More news on lab grown meat. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-17-2010, 10:39 AM

DELETED - PLEASE BAN/DELETE THIS ACCOUNT

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-17-2010, 10:54 AM
Super Moderator

We only like meat because it's a given food. So much that we take for granted as things to consume are totally gross. Beetles to color, animal piss to soften our skin, killing moths for expensive clothes, inhaling toxic smoke that gets us addicted and sick, transfats to practically ensure cardio sickness. The idea of eating animal flesh would repulse us if it weren't learned. I also worry about the experiments on animals it will take for this to happen. Is it realistic to think we'd just reuse the same cell lines?

Humans already have the taste for meat. If lab grown meat was for the masses, the rich would require more exotic meats.

I could see this as feasible for animal food. Cats in particular are an important part of our society, and they're not going to go away. Artifically created meats could be a good answer.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#3 Old 01-17-2010, 11:12 AM
Banned

I think it would be easier for people to go with the moral side of veg*nism if a perfect replica of animal flesh were available. I truly believe most omnis know that meat production is wrong and feel guilty about it, but society makes it so easy to repress and ignore that. How many times have we all heard "oh I couldn't go vegetarian because I'd miss _____[bacon, usually]". If they could get cruelty-free bacon, how many more people would be willing to put their hands up and say "hey - killing animals for food is wrong and we should stop"?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-17-2010, 07:58 PM
Beginner

I don't think I would eat it...just something about it...weirds me out...but if it leads to more people going veg*n, then it's a good thing. I know...hypocritical of me.
#5 Old 01-18-2010, 12:38 AM
Beginner

The ends justifies the means, IMO. Anything that helps decrease demand for meat from living beings is a good thing.

Not sure if I would eat it though. Likely would try it.
#6 Old 01-18-2010, 01:06 AM
Veggie Regular

Even if I wasn't a new veggie, I wouldn't eat it. There is something that doesn't sit well with me. At all. I don't know what, but it doesn't feel right. I wouldn't ever wear fake fur because I feel it says fur is still acceptable to wear - and it isn't. Animal fur is one of nature's beauties - on an animal and looks repulsive to me on a human. Somewhere in my head that logic applies to the artificial meat but I can't articulate it.

I do understand the argument for reducing the mass production of meat through killing animals though. But I don't think the general populus will go for it. I think they'll still prefer "real" meat.
#7 Old 01-18-2010, 01:41 AM
AAG

I would not eat it, and i would surtenly react if someone did eat it and called themself a vegeterian. I dont care if meat started dropping from the sky, meat is not food for humans. It's unnatural and unhealthy no matter where it comes from.
#8 Old 01-18-2010, 02:03 AM
Give peas a chance

My favorite quote from the story:

"But after growing disappointingly thin sheets of tissue, NASA gave up and decided it would be better for its astronauts to simply eat vegetarian."

Vegan Cookbooks Illustrated

http://vegan-cookbooks-illustrated.blogspot.com/

http://pinterest.com/VeganCookbooks/

#9 Old 01-18-2010, 02:56 AM

If the production of artificial leather does not eliminat the demand for leather......
#10 Old 01-18-2010, 03:11 AM
Veggie Regular

^^^^

Exactly what OUCH said.
#11 Old 01-18-2010, 07:44 AM

There are TWO reasons I am a Vegetarian.

#1. Animal protein is bad for human health.

#2. There is no need to raise animals for the slaughter.

I would not eat manufactured meat because it is still animal protein.

Have a healthy day....Deenis
#12 Old 01-18-2010, 09:05 AM
Veggie Regular

Since I've never tasted meat, I think I would be curious to try it.
#13 Old 01-18-2010, 03:10 PM
Give peas a chance

Whether or not scientists can replicate realistic tasting animal flesh is only half the issue. If it is going to stand any chance of acceptance they are going to have to produce it at a price point that is equal or less than the wholesale price of real animal flesh. Are they going to be able to turn this stuff out at $1.50-$2 a pound? Because people aren't going to pay $10 a pound for frankenmeats. There are plenty of pretty good faux meat products on the market today which are priced at about twice the rate of their real counterparts, and there doesn't seem to be overwhelming demand for them.

I was at a reception a number of years ago for the artist Nam June Paik, and there was something he said that has stuck with me. He incorporated technology and robots into some of his works. One of the other guests asked him if he thought there would come a day when humans would no longer fight wars... a time when robots would do all the fighting. His response was (paraphrased) "No. Robots are too expensive. 18 year old humans will always be cheaper." I think it is kind of the same issue with animals. The lab meat is interesting science, but it's cheaper for people to exploit animals.

Vegan Cookbooks Illustrated

http://vegan-cookbooks-illustrated.blogspot.com/

http://pinterest.com/VeganCookbooks/

#14 Old 01-18-2010, 03:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Well, I for one am not really interested in lab-grown meat and I don't think I would eat it even if I were assured that it was delicious and tasted exactly like actual meat. My husband, however, woefully waits for the day when this stuff is available.
#15 Old 01-18-2010, 03:38 PM
Beginner

I didn't say I expect it to eliminate demand for meat, but to decrease it. I'm not sure to what extent it could do this, but I could see it helping more people make the decision to not eat meat from animals (whether that makes them veg*n or not). For me, I did not become veg*n because I thought meat was just gross (as I was raised omni), but beacuse I did not want to contribute to the mistreatment and killing of other beings. I agree that the idea of synthetic meat is a bit weird, but it is something I would likely try out of curiousity. I think there are tons of other processed foods out there that are just as weird/gross that many veg*ns are willing to eat. These are things I am slowly working out of my diet, but not foods I oppose on any moral grounds.
#16 Old 01-21-2010, 11:08 PM

only veg
#17 Old 01-22-2010, 10:07 AM
Banned

ewwwwwwwwwww this is gross and its not coming to our home because my husband don't like fake foods or even the fake meats out there. I believe they are doing this to make some more extra bucks its sicking how they want money over peoples health.

#18 Old 01-22-2010, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthling View Post

If they could get cruelty-free bacon, how many more people would be willing to put their hands up and say "hey - killing animals for food is wrong and we should stop"?

Heh. Not the people who want Kosher meat.

But, I agree. There would be some people whose choice would also be accompanied by sympathy for the beings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post

Whether or not scientists can replicate realistic tasting animal flesh is only half the issue.

Not replicate. Not realistic. The actual thing.

Soy is a replication. Cloning the cells is, bone for bone, muscle for muscle, the same thing. Modifying it through genetics makes it better for you and better tasting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAG View Post

I would not eat it, and i would surtenly react if someone did eat it and called themself a vegeterian.

Anybody who eats meat and call themselves a vegetarian is being dim. So what's this got to do with anything?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAG View Post

I dont care if meat started dropping from the sky, meat is not food for humans. It's unnatural and unhealthy no matter where it comes from.

Uh, sure it is. There is clear evidence from the Neolithic eras and the Paleolithic that humans killed meat for food. It was clearly in their nature.

If taffy started falling from the sky, which is unhealthy and unnatural, I would still eat it. People make their choices as vegetarians for seperate reasons--health issues or ethical issues. Some people eat unhealthy foods at their pleasure. I'm not here to debate their choice in that, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post

"No. Robots are too expensive. 18 year old humans will always be cheaper." I think it is kind of the same issue with animals. The lab meat is interesting science, but it's cheaper for people to exploit animals.

Lurk moar.

"Post and colleagues haven't worked out how much the meat would cost to produce commercially, but because there would be much less land, water and energy required, he guessed that once production reached an industrial level, the cost would be equivalent to or lower than that of conventionally produced meat."

Did you even read the article?

All of us have to remember that science is the very thing that has made things cheaper and more efficient. Computers used to be large. Now, you can access the internet with a handheld iPhone.

Remember. Torturing and slaughtering pigs costs a lot of stressed workers and their paycheques. It costs pigs, it costs space, room, watering down the pigs, removing their hair with a machine that costs a bit to keep on, skinning them, inspecting them for disease, and so on.

Growing the meat in a lab without any of this hassle, with nothing but the cells? It's practically free.

Science is very cheap. I believe 1/50th of the money that is spent on the US military per year, is spent on the Hubble Space Telescope per year. By 2050 it is likely that it will cost tens of dollars to transport humans into space.

Remember, civilisation is a monument to science.

The only people who will want to eat slaughtered animals after this, are insane zealots who wish to murder and spend more money...

...Or the people who require Kosher meat. Yay religion. =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veggieforhim08 View Post

ewwwwwwwwwww [...] my husband don't like fake foods or even the fake meats out there.

It's not fake.

They are using cloning, the genome. They are growing cells. This is the very technology used to clone. People can be cloned just like all organisms can--would a human who was cloned in a lab be fake to you?

It's a mis-informed train of thought like that, that justifies the very idea of breeding clone people as slaves.

"As long as it's cheap enough and has been proven to be scientifically valid, I can't see any reason people wouldn't eat it," said Stig Omholt, a genetics expert at the University of Life Sciences in Norway. "If you look at the sausages and other things people are willing to eat these days, this should not be a big problem."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veggieforhim08 View Post

I believe they are doing this to make some more extra bucks its sicking how they want money over peoples health.

But they, the men and women just like us who toil in the lab for the benefit of mankind, are making it better, and healthier. As far as we've gotten right now, there are around 10% less proteins, and more nucleic amino acids.

Fish stem cells could be used to produce healthy omega 3 fatty acids, which could be mixed with the lab-produced pork instead of the usual artery-clogging fats found in livestock meat.

"You could possibly design a hamburger that prevents heart attacks instead of causing them," Matheny said.

Just as an example.
#19 Old 01-24-2010, 05:44 AM
Veggie Regular

Oooh I just had a thought. Would lab created pork/bacon be kosher? If it technically didn't come from a hoven anima and was properly preparedl it would be kosher right?
#20 Old 01-24-2010, 06:51 AM
Veggie Regular

It costs a certain amount of dollars to produce real meat. They have fuel, feed, worker, land and processing costs. They can't really affect the time it takes to produce a certain type of meat either.

Lab grown meat may not have nearly as many restrictions. They may start with an inefficient process, but over time lab grown meat may be cheaper and faster to market than traditional meat. With the emphasis on the cheaper part, we may see lab grown meat make a huge dent in traditional meat production (over time). We could see the number of cows destroyed each year drop from the millions to the tens of thousands. I would LOVE to see meat production outlawed, but a huge reduction in the suffering would be a great step in the right direction.

If lab grown meat becomes a commercial reality, and factory farms shrink to a fraction of their size (lots of *ifs*) the potential environmental impact could be HUGE! Meat/dairy production produce a lot of toxic waste and more climate-altering gasses than all the cars/trucks/planes put together.

While the idea of eating lab grown meat does not appeal that much to me individually, I can't ignore its potential impact.

--
The Twilight Is My Robe
#21 Old 01-24-2010, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delicious View Post

Since I've never tasted meat, I think I would be curious to try it.

i never thought about it from that perspective before. that would be kinda weird for you wouldnt it
#22 Old 01-24-2010, 10:51 AM
Super Moderator

Wouldn't acceptance of a veg. diet decrease the meat demand?? If you could find equal veg. options at any restaurant, grocery, cookings shows etc.? If kids were raised to understand they didn't have to eat the yucky meat? I find more children complain about meat than vegetables- it's just never substantiated like veg. dislike is. So many adults agree that vegetables are yucky but kids have to eat them. Meat always seems like a given.

If vege**n diets were just accepted, and cooking veg was as widespread as omni cooking, I guarentee more people would go veg for all sorts of reasons. fake meats would only serve to downplay the viability of the veg life.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page