when i smell meat i feel very sick, how can i cope with that? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-20-2010, 07:55 PM
Veggie Regular

it's really hard for me to be around meat because 1.) the smell makes me feel sick (like i'm going to throw up and it like makes me head spin kind of, sorry if that sounds dramatic, i don't know how else to describe it lol) and 2.) cause i'm so against eating meat and it really really bothers me being around meat and people eating it. i hate even having to see meat.

my questions are:

is it normal for vegetarians to feel this way or am i the only one?

do you know any coping skills or ways i can deal with this better?

i feel like it's getting worse . and i have to smell it all the time and having to smell it drives me crazy. and seeing it.

my mom was a vegetarian for a few months and recently quit =(. i feel so alone now cause i don't know anyone else who's a vegetarian besides one and she's not really someone who is easy to be friends with or hang out with. and when i wrote a paper and read it to my class (we were assigned to write a paper about what were passionate about) about loving animals and encouraging people to become vegetarian, not use animal tested products and not wear fur people just made fun of me =(.

anyways, i was thinking maybe you could help me cause everyone on here is a vegetarian =).

Lexi

I've just begun having my fun. <3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-20-2010, 08:13 PM

in autopsies, sometimes, they use a vapor rub, which they put in their noses, to overpower the smell; maybe that would help..

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...5011816AAcUFPq

#3 Old 01-20-2010, 08:16 PM
Banned

if you can't excuse yourself from situations that you find distressing, you could get a menthol inhaler like this: http://www.olbas.com/olbasinhaler.htm. its menthol, eucalyptus and peppermint oils on a little plastic stick that you sniff when you have a cold to clear your airways. if you hold that under your nose and take a sniff it'll overpower the meaty smell and give you something to focus on until you calm down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-20-2010, 08:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blobbenstein View Post

in autopsies, sometimes, they use a vapor rub, which they put in their noses, to overpower the smell; maybe that would help..

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...5011816AAcUFPq

must. type. faster.
#5 Old 01-20-2010, 08:51 PM
Veggie Regular

You're not the only one. I still hate being around meat sometimes too, and I've been a vegetarian for twelve years. I have grown more used to it as time has passed, so I can at least deal with being around it. I would just buy a nice smelling eco/animal friendly perfume and spray it on your wrist, then whenever you're around meat, just smell that instead.

Don't worry, it gets easier as you get older, more people will start going vegetarian as they grow older. Also you'll get more used to it and when you move out, you can have a completely meat free kitchen.
#6 Old 01-21-2010, 06:53 AM
Veggie Regular

Hi Lex, I have to admit I have the opposite problem - my family was omni growing up, and my mom loved to cook - and always had some kind of meat thing in the oven. When I visit my parents' house now, I always seem to associate the food smells with growing up, holidays, and good, homey warm and fuzzy feelings. It never seems to register with me that those food smells are most likely meat! (When she takes the roast or whatever out of the oven and I actually SEE the meat, however, it's a different story...)

I'd suggest carrying around some veg-friendly mint gum or mint candies and chewing on one every time you start to get grossed out by meat smells in your vicinity. Hopefully the minty-fresh taste will overpower the dead animal stench. Being around meat doesn't seem to be something veg*ns really get over.... but we just learn to "zen" it as best we can in order to live in our very omni society.

And BTW --- I think you're awesome for the report you gave to your class. Much respect to you for standing up for what you believe - even if people made fun of you for it. It gets easier as you get older, I promise -- there will always be ignorant people who like to challenge your ethics and decisions, but you will also encounter more people respectful of your beliefs. Hang in there and just know that you're not alone!
#7 Old 01-21-2010, 07:54 AM
Beginner

I sympathize with your situation I cant really stand being around meat either i feel my stomach turn when i smell it or when you see the vans with the carcasses of meat hanging on pegs. the way I remedy it is by standing outside when my friends go KFC and the like and eat at a bench or in a park instead then its not even a 10th as traumatizing.

P.S that really rocks that you tried showing omnis about vegetarianism and the evil fur industry, even though they took the piss. A tip I can recommend for future situations like this is show them how the animals are skinned and treated this will at least make them shut their mouths.
#8 Old 01-21-2010, 08:36 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Hi Lex, I have to admit I have the opposite problem - my family was omni growing up, and my mom loved to cook - and always had some kind of meat thing in the oven. When I visit my parents' house now, I always seem to associate the food smells with growing up, holidays, and good, homey warm and fuzzy feelings.

^ This is me too. My father is forever cooking something meaty and delicious when I stop by there, and it doesn't disgust me, it just makes me drool, lol. He loves to rub it in my face that I don't eat that stuff anymore.
#9 Old 01-21-2010, 08:36 AM
Veggie Regular

Not the same thing, but a lot of people I serve at work smell AWFUL. I think its a combination of sweaty, unwashed clothes and baccy. Whatever it is, its disgusting. If possible, I try to keep my favourite lipbalm with me, and I sniff that...its not as strong as the menthol options others have suggested, but when I am at work its more discreet for me to do that!

I been veggie since I was a kid, and I hate to say it...I LIKE the smell of most cooking food...even meat.

I did a speech for English class as well on animal testing...I would have been about 14. At the time everyone was like 'wow...animal testing for concealer sucks' and then at next break you'd see them slatehring on the L'Oreal makeup like the world was gonna end. I would just think 'so it went in one ear and straight out the other?'
#10 Old 01-21-2010, 09:18 AM
Veggie Regular

Haha Yea I'm with Kellye, sometimes I drool at the smell of meat since I was omni growing up, but then when I see it I definitely feel gross, smells can be very powerful though, whether the smell of meat makes you salivate or makes you want to puke.

I have one thing that I'm similar to you with... Just one dish. When I was omni, I HATED beef stew. It was just so gross to me every time I had it! (Sorry to anyone who loved beef stew) But the stew all thick with meaty-ness and vegetables turning all soggy cuz of it and chunks of cow..BLEGH

So now when I see or ESPECIALLY smell beef stew, I definitely feel like I need to go puke. One time I had to give cold leftover beef stew to my dogs and I had to chop it up in their bowls... ughhh..

I gotta go drink some water.. o___o haha
#11 Old 01-21-2010, 05:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Usually the smell of meat doesn't bother me too much since I was raised omni. But recently my roommate bought fried chicken from the deli section of the grocery store, and held it in her lap on the drive home (in my car.) I had to hold my breath the entire time (or at least breathe through my mouth) because I could not stand the smell. It was repulsive!

Sometimes when they cook meat in the apartment the smell bothers me, but usually I'm fine. I just try not to breathe

I'm lucky now that I live at home again and there is never any meat in my household.
#12 Old 01-24-2010, 06:02 PM

It has always bugged me....I either avoid it or try to deal as best as I can.....good luck
#13 Old 01-31-2010, 01:13 PM

The smell doesn't really bother me, but the sight of raw meat makes me really squeamish these days. It never used to bother me though, so that's weird...I think it's cos I don't associate it with food anymore and it just looks like a lump of dead animal to me now. *shiver*

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page