Forum Jump: 
 9Likes
  • 1 Post By Luxxi
  • 1 Post By Jethr0
  • 3 Post By cuberail
  • 4 Post By melimomTARDIS

#1 Old 02-17-2010, 06:34 PM
Veggie Regular

I have not lost any weight since starting a vegetarian diet (which wasn't my intention to begin with). I mentioned this to my boyfriend, just because I found it interesting (since so many people DO shed weight). So he decided to tell me that he thinks we're eating too many carbs.

I know that vegetarian diets are based around carbohydrates, so I'm not exactly sure what he means by 'too many carbs". When I asked, he referred to "all the rice and pasta" we're eating, so I suppose he meant high-glycemic carbs? We have brown rice maybe twice a week, and we've probably had pasta 5 times in the past month and a half. But other than that, it's mostly just veggies and beans, besides the handfull of nuts here and there for a snack or cereal/oatmeal/bread at breakfast.

What do you guys think? What is too much?

You're gonna make me puke my pants.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-18-2010, 04:32 AM

I feel the same, not lost much weight since going veg*n (like you it was not my intention but would be an added bonus!) and I wonder if its all the carbs I eat although I do eat brown rice & bread (don't like pasta anyway), not sure what else we can do really. If I cut out the carbs I don't think my diet would be sustainable especially since I don't eat dairy, I would be starving all the time!
#3 Old 02-18-2010, 05:53 AM
Veggie Regular

Have you tried tracking exactly what you are eating on dailyplate.com? You may be surprised at your totals at the end of the day. It was a realy eye opener for me.

I love carbs..when I say carbs though, I mean the naughty white flour types, not brown rice and whole grains. Breads, pastas and potatos add weight on me. That's not to say that I don't eat them, but I measure them and keep their portions small and double up on the veggie portions. I've learned a few ways to trick myself on carbie meal nights. I start w/ a big salad (I call it my speed bump), it just slows me down enough so that the food can hit bottom before I run for more of it. On spaghetti night sometimes I will make spaghetti squash and have half my pasta portion be that. It's great w/ sauce on it, so is zucchini. just some ideas....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-18-2010, 06:41 AM
Veggie Regular

if you're not losing weight, than that means that you are taking in the proper number of calories for maintaining the weight. If you want to lose, you have to decrease # of calories or do more exercise. I wouldn't say you are carb heavy in the pastas or rice at all. Don't forget that beans are very heavy in carbos too, but they are the good kind. They are complex carbs, which our body needs for fuel, as well as are the fruit and veggies. Do try to minimize the simple carbs though, like ^^^ treehugger mentioned.

My brand new website for health coaching, and where all of my recipes will reside!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
previous food photography and portrait blog: www.creativeinspirationsphotography.blogspot.com

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1435413727
#5 Old 02-18-2010, 06:56 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by creep View Post

I have not lost any weight since starting a vegetarian diet (which wasn't my intention to begin with). I mentioned this to my boyfriend, just because I found it interesting (since so many people DO shed weight). So he decided to tell me that he thinks we're eating too many carbs.

I know that vegetarian diets are based around carbohydrates, so I'm not exactly sure what he means by 'too many carbs". When I asked, he referred to "all the rice and pasta" we're eating, so I suppose he meant high-glycemic carbs? We have brown rice maybe twice a week, and we've probably had pasta 5 times in the past month and a half. But other than that, it's mostly just veggies and beans, besides the handfull of nuts here and there for a snack or cereal/oatmeal/bread at breakfast.

What do you guys think? What is too much?

How much dairy/cheese, alcohol, and cooking oils are you consuming? I was always able to maintain a pretty healthy weight on a vegetarian diet, until I got to college and all I consumed was like beer and cheese pizza. It was shockingly easy to put on tons of weight on a vegetarian diet.

Now that I'm vegan, I've been shedding the extra lbs pretty steadily, but I have to make a really conscious effort to limit my meat/cheese analogues and use cooking oil sparingly.
#6 Old 02-18-2010, 07:11 AM
Veggie Regular

I lost almost 20 lbs once I stopped eating sooo much cheese & dairy!

As a vegetarian, I started adding lots more dairy to 'compensate' -- but once I stopped, the weight melted off practically overnight! I eat cheese maybe 1-2 times per week now, otherwise I drink rice milk & rice ice cream to get my fix.

Try reducing dairy and getting calcium in other ways! (Dairy is so high in fat!)

PS I eat carbs almost EVERY meal, and still I lost weight (I was worried if it was even too much weight-loss.. but I think its a healthy thing now!)
David3 likes this.

Click here to visit my webpage! http://astrotidbits.blogspot.com/
#7 Old 02-18-2010, 07:41 AM
Veggie Regular

I have almond or coconut milk with cereal, and I'll have cheese maybe 5 days out of the week, the most on pizza, but usually less than that at a time.

I actually started a food log today. The website shows percentages of what I'm getting as far as carbs, fat, etc., but does anyone know a good resource for what those percentages are SUPPOSED to be? While it tells me what they are, it doesn't tell me what needs to change.

#8 Old 02-18-2010, 07:45 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I have almond or coconut milk with cereal, and I'll have cheese maybe 5 days out of the week, the most on pizza, but usually less than that at a time.

I actually started a food log today. The website shows percentages of what I'm getting as far as carbs, fat, etc., but does anyone know a good resource for what those percentages are SUPPOSED to be? While it tells me what they are, it doesn't tell me what needs to change.

Are you using dailyplate or another website? I think dailyplate actually does break it down w/ a little chart, if you click on the sections, it will give you a break down of where you need to be with it. I was told once to shoot for 30%protien, 30% fat, 40% carbs. It was someone on a fitness site that told me that, soo.........
#9 Old 02-18-2010, 07:47 AM
Veggie Regular

fitday.com. I'll look at dailyplate and see if I like it better. I only have one entry, so no big loss.

#10 Old 02-18-2010, 07:50 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Can you tell whether you've started eating MORE dairy and starchy foods since giving up meat? That's an easy trap for the new vegetarian to fall into - you give up meat, feel deprived, and start consuming more dairy/eggs/pasta/breads in order to feel satisfied.
#11 Old 02-18-2010, 07:51 AM
Veggie Regular

No, definitely less.

#12 Old 02-18-2010, 08:02 AM
Veggie Regular

I definitely don't lose weight because of all the carbs I eat. Girl Scout cookies, pizza, and potato chips are all very high carb foods.

--Fromper

#13 Old 02-18-2010, 09:03 AM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, I definitely prefer MyPlate over FitDay. You can build recipes and MyPlate has more pre-listed foods, so you don't have to enter the nutritional information yourself. Good deal.

#14 Old 02-18-2010, 09:24 AM
Veggie Regular

I eat plenty of carbs in the form of fruit. I've never seen an overweight fruitarian.
#15 Old 02-18-2010, 09:27 AM
Veggie Regular

OK, for tracking calories and such, I really HAVE to recommend www.caloriecount.about.com. They've even got a little vegetarian subforum there... it's not super posted-in, but hey, WE COULD TOTALLY TAKE IT OVER!

I started tracking my calories maybe a month or so ago, and I've lost 5 lbs. Yay!
#16 Old 02-19-2010, 04:57 AM
Veggie Regular

Grains can have low to medium Glycemic Index ratings. For example All-Bran, barley, buckwheat, bulgur, oat bran, oats, pasta, pumpernickel, and whole grain bread all are low-Glycemic index according to "The G.I. Diet" cookbook. Except for pasta, grain products made out of refined grains have the high glycemic index rating, so stay away from those; they make you hungry a short time after eating them.
#17 Old 02-19-2010, 05:48 AM
Veggie Regular

You know, I only eat whole grain anything (at home, anyway). I don't think the boyfriend knew what he was talking about. I did MyPlate yesterday, a pretty average day, and nothing seems too out of whack.

#18 Old 02-19-2010, 05:49 AM
Veggie Regular

Kelley, what you wrote is true, but the only thing with the whole GI diet is it encourages you to stay away from or eliminate foods that are quite nutritious, just because they have a higher GI rating, such as sweet potatoes....while it's not a bad thing to know where a food is rated, I've seen the GI diet listed as a fad diet, amonst others. But you can combine some higher rated foods, with lower rated foods, to slow down the absorbtion. Just eat a larglely varied diet, and try to reduce the amt of animal fats in your diet if you are wanting to lose weight.

from one site: "The glycemic index is quite popular amongst some dietitians as a way to help control diabetes, lose weight, and improve general health. However, it is not without its' controversy - a health expert published on the American Diabetes Association website has labeled it a fad, the successor to the Atkins diet fad. This article will look at both these points of view, the complexities of the glycemic index that make it difficult to apply in real life food situations, and whether there is any value in the approach."

My brand new website for health coaching, and where all of my recipes will reside!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
previous food photography and portrait blog: www.creativeinspirationsphotography.blogspot.com

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1435413727
#19 Old 03-07-2010, 12:53 PM

you can get a meal plan made for your needs on sparks people .com

my food goals are:

cals : 1,400 - 1,600 carbs: 10 - 100 protein: 200 - 300

i really cut my net carbs and have a high amount of protein because i lift weights so my needs might differ from your

but here is one day of the sparks people meal plan

Breakfast:

Cream of Wheat with peanut butter and banana (directions)

Milk, nonfat, 1 cup 86 12 0 8

Banana, fresh, 0.5 large (8" to 8-7/8" long) 63 16 0 1

Cream of Wheat, cooked with water, without salt, 0.75 cup 98 21 0 3

Peanut Butter, smooth style, 0.5 tbsp 47 2 4 2

Breakfast TOTALS: 0 0 0 0

Lunch:

Meal name not shown since a food has been swapped.

Mozzarella Cheese, part skim milk, 1 oz 72 1 5 7

Beans, black, 0.6 cup 136 24 1 9

Apple juice, unsweetened, 4 fl oz 58 14 0 0

Romaine Lettuce (salad), 2 cup, shredded 16 3 0 2

Olive Oil, 1 1tsp 40 0 5 0

Balsamic Vinegar, 1 tbsp 8 2 0 0

Whole Wheat Tortilla, 1 serving 130 24 3 4

Lunch TOTALS: 0 0 0 0

Dinner:

Meal name not shown since a food has been swapped.

Almonds, 0.25 cup, sliced 137 5 12 5

Broccoli, fresh, 2 spear (about 5" long) 17 3 0 2

Brown Rice, long grain, 0.5 cup 108 22 1 3

Butter, unsalted, 1 pat (1" sq, 1/3" high) 36 0 4 0

Applesauce, unsweetened, 0.75 cup 79 21 0 0

Silk, Plain Soymilk, 1 cup, 1 serving 100 8 4 7

Dinner TOTALS: 0 0 0 0

Snack:

Yogurt; Carrots

Yogurt, fruit, 1 container (5 oz) 141 26 2 6

Baby Carrots, raw, 5 medium

good luck with your weightloss !

I'm all glued back together now. I make no apologies for how I chose to repair what you broke.
--Ellen Pompeo as Dr. Meredith Grey
#20 Old 05-27-2015, 12:42 AM

Ive always looked at bodybuilding articles when it comes to wanting to lose a bit of weight. Its a whole sport that revolves around putting on or losing weight and they have it down to a science. Having said that, the macro ratios they consume to put on weight are probably unhealthy. Though the amount of calories to maintain weight or lose it when used with a vege diet should be pretty close.

As a general rule, whenever i want to lose weight i lower carbs and slightly increase healthy fats. Dont lower the amount of carbs consumed overnight or your metabolism will slow down, do it over a few weeks and you should start to see some weight move.
Jue35 likes this.
#21 Old 05-27-2015, 02:41 AM
Veggie Regular

I lost 22 lbs eating a high carb ratio and held a low weight for years (and still was very active in many ways). I purposefully put on weight increasing my fat intake in proportion to carbs, but it was more to do with surplus calories than anything, and high fat foods are more calorific. That's just my experience. When I first went vegan in 2011 I instantly lost six lbs. I was already mildly underweight then so it was a big deal and I had to eat a LOT to gain. Now that I am in my forties I do watch my carbs a little more but they certainly don't cause me to gain weight any more than any other food.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

#22 Old 05-27-2015, 04:46 AM
Veggie Regular

My diet is about 70% carbohydrate. I am pretty lean.

The diet of Kenyan runners is about 80% carbohydrate. They are very lean.

The diet of the Okinawan centenarians who passed 100 years of age was 86% carbohydrate. They were practically cancer-proof and heart attack-proof and alzheimer's-proof.

The Ornish diet that reverses CHD, prostate cancer, and lengthens telomeres is 80% carbohydrate.

We have tons of data from epidemiology and clinical trials.

Restricting carbohydate is paleo broscience. The fuel that continues to feed the fire is the powerful lobbyists of the meat, egg, and dairy industries. Don't listen to them. They have it backwards.
#23 Old 05-27-2015, 07:23 AM
Veggie Regular

I eat a high carb diet. I don't eat nearly as much protien or fat as I do starchy carbs, and I find this way of eating the most enjoyable.

I eat pasta,potatoes, cereal, rice, bread, etc... Every day.

I keep the fatty foods that are labeled as carbs to a minimum (cake, brownies, potato chips, deep fried foods)
#24 Old 06-01-2015, 09:21 AM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:

Almost 1/3rd of cheese pizza's calories come from fat. Also, a single slice of cheese pizza contains about 270 calories. http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...generic/9304/2 .

Cheese is high in calories:
1 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese is 336 calories: http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...-products/25/2

In comparison, the high-glycemic potato is very low in calories:
1 cup of boiled potatoes is only 136 calories: http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...roducts/2556/2

Be careful about using oil and margarine. These foods are very high in calories, even in small amounts. A single tablespoon of vegetable oil contains 120 calories, more than a whole medium potato!

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/
#25 Old 06-06-2015, 09:54 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fromper View Post
I definitely don't lose weight because of all the carbs I eat. Girl Scout cookies, pizza, and potato chips are all very high carb foods.

--Fromper

Cookies, pizza, and potato chips are all high-fat foods. It's the fat that drives up the calories on these foods.

In Girl Scouts "Thin Mints" cookies, almost half the calories come from fat: http://www.caloriecount.com/calories...-mints-i131888

Cheese pizza gets 29% of its calories from fat: http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...generic/9304/2

Potato chips get 57% of their calories from fat: http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/snacks/5662/2

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
#26 Old 06-06-2015, 10:13 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treehugger267 View Post

Breads, pastas and potatos add weight on me. ....

I'm having trouble understanding that. All of these foods are low in calories:

One cup of white pasta only contains 182 calories: http://www.calorieking.com/foods/cal...kPTY0NjE5.html

One medium potato only contains 144 calories: http://www.calorieking.com/foods/cal...TEyMzc1OQ.html

One slice of white bread only contains 66 calories: http://www.calorieking.com/foods/cal...kPTY4MDkz.html

Is it possible that your calories are being increased by what you're putting on these foods? Remember that a single tablespoon of vegetable oil is 120 calories: http://www.calorieking.com/foods/cal...TE2NDczMw.html .

If you eat pasta, bread, and/or potatoes with low-fat condiments (salsa, mustard, salt, or plain), then it's very difficult to become fat on these foods. You would have to eat 14 medium potatoes per day just to get a healthy 2000 calories.

_________

#27 Old 06-16-2015, 04:33 PM
Plant/Fungi based.

Why does everyone blame carbs on high fat food? Steamed rice, potatoes, a pasta don't make you fat without adding fats.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page