What do you think if BK Veggie? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-10-2004, 03:53 PM
Veggie Regular

I think its a good idea to support it but i have a quick questions i hope someone knows.

Are the patties vegan? Other than the buns, and mayo it should be completely vegan, but i was just wondering if anyone has proof to make me think otherwise?

Does anyone eat them? Personally i get uncomfortable walking into BK but knowing its supporting animal rights might help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-10-2004, 03:56 PM
Veggie Regular

There's a lot about it in the Fast Food thread found in the Food forum. But yes, the patty, and the bun now, are both vegan. Just hold the mayo.

The fries are vegan too, and cooked in a seperate vat.

I love them. I go there on my lunch break at work a couple times a week.
#3 Old 01-10-2004, 04:01 PM

Spinoff of original question- If you eat the BK veggieburger, what do you put on it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-10-2004, 04:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Ketchup, Mustard, and Pickles.

Sometimes Onions. Tomatoes and Lettuce less frequently.
#5 Old 01-10-2004, 05:46 PM

I'm probably in the minority, but I like it allright. I only eat them when we take road trips, though and as said, I order them without mayo.
#6 Old 01-10-2004, 07:33 PM
Veggie Regular

I get a strong craving for them sometimes. I'm glad to hear the bun is totally vegan now. I only have them a few times a year but man they're good.
#7 Old 01-10-2004, 07:37 PM
Veggie Regular

I refuse to give any fast-food joints my business, but I'm glad some places are offering vegetarian options.
#8 Old 01-10-2004, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnelian View Post

I refuse to give any fast-food joints my business, but I'm glad some places are offering vegetarian options.

curious: why not?
#9 Old 01-10-2004, 07:46 PM
Veggie Regular

I had a Mc D's veggie burger and it sucked!
#10 Old 01-10-2004, 07:48 PM

i feel uneasy eating veggie burgers at fast-food chains known for their burgers, so i don't. i used to love the mcdonald's veggie burger though. the bk veggie not so much.

i just feel like i'm contributing to more slaughter and that my dollars spent on the over-priced soy burgers will go down the production line and help sell more meat burgers (i.e. through marketing, expansions, promotions, etc.).
#11 Old 01-10-2004, 07:50 PM

I'd never eat anything out of that place. I understand the benefits of supporting a product like that and all, keeping veggie alternatives available for the omnivores to introduce them to our way but I can't stand the smell of that place and the possibilities of cross contamination with flesh.
#12 Old 01-10-2004, 07:53 PM
Administrator

I have it every so often, maybe once every 6 months or so, it's not bad. I think it's overpriced.

So yeah, the bun and patty are vegan, hold the mayo, and if you want you can ask them to heat it up in the microwave so that it's not put on the grill (where the meat is).

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#13 Old 01-10-2004, 07:56 PM

According to Eric Schossler, author of Fast Food Nation,

Quote:
"Every dollar you spend [at fast food chains] just has a ripple effect down the production line,"

whether you buy a veggie burger or not:

http://www.dailynorthwestern.com/vne.../3fb8610472251

i don't want to help sustain fast food companies.
#14 Old 01-10-2004, 08:04 PM
Administrator

Just to present another viewpoint, Erik Marcus, author of Vegan: The New Ethics of Eating, has been a strong supporter of the BK Veggie...

http://www.vegan.com (bottom right-hand corner)

I'm sure there are other threads discussing this too. If you do a search you'll probably find more opinions on it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#15 Old 01-10-2004, 08:29 PM

ok. was just curious.

I like the BK burger a lot more then the McD one, as the McD one is coated in a...salt-lickish film. I guess it's their way to make it edible

I don't mind the BK burger cooked on the grill, but I have had it microwaved (just to make sure that they would do it). It was still pretty good.
#16 Old 01-10-2004, 09:06 PM
Veggie Regular

I like it fine. I'm not a fan of fast food, but it's good to know I can get something if I'm on the run. I usually prefer a bean burrito at Taco Bell though.
#17 Old 01-10-2004, 10:23 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm another fan of the BK veggie. I used to get it all the time when I was an omni, actually, and not at all since I've been vegan, but that's just because I moved a few months ago, and my circumstances have greatly changed. I had McDonald's veggie burger this summer in Canada, and I was really disappointed. I can't really remember it though.
#18 Old 01-10-2004, 10:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Not into fast food all that much, but like the person above, I will eat them on road trips, hold the cheese and mayo please.

B
#19 Old 01-10-2004, 10:48 PM

I try to buy a couple every week even though going into those places is pretty wretched. The BKV taste is OK, and although I always know that I can make a much tastier one at home, I think it is important to support the product and keep it available.

I am very fortunate to have many resources and options, but fast foods is perhaps one of a limited number of food choices for many people, whether through economics or lack of information. A lot of the people I see there don't look like the type who could pay $4.50/lb for organic on-the-vine tomatoes at natural foods store. So I think that it is good "outreach" to have a veggie burger on the menu.
#20 Old 01-10-2004, 11:24 PM
Veggie Regular

I thought it was reasonably priced. The BK Veggie with Fries and a Soda is $3.81 here and that's considerably cheaper than most of their other value meals. (yes, it's kinda bad that I have the price memorized already).

PS: They do let you substitue the fries for a salad if you prefer.
#21 Old 01-10-2004, 11:39 PM
Veggie Regular

So what else besides mayo do they put on it? And why did they choose to put mayo on it, isn't that kind of an odd choice? I would think ketchup would have been a much better idea. I've never had it but if I ever find myself in a BK, I'll definitly try it.
#22 Old 01-10-2004, 11:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Originally they only put mayonaise and lettuce on them. I thought mayo was a weird choice too for a product aimed at health-conscious people and veg*ns. But nowadays they put mayonaise, lettuce, tomatoes, onions, pickles, and ketchup on them if you don't custom-order it.
#23 Old 01-10-2004, 11:50 PM
Administrator

The last one I had, which was within the last two months, only had mayo and lettuce.

#24 Old 01-10-2004, 11:53 PM
Veggie Regular

When I was in the Cleveland area, they told me it came with reduced fat mayo, unless you ordered otherwise. When I was a health minded omni, I liked it that way sometimes, just because the taste of that mayo hit the spot when I wanted a salty-fatty fix, without doing as much damage as a beef burger with real mayo or even a veggie burger with real mayo.
#25 Old 01-10-2004, 11:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristadb View Post

curious: why not?

Besides all of the environmental/animal rights reasons, fast food has a high fat/calorie content that conflicts with my desire to eat as healthy as I can. And, in my opinion, it's really poor quality food - pure garbage to me. I'm pretty selective about what I put into my body.
#26 Old 01-10-2004, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post

Just to present another viewpoint, Erik Marcus, author of Vegan: The New Ethics of Eating, has been a strong supporter of the BK Veggie...

http://www.vegan.com (bottom right-hand corner)

I'm sure there are other threads discussing this too. If you do a search you'll probably find more opinions on it.

difference of opinions i guess. i personally was upset to discover that erik marcus & peta support the bk veggie.
#27 Old 01-11-2004, 12:35 AM
Veggie Regular

I think they consider it progress. They feel, like many others, that progress should be rewarded. My feeling is that buying veg-friendly convenience products demonstrates that there's a viable market for them and encourages further investment in that area, which can only be good.
#28 Old 01-11-2004, 10:17 AM
Veggie Regular

The BK Veggie Burger is Okay but I wont eat one unless I'm traveling and there is no other options. Like A lot of you Guys on here I tend to avoid Fast food places at all costs.
#29 Old 01-11-2004, 12:04 PM
Beginner

Is it just a boca burger packaged as a veggie burger? Because that's what the one at Disney World tatsed like wwhen I had them (as a vegetarian, not a vegan)
#30 Old 01-11-2004, 12:13 PM
Beginner

While I thought the BK veggie burger was okay, my wife didn't like it. It was NOTHING like the ones we were used to eating at home. We have not gotten them again. We would have supported the fact that they were offering them, but they just didn't taste too good.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page