What do you think if BK Veggie? - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#31 Old 01-11-2004, 12:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Although I try to eat fast food as little as possible, I'm happy to have vegetarian options at fast-food restaurants if I do have to go to one (on a group trip, etc). I wasn't that impressed with the BK Veggie at first but I'm glad there's at least an option for vegetarians/vegans!

Also, some of you mention that you don't go to fast-food restaurants because it eventually supports the meat industry down the line, but doesn't the same thing hold true for nicer restaurants that serve meat as well? If I go to Applebee's and order a salad, I am directly contributing to their bottom line, which will help them remain in business and serve more steak, chicken, fish, etc. It seems like in the vegetarian/vegan life, as with many other aspects in everyday life, there really is no such thing as a free lunch!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 01-11-2004, 12:57 PM
Veggie Regular

It's not so great, but I'm willing to eat it when I'm REALLY hungry. I've had it 3 times, I think.
#33 Old 01-11-2004, 01:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WfuDeac View Post

Also, some of you mention that you don't go to fast-food restaurants because it eventually supports the meat industry down the line, but doesn't the same thing hold true for nicer restaurants that serve meat as well? If I go to Applebee's and order a salad, I am directly contributing to their bottom line, which will help them remain in business and serve more steak, chicken, fish, etc.

I rarely go out to eat, but the last time I did, it was at a vegetarian/vegan restaurant. I realize that not everyone has that option.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 01-11-2004, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WfuDeac View Post

Also, some of you mention that you don't go to fast-food restaurants because it eventually supports the meat industry down the line, but doesn't the same thing hold true for nicer restaurants that serve meat as well? If I go to Applebee's and order a salad, I am directly contributing to their bottom line, which will help them remain in business and serve more steak, chicken, fish, etc. It seems like in the vegetarian/vegan life, as with many other aspects in everyday life, there really is no such thing as a free lunch!

yes, you are right.

however these other (smaller) establishments are less likely to be exploitive of animals, in my opinion. and they offer more than one veg option.
#35 Old 01-11-2004, 01:10 PM
Veggie Regular

I've never had the BK Veggie or the McDonald's veggie burger either. I'd support their efforts to provide a vegetarian option, but I can't stand walking into either restaurant (or going through the drive-thru). They reek of cooked flesh, more so than other meat serving restaurants, IMHO and I just couldn't stomach to eat there because of the smell. If I was in a pinch (on a trip and that was the only option), then I would order one, but otherwise no.
#36 Old 01-11-2004, 01:29 PM
Veggie Regular

My husband and I were on a trip and he went to BK, so I ordered the BK veggie. I never eat at fast food restaurants unless it's the only option I have. I was happy to see that they had an option for me and they are pretty good. I see ordering them as a supply and demand, so I feel that I am encouraging the veggie option.
#37 Old 01-11-2004, 02:36 PM
Veggie Regular

To answer an earlier question, the BK Veggie is not a Boca burger, but a burger concocted exclusively for, if not by, BK.

Sunny: It's a trip to see one's self quoted...
#38 Old 01-11-2004, 05:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post

I only eat them when we take road trips, though and as said, I order them without mayo.

Same here, I have only eaten them when I've been on a road trip and there wasn't much else as an alternative. They're pretty good, considering where they come from. I've ordered them with mustard, pickle, lettuce and tomato.
#39 Old 01-11-2004, 06:05 PM
Veggie Regular

honeslty i can stand the bk veggie. it just seems like garbage all in 1 patty. kike most veggie burgurs have a nice consistency, but the bk veggie is quite wierd and im not happy witht the taste.

ive had 5 total maybe..giving it a fair try
#40 Old 01-11-2004, 07:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks everyone on your input I think i might try it, but im still a little skeptical.. we will see
#41 Old 01-11-2004, 08:02 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm another one that wasn't too dig on the BK veggie. I like the idea of it, and hope that in time more restaurants will cater to the veg*n as much or more than they cater to the [email protected], but this burger... ICK! Too much like the real thing! Even the mushroom bits seemed like animalfat globs to me, and I couldn't eat it so, I did with it what I do with an omniburger; I pulled out the "meat" and ate just the fixings and bun.

I would probably eat this if I were out in the middle of nothing and nowhere and my *only* option were BK food, but in any other time, I would almost prefer anything else. Even a "fixins burger".
#42 Old 01-12-2004, 03:00 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm not a huge fan of the BK Veggie. First of all, I don't particularly like white bread, just a personal preference. Secondly, I think the patty would be quite good if it was fried on a grill; I think it would be pretty tasty if it was crisp on the outside. Cooked in the Microwave or on their broiler thing, it kind of stays soggy. Also, for a patty that clearly has all kinds of good stuff like grains and mushrooms in it (you can actually see the bits), I don't think it has much flavor.

But then I've never had a good meal at the Burger King in Boise, not even as an omni. They don't clean or change their fry oil often enough, and everything produced there seems to have that dirty oil flavor to it, even the burgers. The BK Veggie that I had in another state when traveling was better, still not great, but better. Overall, I'd rather have a bean burrito at Taco Bell.
#43 Old 01-12-2004, 05:23 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by webbum View Post

I had a Mc D's veggie burger and it sucked!

The McD veggie stuff here in the UK is absolutely gross. They only have one thing, and it's a nasty mushy mess of.... mmmmm..... vegetables I think. Another good reason for not going to McD's.

Burger King's not quite so bad. I like the spicy bean burger (I know it's not vegan). It must be years since I've had one though, I can't remember the last time.
#44 Old 01-12-2004, 05:28 AM
Veggie Regular

They have a spicy bean burger there? Not here, the only choice kinda resembles the vegan Boca version. Blimpies (a sub chain here) offers a spicy black bean veggie burger that's pretty good (though not vegan).
#45 Old 01-12-2004, 05:52 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpickell View Post

They have a spicy bean burger there? Not here, the only choice kinda resembles the vegan Boca version. Blimpies (a sub chain here) offers a spicy black bean veggie burger that's pretty good (though not vegan).

Yep, it's tasty (although that could just be in my imagination!). Maybe I should try one next weekend. I'll probably be thinking about it all week now. I've always found BK food to be a thousand times better than McD (even in my distant omni past) though I'm not sure how BK ethics measure up....
#46 Old 01-12-2004, 09:50 AM
Veggie Regular

I was in BK on Saturday with my s/o and I asked if the BK Veggie was vegan and no one knew what vegan meant...not even the manager.
#47 Old 01-12-2004, 10:33 AM
Veggie Regular

I've never had the BK Veggie, but I'd be willing to try it.
#48 Old 01-12-2004, 10:34 AM
Veggie Regular

I would eat a BK Veggie, hold the mayo in a pinch, but generally avoid fast food.
#49 Old 01-12-2004, 02:09 PM
Veggie Regular

When I do eat one of these, I take out the mayo, the ketchup, and the pickles, and I add mustard. It works for me. Yeah, the patty's too thin compared to the bun (where's the veggies!?), but it's much more edible this way, IMHO.
#50 Old 01-12-2004, 02:14 PM

i've had it a few times ... really only when my wife and i do the fast-food thing on the road.

it's OK, not great, but OK.
#51 Old 01-12-2004, 05:17 PM
Banned

Kelly Bear,

You are back!
#52 Old 01-13-2004, 01:47 PM
Veggie Regular

I think it's worth trying, if for no other reason than to encourage veg-friendly options. I tried it once and hated it. I don't think I'll be having it again. I tend not to like meat-resembling burgers, so I'm not surprised that I didn't like to BK veggie. I tried it a year and a half ago, something like that, and it sounds like they offer more variety for inside the bun now. I took mine home and added the onion and tomato, etc.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#53 Old 01-13-2004, 01:51 PM
Veggie Regular

I think the main reason I prefer the BK Veggie to the McVeggie is that the BK Veggie doesn't strive at all to taste like meat, whereas the McVeggie does. The McVeggie is kinda gross.
#54 Old 01-13-2004, 02:37 PM
Veggie Regular

I tried to order it at two different restaurants here and was told they couldn't microwave it. So I told them to keep it.

Also, are you sure about the BK fries? Last I heard, they had been advertising their fries as vegetarian, then it turns out they had beef fat on them even though they were fried in vegetable oil.
#55 Old 01-13-2004, 02:41 PM
Beginner

I tried one, but it was pretty gross - why can't they make it taste as good as the morningstar or boca vegan burgers?? My husband thinks it's because then everyone would stop eating their fat-bomb whoppers. He thinks that they offer it, but make it not taste that great, so that they can appease the vegetarian crowd but not have to lose any beef sales because nobody would buy it just for the taste. If it tasted as good as a whopper but had half the calories, no fat or cholesterol, then nobody would ever buy a whopper again.
#56 Old 01-13-2004, 10:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post

Also, are you sure about the BK fries? Last I heard, they had been advertising their fries as vegetarian, then it turns out they had beef fat on them even though they were fried in vegetable oil.

You might be thinking of McDonald's fries which do still contain natural beef flavoring. Burger King's fries contained natural chicken flavoring up until 2001 when they switched to a vegetarian formula. According to their website today the natural flavoring on their fries comes from plant sources, so they are safe for vegans (albeit they have a high calorie and fat content.)

[Edited year]
#57 Old 01-13-2004, 10:46 PM
Veggie Regular

I heard about McDonalds fries too but Burger King for a while was labeling their fries vegetarian when they weren't. Some organization called them on it and they admitted the mistake. They may be okay now but BK did goof for awhile.
#58 Old 01-13-2004, 10:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Was probably this: http://www.vrg.org/fries.htm
#59 Old 01-14-2004, 01:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Yesterday I finally tried the BK veggie! I must say, I think I liked it more then a lot of you guys did. I found it to taste fine, although perhaps that's cause I had lettuce, pickles, onions, tomato and ketchup on it. If I had just lettuce I might not have liked it as much. Still, I was pleasantly surprised when I had it, especially after reading the bad reviews it got in this thread. I give it a thumbs up

I wonder how popular it is? Do many people get it?
#60 Old 01-14-2004, 03:21 PM
Veggie Regular

bluegrrrl, I presume it is sufficiently popular to warrent keeping it on the menu. If it were a miserable flop, they'd yank it.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page