barbecue place."

Me: I can eat there. I could have onion rings, and a salad.

Omni Husband: No, that's not a meal.
#365 Old 03-29-2007, 03:06 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm glad to see this thread! I haven't heard a derogatory comment from an omni yet. Granted, it's only been 7 weeks, but it has come up many times. So far everyone is very supportive. Then again, I am bigger than everyone else I know...
#366 Old 03-30-2007, 06:40 AM
Veggie Regular

I was debating whether I should put this here or in the "stupid things" thread. But it wasn't a stupid thing so much as a silly thing, and the intentions were good (She's been absolutely wonderful to me and I would feel horrible quoting her in the 'stupid things' thread!).

I was talking to the recruiter who was handling my hiring at a local hospital regarding my upcoming attendance at the orientation. I was asking if it was ok for me to bring my own lunch.

Her: Well, they give you a ticket for a free lunch that day, so you don't have to buy your lunch. Well, unless you are on a special diet.

Me: Well, I am a strict vegetarian, so it can be tricky sometimes.

Her: Oh, you mean you're a vegan?

Me: Yes

Her: (after clarifying that meant no dairy, etc).. and even still you have such nice skin!

(I was tempted to say that it was more likely because of it rather than in spite of it, but I didn't want to go into it much farther! )
#367 Old 03-30-2007, 09:21 AM
Veggie Regular

Bf: Has anyone ever tried to force you to eat meat?

Me: Yeah, at school quite a lot

Bf: That's awful, there's no point. I'd never ask you to eat meat.

We had an order from a place once... he had a chicken burger i had a veggie one.

He accidently passed me the wrong one, i noticed just as i was about to eat it, and he was soooo sorry bless him! Said he really didn't mean to make a mistake and that he was so so sorry.
#368 Old 03-31-2007, 09:28 AM
Veggie Regular

Just last night my friend looked over at a dish I had ordered, and told me she thought there was chicken in it. She tried some, and sure enough there was. Sent the dish back, got a new one, and everything was okay. I just thought it was nice of my friend to be looking out for me, even though she's an omni.
#369 Old 03-31-2007, 06:58 PM
Beginner

My friend and I went out for lunch today and she made an effort to make sure we went to one that had something good for me =D And she said she wanted to try a veggie dinner one night. It was nice.

My other friend has also made up the term 'veggielicious' for anything that I eat XD
#370 Old 04-01-2007, 04:51 AM
Veggie Regular

my aunt and her boyfriend came over last night with a ton of food because my dad was cooking but they brought totilla chips, salsa, guac, that kind of thing...anyway, they label read in the supermarket and made sure to get everything vegan except the sour cream dip. Even though, "I strained my eyes recently and Neil didn't have his glasses" awwww.
#371 Old 04-01-2007, 09:02 AM
Veggie Regular

Last night I hosted a cast party and made a bunch of awesome vegan food for my cast: black bean salsa, the Isa Pizza from Vegan with a Vengeance (I even made my own pizza dough and tomato sauce), and chocolate chip cookies. It was really, really good, if I do say so myself, and one girl was saying "Wow, why aren't I vegan? You've inspired me." She also ate like five cookies.
#372 Old 04-01-2007, 08:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by isowish View Post

my gran: [re the soup she made because I was coming round] you would never have eaten it if you knew it had soymilk in.

my grandpa: oh come on. It's once every six months, for my granddaughter. I can take it.

---

grandpa: [re: vegan cookies] they taste just like normal ones!

okay so if you're sensitive both of these could be seen as insulting, but this is my grandpa coming a long way acceptence-wise

In my opinion, that's really cute for some reason.
#373 Old 04-02-2007, 04:30 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudcovering View Post

In my opinion, that's really cute for some reason.

I think so too
#374 Old 04-02-2007, 09:53 AM
Veggie Regular

A co-worker and I were talking about skin care and I made a comment about how a new moisturizer seemed to be making a difference with my skin. She said "Your skin is great because you eat so well." She has started cutting meat from her diet. I think that is a huge thing for her. When I started working with her two years ago she was an Atkins fan.
#375 Old 04-02-2007, 10:51 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerSn0ws View Post

We were driving around trying to decide where to eat, and the omni husband said, jokingly, "We could eat at that barbecue place."

Me: I can eat there. I could have onion rings, and a salad.

Omni Husband: No, that's not a meal.

my hubby is the same way - it's so nice to have good support!
#376 Old 04-02-2007, 01:58 PM
Veggie Regular

(we were drunk)

Random: Hey do you want marshmellows?

Me: No can't eat them

My friend: NO [me] DON'T EAT THEM YOU CAN'T

Me: I'm not

My friend: *throws them away* NO [me] CAN'T EAT THEM NO ONE LET HER EAT THEM

Bless her. She got really worked up about it! She was worried I, being drunk, would forget and eat one!

Oh and in PSRE we watched a film on animal testing and she covered my eyes and told me not to watch

Oh and another time we were going out and these buys were buying un-veg beer, so I said it's okay I wont drink but my friend rang them up and told them not to and told them what beer to buy and said if they didn't get something I could drink she wouldn't bother going - so they did!

Very good Omnis
#377 Old 04-02-2007, 02:49 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Identity_thief View Post

(we were drunk)

Bless her. She got really worked up about it! She was worried I, being drunk, would forget and eat one!

Oh and in PSRE we watched a film on animal testing and she covered my eyes and told me not to watch

Oh and another time we were going out and these buys were buying un-veg beer, so I said it's okay I wont drink but my friend rang them up and told them not to and told them what beer to buy and said if they didn't get something I could drink she wouldn't bother going - so they did!

Very good Omnis

That made me laugh. ^.^ Your friend is definitley very awesome.
#378 Old 04-03-2007, 03:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Was eating dinner at my boyfriends house on Sunday. We were sat there eating and he turned and said to me "i can't eat the rest of this cr*p.. wish they'd given me what you've got.. i don't even really like sunday roast"

I thought, awwww ace hehe.
#379 Old 04-04-2007, 10:23 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatricious View Post

Last night I hosted a cast party and made a bunch of awesome vegan food for my cast: black bean salsa, the Isa Pizza from Vegan with a Vengeance (I even made my own pizza dough and tomato sauce), and chocolate chip cookies. It was really, really good, if I do say so myself, and one girl was saying "Wow, why aren't I vegan? You've inspired me." She also ate like five cookies.

Do you have any of those cookies lefted? Haha.
#380 Old 04-06-2007, 07:52 AM
Veggie Regular

Whilst checking a menu for a vegan restaurant we're eating at tomorrow, making sure my dad can eat something, my very non vegan dad comes up with this.

Dad : "Is there tofu?"

Me: "Yep two tofu options"

Dad: "thats great then, i'll be fine"

And he was serious.

Not exactly nice as such, but i can honestly say i never thought i'd see the day where my dad was looking for tofu on a menu.
#381 Old 04-06-2007, 08:03 AM
Beginner

I work for a food company and part of our orientation is going to what they call "Tech School" which is a cooking school where you make all kinds of treats. You make more than you could ever eat by yourself so the people who go usually bring the food back to share with co-workers.

One of my co-workers went yesterday and brought back a ton of food, but I assumed it wasn't vegan, so I ignored it. One of my other co-workers came up to me and said "Hey Courtney, she made you a cheeseless pizza!"

It wasn't anything she said but it meant a lot to me that she thought of me. I've only told one or two people at work I'm going vegan when it came up but I guess word gets around fast! :P
#382 Old 04-15-2007, 04:05 PM
Veggie Regular

I recently made home made soymilk, and I was telling my (omni) bf about it. During the conversation, he asked if they were any milk substitutes on the market that tasted more like milk. I came up with a few brands of soymilk, but he insisted that none of them tasted quite right. So I asked: "Why do you ask? I'm lactose intolerant, so I prefer soymilk, but you drink regular milk and you're fine with it".

And here is his awesome reply: "Yes, but the cows were probably mistreated in order to get the milk, whereas nobody hurt the soybeans by milking them".

#383 Old 04-15-2007, 06:28 PM
Veggie Regular

I was making (dairy) ice cream with my girlfriend and a buddy James over easter, and hinting that maybe next time we make tofu ice cream instead. He gave me a blank look and said "...but, but, you have to milk the cows! What's mean about that?" I drug him off to my girlfriend's laptop (with him saying "I really, really would rather not know...") where the three of us gathered round and watched meet your meat and meatrix. By the end, both had consented to 'vegan next time' and the other day he called to let me know that since then he's tried several meat substitutes and plans to continue cutting back, and when he does eat omni start buying 'more ethical' meat, dairy and eggs!
#384 Old 04-16-2007, 11:13 AM
Beginner

When I started getting to know this extremely carnivorous guy (who is now my boyfriend), he used to make fun of me when we went to the grocery store because of my soy ice cream and fake bacon. Then one day he said, "Kate, now that I know you, I hate vegetarians much less."

Yay!
#385 Old 04-17-2007, 01:01 AM
Veggie Regular

nice story, thanks for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Cringe* View Post

I was making (dairy) ice cream with my girlfriend and a buddy James over easter, and hinting that maybe next time we make tofu ice cream instead. He gave me a blank look and said "...but, but, you have to milk the cows! What's mean about that?" I drug him off to my girlfriend's laptop (with him saying "I really, really would rather not know...") where the three of us gathered round and watched meet your meat and meatrix. By the end, both had consented to 'vegan next time' and the other day he called to let me know that since then he's tried several meat substitutes and plans to continue cutting back, and when he does eat omni start buying 'more ethical' meat, dairy and eggs!

#386 Old 04-21-2007, 11:10 AM
Veggie Regular

I just remembered this. when i visited my parents for easter weekend, my mother told me that from now on she will always buy free-range eggs because she saw a picture somewhere (in the paper, I think?) of how factory farm chickens are kept. She sounded horrified. I didn't have the heart to tell her that free-range eggs aren't much better, and that meat-chickens are treated essentially the same way too. I don't really know what to suggest as an alternative besides cutting out eggs, which i don't think she would do...I am going to email her something when I think of something

Also, we ordered chinese food the one night and I got scheswan tofu. My dad likes spicy things so he tried some of his own accord... I have NEVER seen him try tofu before! He said it was actually pretty good! I wasn't able to eat it all and I was going home the next day and I didn't have room to take back the leftovers. He said "that's okay, I'll probably eat it!" I couldn't believe it, but I'm really happy my family is becoming more open to veg*nism!

It's not in what you say, it's in what you do (Oasis)

Feeling bored? Why don't you wander over to my blog sometime. http://thebohemiankitchen.wordpress.com
#387 Old 04-21-2007, 01:13 PM

Ever since I've become vegetarian my family has been extremely tolerant to my needs. When I come home from college for breaks she makes sure if we go out to eat, we go to a veggie friendly place. When I went to my grandma's for christmas she made ME and only me (I'm the only veggie in the family) a separate serving of veggie chili and other meals for me! I felt so loved. haha
#388 Old 04-22-2007, 10:04 AM

Didn't know if I should put this here or in the Stupid thread but seeing as she tried I'll put it here.

This was said by someone on another forum.

"I would love to become a veggie, because I hate the way animals are treated in the meat industry. I was a veggie for a while and hated it. What can I say>? I love meat! Now I buy organic meat that comes from animals that are well cared for and humanely slaughtered. I think veggies are extremely brave, I couldn't live without chicken kebabs, lamb chops and pork loins"!!"
#389 Old 04-22-2007, 10:53 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Identity_thief View Post

(we were drunk)

Very good Omnis

I've got a friend like that! Whenever I go round hers for drinkies she hides her beer and non-vegan food (even though I've never had a drunken "accident" of that kind) and informs everyone loudly "DON'T LET CHLOE EAT THOSE. DO NOT. Or I'll throw you out!"

I was on a train with a friend the other day and mentioned a guy in my school who keeps being an idiot about my veganism and she said "He should shut the hell up, I really admire you for doing it."
#390 Old 04-22-2007, 11:32 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starblossom View Post

I just remembered this. when i visited my parents for easter weekend, my mother told me that from now on she will always buy free-range eggs because she saw a picture somewhere (in the paper, I think?) of how factory farm chickens are kept. She sounded horrified. I didn't have the heart to tell her that free-range eggs aren't much better, and that meat-chickens are treated essentially the same way too. I don't really know what to suggest as an alternative besides cutting out eggs, which i don't think she would do...I am going to email her something when I think of something

You should encourage her to look for a local source of eggs. While it's true that large-scale "Free Range" farms that provide eggs to supermarkets and chain stores do not usually treat their chickens any better than battery hens, local farmers that are selling on a smaller local-level generally take better care of their animals. (That's not to say things are perfect, and it doesn't help the male chicks that are born, but it's better than the alternatives, until she's ready to go vegan).

Tags
vegan-food , Vegan , vegan-cake

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page