If you don't eat eggs but AREN'T vegan, where do you stop? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-10-2004, 02:41 PM

One of my unspoken new year's resolutions is no more eggs. I hardly ever eat them anyway, and since I gave up beef and pork and started spending time here, eggs have just become less appealing.

So if you are strict vegetarian, or lacto veg, how strict are you about no eggs? What are some regular food items that you don't eat anymore that contain eggs? (And what do you use for baking-banana?) One of my problems would be eating out, although my initial goal is to go strict veg at home and ovo lacto eating out. It's so hard to know what foods have eggs in them, for example I hear Olive Garden pasta contains them but they have a spaghetti I LOVE!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-10-2004, 02:48 PM
Veggie Regular

(Moderator note)

*sigh* another one of these. I'm going to try something different this time and post a few words before anybody else does.

Remember that this is a support forum. Feel free to state your opinion about this issue, but do not police other people's lifestyles, make personal attacks, call others names or obsess about dietary labels. Respect each other's lifestyles and dietary choices.

Check the "Split from: What type of veg*n are you?" thread in the Compost Heap to see how this thread should not happen. The wounds are still fresh and bleeding from that one, so please - be civil here.

Thanks
#3 Old 01-10-2004, 02:51 PM
Veggie Regular

When I bake I use Ener-G Egg Replacer.

In most recipes (such as potato salad) I just leave the eggs out completely.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-10-2004, 03:12 PM
Veggie Regular

It depends on what you think.

I know some who will eat eggs in things - like cake, cookies, etc. But who won't eat a whole egg - like quiche, omelettes, boiled egg, etc.

IMO, if you don't eat eggs, you don't eat eggs. This means ever, at any time, in any form. (This includes things like egg whites which are in about everything.)

I consider myself someone who tries to avoid eggs, but who eats them. Even though eggs gross me out and I don't like to eat them whole, I do use them for cooking and don't check labels in search of them.
#5 Old 01-10-2004, 03:17 PM
Veggie Regular

FYI, I looked up your olive garden question, and their website says none of their items fully meet a vegan diet. So I don't know. But their Guest Relations # is 1-800-331-2729 if you want to call and find out.

Personally I prefer Fazoli's spaghetti's over Olive Garden's any day. : )

Quote:
Dear Sir:

Thank you for visiting olivegarden.com.

We appreciate the challenges you face in honoring your personal convictions.

Veganism and vegetarianism take many forms. A few of our menu items can be

adjusted to accommodate a vegan or vegetarian diet, but none wholly meet the

criteria. Our current nutritional database does not include information to the

level of specific detail you require.

We do use egg free spaghetti, linguini, fettucine, farfalle, angel hair,

capellini, penne and shells. Depending on your personal philosophy, we can

suggest the following items as meatless, but not necessarily vegetarian or vegan

as they may contain some ingredients which do not comply with your personal

philosophy such as eggs or cheese:

Minestrone Soup (mushroom base)

Garden Salad (dressing contains eggs)

Marinara Sauce

Capellini Pomodoro

Eggplant Parmigiana (cheese)

Fettuccine Alfredo (cheese)

Again, we certainly empathize with the challenges presented to you when you

weigh decisions regarding dining out. We recognize that we do not meet the

needs of everyone and our objective remains to offer what our guests, through

their selections, indicate are favorites.

If Guest Relations can be of further assistance, please write us again through

olivegarden.com (www.olivegarden.com/feedback.asp ) or call us at

1-800-331-2729. Our office hours are Monday-Friday, 10:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. ET.

In the meantime, we will look forward to a future opportunity to serve you in

our restaurants.

With Hospitaliano,

Ann

Olive Garden Guest Relations

#6 Old 01-10-2004, 04:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Hello, MCsAngel. Welcome to the boards!

I'm a strict veg, so for me, no eggs means exactly that - no eggs. I used to eat them on occaision even though eggs are also on my "can't eat" list which meant that I shouldn't have been doing that, even though I did, anyway. My health was not taking very kindly to my allowances, so I had to come down hard on myself and say "no more eggs, Dee". It's hard, but not as bad as I thought. Sometimes the bread I get has eggs in them but I just keep in mind not to eat that much bread while we have "brand X" in the pantry. Plus, I keep a supply of pitas in the freeze for just those very times (saves me, for sure) and since I'm not much on fake meats (a taste thing, purely), I don't have to worry much about the ever-present egg whites contained within. Besides, I've recently discovered Gardenburger Riblets and IMO they're much better than a vegbrat any day of the week.

For baking, there are a number of things you can use as an egg sub. Ener-G replacement powder is good, I hear, but only if you're replacing up to 2 eggs - any more than that, and the recipe might not turn out well. Tofu, bananas, or applesauce is also good but again, it depends on what you're doing that will dictate which ingredient makes the better sub. If you have any question on what can replace what, you can always check out the vegan cook sites, like www.VegWeb.com/food to see if what you're wanting to do will work. Our own "food and recipe" forum is also a great place to ask about subs since we have a lot of really amazingly talented homechefs that are willing and happy to help.

For eating out, there are some rules of thumb that I use. Bread or anythind made with or from bread will almost always have eggs as is most fresh made pastas. If they use dried pasta, you usually don't have to worry about it because it's rare that a dried pasta will contain eggs, but if they make it fresh, then you know that more and likely, that fresh will have eggs in it. Batters will more and likely have eggs in them as well but you can always ask the waitstaff if you're unsure (I personally just assume they do and order something else, instead). Sometimes, fried rices or certain soups will have eggs in them as well as any sealed thing (like an eggroll or stuffed wonton) because egg is used as "glue". I'm not sure about Olive Garden since I haven't eaten there in ages, but there are threads about what they have that are compatible to different lines of diet. That information would probably be best found in the "product reviews" forum and if not (because the thread was too old, or something), you can always ask.

That's all I can really think of, right now. Hope this all helps.
#7 Old 01-10-2004, 04:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonflower View Post

I know some who will eat eggs in things - like cake, cookies, etc. But who won't eat a whole egg - like quiche, omelettes, boiled egg, etc.

I suppose I'm kind of like this. I've never liked eggs, so I've never eaten them whole. I also will not buy eggs for cooking, or buy grocery products which contain them. But I don't stress about them as ingredients in pasta and other processed foods that I might eat at a restaurant or at someone's house, and I will occasionally eat one of the ovo-veg fake meat products that my bf has around the house - for example, I might snag some of his fakin' bacon for my sandwich.
#8 Old 01-10-2004, 05:37 PM
Veggie Regular

I am a lacto-vegetarian. I don't eat products that contain eggs, or eggs themselves. I won't buy any baked item at a restaurant or store unless i'm 100% sure it is egg-free. At restaurants if i'm unsure if something has eggs I'll ask. Some pastas, like fettucine, can contain eggs.

I don't do much baking, but when I do, I choose recipes that don't have any eggs in the first place.
#9 Old 01-10-2004, 06:26 PM

a good egg replacer is ground flax seed. someone on another forum (veganrepresent.com) told me her little secret: she uses 1 T ground flax seed: 2 T water for every egg the recipe calls for. You just add the flax seed to the dry ingredients and the water to the wet ingredients. i tried it for the first time when I made vegan carrot cake last week and it turned out FABULOUSLY!!! And it's a MUCH cheaper alternative to commercial egg replacers.

I'm not a "vegan" but I don't eat eggs or milk (I still have leather shoes and wool sweaters). currently i'm having a huge egg craving and haven't done anything about it (yet). people gave me a few suggestions in this thread which i'm going to try out soon:

https://veggieboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=14025

i hope you find this helpful. i find usually there's a vegan alternative to EVERYTHING (even crab meat!). good luck!
#10 Old 01-10-2004, 09:32 PM
Veggie Regular

I think as for eating them in mixes...you know, anymore I don't ever purchase mixes that contain egg. There's just really not a call for it. I am looking for an eggless pancake mix if anyone has ideas because my daughter likes them.

I'm not terribly strict if I'm at another person's (family generally) home, but I just really don't mind not eating eggs...it's not really a big deal.

Also I don't find the veg*n (strict vegetarian) eating in restaurants a big deal I must say. Lots of people seem to find it problematic but I have only had one or two problems in restaurants in the two years I've been veg*n. But then I either go to veggie friendly places where I know I'll be respected, or I order very basic items at non-veggie places, where I know animal products won't be used. And then you know, I just relax and enjoy myself.

Anyway, good luck with cutting down on eggs! Sorry to ramble.

B
#11 Old 01-10-2004, 10:51 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't eat eggs except for if they're in the ingrediants of things and I can't find an alternative. Like Morningstar Farms, the kinds I eat don't have vegan alternatives, so I eat them. But I buy Nayonaise cause it's eggless. Sometimes I'll find something that looks yummy and I'm happy that it's meatless and dairyless, but it will have eggs so I'll just overlook the eggs. I think eventually I'd like to be fully eggless, but I consider myself transitioning with that.

In cooking I use ground flaxseed eggs: 1 tablespoon ground flax and 3 tablespoons water mixed together.
#12 Old 01-11-2004, 02:56 PM
Veggie Regular

i read an interesting story today about Ramm Das. He related in the story that he was studying with a particular guru who has the ability to "read minds" so to speak. Under this guru, he was strictly macrobiotic and vegetarian. There were many rules.

For the most part, he didn't miss a thing. One day, while out, he headed into a shop where they had some lovely scones. Flour, sugar--scones essentially--were not on an "approved" list. IN fact, they were 'strictly' forbidden by the rules. Nonetheless, RD opted to have a scone.

He ate that scone with great joy and pleasure. Then, he went to his guru and prostrated before him (having not said anyhting about the scone, but feeling conflicted about consuming it). The guru looked at him and heartily laughed: YOu loved that scone, didn't you!

With his guru's laughter, RD realized that the rules were not meant to imprison or cause problems or guilt. To love a scone is ok--if you truly love it when you consume it.

I think this is a lovely story about dietary rules--about lines and where we draw them as individuals. Joy should be a big part of our choices. If you find yourself imprisoned by them, time to re-examine.
#13 Old 01-11-2004, 04:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebird View Post

i read an interesting story today about Ramm Das. He related in the story that he was studying with a particular guru who has the ability to "read minds" so to speak. Under this guru, he was strictly macrobiotic and vegetarian. There were many rules.

For the most part, he didn't miss a thing. One day, while out, he headed into a shop where they had some lovely scones. Flour, sugar--scones essentially--were not on an "approved" list. IN fact, they were 'strictly' forbidden by the rules. Nonetheless, RD opted to have a scone.

He ate that scone with great joy and pleasure. Then, he went to his guru and prostrated before him (having not said anyhting about the scone, but feeling conflicted about consuming it). The guru looked at him and heartily laughed: YOu loved that scone, didn't you!

With his guru's laughter, RD realized that the rules were not meant to imprison or cause problems or guilt. To love a scone is ok--if you truly love it when you consume it.

I think this is a lovely story about dietary rules--about lines and where we draw them as individuals. Joy should be a big part of our choices. If you find yourself imprisoned by them, time to re-examine.

That's an awesome story, and really illustrates how I personally try to relate to food. I think if we are in a place of truely loving ourselves, and wanting to nourish our bodies with healthy food, most of the time we won't follow the rules with a heavy heart. Rather, we will actually prefer to eat healthy foods that show love for ourselves and other creatures.
#14 Old 01-11-2004, 04:15 PM
Veggie Regular

At this point, I am totally Vegan at home. In the interest of domestic harmony, when my husband and I eat out, I do the best I can to find something Vegan at whatever place we eat, but I don't ask if there are eggs in the pasta, and if I forget to specify and eggs end up in the Asian dish I ordered, I just eat it. I'm very careful about whether or not there is dairy in something now because, after being a strict vegetarian since March, I've recently discovered that I have a pretty severe dairy allergy. A couple of milk chocolate truffels and I'm sneezing for two days.

That being said, at this point, I've figured out which restaurants in my area have Vegan options, and I've called and asked the chef about ingredients at most restaurants we frequent often. My husband recently accepted a job as an interstate truck driver, so he's not home very often anymore, and the issue rarely comes up. He left last Sunday, will be gone for two more weeks, and I haven't eaten out once since he left. He'll be gone for stretches of three to six weeks for at least the next year. When I do go out, I'll probably just go to the local vegetarian restaurant, since I prefer their food to most other restaurants anyway.

Becoming Vegan has been a process for me. I was a strict vegetarian from the beginning, but at first I didn't know what most of the "hidden" animal indredients were, like Casein in soy cheese, for instance, and I didn't worry too much if there were egg whites in the meat substitutes I was buying. I'm sure there are some chemical products in food that are sourced from animals that I still don't know about, but this really isn't much of an issue to me anymore, since I pretty much just eat whole, fresh foods instead of pre-packaged now.

In baking, I use ground flaxseeds mixed with water for some recipes, and whole golden flaxseeds boiled in water for others. I haven't found a single tried-and-true baking recipe that isn't equally as good with flax as it was with eggs. I don't use Ener-G in baking because I think it makes baked goods kind of hard with a funny aftertaste, but I will use it as a substitute egg wash for breading tempeh or keeping whole grains from sticking together for pilafs.
#15 Old 01-11-2004, 10:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Good story zoebird!
#16 Old 01-11-2004, 10:49 PM
Veggie Regular

I never liked eggs, so giving them up was no big deal. I use juice concentrate in my muffin recipe, apple butter in my pacakes, and flax seed goop if I bread something (which is rare). Juice concentrate in baked goods is especially great because it not only takes the place of eggs, but also refined sugar and oil. My muffins are very moist and tastier than any I've had with those other ingredients!
#17 Old 01-11-2004, 11:33 PM
Veggie Regular

No eggs or dairy with the exception of some cheese, when a substitute doesnt do it justice.
#18 Old 01-11-2004, 11:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggplant View Post

Juice concentrate in baked goods is especially great because it not only takes the place of eggs, but also refined sugar and oil. My muffins are very moist and tastier than any I've had with those other ingredients!

What is juice concentrate? Like the frozen stuff? I would think your muffins would end up tasting like orange juice. (You can tell I don't have much baking experience).
#19 Old 01-12-2004, 10:13 AM
Veggie Regular

Convenience is a factor. I use egg replacer and soy milk at home, including in my omni husband's food. He can't tell a difference. I actually liked eggs, but it made no sense to me to stop eating flesh and still eat eggs. So, there are eggs in some of the pre-packaged stuff I buy (like Morningstar Farms stuff and breads), but I buy an egg-free alternative if available. I do still eat cheese on occassion, but I'm trying to get away from that, too. It's a process.
#20 Old 01-12-2004, 11:35 AM
Veggie Regular

I wish we could all just focus on the difference we are making as veg*ns, whether we eat eggs or cheese or milk or not. Even omnis who are making more conscious choices in their health and where their food comes from is a great thing. The truth is that we are all making a difference recognizing in some way or another, at our own paces, what is right by ourselves and this earth. I believe every member here has that common interest, which is why we joined. There's been so much hair-splitting around here lately and as a result, people have been hurt. I think we should all remember that the choices we are making now are all positive.

::::ff my soapbox:::::
#21 Old 01-12-2004, 12:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeggieKitten View Post

I wish we could all just focus on the difference we are making as veg*ns, whether we eat eggs or cheese or milk or not. Even omnis who are making more conscious choices in their health and where their food comes from is a great thing. The truth is that we are all making a difference recognizing in some way or another, at our own paces, what is right by ourselves and this earth. I believe every member here has that common interest, which is why we joined. There's been so much hair-splitting around here lately and as a result, people have been hurt. I think we should all remember that the choices we are making now are all positive.

::::ff my soapbox:::::

You are exactly right, VK! Exactly right!
#22 Old 01-12-2004, 12:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCsAngel View Post

I hear Olive Garden pasta contains them but they have a spaghetti I LOVE!!!!!!!

One good rule about pasta, is that the thicker noodles are almost always Egg noodles. (Fettuccini, Lasagne, Spaghetti) The very thin, Angel Hair type pastas don't have eggs. Eggs are used to make the pasta hold together, and also makes the dough very thick. The thin noodles have only water and semolina flour, due to the holes in the "dye" (the thing on the pasta machines that acts like the Play Dough Factory when you squeeze the Play Dough through) being so small. Egg dough clogs the smaller dyes.

Just my 2¢ as a former pasta maker.
#23 Old 01-12-2004, 12:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpickell View Post

What is juice concentrate? Like the frozen stuff? I would think your muffins would end up tasting like orange juice. (You can tell I don't have much baking experience).

You can use Apple juice, or Grape juice concentrate, whatever you want to put into your baked goods. You don't have to use Orange juice unless you want to make Orange muffins...

Find this stuff in the freezer section of your local grocer.
#24 Old 01-12-2004, 12:33 PM
Banned

For me, I don't cook with eggs or milk but I don't feel the need to worry about whether the Naan I get when I eat out is brushed with a tiny ammount of milk or contains 1/20th of an egg.
#25 Old 01-12-2004, 02:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeggieKitten View Post

RIGHT ON.
#26 Old 01-12-2004, 09:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpickell View Post

Yes, the frozen stuff--you thaw it. If I'm making apple muffins I use apple juice, if I'm making blueberry muffins I use apple/berry juice, if I'm making orange cranberry muffins I use orange juice, etc. Just choose the flavor juice that goes best with the type of muffin you're making...
#27 Old 01-12-2004, 10:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Makes sense. Never would have thought to do that. : )
#28 Old 01-12-2004, 10:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by soybean81 View Post

a good egg replacer is ground flax seed. someone on another forum (veganrepresent.com) told me her little secret: she uses 1 T ground flax seed: 2 T water for every egg the recipe calls for. You just add the flax seed to the dry ingredients and the water to the wet ingredients.

I was amazed at how well flax meal works! I learned about it from Michael Greger's DVD "Maximum Nutrition". Before that I used EnerG (and that works good too - just a little more costly).

(I'm lacto-ovo, but I try and avoid dairy/eggs as much as possible)
#29 Old 01-15-2004, 07:25 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeYahMK View Post

Bread or anything made with or from bread will almost always have eggs

Who told you this? That is not true in my experience. Most bread that I have checked is vegan, and some contains milk, but I don't recall ever hearing of eggs being in bread.
#30 Old 01-15-2004, 07:41 AM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, I haven't seen eggs in any loafs of bread that I've ever bought at the store. You do find eggs in corn bread and cakes though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page